1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Would you rather commission a faceup, or do it yourself?

Mar 24, 2013

1. I like to do it myself, even if it isn't perfect, even if my eyebrows are wonky, there's a sense of satisfaction in doing it yourself that is what really appeals to me. Looking at their faces and being able to say "i made that" is one of the biggest draws personally. I love it. Helps me bond with a doll too if i'm painting their face.

2. I want to do my own face up, but I'm very intimidated by the process. When I bought him, he had a rather messy face up from his previous owner, so I feel he can't get worse. (He had superglue built up on the bridge of his nose) As much as I want to do it myself, I feel it would be easier to commission someone

3. I can sew, but I don't know how to paint. I would like to make my own make ups, but it's to hard to me, so I need to use proffesional make-upists skills

4. I would love to do a faceup myself but I have no artistic talent and I would just mess the face up lol:(

5. Commission! My talents lie in sewing so that's my creative outlet. Face-ups are definitely a skill you have to practice and right now I'd rather pay someone to do what I want than learn to do it myself. It also means I get to support artists I like!

6. I would prefer to learn myself, especially if it's a natural face. However, if I really like someone's work I would probably commission them.

7. I`m going to be getting a cheap "practice" head to work with, so for right now I`ll stick with commissions for when I get one until I get better. I`m scared of ruining the doll..

8. Even though it wont look nearly as good, I prefer to do it myself. I feel more connected to the doll, and the teason i got a bjd was because it was another medium of art to try out.

9. I'd like to commission one day, but for now I do my own. I love doing faceups, even if I'm not as good as other people.

10. Commission! I've mentioned it around here before, but commissioning faceups is one of my very favorite things about this hobby. :love It's always my goal to never enlist the same artist twice (unless I desperately need two dolls to resemble each other) because I just really love the variety. BJDs are surely pieces of art themselves, but when you also have a skilled artist painting them, it takes it to a whole new level. Very fun, and I've ended up with a pretty diverse collection of dolls in the end. Always looking for more people to add to my master commission list!

11. I commission faceups as I like to leave it up to the "pros" to work their magic. :abow:

12. I do it. It can turn out really bad sometimes, but it's my work. My first face up was good enough for me, but my actual doll is waiting for his face up since 2018 october, and I still can't feel I want to paint him... But I never send him to anybody. No way.

13. At this point, Id rather just pay someone else to do it. I like crafting for my dolls, so most of their stuff is made by me. Because of this I don't feel bad paying someone else to do just the face. If I did it, they would look absolutely awful. id rather have their face be gorgeous. Id rather spend my time getting better at sewing, or making props.

14. I wish I could do it myself! But I’m really bad at it... So I commissioned an artist. Sadly I’ve a kinda style I like and is hard to find artists with those skills.

#494 Kananshii, Dec 9, 2019
      Last edited: May 15, 2021
    15. I commission at the moment.
      I would love to try my hand at doing them though.
      But I havent got the space / time at the moment to get started but maybe one day :)

16. I usually just find dolls with company faceups I like and get those. Although I do have a blank DD head right now that I might try doing a simple faceup on, since I don't have the spare cash or energy to send her off for a commission. If there was someone in my area who could do it I might reconsider...but I already brought all the stuff so...

17. I've done two minimal face ups myself, mainly because the artists I love have either stopped doing them or are extremely difficult to slot. I'm fortunate that, thanks to past art classes, I had most of the supplies (brushes, pastels, acrylics). I just don't have the skills! I can shade eyes, blush cheeks and paint lips - but the eyeliner and eyebrows are definitely pro territory. All those tiny hairs! My first doll only had two soft smudges for her eyebrows. And forget eyelashes - BCD is re-glue a loose one. I did commission an artist, though, for a special doll and was so pleased and impressed - I wish I was half that good.

18. I mostly buy these particular kinds of dolls so I can draw on them.

I admire and appreciate other artists' work, but I prefer to customize my dolls in my own personal style.

19. I'd prefer to do it myself...but I suck. :sweat

20. My first 3 dolls years ago, I had ordered with company faceup. So far the rest have been blank and i've taken on the tasks of blushing and adding faceups to them. Its a bit daunting but very rewarding for me.