1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Would you rather commission a faceup, or do it yourself?

Mar 24, 2013

1. When I buy a doll on the market place I try to buy blank dolls. One of the first things I do if the doll is not blank is wipe the face up. Part of the bonding process to me is to paint the face. My girls have unique personalities with unique back grounds and designs. I can't really call her mine unless I did the face up myself.

2. If I wasn't getting company face up, then I'd commission for sure. I had really good luck with my first commission so I'm more inclined to do it again. I'd be too frustrated trying to do a good face up on my own, or never be satisfied with it. I guess part of the fun for people who do their own face ups is to keep doing them, but that doesn't appeal to me. I do want to try doing a face up, but not on any of my established dolls; maybe just a blank random head or something.

3. Personally I usually do it myself. It makes bonding with them easier and for some dolls that get handled a lot (IE, the Puki), It just makes sense for me to be able to do their faceups as needed. The only exception is the faceup my friend did on my SD13 Elena. Since she did it, I've never wiped it. :) I do need to get some MSC and gently clean her face and re-seal it, though. Her nose is rubbing off XD.

4. I've never hired anyone to do a faceup -- I have some dolls I got second hand that came with faceups that I liked so I kept them or perhaps altered them only slightly. When I get blank heads or need to redo a faceup, I'm the one that ends up doing it. I don't particularly want to ship dolls (or in this case their heads) unless I absolutely have to.

5. I like this attitude - it's very can-do. I also happen to agree with it: I do my own face-ups as it's a crucial part of the bonding experience for me (and I can re-do them as often and as many times as I like, since I have the materials at hand and readily accessible whenever). I'm pretty sure that when one of my dolls needs re-stringing I'll just go all-out and seam-sand and body blush too (well, since the parts are all laid out and separate, that's the best time). I'm a half-decent artist at least, this much I know from friends and so on, but I really like pushing myself in new directions, and pastels on a sculptural surface (such as resin) will always be a new and welcome challenge to me. :)

6. To save money I actually bought supplies and attempted to do my own faceups as I have four blank faces. I would rather commission artists however as there are a few I like. Most of them it's difficult to secure a spot for commission as well. But after so many failed attempts I'm starting to think I should have just sent them out. I feel like I wasted money on the supplies that could have gone to a faceup.

7. I prefer to give to the good master.
      But, I have one head on which it will be possible to train as wants most to try.
      And there is one character whom I with the person would order at once as he is pleasant to me such with what it drew in firm.

>< awful translator

8. Normally, I do my own faceups (and have progressively gotten better and better at it). I was lucky enough, when I started in this hobby, to be living with someone who, though she started at the same time as me, really had a knack for faceups thanks to her art degree, and helped me get a lot of the basics down. In return, I did hire her to do a faceup on a MNM head that was frustrating me (and since that head's no longer paired to a doll, I will likely never wipe her faceup from it).

I do my own because it's easier for me to find a way to bring out the character in the faceup than to attempt to put it into words for someone else. Not all of them are perfect (I'm working toward redoing some of the older ones), but they have my character in them, and that's more important to me than a perfect faceup; in those weaker attempts, too, are the work toward the stronger faceups I'm doing now, that I wouldn't be doing at all if I hadn't started with those weaker ones. And even if I'm overall happy with my last three faceups? I can still do better, and can still push myself further, as long as I keep doing my own. It's a skill I want, that I would never have developed had I sent every head out for a faceup.

9. I do my own, and it was one of the things I liked about the hobby when I started. To be honest I dont think Ive ever even had a thought of sending a doll for a face-up. I guess since I am so involved in the art hobby the thought of letting someone else paint a doll never really occured to me :)

10. I'd love to do my own, but I think I'll be practising on a Hujoo for a while before that happens. I may send my next doll away for a face-up, although the idea of handing something so precious to a distant stranger is terrifying! So far my dolls have had factory face-ups.

11. I would much rather commission one because I know myself. I know no matter how good a job I do at it all I will see when I look at it is the flaws. I am that way with most everything I do. Plus I really do not think even with practice I would ever be good enough that I would want to keep whatever faceup I did on a doll.

12. I commission. I will probably continue to do so since all of the dolls I own have commissioned face-ups or company ones. I did go as far as buying pricey pastels, brushes, and a practice head so that I can do my own at some point. But because my crew have a sort of uniform professional look to them now - I can't see myself painting any of the new dolls I'm getting anytime soon.

13. I do it myself. Mostly because I cant find local face-up artists who are open for commissions. They're closed most the time. But if i were give the chance, I would commission a face up to keep me from repainting my doll almost every month. Im afraid that it might hasten his aging process.

14. Sending my doll's head away... I dont know if we could be apart so long!

15. So far both my dolls still have their company faceups but I don't intend for it to stay that way.
      I'd love to try painting them myself but it would take too long for them to be up to the quality I would want.
      I'd much rather snoop around and find a faceup artist that would be worth commissioning.
      Even if it takes a while to get a slot it would be well worth it in my opinion. :3

16. I commission, but purely for the reason that I am really bad at painting faces. Not that I haven't tried, I have ^^; Painting their faces is really not my forte, making of clothing and creating stories about them is.
      I probably would get more with company faceups, since some are really pretty, though it would involve me having to respray them so I don't risk contact with MSC >< I would have to ensure that I don't mess that up, some sealants are picky layering over MSC ^^;

17. I would rather do it myself. I have seen several face up artists who do a really stunning job at it, but it wouldn't feel as personal to me. The only reason why I would send one out to do it was if I just could not do what I wanted to do. But I would rather work at it and do it myself.

That is why my cheshire still doesn't have face up yet. I'm waiting until I have the supplies and room to do it myself. And warmer weather.

18. I've never done a face up before, and would be too nervous to do one on my girl when she arrives. I would much rather buy a v. cheap SD head and then practice face-ups on it, then when I improve, do one on my girl. However if I found a face-up artist in the UK that I REALLY liked, I might commission them!

19. I decided that part of my artistic expression and fun in this hobby will be doing my own face-ups. I am an artist anyway, so I figured it would be fun for me to try. I did my first face-up not too long ago and I was pleased with it for a first try. I now know what to change for next time and what I can improve on so I'll just grow from here :) From now on I am going to do all my doll's face-ups. That being said, if there is a particular look I'm going for and I just can't seem to get it right myself, I would consider commissioning.

20. I don't feel like the doll is truly "mine" if I don't do the face up/body blushing myself. It's all part of the bonding process. Plus I also feel I get to know the doll better from assembling it and painting it. It's almost like a ritual I suppose. :)