1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Would you let your kids play with your dolls?

Oct 25, 2010

1. if i had kids as much as it may pain them i would never let them touch my dolls. Even if they were the most well behaved children and were kind and careful to their toys children are still children and accidents happen. I just wouldn't take any chances with something so precious to me. Even if my kids were older, say in their teens, i wouldn't let them play with them or touch them. I just imagine that there's no way my dolls would ever be as important to them as they are to me and they might not understand just how careful they'd have to be. I think the only exception would be is if my kids were into BJDs as well and they were old enough to have their own. If they got one for themselves and took good care of it then i'd be fine to let them touch mine. They'd understand the importance then.

2. I don't think I would let a child play with my BJD once I get it. I have a five year old nephew who is just too rough with toys. And BJD's are not cheap toys, people pay sometimes up to $1000 for these guys. They're just worth too much to leave in the hands of a child. Now once they were more around the age of ten or so, they could be supervised, but I still wouldn't trust them with a bjd until the kid was around 14.

3. I have many children of different ages. I can say that it depends on the child. All children are different. Some can play with my dolls. Some may move Never operate them.

But for the most part, the dolls in their boxes and children do not take them out themselves. I'd love to be there if the children will borrow them.

4. I don't have kids {wait after 5 or 8 years or more XP} but I do have younger cousins who are more or less 10 years younger than I am. {Their age x 2 or 3= my age... My gosh! I've gotten old w/o knowing! @.@} I let them "play" w/ Mii-tan as long as I am around to keep watch. When I do have children of my own, I would do the same. :3

5. I'm probably going to terrify you all here with what I'm about to say- Or label myself as some sort of "bad dolly owner" :sweat

When I'm with my friends and family with small and young children they get to play. I've even taken them camping with me!

My girls have been carted around a field in the rain and mud by little girls I have only met twice before.
      My boys have been left on the floor for God knows how long because they've gotten bored and wandered off.
      My wigs get gummed on and petted and ripped off heads and flung across rooms, my shoes get eaten whole (Actually, that was my 17 y/o bff. I got it back before anything happened XD)

They get told that they are expensive, and they break very easily, and if they do anything that I've told them not too (Put them in your mouth, touch the face or eyes, put them in the river or near the fire) they will not be allowed to play with them again.
      And, oddly enough, it works.

I love my dolls. They are the most expensive things I own. But, in the end, they are just dolls. I bought them to play with, not to pose and look at and smile when I see them.

While I treat my dolls like the lumps of plastic they are, I would never do that to someone else's. I am the most careful gentle person with someone else's doll because I know not everyone is as carefree as I am.
      My friends will see me carry their doll back to them like the holy grail, but drag my boy back by the foot.

Back to the topic at hand:

I currently have no kids of my own.
      When I do? Those kids will be allowed to play with my dolls. From the moment they are able to hold stuff.
      Yup, that's right. Baby drool, spit, sick and grubby little hands all over my $500 doll.

How terrible of me. :lol:

6. Aaaabsolutely not. BJDs are completely different from toys for children. Yes, they are still toys, but they're more like porcelain dolls where it's just too easy for them to break. If when I have kids they want one, they can save up and break their own. Selfish or not, mine are mine.

7. For me, this depends on the child's maturity. My son is eleven, and is well-behaved and respectful of others' belongings. So I let him handle my doll-- although he usually does not want to. He is well aware of how much they cost, and treats my dolls as respectfully as he does my laptop computer, electronic equipment, etc.

Now if he were six or seven, it would be a different story. He had a different understanding of money then, and he thought a lot less about consequences (i.e, "If I swing this doll around, it may break.") But that's developmentally appropriate for a six year old.

It's all about maturity and responsibility, IMO. I can think of some adults that I'd never let touch my dolls. But they are also the type I'd never lend a book to, let borrow my car, etc. Not if I wanted either back in one piece.

8. no way. my neice is 7, and very well-behaved and respectful, but still. xq i'm over-protective about things like them.

9. My daughter absolutely loves my doll, and is surprisingly amused by my floating head. The head she hasn't touched yet, but she loves interacting with the doll. She'll sit by me while I'm sewing and want me to play with the doll so she can have a conversation. When I'm unable to split my attention well enough, she'll carry on both sides. It's pretty cute, actually. She knows that Ivy is Mommy's special doll, and she can only handle her as I say. I let her carry her a couple of times, a few feet and safely wrapped in her blanket, and she was thrilled. Anything more will have to wait for her to mature a bit more; she's only five. A well-behaved five, but still. I'm planning to get her a plastic jointed doll for Christmas, so she can have a similar doll of her own that won't cost much to replace if she does break it.

10. I don't have children, however I use to work with them. I worked with children ages 3 months, to 4 years old. Typically speaking, I wouldn't hand a kid an expensive doll if they would be just as satisfied playing with a Barbie doll. Depending on the child though, some of them could be trusted to hold and "play" with one under adult supervision. I wouldn't suggest handing a child a doll worth anywhere between $200-$2,000 though.

11. My daughter is almost a yr old, and not likely that I'd let her handle my dolls.
      When she's old enough to appreciate a fine doll she can have it, if she wants.
      ^_~
      Or I'd get her a doll of her own, one of the less expensive one if she's under 13. XD
      I think at about 6yrs old, if she's looking too interested in my dolls I'd get her a BJD of her own.

As for any kids handling my dolls, that be a never. XD
      My daughter would at least learn that this doll is very special/delicate to me and if she were to handle it she'd learn to be careful.

12. Get her one, or an inexpensive BJD, trust me she will be thrilled. Then you can play dolls together.

13. I had a some what simmaler topic to this a while ago. I ask if whether or not doll owners would leave there children their dolls when they die... a lot of people said that they would leave it to their children a lot of people said they wanted to be buried with them... and a lot of people said sure ill give them to my kids but they better have there own as well.

Knowing me, I will not let my kids play with my dolls because... their my dolls!! Hahahah!! By the time I have kids ( which probably wont be till like 10 years from now ) they will be too little to play with them. What I mean by that is that i am afraid that they could break something off or crack a head, and knowing me my kids will probably receive my clutsiness... when they are older and if they have a interest in them... then i would make them earn their own dolls to be quite frank, but if they would want to borrow my dolls in any of their photostories or photoshoots... then sure thats fine as long as they o k it by me first. But unless they ask permission and until there older, nope.

14. Never. @@

Maybe if the child respected dolls/was also interested, I would let them handle one of my more sturdy/less expensive dolls. And then I might even bye the child their own.
      But likely I wouldn't let my kids play with my dolls. My younger brothers destroy everything they touch so.... dollies = no no.

15. I don't have children, I do however work in a nursery and tbh if it came down to it, It would be a no, Maybe with my own children it would be different, But at a nursery no, I would be to afraid of lilium getting damaged, as there really fragile and all it takes is for them to drop her, for a little damage to take place @@.

16. Well, my answer to this question changes depending on which of my dolls we are talking about. My biggest and most expensive doll, (who was at the time I bought him a limited edition doll,) would I let my 9 year old play with him? The answer is a firm and straight forward no way! She's not allowed to play with or hold my 60cm boy either, because he's very special to me and technically a custom order.

She IS however, occasionally allowed to hold my MSD boy. She ADORES Aeirion and asks to hold him everytime I do. It's cute. She will be fully allowed to play with my soon to be incoming off topic dolls and when they arrive, two out of the three of my tinies. One of them will technically be hers, so she's fully allowed to touch, play with and hold that doll. However, I will be there to supervise.

My 9 year old neice and 6 year old nephew however are NOT allowed to touch my dolls full stop. I realise that sounds very mean of me or something, but they haven't learnt to respect things that aren't theirs in the way that my daughter has. They trash their house every day and their parents let them get away with it. I can't and won't allow children who do the things they do at home and at other's houses to touch something so expensive and precious to me. My daughter knows how much these dolls cost me and is very respectful of that fact even if she does desire to hold my biggest boy alot because she thinks he's cool. lol She loves to play dolls and is absolutely fascinated by them, I trust her but still, only with supervision.

So yeah, basically in general, kids touching my dolls? No. My daughter touching my dolls? It depends on the doll and my daughters mood at the time. If she's in a bad mood or being stroppy then it's a definite no. XD And whenever we happen to have a second child, that child if it wishes to touch my dolls will have to wait until he or she is older and careful enough like my 9 year old currently is. *nods*

17. I don't have any kids of my own, but I did have an interesting experience at a convention in November. A few other members of our local meet-up group and I were holding a BJD panel, showing off our dolls and giving just a crash course in explaining them, where to buy, etc. It was a pretty packed room, and right in the front was a girl, she couldn't have been older then 8, who had her eyes just glued to Vii(my little yo girl) the entire time.

When our presentation was over and people were coming up to get a better look at the dolls, ask us questions and whatnot, she came right up to me and asked if she could hold Vii. I thought about it for a moment, picked up Vii and held her out, and that little girl carefully held her, hugged her lightly and then set her back down on the table. I kind of expected that she may take Vii and bolt, but she didn't. I later spoke with her older sister, who admitted that her little sister has been wanting a BJD for the last few years, and had apparently decided from the presentation that she'd prefer to get a Yo-SD than an MSD.

Part of me really hopes that she does get one someday, because she was really very gentle with Vii. It really depends on the child, as to whether or not I'd let them hold my dolls. Probably not my MSDs, but my Yo's tend to be just as adorable and not as likely to be dropped.

18. The 5 year old daughter of a friend (a doll collector as well) wanted to comb my doll's hair (a limited edition!). Since she 's familiar with handling expensive toys and is a very gentle easy girl anyway, I allowed her to. She was really careful but accidentally made a little scratch on the face with the comb.
      So what I mean; Even those very careful responsible children can make mistakes.

And of course adults can make mistakes as well, but they can also take the (financial) responsibility. When I play with my dolls, I know that I risk damaging them, but I bought them with my own money and I also know that I can afford to get them repaired or replaced. So I think that you can allow children to touch your dolls if you don't mind that the consequences will be all yours when something does go wrong.
      But personally I don't want any children near my dolls anymore.

19. Um, if I had kids, this would be a difficult thing. It depends on many factors. The childs age, the fragility of the doll, and the expense of the doll play big roles. If the kid is 5 or less then never. Dont want the kid eating parts. Om nom nom? I don't think so. It the kid is a little older, then maybe a less fragile doll like a vinyl doll. I would never let a kid play with a resin BJD. EVER. Unless its a teenager...then maybe. Anywho, thats my opinion.

20. now when you say kids I think of the ones I babysit and those for whom I'm their teacher. See the answer is yes and no, some of my kids I trust others I wouldnt near a pillow, actually last year for Hana day I took my doll Hoshi in her kimono to the school and the kids loved her well I placed her on the self while they had lessons and if they where good they could ask to have a lesson on her. *rolls eyes* well one of the little girls asked if she could have a lesson on Hoshi and I when to get her and she was gone! I was shocked and worried and looked for her, I then asked the kids if anyone had taken her they all deniened it well i then looked in cubbies where they keep their work and low and behold there was Hoshi tucked in one of the little boy's cubbies fortunatly no glitter or anythign stuck on her she was right as rain. To be honest I wasnt surprised that this one boy took her it wasnt the first time he took stuff of mine, he also took a picture of me when I was in china. But when I took Hoshi to the two little girls I babysit for they where thrilled to see her but the mom kinda shreaked when she acidently took hoshi's wig off hahah.