1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Would you let your kids play with your dolls?

Oct 25, 2010

1. My daughter is 10 years old and very gentle so, yes, I'd probably let her handle my doll Wren...when I get her. But only with supervision, just in case. Hee hee ;)

2. well I dont have children but I'm always really good with kids and I tend to attract them, weather I mean to or not. Its gotten to the point my family is pushing me to be an elementary school teacher.
      I also work in a big sister little sister mentoring program
      I baby sit as well
      and one of the girls I consider to be a very good friend is a 10 year old girl I lived with while I was in Greece for a month or two
      so I have a fair amount of experience with kids

the short and simple answer of this is a yes.
      though my own experience as a kid would make me say no.

You see as a kid I didnt take good care of a lot of the things I owned, but I always took fantastic care of other kids toys ect.
      And I distinctly remember that my mother had a collection of old tin wind up toys. And ever since I could remember it was always the "You are to never ever EVER touch these"
      so of course, I wanted nothing more than to touch them.
      and at the fine age of 8 I snuck into her room while she was at work and daddy was asleep on the couch, took the key to her toy cabnet and ran upstairs with it to open it up.
      I remember pulling a chair up to it and pulling out the slab, and one by one taking out the toys.
      I was in love with it. I didnt usually play with them that much, I could never figure out which key went to which key, instead I would hold them in my hand and think they were so pretty.
      And then one day my mother caught me doing this as shed come home early, she pulled me away from the desk and yelled at me for touching them.
      After that I never got to touch them again. I can see why she was mad I had been told not to touch them, but in the end they didnt break because I was so fascinated with them. But kids handle fascination differently, others would be like me and others I'm sure would have over wound them and broken a few.

but really one of the best things to do is curb the "forbidden" let them see the dolls, if they get a bit bigger hold the doll while your there, interact with the doll. I dont think they would play with the doll in the sense that they would romp around with it, but hopefully after exposure theyd treat them in a way like I treated my doll, hold her in my arms some time and interact with her.

and then yes of course it does depend on the kid. I would never let some the kids I work with play with my girl, mostly because they dont yet understand the difference between pretty doll, and pretty and expensive doll

but I have let one child handle her, she was careful polite and it was rather cute. She saw me holding her gently when I was moving my girl out of the way, and asked if she could look at her so I stopped and kneeled down a bit so that she could see her, a wary hand stroked my doll's hair and I asked if she wanted to hold her. So I let her hold my girl, she held her for a second, hugged her and gave her back to me and said she liked her a lot. Now I feel fine bringing Windlea over when I babysit her, or letting her out when the girl comes over here.

3. I think, regardless of the BJDs, there are some ages where it's even dangerous for the children to play with such things, but ultimately, I wouldn't let any kid to "play" with my dolls. For odd as it seems I think there is a very special value into earning something, like my mother used to say "if you want it, save for it", my things are MY things and others people's things are their things and we are all happy...sure I wold consent them and help them to buy their own dolls and let them play as they like once they have THEIR dolls, but my dolls are mine and mine alone to enjoy, at least in my opinion.

4. My son has no interest in my dolls. My niece (now 2) on the other hand... when she's around I have to put my computer chair on the other side of the house or she climbs my desk and tries to get to them. At least she doesn't visit often... Extremely off limits to her.

5. My niece plays with my doll, but she knows not to be mean to it cuz its aunties!!

6. With supervision, yes. They'll be off limits when I'm not around. However, my girlfriend and I are planning on getting our children dolls if they have an interest in them. I wouldn't mind starting my son or daughter out with a Bobobie or a Resinsoul doll. It'll be something we can all do together and they'll learn about being careful and the value of object. It would be their own doll- in their room, their's to customize and paint and dress.

7. Generally.... No. They're too expensive to leave in the hands of someone who doesn't understand that value. Also, because I'm very jealous of them.

This reminds me of a passerby who saw a doll at a meet and said "My granddaughter would LOOOVE one of these", and I thought to myself "no, lady, if you bought one you'd keep it to yourself"

8. I have already allowed children to play with my dolls. As many others have stated, it is best to supervise them while they play with them, and that's the rule.
      I have a friend who's little boy is adorable and extremely careful even with his own toys. Having seen him play with his own toys and others' toys, when he asked if he could play with my little anthro doll, I let him. He was across the table from me and he was very careful. He also liked the doll quite a lot. He's four.

I have a different friend who has an 8 year old girl who is ga-ga over my dolls. She's very barbie-oriented but when she came over and saw my dolls, she really lit up. Her mother cautioned her, saying, "Those dolls are very special, don't touch them." I know this little girl, though, and once again she's very careful with her toys. So the next time she came over, I carefully selected a few of my dolls and told her that "These dolls like to play with little girls, if they're careful and treat them really well. Can you do that?" She was so thrilled! I put the dolls on the couch with a box of clothes and shoes and let her go to town. She was very careful and loved showing off the different clothing and wig combinations of the dolls.

I also let her play with my (OT) 1/6 size Obitsu and Dollfie. She liked those so much that her mom bought her two of her own for Christmas! We've been playing dolls together ever since!

So I think it depends upon the child in question. I've allowed small children to play with delicate things, but I make a point of showing them that the item is fragile and that it will break if handled roughly. My trust is rarely misplaced.

My own stepkids aren't interested in my dolls. I used to "play barbie" with my girl, but she outgrew dolls and doesn't really want to play anymore. She showed a brief interest in the BJDs when I got into them, but at 13 is "too old for dolls."
      Heh. I was never too old for dolls. I'm 36 now, and I'm still not too old...

I certainly wouldn't give a child unrestricted, unsupervised access to my expensive resin dolls, any more than I would give them access to my antique porcelain figures or my delicate stemmed glassware. But I've let kids drink out of the stemware with supervision. It's much the same thing.

The funny thing about kids is that if you give them opportunities to experience responsibility, they will learn and grow and become more responsible.

9. I have three boys, ages 4, 7 and 9 and they are very hard on their own toys. I have taught them never to touch my dolls without my permission and without me standing next to them. They have learned that those dolls belong to me and they are very repectful of them. I have never had a problem with them. It might be a different story if I had girls thought I would still insist that they were supervised while playing with them.

10. I don't have children yet, but in a few years I guess we'll be planning for some ^^ First buying a house and settling down ^^

But I guess I wouldn't let them play unguarded with my dolls xD My bf has some rather destructive genes and tends not to be careful at all with stuff. Very often when he holds something it tends to fall or break. It's just not safe xD

Though maybe, at a certain age (whey they stopped putting things in their mouths), I guess I would allow them to play with them when I'm near to help. Will all depend on their personalities ;) Or, differently said, whether there's more of me than from my bf inside them ^^ xD

11. My time of child bearing is far in the future, but when interacting with little kids, I would probably warn them of value, let them hold him for a short time period, and ask for him back. I mean, if he accidentally tumbles from a child's arms, accidents happen, and I'm confident he would not break. But if they wanted to "play" with him...no. Unless they were maybe eight or older, but otherwise it would be too risky. I don't want a little boy playing superman with him, or a little girl playing tea party with him. The thought itself of having to wipe sticky tea off my doll is already unbearably irritable.

But only God knows whether or not I will trust my children with him and other dolls in the future. My answer may change, or it may not when I have kids, depending on their personality I guess.

12. If i had children, or younger siblings or anything i would not let them play with them....because im VERY nervous about ANYONE with my dolls heh, much less children. i was offered a room to live in at a friends house, who has a 1 and 2 year old and locks are not allowed on the inside doors by the apartment complex rules, i turned her down BECAUSE i just know the children would get into my stuff....mostly my dolls and other cute collectables. i would ust die if they were destroyed and then there is the issue of "your kids broke my valulables so are you paying to fix them?" id rather not deal with that >_>

13. No way. I have custom dolls some that I have paid $600 for. My kids ruin toys I buy for them daily. Nope, my kids aren't allowed to touch my Blythe or Lati doll collection because they don't take care of their own toys! I would be so distraught if my 2 year old broke my doll to pieces! They can play with their Nintendo DS or Cabbage Patch Dolls all they want ;)

14. If I had kids, I most likely would not let them play with my dolls. Simply because, the majority (if not all of them) are really expensive and difficult to replace if they were to get broken/destroyed/etc.

Maybe when they're 10 or 12.. if they still want to, that is. But of course, teaching them to be GENTLE with the dolls is key.

15. I'm due to have my first child in June. Someone mentioned to me that if the baby is a girl then I would let her play with my dolls...uh, no, soooo not happening. I wouldn't even let her play with my American Girl dolls, which are a more appropriate doll for a child than BJDs, but that's mostly because one of my AGs I have had for 24 years! If I have a girl (or boy!) and they want to play with dolls, then they will have their own to play with and it would not be something as costly as a BJD. My personal dolls will be completely off limits to them.

16. I may have posted here, not sure.....But no, I mean, I trust the a child holding something that expensive would be gentle, but I just would be nervous the entire time. I would be expecting something bad to happen, and if it did, i would be really sad.

17. my son is only one and i let him touch the hair and the cloths but im holding them and i keep them high out of reach when he is done. i think it helps to keep the "i wanna touchy!" to a minimum. lol after about a minute or two hes lost interest. when i got my first bjd i wouldnt let him near her and he seemed to want to get to her even more. so i thought mabey if he got to touch and look he would see its not that fun and makes no noise. now i have no problem with him. he dosent reach for them or anything now. so i think its fine as long as your there and can watch them. :)

18. I think it would really depend on the doll and the kid, and the kid's age. If the child was responsible, understood how expensive the dolls were, and was supervised during play then I wouldn't be opposed. Although, I would only allow that with my dolls that were around 2-3 hundred dollar, not a limited or something that had true holding centimental value.

19. my daughter is 2 and loves "mommys dolls" she knows that she can only "play" with them if i help her and if i am not around they are kept out of her reach to avoid temptation. she likes to sit next to me or on my lap and "play" she hugs them, names their body parts, moves their arms and legs and she knows to pick them up by the torso/neck and not by the arms or legs or face. she tells me by name which one she would like to "play" with.. i would never let her take any of them off to her room alone or anything but i dont have a problem letting her see them in close proximity to me

20. My son is 16 months old and this is exactly the way he was. The more I kept them away, the more he acted like he wanted them. Once I let him see that there was nothing to it, he's not interested in them at all. (Though I still don't keep them where he can get to them.) We've even had several meetups with him around and all of my local girls will tell you that he may come and sit by one, but the most he'll do is touch a hand (Or in Solen's doll's case, kiss his hand! XD) He knows not to touch the face. He's actually really well behaved. So, I really don't mind having my dolls out around him, and I don't even mind him touching them, but as for letting him 'play' with them or be unsupervised with them, no, haha.

I really think it depends on the child / parent and their nature. And I respect anyone who says 'no, absolutely not!' because you just don't know a child unless he or she is your own. :)