1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Would you let your kids play with your dolls?

Oct 25, 2010

1. For me, it depends on the child. A child I don't know, probably not. My daughter, yes. She has a Custom house Hani of her own and she only plays with her doll (and sometimes my dolls) when I have my dolls out and only when I am surpervising her. After we are finished with the dolls (either taking pictures, changing their clothes etc...) they go right back on the shelf so they don't get damaged. Then again, my daughter has been around my dolls since she was born and I have always taught her to be gentle with the dolls, not to touch their faces, not to leave them standing on the furniture, to always hold them with both hands etc...

2. I don't see a reason to let kids play with an expensive collectible item. If they really wanted to play with a BJD, I'd buy them their own cheap BJD or dollfie. They wouldn't know the difference and they could jack it up and I wouldn't care.

3. Trust me. T.T.. My young daughter broke my precious Chi-u's face and knee. I was really about to cry at that moment. Now, my daughters glow up little bit, but still I do not let them play with my Sd,MSD, and Yo-SD. I allow them play with barbies ^^.
      And they do not seems like interest in BJD anymore.

4. Just use your common sense and judgment people. Some kids, aka young people, are capable and respectful of other people's things, and then some aren't. Take it on a case by case basis. I love sharing my dolls with everyone, so long as they respect the fact that BJDs are NOT toys and should not be treated as such.

5. I've let little kids look at my BJDs before. If it's a kid I know will be careful, and if I explain very clearly beforehand that they have to be EXTRA careful so they don't hurt her, they're usually ok. Most of the time they're perfectly content to look but not touch.
      There is a girl that came to a meetup once, and she was probably only 10 or 11. Most kids that age I probably wouldn't trust, but since she is obviously accustomed to BJDs I had no problem letting her play with my dolls by herself.
      It really does depend on the kid though.

6. My kids play with my dolls all the time. I also leave them totally lying around within their reach. Also they have their own BJDs, some of them not so cheap. The youngest one is five.
      They are not little animals, they understand that a BJD is not a Barbie. They have never broken or ruined anything, the worst trauma any doll has suffered in my home has been at my hands (mostly due to face planting) and at the teeth of my dog when she was a puppy (she chewed one of my doll's feet. Eeep)

7. Depends if I trust my kids. If, over time, I learn that they can handle a doll, then by all means. If I know they aren't going to treat the dolls right, then no.

8. NO, NO, NO!

I don't care if it's my kids or someone else's. I've never met a child who didn't absolutely destroy their toys. My kids know better than to touch my dolls, by now. Kids are just destructive, even if they don't mean to be.

9. Firstly, I really think a BJD shouldn't be given to a child, however, if my 5 years old asks me to pick one of my dolls, I will let her do, under hard supervision of course. ;)
      But she's never interested anyway... she says my dolls are not nice and not fun, and always complains saying that combing hair, changing clothes and photographing is not playing for her!!!!!! LOL

10. no never :) i just spend to much money on it ... i may let them look or hold for a second ... but no playing ... it´s normal for kids to be destructive ^^

11. I don't have any kids nor do I plan to have them in the future, but I certainly wouldn't let them play with my dolls. I do have a nephew and a niece, both too small to even hold the dolls properly and they seem to like throwing things around the floor, so no, I wouldn't let them play with the dolls either, unless when older, if they are careful and I still would hesitate to let them touch them. So mostly no. ^^'

12. For me, the dolls are only worth their money if I and those I love can get enjoyment out of them. If I let a kid/my kid play with a doll of mine and it broke or was damaged, I would be sad but to me it's not worth keeping something I love constantly separate from the people I love. I would want to share it with them! Now, I wouldn't give a doll to a kid still in the stick-everything-in-my-mouth phase, but that's for the safety of the child. If my son/daughter or any other kid close to me wanted to play with my dolls, I'd warn them to be careful, supervise them as best I can, and hope for the best.

But saying that, I definitely understand why people would not want to let children play with their dolls. To some, they might feel so connected to a character that seeing them get hurt would be a tragedy, or the sculpt might be a rare or limited doll, so I don't judge people for not feeling the way I do.

For me, I won't buy limited dolls because I don't want to live in fear of damaging them and never being able to replace them, and because my dolls are just physical manifestations of characters in my head, if the doll is damaged beyond repair I can just get them a new body. :)

13. Depends on the kid whether or not I'd let them handle my dolls. Some kids are rampaging tornadoes of destruction while others are somewhat sensible (or at least horrified of being punished for breaking someone's stuff).

Same as I'd treat kids around my other expensive items.

14. It isn't just with limited dolls. Even the "cheaper" dolls can cost over $100. And not everybody can afford to lose that much money due to a careless child. That MNF Lishe you're saving for isn't LE. Would you be OK giving her to a child?

15. I understand that there are likely going to be times when I can't "just replace" a doll. I'm a broke undergrad right now, and I'm going to be a broke grad student after this. My parents don't pay for anything of mine, not even tuition or room and board thanks to scholarships and student loans, and I'm working three part time jobs at college to pay for my clothes, books, and spending money. It would hurt, a lot, to have the $500 I'll be dropping on her flushed down the drain. I wouldn't be able to replace her for a long time.

But, on the other hand, the little kids I am close to, my cousins, children of my parents' friends, etc., are...precious to me, and I imagine my own children will be even more precious. I like spending time with them and having fun with them, so if they want to see my doll, I'll let them. I love BJDs too much not to share them. And, weighing the risks, I've decided that if I lose a doll, I'll live. It'll suck, but I'll save up again, and buy a new doll.

Simple answer to your question: Yes, I would be perfectly okay giving my Lishe to a child.

16. I would under certain circumstances. I have a friend whom has a daughter and I would let her touch them but only if shes really careful with them. I am pretty carefree for the most part about somethings. I mean I let her play my Ipad which cost a lot of money as well and shes pretty good with it.. Shes a smart kid tho and understands what people tell her. My little cousins however might not be as lucky.. as I see them romp around the house the way they do. So it really kind of just depends on how well the child behaves.

17. I wouldn't let my 9 yr old daughter actually "play" with my dolls. Like take it to her room to play but she is allowed to hold them and pose them with me there. I got her a 60cm Obitsu for her birthday and she is great with her. The doll lives in my room with my dolls and she always wants me to dress her because she is so scared she will break. I will probably get her a YoSd size for her first resin doll. I also collect antique dolls so my daughter is very careful with all dolls.
      Kids that are not mine? Never!

18. Nope. My "kids" are 22 and 27, so not really an issue for me. If they were little, I might have let them gently play with them with me watching on a special occasion, but never unattended.

When I was little I was pretty careful with my dolls- didn't mess up their hair, break them, etc. But my mom let me play with her little plastic Queen Elizabeth Coronation goblets that she got when Queen Elizabeth visited the US right after she was crowned, and I broke them. I had no concept that they were any different than my regular plastic dime store dishes.

She also had a hand-carved village with trees, people, and animals that came from Switzerland. She had gotten them as a child, so they were from the 1920s. When I was sick in bed, she used to give me a lapboard and let me set them up and play with them. But she always put them away afterwards. I still have that little village. If she had let me just play with them anytime, I'm sure I would have lost them.

So- if I had my BJDs when my daughters were little- no, I wouldn't let them play with mine. I might get them each a Sprite or something inexpensive and keep them with my dolls, so if they wanted to play with a "special" doll they would have one.

19. I'm still in college, so I don't have any kids or plan to right now, but hypothetically speaking I'd keep them away from young children. Kids who are 8 and up, well...it depends on their maturity level. If he/she understood that the doll was special and handled it gently, then yeah, I'd let him/her play with it for a bit. Supervised, though. I'm too much of a worrywart to leave something like that alone with a kid for possibly hours on end. Accidents happen, after all.

20. If you leave any child alone with anything for hours you are an irresponsible parent or caregiver.
      My girls play with my dolls all the time, the younger more than the elder. In fact, the only one who has ever damaged a doll in my house (besides my bad puppy when she chewed my Ylisandes foot) was me.