1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Would you let your kids play with your dolls?

Oct 25, 2010

1. My daughter just turned 5. She has been interested in mommies dolls for a long time. My husband and I talk all the time about how one day she will want one and how much she likes mine.
      I do let her touch them. She's more soft and careful then I am, at times. I jokingly told my husband that I wanted to buy her a aloha mint frog. ... I just bought her, and maybe in a few years it'll become hers. I love this hobby and would love to see my daughters in it. Kinda like how denaliwind is in it and so is her mom!

I trust my daughter quite a bit I don't leave them in reaching distance just because my oldest isn't my only one. I have a 3 year old boy and a 1 and a half year old girl and a tiny new born. So I don't want any unwanted touching going on when mommy isn't looking.
      I think it's on a different bases. You can gadge if your kid will handle with care. I let her hold an azone first. She did great, then let her handle a minifee with no face up and was older. She asks to hold or touch my new girls which are Lati yellows. I normally hold them now and let her pet their hair or something like that. I try and explain that one day she can have her own if she wants and that she's doing great with being careful.

2. So to all the mommas, papas, older sibblings, and so on, do you let kids play with your dolls? I am just curious because I keep my dolls far away from my nieces hahaha. Kids can be a bit rough sometimes or are at a age where they're just learning to handle things. But, I've seen bjd collectors who are also parents even by their small children bjds. So what about you? How do you deal with your dolls and children. :)

3. I don't have children of my own, but my friend's kids play with my BJD's. Most of my friends bring up their children to be careful with other people's stuff, and I'm not precious about my dolls. I'm more anxious about them playing with my porcelain dolls than my resin ones, to be honest.

One even took one of my resin girls home with her when she was a toddler and I collected the doll back the next time I babysat.

Most of the tiny ones are more interested in my other dolls and bears than BJD's and the older ones are ultra careful because they don't want to damage them.

Teddy

4. My niece, 7, had been around My dolls since she was 4. When she was younger, she was told see could only look at them. As she's gotten older, she's kinda focused on Loki, my CP Shiwoo. Since he's one off the larger dolls I own, I let her hold him sometimes. She adores hugging him. However, I have let her know there are pretty severe consequences if she damages him. She's been very good so I'm actually thinking about buying her one of her own when she turns ten.

5. nope nope nope. had a heart attack when the three year old asked if she could "Have" Lucy. I plan on getting her some of her own dolls, like plastic ones from the store, sometime in the near future especially since she really seems to love my collection of monster high girlies, I would feel a lot more comfortable getting her her own as they're not very pricey and she seems to like their unique faces and skin tones over the generic barbies she got as a gift.

6. I don't have any kids, but if I did, I certainly wouldn't let them play with my dolls. I would, however, get them some ABS dolls to start off with if they wanted to get into the hobby to help introduce them. And again, it all depends on the age of the child and their maturity level.

7. I don't have kids, but I have two cousins that are 7 and 10. They know my dolls since I've had them and they are really interested in them. I know they are careful, and I let them touch some of them, move them around carefully. What they can do with the doll depends on the doll actually. I don't let them handle my SD dolls because they're heavy and don't pose too well, but they can pose and touch the other dolls (specially my MSD girl which poses like a dream and very easily) as long as they're gentle, don't touch the face and do it only if I'm here. And I let them do pretty much everything they want with my ABS Hujoos, under the same conditions than the resin BJDs.
      I understand that kids could get drawn to the dolls, and I think, if they are careful enough, you can let them touch. You just have to set rules and explain that the dolls are fragile, which ones are the most fragiles and which ones they can't handle. As for playing with the dolls as a child would play with a Monster High, that's a no. BJDs are not made for that.

8. I don't have a child, but I have a brother..he's 11 years younger than me. Well...sometimes i find wigs missing...eyes missing...It's annoying.

9. I know I don't want kids, but If I did or the children in question were cousins or something, I wouldn't. Especially a young child. Slight chance I'd let an older one who I knew was responsible, but even then, I'd be watching their every move XD I get anxious easily.

10. No way in hell HAHAHAHA.
      Maybe if he or she turns 15? anything younger than that. NO!

11. With supervision and smaller dolls, yes. With the bigger ones? No. I work with children and I know that not only can they hurt themselves (and the doll), but they don't always understand how to take care of things unless they've been worked with, a lot. I don't even trust my friend's teenager to hold my dolls without supervision (as they can be very heavy).

12. My daughter is nine and yes I do trust her with my dolls. I have shown her how to handle them so she knows what to do and not to do and I'm always there with her. This works just fine as she is very careful, but I suppose it depends on the child in question. I wouldn't just lend them out to any kid that came to visit.

13. The extent of my son's interest in my dolls is laughing at them when their clothes, wigs, or heads come off, so I really don't think he'll ever want to play with them, but I'd trust him if he did. He's a gentle, conscientious 10-year-old, and he knows how much they mean to me. I could trust him to be careful.

14. I don't have kids and am not in general very fond of having them around my things, so I highly doubt I'd let my own hypothetical children around my dolls. I always imagined if I had children I'd devote a room of my house to my collectibles and then invest in a sturdy lock.

Plus, even if I trusted a small child to hold my dolls carefully, accidents happen, and I'd really rather they not happen at the expensive of something I've invested a lot of time or money in.

15. I've had BJD's since before I had kids, and downsized my collection to just one (Volks SD13 F01) after my firstborn. I'm now slowly getting back to the hobby, and have a new doll on the way. My now 8-year-old daughter has always been fascinated by my doll and is an extremely careful and reliable girl, so I've recently let her handle the doll by herself under my watchful eye. She says she's saving her own money to buy a BJD, even though I've said it's going to be at least another 4-5 years, even longer, before she gets a (small) one.

I would love to hear if/how you've included your kids in the hobby, or have you perhaps grown up surrounded by BJD's yourself?

My daughter doing a photoshoot today
      [​IMG]

16. I didn't grow up with bjds but my mom and aunts all love dolls so so I grew up with dolls from all different countries that's probably why I love bjds so much
      I don't have any kids of my own but I do plan on at least buying some for them if I ever do have kids maybe something on the cheap side. I would love for them to be part of the Bjd world
      I think it's great that you let your daughter get involved.Hehe maybe you can surprise her and gift her own Bjd for her birthday or Christmas or something

17. I didn't grow up with bjds either, but my mom did make porcelaine dolls (casting, painting, sewing clothes +++) so dolls in general were definitely part of my childhood. I now have a nine year old daughter and she loves my bjds. She is very careful, so I let her handle them, and I gifted her a pukifee for her birthday. I think that doll must be one of the most beloved pukifees out there, and I also believe my daughter is proud to be trusted to take care of something of such high quality. It's nice to be able to share the hobby with her, even though she is young, and I hope bjds will be something we have in common for a long time.

18. I totally love the idea of my future kids to be surrounded by beautiful things, art and music when they grow up. I'd want to enable them to be creative and free. So having dolls around, dioramas, fabric and all the pretty things is definitely something my kids (if I were to have any) would grow up with.
      @Maria Super cool to see that your daughter is already engaging in the BJD hobby like a pro :thumbup

19. I do not have any kids myself, but I have a young niece that is just getting into playing with dolls. I let her play with my Hujoos since they are not resin. Perhaps in a few years when she is more gentle with things.

20. I've only been in the hobby for a short time, and while I don't have children, I have my nephew who is over at least every other weekend and in the summer lives with me every other week. At first I hid my doll and wouldn't have her out at all. He's five going on six and while he treats his toys well, I don't trust him near my doll. However, one week I forgot to put my doll away and he ended up seeing her. He asked me questions and when I explained about her he seemed to understand this is a thing he does not touch. Since that day I haven't put her away and he for the most part acts like she doesn't exist. (I watch him around her carefully though, but he leaves her shelf alone.)

I have tried to include him in my playtime with my doll though. Like this outfit, that he chose each part for her to wear. IJTET822 : Photo