1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Would you go to a physical BJD store?

Dec 21, 2014

1. Would you go to it?

The first time I was in a BJD store was THE ONE for me, I mean, I was SOOOO exiced because OMG, it was the legendary Tenshi no Sato, the place where the angels live and stuff...
      So the first thing I did when I arrived to Japan was to change trains in Osaka to Kyoto and in Kyoto to Arashiyama to go to that magical place.
      So that answers the question... YES, I didn't thought so much about it, and certainly I didn't care about my poor old brother who was wasted with the jet lag and followed me like a zombie wherever I was going to. I would have to suspect something about him being wasted when I was trying to build and FCS and I could hear him snoring next to me.

Well, now that I remember, I was one year before at Luts in Korea but it wasn't an store itself, it was more than a warehouse but I was also very excited to be there and the staff were sooooo kind. I remember that it was the "Pepero day" and Steven gave me some peperos (pockys in Korea) and I loved it a lot.

What would you expect to find there?

I was young and passionate and I had to admit that I didn't expect to find so much stuff in a doll store. I didn't had expectatives so everything was I surprise and I ended up buying too much at the begining.

What would you want it to have?

Well, some of the shops I visited have this things but the things I like are:
      -A cafe to have some drinks while you are chatting with your friends about your dolls.
      -A space to take photos or simply relax with your dolls.
      -A space where some custom clases or workshops could be made. Sometimes I see a new custom product and I have to figure out how to use it.
      -Fabric corner: For those who like to sew our own dresses. Why? Because if you go to a regular fabric store, most of the time they sell to you too much fabric.

Would you be fine with it having other hobbies in there too?

Actually most of this shops have dolls and other hobbies there. I love that.

If you have been to a physical bjd store, how was it??

As I said, at first was exciting and I was buying like crazy because the first two summers I went to Japan to study, the shop was not so close from the academy.
      The problem came when I decided to study in Osaka, where the academy was in Nipponbashi... ALL THE INTERESTING SHOPS WERE OVER THERE... near the academy.
      So well... The first day, when the classes started, the first year I was in Osaka I bought a doll... I bought a lot of things and it was as exciting as always but little by little I had restraint myself and say: "NOOOO... don't look the big billdboard of Volks that you can see from the window of the academy... no, Azone is also banned, and Yellow Submarine too..."
      And I had to live like that for 2 months and a half or 3, it depended of the year I had.
      Of course there were times that I went crazy and I visited the stores with my doll and I loved it.
      There were some funny moments like when I listened the conversations of two young boys about their Dollfie Dreams who were dressed a bit... well... without fabric... and they were talking about their dolls were keeping themselves "pure" until marriage. I thougt "I see... so that's because they wear almost no clothes, so everyone can see their purity LOL".
      Also I got surprised when they were selling Vallejo paintings. I heard a demostration video talking in perfect Spanish and I tought: "OMG, it tastes like home!!!". The shop assistant asked me if I knew what language was that XD "Is my language", I replied hahahaha.

2. It would be great to make a showroom where I can try on wigs & shoes for my dolls (main problem for me because of size differences between each individual copy). Cafe & photozone are the good ideas too.
      The only place I have visited was doll exhibition with small market zone (mostly for needlework).

3. I would love to but know there isn’t one in UK. Not sure I’d want to travel alone to Europe - doubt my husband would want to.

4. I would love to visit an actual bjd store i think that would be awesome that way u can have a decent look and get all the stuff u need

5. .

#585 Gintsumi, Dec 17, 2018
      Last edited: Feb 29, 2024
    6. Would you go to it?
      Just try to keep me OUT of it.

Dolls (if not in stock, then displays of available preorders), clothes, shoes, accessories, maintenance supplies/tools

Everything I mentioned in the last answer.

It would be amazing if they had sewing supplies in doll scale, eye making supplies, cameras, backgrounds, sculpting and any other hobby that could be connected!

7. Would you go to it?
      Heck yeah!

Displays of new dolls and upcoming releases, clothes and similar for sale.

Pretty much the above. Maybe photos from owners on display? I think that would be cute, to see dolls from all over the world submitted for the store to display.

So long as they're related, I don't see any problems?

Yes! I wasn't very involved in BJDs yet, so it was pretty overwhelming, to be honest. I didn't know where to look, and ended up walking out empty handed after just ogling all the beautiful dolls on display. hahaha

8. When IDEX was a thing in Florida my mother and I went every year. We loved it! We have also found non-bjd doll shops that we go to and have a great time exploring outfits and latest releases.... So....

Would you go to it?

YES! Please someone in Florida open a BJD store! (Or send me to Japan.......)

I would love a shop to have a range of bjd stuff, not dedicated to just one brand since the shops are hard to come by where I am.

Some bjds for sale (basic and full set) from different brands and in different sizes. Some wigs would be awesome, lots of outfits for different sizes, and SHOES for the love of all things I need shoes!

I do not really know how to answer this. Do you mean dolls other that bjds? Heck yea! I collect all kinds of dolls and a one-stop-shop would be fantastic!
      If you mean combining a bjd shop and a music shop? Or bjds in Hallmark? I might find it a little odd but I also play musical instruments and like Hallmark, so as long as I am not messed with I do not think it would be a problem.

Kinda mentioned above the questions, I have been to doll shops not focused on bjds and have loved it! The people who work in doll stores are either the owners of the shop or like dolls and do not think it weird for a grown woman to carry one around. I have been in stores owned by collectors (which is great) and have been in the American Girl Store and always find a bunch of people who are not judgmental and often want to talk about dolls just as much as me! I have also been to conventions which is amazing!!!!! All in all, I have never had a bad experience in a doll store.

9. Oh man, I would LOVE to go to a physical BJD store! It will probably never happen because I am broke as heckie, but I would love it! It would be so nice to actually get to go in and SEE the dolls... not just pictures... before you decide!

10. I loved seeing the volks store in tokyo. They have doll near the top floor and many other hobbies like figures and model trains. I even picked up some nice craft suff on the other floors like clay and tools. The best part was see the dolls in person. Most of them are way prettier in person than the company photos. Plus there is a dolk store in the building next door with heaps of different brands. I was took broke to buy anything tho :atremblin

11. Yep! My friend @lesslovingangel and I went to one while we were in Taiwan and had a blast checking out outfits and wigs.

12. Yes would love to go to a bjd store. Clothing props o my. And not have to wait months to get things.

13. I took a trip to Japan last week and visited DOLK Station and Mandarake, honestly it was a bit of a letdown, DOLK station is more for SD size dolls same with Mandarake, but I think Mandarake was the most dissapointing, it only had four little tubs for BJD things and one for MSD size. If i ever went to America I would like to go to Denver Doll and at least experience it

14. I wish so bad that they had physical BJD stores near me, or really doll stores of any kind. I remember when I was a kid there was a doll store in my downtown and I loved it so much. I bought my first expensive dolls there (OT dolls) on layaway. I would haunt the heck out of a BJD store! I want to work in one as well. It would be so cool to be in a dolly-lovers hub, somewhere to meet people and help people shop. I'd have so many things on layaway haha! I find dolls way harder to resist in person.

15. Would you go to it? If in UK I would be there like a shot and more than likely be bankrupt

What would you expect to find there? A good selection of all the wonderful BJD companies ware, clothes and wigs etc, props and items for face ups etc

Apart from the above a café as I would need endless cups of tea to calm down my excitement. An area for people to sit and chat try outfits on their dolls, and a room for meet ups

Would you be fine with it having other hobbies in there too? not sure as that might take away space for the BJD but if model horses had a little corner …..

If you have been to a physical bjd store, how was it?? N/A I can only dream

16. I wish we had bjd stores where I am. I would expect to find clothes and eyes, props and wigs. Some dolls as well, y'know. Maybe tools and stuff. I've never been to one but I hope to someday.

17. I could only wish to go to one in my lifetime. :)

18. Would you go to it?

Absolutely but doubt they'll be one near me anytime soon

Dolls, clothes, shoes, wigs, everything you could need for them.

A cafe would be great

I think so

I haven't :(

19. Hey I like to go because I always can find the ones I need to wait for a long time if I order online.

20. Would you go to it?
      I would go there every weekend lol

Propably clothes, accessories but also some bjds
      A variety of doll bodies, heads, etc.

Sure! I wouldn' t mind if there were any non bjd related items to buy there, too

I really wanna go to japan' s volk store one day, that' s one of my big dreams ^^