1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Would you rather commission a faceup, or do it yourself?

Mar 24, 2013

1. I would love to learn to be able to do it myself, but I also love the amazing work I have seen from face artists. If I had a specific idea in mind, I would probably commission an artist, but if I want to play around with it and try some things, I would see about doing it myself

2. I’ve found that you could have a really nice sculpt but if the face up isn’t done well you can’t really see the beauty and i know I’m horrible at face ups so I’d definitely commission it

3. Always do it myself. I like the painting process, it's a great creative outlet. There are amazing faceup artists out there, I just don't need to have their work for myself!

4. I prefer to do it myself.

Sending off heads makes me feel kind of paranoid so I have only sent off a doll for work two times.

I tend to bond with my dolls by giving them face-ups and I am able to be less paranoid about playing around with my dolls to know I can redo their face-ups if they get chipped paint or something.

Like there are definitely face-up artists I envy the skill of, but hopefully I can get on their level eventually.

5. I prefer to do them myself. I enjoy it and even though someone else would do a better job, I prefer to make them mine. And besides I spent a fortune on supplies to do them myself.

6. Sending them away, in theory, were money no object and I could telepathically transfer my goal into the artist’s head. I’m ‘decent’ at faceups, and sometimes I wish I were either better or worse so I could either achieve the brows and eyelashes I want on my own or justify sending them out.

7. I do most of my faceups myself. It really helps me bond with the doll. Not sure I would ever commission someone. I’ve thought about it, because there are some amazing artists out there... but I’m cheap and impatient, so I never have. :XD:

8. I prefer to commission someone. There are so many great artists out there who have amazing work and I love seeing my dolls come back with beautiful face-ups. I attempted one face-up when I first got into the hobby, but I realized I'd rather have an artist paint my dolls :)

9. I feel like I would like to do it myself. Art is one of my main hobbies and I think painting my dolls face would be quite fun and a nice bonding experience with my doll :celebrate. Also, I'm kinda paranoid about my doll getting lost in shipping. :sweat

10. I would love to commission but so far all took about 1 month so i did it myself, its passable but not professional. If only its done faster and cheaper. lol

11. Doing it myself, even though I tend to see my own flaws it helps me express my creativity and figure out what sort of look I'm going for. With my art I've always preferred to see where it takes me rather than meticulously planning it out. I also have anxiety about parting with my dolls once they are with me.

12. Right now, with my inexperience, I'd commision.
      But I want to try to paint mine myself sometime.

13. Maybe I can do it myself in the future. That would be really cool! :)
      But for the beginning I leave this to the professionals. So it's a commisson face-up. :kitty2

14. If I did commission someone I would send them my "attempted" work and ask that they recreate it professionally.
      I like doing my own faceups, but the execution is subpar.

15. I have not an artistic bone in my body. So I send them to a face up artist. People with talent can create such loving work. A well painted face-up can really be the difference between bonding with a particular model or having a more luke warm relationship with the doll...

16. If I was good at it, I would do my own, but it takes a lot of time and money to get started. I just had 2 commissions done from an artist. I'd say the most annoying part was try to convey what you want from an artist while letting them have their freedom. Nothing is more nerve wrecking when they've done a stellar job, but it wasn't exactly what you've asked for. That means they'd have to start all over and I'd feel so guilty.

17. I really like other people's work, but I think that doing the makeup of your own dolls is always somehow special and therefore, all my dolls are done by me.
      The first tries were awful, obviously, but little by little I became better at doing faceups, although it's been a while since I did my last one

18. I normally do my own-- and some of my efforts have come out better than others. I like doing it, but I have to have an open painting area and good weather for spraying and the time and energy...

I've only ordered one with faceup, though Party Martian came to me with one painted face and three unpainted, and I LOVE the look he's sporting there. So while I love to do my own, I also think it's sometimes really neat to see what another artist can do.

19. Commission for sure. My drawing skill is very limited :XD::XD:

20. I think it's fun to try if you can, you can always wipe it off and sent it to someone if your unhappy with it