1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Would you go to a physical BJD store?

Dec 21, 2014

1. Would you go to it?

If i had time to go and had others available to go as well (maybe not even with others) then i would certainly go. Ive been to a volks store in Akihabara with figures and such (didnt even realize til afterwards LOL) but i would go as long as it had stuff i would be interested in.

What would you expect to find there?

I would hope there would be various clothing, along with accessories, shoes, wigs, hopefully furniture, but i could even see people having dolls there for sale as consignment.

What would you want it to have?

see answer above. also maybe a cafe of sorts too for Meet ups.

Would you be fine with it having other hobbies in there too?

would be nice if it was somewhat separated so the people with bjds could either try stuff on, or buy in peace. and the others for other hobbies would do the same. i feel if this place existed i would either have to work there to get discounts

If you have been to a physical bjd store, how was it??

I haven't, but i want to go to the store in my imagination.

2. I would love to! I’d especially love to go to one of the huge Volks stores in Japan. There’s a doll emporium near where I live, but they don’t specialize in BJDs. I’ve still been able to find stuff for my girls though.

3. Would you go to it?

Yes definitely

I wanted to find instock dolls mainly but the business wouldn't survive in my country

Dolls too my liking... But more wualiquhandmadeq clothes would be nice

I have a dollfie cum game shop in my country! Perfect mix of the two things i love

Not bjd but dollfie because the only bjd shop closed down in Singapore (lack of customer)
      It just won't survive in my country..

It was okay, small as expected, but still happy that there's actually a doll related shop

4. Would you go to it?
      Yup.

A lot of dolls, clothes and accesories.

Shoes! It's very hard to find proper size.

Don't care, if it's not disturb dolls.

Booooring. Few clothes, too many DIY things.

5. Would you go to it?
      Sure!

Everything? I mean, there should at least be a little bit of everything one would need...

Hmm. Dolls and clothes are obvious, but wigs and other parts would be great.

I'm not sure why it would matter as long as they have what you want stocked.

I went to the Volks in Sannomiya, Kobe. I also went to the Volks in Osaka, but apparently not the correct floor for the dolls! >_< It's fine though, I was staying in Kobe and made a day trip to Osaka but was starting to get sick so I didn't have the energy to look (I was sick for the rest of my trip :-( ). It was my fifth time in Japan and I'm sure I'll be back so I'm not too hurt over it.

The Kobe shop was amazing and what got me started in the hobby. I'd heard of the dolls, but never saw them in person. The vast selection on display and crazy amount of detail really sold me. The shop had a huge selection of clothes (some of which weren't even available in the US at the time!), wigs, eyes, parts, even paint supplies and air compressors. It was pretty impressive. I think the Kobe shop is also one of the smaller stores (I know it was for the other parts of the store at least), so I can't wait to see some of the others.

I saw a few people come in with their dolls and take photos of them in the displays too. It was really cool to see what other people had done with their dolls and showed me how customizable they are!

6. Would you go to it? Uh, HECK YEAH.

Maybe some BJD's, but mostly clothes and wigs and eyes and maintenance tools and stuff.

I would LOVE lots of props and accessories.

Sure. I could see other non-BJD doll stuff, maybe other scale modeling stuff, etc.

7. Would you go to it?
      Definitely! I would at least want to window shop, if not buy something.

I'd definitely want to see actual dolls, but a lot of clothes and accessories would be nice, too. Shopping for doll clothes online makes me slightly nervous about how well the clothes will actually fit, so I feel like looking through clothes in person would be a relief!

Clothes and furniture would be the big ones, it'd be cool if there were some secondhand dolls.

Yeah! It'd probably be best if they were stuff that was still somewhat relevant or related, like Pullips or Re-Ment stuff.

I unfortunately have not been lucky enough to be close enough to one to visit.

8. Would you go to it?

Absolutely

Hmmmm, doll company catalogues with options etc. So that they could be ordered at the store. Maybe a doll from each company to have a look at and perhaps some resin samples from each company to help with ordering? I would expect some clothing to be available in standard sizes, wigs, and definitely eyes. Some faceup supplies.

WiFi, a BJD expert, and not just someone who is just there to get paid. Workers that are passionate and knowledgable, but not bias for or against any one company. I'd like it to have very explicit and up to date recast information available, so that passersby learn about how horrible this practice is, and what to avoid.

A meetup area for coffee, maybe a couple of roomboxes for various sizes for photography etc.

Regular meets.

I think so. This hobby crosses over with many others, including porcelain doll making and reborns. Basic doll making supplies would be good, but not the whole range. That would be too much.

It would be so cool if each month or two there were classes for different things. Faceups or reborn painting, wig making, making eyes, sewing or whatnot. Things to bring in more revenue by putting a price on attendance at classes, and attendees paying for supplies but at a discounted 'learners price'. Hooking them in means they'll be more confident to do it outside the shop and then they'll need to buy supplies for home.

9. Would you go to it?
      Yes

Naked and Fullset Dolls along with accessories for them (clothes/shoes/eyes/wigs/etc).

Besides the dolls and stuff for them, a lounge room. Maybe private rooms to be able to host meets at. Or even a professional photo set-up so you can bring your camera to shoot.

You mean for non-bjd dolls? I feel they would be so out of place so I would have to say I would not be fine. If others want to express their other hobbies like wearing lolita, sure.

I went to Dollheart in LA (I think it's closed now). It was super fun because I was able to try on clothes or look at them in person before purchasing.

10. I would definitely go if there was one in my city.
      I would love to see a doll in real life before committing to buy it.
      Variety of brands would be good to compare posing and quality.
      I would not mind having other stuff to sell, but only doll store would be super cool.

11. i actually grew up in japan and they had those stores and every so often when i go and visit family i go back to the stores, i personally love them they have all sorts of brand dolls/clothes/parts/accessories and its really nice to actually physically see and touch the item before buying

12. Would you go to it?
      Yes! I would love to go to a physical bjd store! I was in Denver about a year ago, and would have gone to Denver Doll, but I wasn't able to make it due to a concert my parents were going to.
      I would hope to find many different sizes of dolls and different brands as well.
      I would want it to have display dolls and the option to try on clothes on your own dolls. I think that would be a really nice addition because it shows that they really want you to be able to enjoy what you bought.
      Of course! In my opinion, the more hobbies the better!
      Sadly, I haven't had the pleasure.

13. Yes, I would go! I would take a bunch of my doll club friends along.
      I would expect to find a range of dolls, some unpainted and some with face ups.
      I would like to see a friendly and knowledgeable staff.
      I would be fine with other hobbies being there as long as they were somehow doll connected.
      No, I have never been to a BJD store. I don't even know where one is located.

14. I would love to go to a BJD store, but I've never been. The nearest one is a few hundred miles away from where I live. One day, maybe I'll get to go to one. I would want there to be dolls, wigs, clothes, accessories, eyes, props, tools. Stuff from other hobbies in the store would be fine, I'd browse that stuff too.

15. Oh man, I wish this was an option. Being able to handle different resins and see how dolls pose, and even see the sculpts in real life would be so much easier than shopping online!

Would i expect to see other hobbies there? I suppose if one was really trying to set up a bjd shop, it might be a good idea to be a doll shop generally - you get a broader range of customers, and they might want to branch out into bjds and vice versa, growing the hobby.

A display area would be awesome with a handful of staged scenes or we'll dressed dolls to look at, like in an art museum.

16. It would be a dream to have a physical bjd store in my town. Like anything, I think people enjoy seeing and feeling the product first hand so that would be a plus. Also trying on clothes for your dolls to see how they fit would help tons

17. I’m not that far away from Denver Doll Emporium where I live now and since I bought my first BJD from them 12 years ago, I’d love to visit their store! I’d love to see all the dolls and accessories they have in stock because I’m so familiar with their online store already. I think it would be so cool to visit the Pipos Store as well if I ever find myself on that side of the world! I think it would be an amazing experience, especially if I brought my own Bahas to say hi! :D

18. I've been to the Volks store in Akihabara and visited the DOLK store in Osaka loads, as well as a few visits to different Mandarake. I love it, I love being able to see all the dolls and the accessories in person! It's wonderful. When I can rebook my trip to Japan (thanks Covid...) I'm itching to get back to them. I wish the UK had a store, but I doubt the market here would be big enough....

19. Would you go to it?
      I would absolutely go!
      I would probably find wigs and clothes.
      I would love to find a store that has props and furniture for MSD and SD dolls.
      I think it would be really neat to have other hobbies there too.

20. Would you go to it? Yes! I love the experience of going to a shop. Its not just a shop, remember the experience behind!

clothes to try out for my dollies and a place to try out things!

clothes, wigs, accesories, shoes. Like a boutique!

If they shade out the BJd hobbie, I'm okay with it.

If you have been to a physical bjd store, how was it?? I
      have never, been to one. I lost my opportunity when I went to Japan.