1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Would you rather commission a faceup, or do it yourself?

Mar 24, 2013

1. I do all my Face Ups myself.
      I did the Face Ups on my Twins so i only painted 6 Heads and now i've got a Face Up request ...
      This makes me really happy!
      The reasons why i do it by myself are simple:

- I only use my Money to buy Materials for Myself
      - I can improve from Head to Head and Skincolor to Skincolor
      - I'm bad to explain my thoughts to others so for me its easier

I love to see my improvements!
      It makes me really happy.
      And it feels greate if someone see your Doll and ask who the Face Up did and you can proudly say that you do it by yourself <3

2. I'm actually getting together supplies to do a faceup for my first doll :) I think I prefer the idea of doing it myself because I'm such a stickler with details and a little bit of a control freak. However, it also just seems extremely fun to learn! I'm an artsy fartsy kind of person so it really just fits into the other hobbies and skills that I have.

3. I would really love to do my doll's face-up but I live in tiny apartment with poor ventilation so I couldn't really use msc or anything to seal :(

4. I would have to do it myself. Even if it looks a bit iffy at first, the great thing about these dolls is that you can wipe it and try again. If you go slowly and do a lot of research, you can typically churn out something half-decent in a few tries. I have no issues with those who choose commissions, but for me I really need to do it myself to be happy with it and bond. Even if I were to commission, I know that it would be impossible for me to convey everything I want to a commissioner and make it look right to me.

5. I totally agree with you, Allavii!

I would do it myself. I've done both: In the beginning I made them myself, but I was quite bad. Then I commissioned five face-ups from two artists, but I had lots of problems with bonding as none of them looked quite as I imagined the characters to look like. Now I make them all by myself again and even though I'm nowhere near to a professional level, I've gotten a lot better, and I'm very happy with my skills and the faces I can make my dolls nowadays. :)

6. I know commissioned ones are better. But for me in case I want to restart the character, at least I have the supplies. So I'd rather do them myself.

7. I've never sent a head out for a faceup. I have a couple of dolls that have factory faceups, because I thought they were appealing/fit the character I was shelling. But most of my dolls have aesthetics by me. It's partly because I'm stubborn. I feel like I ought to paint my own dolls. The other part is, I'm scared if I send them out to someone, they'll get lost in the mail. It probably sounds ridiculous. People mail out their doll heads all the time. But I'm paranoid!

8. I plan on commissioning a faceup, mainly because of lack of experience and an unsuitable environment. My dorm isn't ideal for doing faceups (and i don't really have the time to do one) and even though you can protect yourself from the carcinogenic properties of msc, I'd rather not risk exposing my roommates to even a sliver of a chance. I think I'll wait until I graduate and meanwhile develop other skills, such as sewing and knitting, and then use those skills to save up for slightly safer faceup materials like an air brush and liquid sealant (which i heard is less toxic than msc). For now my dolls can have a lovely faceup from talented artists <3

9. I'm way too much of a perfectionist to let someone else do it for me. I don't trust anyone else to get it right the way I want to. x)

10. All the dolls I have bought have come with company faceups. I do have two event dolls which don't have faceups and I have been meaning to do their faceups myself. I still haven't had the gourage to try it though. But I'd rather try to learn how to do it myself than commission someone to do it. That is because I would be terrified that something bad would happen. I am mostly afraid that the post office would lose or damage the doll/head.

11. Im not that bad when it comes to drawing and painting, but Im hesitant about doing the face up of my doll myself. Maybe I will find more courage in the future. It would be very nice to be able to do it myself

12. I'm not confident enough in my painting skills to do faceups myself. Plus I really like the look of realism for my dolls and my skills just aren't there yet. I don't mind sending a doll out for a faceup, I'd much rather have someone more experienced paint my doll than me.

13. My intentions are to do faceups by myself in the end. I am too nervous to do it on BJD dolls though, so I am doing a lot of practice on my MH dollies. I think about 10 faceups more and then I will have the courage to do it >_<

14. Commissions for me right now, though I don't have any blank heads at the moment (thank God). I paint well, but faces have always been my Achilles heel. I'm also loath to do a ton of work on a face, then screw it up or not like the result and have to start over again. I simply do not have the patience.

15. I LOVE a lot of faceup artists out there, but I guess my experience with drawing and painting gives me this irresistible urge to do all the faceups myself. We'll see how that works out...

16. I have 8 full dolls and one floating head. I have painted five of them myself. The others have wonderful professional faceups that they came with. My first doll has been repainted 8 times, he is sort of my practice head. I have been painting for more than 30 years, and feel comfortable doing them myself.

17. Commission. I can't even paint my fingernails without getting paint where it's not supposed to go, let alone attempt something difficult like symmetry.

18. I do all my face up because the dolls are already super expensive and I always try to save money somewhere.

19. I would commission a face up. I have shaky hands for a variety of reasons and I just wouldn't be able to paint a face up on a doll :(

20. I want to do it myself because I don't trust another artist to get it just right... and it would feel less meaningful then. At least, if I do it, I get to enjoy my hardwork! The only exception is one of my dolls who came with a custom face-up when she was bought second hand.
      Also, I can't for the life of me find any face-up artists, especially ones I like.