1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Would you let your kids play with your dolls?

Oct 25, 2010

1. My teenaged sons are forbidden to touch my dolls--they always just want to make them do silly poses. I have an obitsu and another plastic bjd that the girls are allowed to play with. The girls are 6 and 8, and not very careful with "toys."

2. I don't have any kids and not planning any, but in situation with kids + BJD's its a simple no. I could let them look and even touch them when I can watch what's happening all the time if the kids are big and smart enough, but BJD's aren't toys.

3. Toddler ages or until 6 years old, no way. At any age where their first instinct is to "stick this in my mouth", I would not let them play with resin dolls or my custom ponies.

I consider 7 to be the "age of reason", then they could play with mommy's expensive dolls. Or we might do something together with the hobby like learning/teaching how to sew or design or photography.

4. I think BJDs are more of a collector`s item and not really a toy...They aren`t usually made to withstand the wear and tear children can inflict on unfortunate objects...That being said, some children understand the value of special things so I guess it depends on the child.

5. Well, given that I myself don't have any kids I'm going to pit this more like "Would you ever let your siblings play with your dolls?" because I live at home still with my 6 year old sister and 9 year old brother.

In a word: No.

Lol. My brother might be able to handle one a bit, see how nifty the posing is and whatnot, but I'd feel uncomfortable letting him actually true and well play with it because he has a fondness for taking things apart and rebuilding them. My sister? Absolutely friggin' not. I love her to death, but the child can break anything new she gets within five minutes flat, as evinced by the slinky sitting in front of me that I've spent half an hour untangling already.

I think it takes a certain level of understanding that when you break something, you don't just automatically get a new one before I'd let kids play with something like a BJD.

6. If I have kids, I will let him see and touch my dolls but not play with it ~ :sweat

7. I probably wouldn't, but then again, I probably wouldn't have kids. I've never been the maternal, child-lovin' type. Most kids strike me as too loud and too sticky, and have since I was very young.

Buuut...

[​IMG]

My baby cousin did pose for a couple great photos. He was fascinated by the dolls my sister and I brought with us one our last couple visits. Of course, when we went back at Christmas, he was moving around, and I had to be more vigilant when he made a grab for one of my KDF's feet.

I guess if he grows up to be a thoughtful, careful child with very clean hands, when he's older I'd let him hold/pose/change the wig on a doll, with supervision, but 'play with' sounds a little more rambunctious/unstructured than I'm comfortable with. Though provided any children who come into my life are of the clean&quiet variety, Vince and I are always down for a cup of imaginary tea...

=^__^=
      Anneko

8. Anneko: Wow what a realy cute picture :-D Just to sweet hehe ;-)

I have told my sisters kids, that they can play with my dolls, becorse I know they will take care of them ;-)
      And they realy love them hehehe ;-) Sascha is 10 years old and Sofie are 5 years old :-)
      I will take some pictures next time I see them :-D

9. well it really does depend on the kids...i mean...i myself have collected china and bisque antique dolls from being 5 years old and i never broke anything...but as for the rest of my family...i am VERY wary ...my mum convinced me to get out a few of my dolls when she, my sisters and nieces visited over christmas...my 6 year old niece was way too interested luckily she didnt figure out they could stand or there would've been an accident ...and i really want happy at the way she just dropped one of my girls face down on the floor then accidentally kicked her :/ if it happens again im hanging onto my dolls and just letting them look!

10. I've let my baby cousin near my dolls since he was 2 and now two years later he doesn't feel the need to come up and ask to see them. I feel like letting him come up close and touch (while supervising of course ;) ) has almost got rid of that mad curiosity kids seem to have about things they aren't allowed to touch. He used to give my Ariel kisses and call her his girlfriend! :) Fortunately he wasn't interested in the puki much so I didn't have to worry about the tiny parts. He's was only really interested in Angeline. :D

When I have kids I don't think I'll have much issue letting them near my dolls.

11. I have to revise my opinion about my 5.5 year old daughter. Somehow she seems to understand that my doll is somewhat special and not just like any of her toys. She now asks whether she may touch him. I was very astonished.

Of course this does not mean that she is allowed to play with the BJD when I am not around. Until now, this "agreement" is working.

12. Interesting topic...I definitely think there is a difference between letting a child own their own BJD and the issue of how they might treat mine. I have a 3 year old daughter and am already thinking about how we'll handle this, because if she sees my doll (which I don't own yet!) she'll want to play with her. We had a huge tantrum last year at Christmas when I wouldn't let touch the Christmas fairy doll. I don't particularly want to have to hide my doll all the time, though. I am a great believer that it's important to teach children to respect other people's property and that grown-ups might have needs too (in terms of owning and enjoying playthings) , some of which may be similar to their own.

I remember vividly as a child desperately wanting to play with my grandmother's antique china doll (which had been hers as a girl) , and only being able to do so under strict supervision. The doll was promised to me when I got older- and when I was about 12, I would have been over the moon to own her. But she never gave her to me, which is maybe one reason I want a doll of my own. In hindsight I can now totally understand why my grandmother would want to keep her own doll.

13. my daughter has her own dolls and we will play together. If I was allowed to post the photos of her dolls haveing tea with mine I would I might be able too.. I need to re read the rules.

She also owns her own BJD that she lost interest in as they are too fragile, and her wig keeps coming off and she doesn't like the clothes for her (very few as she is a Bobobie March and so small)

My nephew (my cousin really but he is the same age as my own daughter) he loves my dolls more so when they are nakid or in pieces. He thinks it is cool the pieces the can be put into.

My honourary niece is about 5 years old, and she too is allowed to play with the bobobie march and finds it to be the same, dull as there is no other clothes, the hair keeps coming off ect... So she gave up trying to touch aunty Phy's dolls. So it all worked out.

As for other kids. I have brought my Cuprit, and Adrian (my abio angel) to my daughters school they used them as models for there own art classes, and the kinder kids though it was cool to have a doll with that many moveing parts. So yes as long as I am there others get to play, we go through the whole do not touch the face routine.

14. I will let my cousins play it if they want, but not when I'm not around. I will never let other children play with my dolls. Seriously, I don't want other peoples except my family to touch my dolls. Not like I'm selfish, but I'm not trust them.

15. I would never let children play with my dolls until they were at LEAST 12 years old. And even then only under supervision. Heck, I wouldn't even let my friends/family mess with my dolls unless I was watching them.

16. It really depends on the child. If they are polite and quiet - I would let them hold the doll, try to pose it a bit, perhaps do some standing / sitting etc. I actually did that some years ago. The doll was returned safe and sound, with everybody happy.
      But I would never even show the dolls to my aunt's son - he's the spoiled type, never knows when a "no" really means "NO" >_<

17. Even though I don't want kids, nope. All it takes is one accident and my doll is ruined. Combine that with my lack of patience for children and it's really not a good idea for me the two. xD

Even if they were my own kids, I still wouldn't allow it. They're too expensive and I don't want drool all over my dolls.

18. Once my daughter gets to the 'right' age then I would allow her to play with one of my smaller dolls. To be honest i think it depends on the childs mindset, if their brash and dont understand that the dolls arent necasserily toys then i would wait until their older, but if they know that the dolls are delicate and know not to be rough with them then I let them play, supervised though lol

19. Never!
      My daughters are 3 and 6 and have their own dolls to play with.
      They know that mom's dolls are a no-no, but if they ask and I'm with them, they can hold them for a couple of seconds and they are very happy to do it, and they do it with outmost care and even give them a kiss on the cheek, how cute!

I've explained to them that they are fragile as they are made of another material as their own ones, that they are "adult's dolls", etc, and my daughters got the message right and respect it.

I have a lot of joy playing with them and I want to share it with my daughters, too. But as I said to them, they're mine and they have to ask. And this will be so only for my kids, others will see them in a distance, no way of touching them (I don't want to have a heart attack)

20. With supervision, yes. But I have a kid who has been pretty good around breakables all her life, and I just had the one, so that would have made it easy. Plus the dolls are pretty sturdy. Now she is basically an adult, and she can come play with them whenever she wants. (I also let her wear my jewelry and clothes, so maybe it's just me...I figure it's just stuff and I don't mind sharing.) And she always asks and is good about returning anything borrowed, or asking if she can keep it.