1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Would you purchase a handicapped doll?

Oct 24, 2011

1. I don't know if I'd buy a doll that had a physical handicap or was remarkably abnormal, mostly because I don't have any characters that it would aply to. I have wondered if there was a place to buy limb caps, so if, say, my doll's leg broke and I thought it played well into the storyline, I could put an amputee styled cap on the end so with wasn't just open with a hook slipped over the edge to hold the stringing.

2. I actually have a doll on my wish list who has Asian features, but to me has always looked like she has downs. if/when I get her, that would be how she would be portrayed. partly this is because I have two multiply handicapped kids myself ( though they don't have downs) and I would like to have them represented in my crew

3. I really want the doll chateau conjoined twins. So yes! :)

4. I would absolutely purchase a doll with a physical abnormality! Love LOVE the conjoined twins.. of course this puts up a challenge to dress them, but that is what makes it interesting! The only negative I can think is resell value if you are the type that gets bored easily and trades dolls frequently. I would imagine a much smaller audience.

5. I probably wouldn't buy one marketed as such. Primarily because any doll can be modded to have many different sorts of physical handicaps, and none of them would really fit into my crew. I don't really buy or have any interest in dolls with a pre-conceived concept (like most fullsets). I don't care for Doll Chateau as a general rule, but I do find their conjoined twins a facinating concept. I don't have anything at all against dolls like this. Like with most things it's just a preference that doesn't happen to be one of mine. As for off-topic dolls (and I'm sure someone has mentioned this already) there is a wheel chair for one major doll company (didn't think I could name it since it was off-topic), which I thought was a really cool, inclusive way to draw in girls who may have differences of that nature.

6. I have no troubles with it. In the end physical handicaps shouldn't be seen as a taboo, there are a lot of people like that out there so... there is nothing abnormal about it.

so having dolls like that out there sounds alright to me.

And indeed, like what has been stated before. I also believes it has to do with the character you have in mind. It again allows you to go as creative as you want with your character designs.

7. In a strange way, I believe having dolls with physical differences is a good thing. It's very brave of an Asian doll company to come out with dolls that aren't "perfect". Physical differences and obvious deviations from the norm are still a deeply-ingrained aversion to most people. In a land where curly hair is looked down on because most people have straight hair, having an extra limb or being a conjoined twin has to be a difficult social burden, and it really shouldn't be that way. Having conjoined twin dolls is maybe one tiny step closer to wider acceptance of differences.

8. i also am a fan of the DC conjoined twins and it would be awesome if more companies made some conjoined twins. it's a phenomenon i find fascinating. i'd also consider dolls with other 'abnormalities' - things like that can make a doll interesting, unique.

9. Like many have said before me, I would purchase a disabled doll if it had the same disability as a character I had created and wanted to get in doll form.

10. I think this just broadens the spectrum in the doll world. I've seen things like zombies even in the BJD world, and I thought that was rather odd, but just the other day I saw a post asking if there was a site that sold wheelchairs for BJDs. My heart leapt when I saw that, and the thought of a doll in a wheelchair made me very happy. I'm still not sure why that makes me happy, or even if it's wrong for me to think that, but I like it a lot.

11. No, I wouldn't buy a bjd like that. I not spending money to such strange doll's. Sorry!

12. Beauty lies in the eye of the beholder. I'm glad that there is so much variety that people with different tastes can buy what they like. I personally would not buy a physically handicapped doll. I'm a doll collector ever since and I buy what I personally consider as beautiful.

I don't want to say that handicapped people can't be beautiful, but as for my dolls, I want them to fit in the picture that I have from dolls: cute, lovely, elfish.
      I also don't like horns, wings or other features that can be expected of fantasy-kind of dolls. It's just a question of taste - while I love horror movies, none of my dolls would ever look like a zombie or a demon. I'm tattooed, but none of my dolls will ever be it.

13. I have absolutely no problem with dolls of a disability of any type. I would defiantly purchase doll ore-made with disabilities especially if some of the purchase price went to the care of that particular affliction. I would also purchase parts that could be added as a cap or other types of products to produce more disabled dolls.

I currently have on layaway a sweet boy who will be using a wheel chair because of some of his physical ailments. I have considered that he might have muscular dystrophy or perhaps like myself just have a very weakening auto-immune disease. I will enjoy my doll but if someone asks about him I plan on using him as an awareness tool to bring awareness to the disability.

I think these types of things bring a realistic dimension to the doll world, and I would prefer to see more and more variety not only with disabilities but also with body shapes.

14. I have a doll on layaway right now that will represent a character that suffered a serious spinal injury, and is paralyzed from mid-chest down. Ironically (perhaps), I myself experienced a bad neck injury last year in late summer while at work (quite a while after this character was conceived and I began writing about her, but well before I was able to purchase the doll), and have been going through physical therapy for it. My neck is apparently never going to fully recover, and I'm also going to suffer from severe headaches for a long time, possibly the rest of my life, due to this injury. I guess this makes me empathize with this doll and character even more.

So yes, I have no problem with the idea of purchasing/owning a "handicapped"/disabled doll. I find writing an interesting way to explore the experiences of others, experiences that I myself am not capable of having. Since my dolls are an extension of my writing, this is a natural progression.

15. First off, as a person with a disability, I personally object to the term "handicapped". That having been said, yes I would purchase a doll with a disability. I think dolls are - and should be - as diverse as the people who own and love them. I really have no objection to dolls of any type.

One of my doll characters is visually impaired, like me :) I am even making a little white cane for him, and I've found the coolest prop ever... a 1/4 scale guide dog, complete with harness.

16. I would buy a siamese twin cast... but the cast that I have seen from Doll Chateau ( Debbie and Caroline) is not what I had in mind for the siamese twins I wanted, though it IS a unique design.

17. If there was one that caught my eye, sure. I think the DC twins look beautiful, but they just wouldn't fit into my collection.

18. My wife and I both have disabilities. I can't tell you how much we really really really SEARCH for dolls that actually LOOK disabled. It's really hard. Usually, you have to mod the doll to look disabled somehow. I wish there were more options.

People are disabled, I don't know why a doll couldn't be disabled. For me, having dolls is gratifying because I have many dolls I feel embody myself, and they do things through photostories that I wish I could do but I can't.

My niece has severe autism, and we think at this point it's worse than we thought at her first diagnosis. She's 5 and the Neurologist thinks she has Down Syndrome. She LOVES my dolls and she wants to get into them. She has a tendancy to "mother" her toys, we think, because she's emotionally still a toddler. I really really want to find a doll for her someday that looks like her, coz that would really make my day xD Best birthday present ever.

My wife is in a wheelchair and as a kid, her Dad bought her Barbie's friend Becky, who has Cerbreal Palsy and uses a wheelchair. Her Grandmother took Becky away from her when she found her playing with it and my wife was devestated. Grandma gave her a He-man and She-Ra to replace Becky and it was kinda a slap in the face :'(

Now I have a doll who uses the Becky Wheelchair. I couldn't be happier! My disorder is neurological, but it's pretty crippling. They couldn't make a doll "look" like me tho x'D The only thing that gives me away as a disabled person is that I'm REALLY tall, and my eyes never focus on people's faces. I can't look at people when I speak to them. I don't leave the house very much either....xD So I kinda fail on that aspect. You couldn't convey that visually through a doll.

One last thing about Becky tho. Her body was actually designed to LOOK like a person with CP's body. My wife and her BFF as well as our teenage friend we tutor can vouch for this..everyone with CP has an entirely different body type than other people. I think it'd be way cool to have a way to mod a doll like that.

The Siamese dolls are lovely, by the way! If I could sew, I'd buy them in a heartbeat. I'm pretty sure you need to have their clothes custom made..that's the only thing keeping me from buying them so far x'D

19. If you don't mind my asking, what doll is that? And what size range is it? I just posted about my niece, who is 5, whom was diagnosed as possibly being Autistic but now the Neuro thinks it's Downs. I want to get her a doll when she's a wee bit older.

She's great with toys and she tends to "mother" dolls so a BJD would be so perfect for her. I'd love to know which doll you're talking about coz I've looked EVERYWHERE ; u ;
      Please PM me if you'd like, I'm super curious now! ;D

20. Oh yes, definitely. The odder the better! As for that particular sculpt... I would buy it in a heartbeat if the dolls were side-by-side or (even better) at a 3/4 view of each other.