1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Would you rather commission a faceup, or do it yourself?

Mar 24, 2013

1. I have 0 trust in myself when it comes to makeup, so I'd personally get a commission instead (I usually get company faceups). I'm too afraid I'd ruin them haha

2. I prefer commissioning someone to do the face up of my dolls since they were so expensive and I want them to look beautiful. But I own one very old doll (from 2001) and I'd never commission someone to do her face up. She's my "practice" doll for face ups so having someone else do this would defeat her purpose :XD:

3. I would rather do it myself so I have full control over what I'm doing. Plus I'm pretty hands on with most of my projects so I think I would be pretty anxious about handing them off to someone else

4. I commission people to do the faceups, mainly just because I don't know how to properly do one myself. I'd really like to do my own faceups, though, so I'm doing my best to learn through tutorials for the future ^^

5. I am far, far, far from the most skilled faceup artist on the planet. The most basic factory faceup is likely better than I could ever do. That having been said, I am proud of the fact that I did Chaeri's faceup myself. It's my best work by a long chalk. I can honestly say that everything she wears, including her makeup, was made by me. Could others do better? Undoubtedly. But nothing, nothing could replace the pride of knowing I did that, I did my best, and it's good enough for me.

6. It's easier for me to order dolls with default faceups or have them commissioned. I would like to do my own faceups but sadly I lack the patients and skill required to do them.

7. I try to do them myself. I'm not great and make lots of mistakes. They come out hideous and then I wipe them and do it all over again, then fall on love with them. It's really fun and I'm getting better with each one I do. Though, I have commissioned faceups before and my friends and family can tell you I'm horrible at waiting. And waiting for the dolls to arrive from the company is enough of a wait for me. Sending them back out to an artist (even though I do want some of my dolls to be done byvother people!) is really hard for me to commit to. Plus, I want to see their character finished sooner rather than later.

8. im very split on this tbh, im learning how to do face ups right now but i dont have the confidence in myself to do one on anything other than a monster high or a practice head so currently its commission, but i'd love to be confident enough to do my own eventually c:

9. I got my first three BJD with custom face ups from their respective companies, but since I got my first blank doll (which was my fourth BJD), I have always preferred doing the face ups myself. I suck at them; I struggle painting decent hair strokes at any scale smaller than life-sized, so I am aware that my face ups are crap. However, I enjoy painting -- I'm a classically trained artist and I love painting more than any other art-form, so I enjoy doing all the customizing work myself. I could probably search for someone to do a much cleaner job for me, but I just rather do it myself. I don't think it would be as fun as painting my dolls myself; looking for someone to do the face up for me, would be a huge pain in the gut, I think. It's much easier to just wipe the faces and start again, if I really want to, whenever I want to. (:

10. I really would rather do it myself than have to send it away and wait. But after numerous attempts over the years i have to admitt im terrible at faceups and am not improving. Everything else in the hobby ive done my self and improved the more i practice, sewing, modding, wigs, props, furniture... But not faceups. So i really need to just commision someone, and work up the nerve to actually send my dolls away. I have some that i bought secondhand that came with custom faceups that are so pretty they make mine look awful. But the thought of trusting the post office with my beloved dolls that ive had 10+ years terrifies me

11. I am going to be attempting my own face-up. For me, it was a big part of the draw.

12. Do it myself. Each doll is a new challenge for me to get better and giving them faceups. I am slowly starting to get better. I've even wiped off company faceups to have a go at them. I don't worry if they are not perfect, because I am just learning.

I feel like a get to know my doll a bit more when I am working on them. If I don't like the way it turned out, I just erase and try again.

13. As for me Id Happily do it for myself my first doll i did her face up and it made us bond alot :D

14. I usually do both. I usually try to do my own faceup first, and if I feel like I can't quite get it the way I want it to, I turn to commissions :XD:

15. DEFINITELY commission or company faceup! I can't even do human size makeup well, so I know if I try to do doll faceups it would be a disaster. Maybe some day I'll have the courage to attempt it myself, though!

16. im very 50/50 im someone where when i want something i want it done exactly the way i plan so i like doing it myself that way if i mess up or something goes wrong its all on me but i also know theres some face up i just cant pull off cus im not as skilled to which then i send them off to a commissioner

17. I'm definitely doing faceups by myself! :) Painting the features is part of what I love in the process of bringing the character "alive" and the way I picture them. Also if I need to tweak the faceup, it's not a bid deal to redo something I've made, but I'd feel a bit bad for touching a faceup someone else has done for me.

18. I'd rather do it myself, and I do! I've always been into drawing and painting, plus I'm fairly decent at makeup so it's not outside of my wheelhouse. I may not be terribly good at it yet but I get better with each one. I also feel like it's a pretty important part of bringing the character out of the doll and really bonding. I'm also a little less sad if something gets damaged as I didn't spend a lot of money to ship it off and can simply patch it up myself haha.

19. I'd rather do it myself, because that way I learn how and improve my artistic skills. Also if the faceup somehow gets ruined I can redo it myself rather than ship it off someplace.

That being said, I've not done a BJD faceup yet. I do, however, have some experience painting tabletop gaming scale miniatures, and I figure if I can paint the teeny tiny eyes and faces on those, then a BJD should be okay, lol.

20. If I can do it myself, then I would. Maybe in the future... but for now, I am enjoying other people's talents. :P