1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Would you let your kids play with your dolls?

Oct 25, 2010

1. I don't have children, so I don't believe this applies to me. However if I DID...
      I absolutely would not let them play or touch my dolls without my personal supervision. It's not that I wouldn't trust my own children, it's for the simple reason that accidents happen, and children CAN be a little too rough (especially on their own toys).
      They cannot be replaced as easily as say a BRATZ doll or a G.I JOE, and they're far, far more expensive.

I've never really viewed my BJD's as such though, "Toys". I feel it's more of a collectible item for a more adult audience, like expensive antiques or vintage train sets. It's almost irreplaceable!

2. Right now, I would not let my daughter play with my dolls because I am more concerned for her welfare. She's 4.5 months old and I don't think sucking on resin or getting resin dust on her hands is a great idea.

However when she is older if she is interested in my dolls I would let her "play" with them when I was present. While I was not always gentle with my toys, after a Barbie mishap at 3. (where I learned Barbie hair does not grow back and Barbie got a new more punk-do) I was relatively careful with my toys. I still have many of them and quite a few are in very reasonable shape considering how old they now are. I also use to play with porcelain angel statuettes when I was 7-8 which were much more breakable than a BJD and they rarely had accidents. If my daughter becomes interested in dolls, I would willing to get her her own BJD.

Though veering OT there was just an article in the NYTimes about parents letting their toddlers use/play with their iPads. Those are just as breakable as a BJD and start at $500 so they're a similar price point. I think it is just a matter of teaching kids to be gentle and careful.

3. Personally, it depends on their personality :) I'm 17, and when family friends come round, I hide them all! However, the youngest kid that has seen my dolls was 2 and he adored them! He stroked my MSD's hair SO gently and he smiled at it like it was a kitten, it was adorable :)

I find the older kids are more destructive. My four neighbours (all under 13) grabbed them, shook them, wigs, eyes, head caps fell crashing to the floor. Shoes went flying, even a head popped off, I was MORTIFIED. I learned my lesson though - so I think it really depends on the individual :D

If I have kids, I wouldn't buy them a BJD until they are at least 13, who knows!
      ~Sarah V

4. I've let my daughter, now 5 play with my dolls since I got my first a year ago. She's actually a bit scared to play with MSD sizes other than to hold gently, or have a tea party where I sit them in a chair and she'll move their hands to have the eat and drink. She was terrified to touching my SD before I sold him, he was simply far to large for her to want to play with.

And now she has her own RS tiny, whom she adores and carries around in it's lil carry case and love to clean with the Magic eraser as often as she's allowed. And now we sit together and play tea parties with my two and her tiny, and do photoshoots together where she gets to pose and take pictures of our dollies as well.

Of course, this is under the knowledge that if any of the dollies come to harm, she will lose hers and never be able to touch them again.. so sometimes she even scolds me for being to rough with the lil resin dears.

5. My niece is 9 years old, she likes to write stories about my dolls, mostly thrillers O_o (my dolls are peaceful creatures). She doesn't like to play with them, coz they are heavy for her, she only likes my little soom tiny Ai. I allow her to play with it, she plays carefully.

6. I don't have any kids, but I do have a three-year-old brother. Judging by his personality, I would say no. He is quite the little ruffian with his hockey and throwing things when he gets upset. He's a sweet kid but doesn't know his own strength. So for now, he can just stick to playing with my pillows. :sweat

7. I'd have to wait and see how rambunctious any spawn of mine would be. My bet is that they'd be heathens. =.=; I was, myself, after all.
      If I'm lucky and get gentle kids from some magical recessive genes from either my or whatever husband I have (which honestly seems like I'll be having this guy. My boyfriend and I've been talking about getting married since January. I keep saying "TOO YOUNG. D: " and he's always been as hyperactive as me, at least since I met him and from what his mom tells me. x3 ) So any kid that would come to us would be EVIL.
      I know that I myself ripped off many a Barbie head and had a habit of chewing on their shoes (No idea why..) so the thought of a re-me playing with a BJD is terrifying. As a kid I HATED dolls. I was smart enough to play with them for appearances, to make the family think I was a girly-girl and stuff, but I wasn't. When it was me and my brother, we'd play chess and checkers, or wrestle, which I always won despite being two years younger.~ (You gotta kick the throat!)
      So on so forth.
      I was a beast and expect my child to be similar. She may be just like me and end up liking dolls as an eighteen year old. 8D

8. Considering how small the pieces (like PukiPuki hands) can be and how much money the dolls cost, I think I'd probably keep my dolls away children. I don't think I'd want to spend the night in the ER while they try to extract a Puki foot from my child's nostril! lol!!!

9. Yes, but there are some conditions. I would let my child play with my BJDs, if:
      1) it would only play with the BJDs supervised as long as it is under the age of 7-8 years (I wouldn't want pukipuki parts in any nostrils either, just like regardingbecca)
      2) the doll in question was not a LE (so that it would be possible to buy a similar one, or at least parts like hands etc., if something is broken)
      3) the child loved dolls, and would not try to destroy them as "play" (and since it would be my child, I think it would learn from me and play with them rather gently),
      4) the child would really want to play with them, and not just say so to be cool.
      But seriously, if all of the above was the case... I think I would buy my child a doll of its own for birthday or Christmas. This way, my child could play with its own doll anyway rather than with mine ;)

10. I don't have kids, so I can't really tell... right now I love my BJD boys like my own kids ._. But probably I wouldn't.

11. I do have a daughter of eleven. She has her own BJD. She knows the value. But I do not think I would not let her play with it as if it is a barbie. She wouldn't do this because she paid for it herself, she understands it. But not one of her girlfriends may tough it. So I would not let children play with them..!

12. My daughter wouldn't even consider playing with my dolls, she's 15 now and very weird about boys, and all my dolls are boys. Then again, she never was a doll girl, only stuffed animals. I wouldn't even bother purchasing doll for her.

My son, 12, helps me with some of the stringing on the dolls. We call it "frankensteining". Having that extra pair of hands that are strong, along with someone who follows verbal directions well, is wonderful. If he decided he wanted to have an less expensive BJD for modding, I'd go along with it.

My niece, 7, I would not trust with one of my dolls at all. Not because she is mean to her own dolls, but because if it doesn't belong to her she thinks no one should have it, so she destroys things. I don't give her anything like dolls anymore because of her "sharing" problems. She gets clothes.

My nephews, 2 and 1, are too young to have dolls that have things they could swallow in them (like puki eyes, and hands) so they aren't even in the equation yet.

13. i would be dead scared until they grew up of letting them handle BJD's just as much as i wouldnt let them near my porcelain and china dolls. these are expensive (and some antique) so i wouldnt let them near them till they grew up and were able to handle them OK. but even my sister (who is a mature 10 year old) is not allowed near them. but i would allow them to have their own dolls (i had many many barbies, and a few china ones as i grew older) until they could handle them OK. theres a fine line between when to let them handle them and it depends on the child, and how destructive they are ¬.¬ but yes i wont be letting children near my little ones any time soon.

14. If my kids are anything like my cousins than no no no. One of my little cousins could care less about her dolsl. She draws all over their faces and leave them on the floor where people step on them. My other cousin takes her dolls everywhere and has gotten all sort of nastiness on them.

15. My twin sisters in law just turned 12. I often let them play with the dolls and they are naturally very careful with them, sometimes so careful that they ask me for help with shoes and things because they are afraid of breaking them. I don't feel the need to hover over them anymore (I did for awhile until they were used to them) and they love to come over and have little fashion photo shoots with them. It's cute. When I have kids of my own, I'll be able to judge their maturity and decide whether or not they can take care of them, and if they can I'll be fine with them playing with them.

16. I let my daughter play with mine, but only because she lets me play with hers ;) There is absolutely no way I would have let her play with my dolls when she was a toddler since I don't think a really small kid should have to shoulder the responsibility of taking care of something so expensive that you'll freak if they make a mistake.

Abbey has grown up to be very careful with her things and has never broken her toys so I felt comfortable with her getting Halo when she was 8. That being said, Halo is a nice, sturdy second-hand 2006 Luts Kid who didn't wear $80 outfits or come with an immaculate faceup.

Good thing, too, because we've kissed off most of the blush she has left on her cheeks!

17. Ah in all honesty, I wouldn't let my kids play with my dolls > < Well, I'm not a parent yet but if I did, I wouldn't > <
      Maybe when they got older and have more of a gentle touch, I would let them hold them, not handle them. Then if they liked them, maybe I would when they were even older ^ ^
      But still, no xD as far as I know, kids have rather grubby hands or at least can do ;A; I don't want my resin kids getting dirty >A<

18. Absolutely not. It is not a toy for me, it is expansive and I think of it as of sort of object d'art. I have 2 nephews, so when they come to my house, I told them that it is not a toys, it is a sort of statuettes.:)

19. My son is 13 months old, and I wouldn't let him even touch my dolls.

That said, he's completely entranced by them. XD He loves to stare at them, and he's very good at reaching out to touch, then stopping to look and see if I'm okay with it. When I tell him that we don't touch the dollies, he pulls his hands back to his lap and just continues to stare.

When he's two or three, I might get him a Liv doll or something similar, since they can be posed like ABJDs but are far more kid-friendly. I don't want to stifle the idea that my baby boy might want to play with dolls; I just want to prevent him from damaging the more expensive ones.

As he grows older, we'll see if he's even still interested in them, and go from there.

20. I think I will see first what kind of character the kid have. Some kids are careful, other kids not. So it is just to see how they are. My younger stepsister loves to play with Sibble. She is 13 but I hate it when she is touching Sibble. She thinks they are barbies. She knows it is not, but she treads them as barbies. She isn't careful with them. And if I say she have to she does not listen.