1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Would you rather commission a faceup, or do it yourself?

Mar 24, 2013

1. I would rather commission, since it is cheaper than buying all the supplies needed. It is also more likely to be done right the first time with a good artist.

2. I've got supplies so I do my own face ups but I need to keep on practicing since I'm never happy with them. I've seriously thought about commission but the cost is stopping me and the fact that I'm quite picky with what I want I don't even know myself :sweat

3. I would rather 'commission'... but that's because I know from experience that my favourite company (Soom) allows you to send them doll heads and pay them for default face-ups. I did this when I bought a blank Amber head from the marketplace. I agonised for ages over whether to attempt a similar face-up myself, or whether to try to find someone willing to mimic her default face-up. Luckily, I thought to contact Soom, and now my girl has her default face-up, which I adore.

I plan to do the same thing if my dolls ever need their face-ups redone, as well =3

4. I did my own from the start because I had very strong ideas for what I wanted, and even now I'm not sure it'd be easy to find someone who could faithfully reproduce it. It's not so much details or colors, but the character of the dolls.

And . . . now that I've done them for years, I refuse to pay someone who can't paint better than I can. Which puts me in the 50-60+ range easily. And since I've already invested all the cost in supplies, it's definitely more expensive at this point to commission <_<

It was a rough road getting to where I could paint tolerably, but it has been something that I enjoyed in the past. (Lately it feels more like work, and I've become more critical of my work, but I've already made the investment.)

5. Myself. I'm not the best doll artist on the planet but it's my doll and I prefer to be the one doing that. I've thought about it, but in the end I just wouldn't I don't think. One of the reasons I am beginning to like BJD's though is because I don't have to paint the inner eyes to get a doll the way I want it. Doll painting can be tricky regardless but usually the rest is a lot easier for me. I like just being able to pop in eyes when I finish.

6. I'd *love* to do a faceup but I simply don't have the talent, so it's best left to others who do! I can sew a bit and can knit anything and it's better that I stick to these activities.

7. I would rather commission.
      I have some practice when it comes to faceups, and I even find it fun to do, now and then - getting to plan how you want the final look, choosing the color palette... But in the end, I don't have much patience to really practice and get better at it, and it's hard for me to be satisfied with the result. It's better to put my dolls under the care of people who are better than me at it.

8. DIY. I've taken a class at DollA-Kon on faceupping but I haven't gotten a doll big enough that I could really try anything out. I got a Ruby Red Honee-B, and she's 9cm and I was way too scared to even THINK about painting her tiny face! I did a couple faceups for a friend though...

9. I always do everything on my own and I will continue doing it when I get more dolls. For me the thing that makes this hobby so fun (besides actually owning the dolls of course) is the process of getting a blank doll, sanding, painting and doing everything to make him or her look like I want them to:). I have always liked to do things on my own and I guess that's my main reason for sticking to the decision to not ask anyone else to work on my dolls.

10. I´m not so good at creativ doings, so I´ve let done all my face ups.

11. I'm hoping to start learning to do faceups on a test head. I don't want to have to send off my doll to be painted, so learning to do it myself is not only less expensive, but safer for me.

12. I make my faceups myself. : > I'm not near to professional or even great, it's just that my dolls don't really need any flashy make ups or anything over amaizing. They are supposed to look just normal and make-up-less. xD And it is good way to me improve my skills and I feel that I have become better to do face ups over these five years. : D

13. Well for me i always commission a face-up because i'm useless at it myself :lol:. I tried it once on a hujoo, and it was a complete disaster:o.

14. I'd rather commission a faceup. I've attempted doing it myself in the past, but I'm no good at it, really. I generally hate my own work, and when I have an ugly doll that I painted myself, I usually grow to hate it after a while. I'd rather have a pretty doll done by someone else.

15. I prefer to commission. I love collecting artwork and sending heads out to various artists is a good way to do that! ^^ There are so many amazing face-up artists that really leave me speechless as well. I'd be 'shamed of myself if I didn't commission them! I do applaud those that do their own face-ups though. It's fantastic to see artists expressing their work through their own dolls.

16. I really enjoy doing the faceups myself. I went ahead and purchased all the materials because for me it seemed more cost effective than commissioning several faceups. I admit I'm not the best at it, but how am I supposed to become really good at it if I let someone else paint my dolls?

17. I would much rather do my own faceup. I consider myself to be artistic, so the idea of creating a faceup on my own was very appealing. I wouldn't feel satisfied if I didn't create one myself. I have the freedom to do anything. When I sit down with a blank head in front of me, I imagine all of the possibilities.
      I did end up buying my first doll with the company faceup, but took it off when I built up the courage to try my hand at it. My first few weren't good, and now I consider the faceups I do passable. I plan to keep working at it until I'm proficient and even beyond that.

18. I would rather do the face up myself. I have a lot of trouble trusting people, especially after reading some of the horror stories about people stealing heads. It's just a big no, no for me. I would hate to lose something I spent so much money on

19. Maybe while I am not that good with faceups yet, I'll comission it but once I've practiced, OF COURSE I'll do it myself. Be saving money too hehehe

20. I prefer to do my own face-ups. I love sitting there and painting the face, or brushing on the chalk pastels. I love how it looks after when I do a good job and I become to proud of myself. I also think it's a great bonding experience with the dolls and a wonderful outlet. Besides, my supplies will do face-ups for all my dolls so many times over, why would I pay money to have it done? Of course, there are exceptions to my rule. I'd get a doll with the company face-up if I like how the company does them, or if I just fall in love with the face-up the company does for that particular doll. I also have no problem with people getting the dolls face-ups commissioned, I just personally prefer doing it myself.