1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

XXX Country Buyers Only

Feb 6, 2009

1. When browsing the marketplace, I have often noticed sellers who wish to sell only within their own country. I have also seen sellers who prefer to sell only within the same continental area. Neither of these limitations make a whole lot of sense to me!

Maybe this issue only seems debate-worthy to me because, as a Canadian, I am sometimes confused by sellers who specify that they will sell to US buyers only; while I can kind of understand preferring not to ship overseas as there is a slightly higher chance of the doll being lost in transit, I’m surprised that for some people even shipping across the border seems like too much trouble, although shipping to overseas states is apparently fine.

So I’d like to hear some other people’s thoughts on this issue. My formal questions are:

1. Have you ever refused to sell outside your own country? Outside your continent? Would you?

2. What are some reasons people limit potential buyers geographically?

3. Do you think buyer education plays a part in the decision? I.e. do people prefer not to ship internationally to avoid angry buyers saying “You’re charging how much for shipping?” What about seller education? Are sellers preferring to stay in-country to avoid educating themselves about international customs requirements? Because they are un-informed or mis-informed about shipping options in their own country?

4. Does a seller’s willingness to ship internationally (if stated) influence your decision to buy from them?

2. Hmm... I can't say I don't do it (sell only within the US). Usually I do sell internationally since it's always fun to see who is buying what and from where. But right now the USD is at it's all time low, where we're losing a profit, people overseas is actually gaining an item they bought for "cheap". Right now the Asian currency is stronger so therefore I'm only willing to sell things within the USA to avoid getting "ripped off" (not meaning to offend anyone). But if it's something that I desperately need to sell (like bills right now) then I'm willing to do anything if you want to save on shipping outside the states lol!

Other than that I don't mind shipping outside of the states. If the person truely wants said item, and can pay right away (even if it's layaway), I'm willing to ship :) But if it gets lost in the mail, it's not my fault, and that's one thing I wish some people would understand (even if they live in the states).

To your questions:
      1. Have you ever refused to sell outside your own country? Outside your continent? Would you?
      I haven't refused anyone who's asked to buy from me and lives outside the country. The only time I've refused someone is when it was first come first serve basis ^^;

One of the reasons I've come across is that shipping to certain places can be a real pain. I have a friend who lives in Australia and shipping there is no picnic. Buying from people who live in Australia can be somewhat of a hassle if you're buying a pair of eyes and you have to pay $12 for registered airmail :\ But then again it's a huge flat land, so it is understandable, but also unfair since their post isn't very reliable as I've heard...

3. Do you think buyer education plays a part in the decision? I.e. do people prefer not to ship internationally to avoid angry buyers saying “You’re charging how much for shipping?” What about seller education? Are sellers preferring to stay in-country to avoid educating themselves about international customs requirements?
      I haven't come across any of these yet - but some people are just plain lazy and don't want to fill out the custom forms. Easy thing that my friend said to me, "Just grab a stack of the Delivery Confirmations, Custom Forms, etc. and you just fill them out at home so you can do it fast and easy at the post office." I didn't even think of doing that until she said so XD Plus it's free, they're not going to stop you at the door lol~

4. Does a seller’s willingness to ship internationally (if stated) influence your decision to buy from them?

Not really. I don't care where they're located to be honest. But I do have a pet peeve with people who don't act polite in PM's when you're interested in their items and are out of the country. That and they won't respond to your PM unless you're absolutely committed to buying.

3. 1. Yes. Most frequently I won't sell outside the U.S. And I don't know if I ever would. I do mark my posts thus.

2. Cost of international shipping. Trustworthy-ness of foreign postal systems. Foreign currency exchange.

3. No. And no. Although those can be factors, I don't really believe they're major ones. Most sellers that ship internationally do warn about extra shipping costs, so buyers shouldn't be all that surprised...

4. No. I don't usually buy from individuals selling outside my country. I'll buy from companies outside the U.S., but not usually individuals.

As for myself, I know that I prefer to sell in-country because of shipping costs. And there's less hassle involved in selling something within your own country. You don't have to fiddle-faddle with forms (which I have done for a GO once), or worry about a foreign postal system losing your package. I just feel like there are more things that can go wrong with international shipping...like the farther a package has to travel, the more things that can happen to it.

I couldn't say if these are the same thoughts other people have, but those are mine.

4. As an overseas buyer it does affect who I can or will buy from. I don't presently limit buyers of my items based on location as I myself am in Japan. If anything I may wind up over-quoting shipping in my for sales post based on JP website rates. I find this deters buyers who are a bit flakey or unwilling to accept the costs/risks of overseas shipping. And people who agree to buy are usually happy when the shipping comes out to less than what you initially asked for. Japan has very reliable post, but the only insured option from here is EMS, and I usually do without it when receiving small items bought from others. No problems yet.

In the past on ebay I stopped accepting buyers from Canada (in particular) and overseas for a period of time because the only problems I was having were selling stuff to overseas (breakage in transit and insurance claims). This was when I was actively collecting antique bisque dolls that are far more likely to break in transit even when packaged very well. It was after paypal use allowed ticked off buyers to do chargeback but before they tied in with the US post website for more accurate shipping quotes, I think.

There was one case where a doll sent to Canada didn't arrive for weeks and then was broken on arrival. I processed the claim for the buyer and apparently the US and Canada post were fighting about who ought to pay up. The claim check showed up a year and a half later. After I'd lost any hope of getting in touch w/ the buyer and I know I told them to send her, not me, the $ in the first place.

Frankly, some countries have better postal service than others, and I don't get mad when someone says they just won't deal with shipping to a particular location. I might feel different if I lived in a locale with a 'bad' or 'slow' postal service like Italy or Canada. If really want the item I might send a polite PM asking if the seller is willing make an exception to sell to me, if not that's one more thing off my 'to buy' list.

5. In general I have no problem selling internationally though there are a couple of places I won't sell to, specifically Italy & Russia because of the many postal & customs problems there. I also won't buy from a few countries anymore because of ridiculously long shipping times.

The only real problems with selling overseas are shipping rates & customers wanting values marked down because of custom taxes. I state outright that I refuse to do this because:
      1. It's illegal & can cause serious repercussions for both the buyer & myself.
      2. I required all large packages, both domestic & international, to be fully insured. If the value is marked down, the insurance will only cover that value, not the full amount of the purchase. I cannot be held responsible for the difference.

There's nothing I can do about shipping rates which have risen absurdly since changes in the postal service. There are no more small parcel rates which were great for shipping items under 2lbs & a certain size. Things that I used to be able to ship for around $15 now cost $30. If buyers understand this & are willing to pay the new rates, I'm willing to sell. Things like custom forms are actually very simple & can be completed in a few minutes. International customers must also understand (as domestics ones must as well) that even though I do my best to ship items safely, once they are out of my hands & into the postal system they are out of my control. I cannot reimbuse anyone for loss or damage, which I state upfront, that must be handled thru postal insurance & with international parcels that can take a very long time.

It's really up to each seller to decide whether or not they'll accept international sales. Their decision makes no difference to me when wanting to buy from them.

6. I'm glad someone has brought this up. I find it extremely off-putting that on an INTERNATIONAL forum some people refuse to sell to buyers outside of their own country. If the buyer is willing to pay for the shipping costs and the seller is able to accept international forms of payment such as Paypal there is really no good reason for it. As long as the seller & buyer agree to the conditions (such as customs taxes, marking the parcel value etc) I don't see any issues. I can't see why someone would even limit themselves and alienate hundreds, if not thousands, of potential buyers for their item by doing this. It's really frustrating as a buyer and would make me think less of the person doing the selling so I'd be less inclined to buy from them in the future even if change their mind.

7. This is a very good topic.

On the whole I've not had many problems buying from overseas, the problems I have had are one girl in the US who had me hanging on for a week while she 'sorted out the shipping cost' and then turned around and said 'actually I found a buyer in the US and sold him to her instead' - well 'Livid' didn't cover my feelings at that point. Especially since the money was waiting to go on her word and I was first in line to reply to the ad - nowhere on which did it say 'no international'... That didn't give me a 'global village' feeling I can tell you :) If she'd have stated up front that she only wanted US sales, or that she had never dealt with international before and was worried about it that would have been better than the frankly quite rude and offhand last pm she sent me about the matter.

You do however get flakes all over the place, something similar happened with a seller in Germany, although she never bothered to reply at all after saying she was 'thinking about who to sell to' - despite her first PM saying 'oh you're the first to respond' and the other girl - in the same country, never had the doll appear on her doll family list so I'm assuming the seller changed her mind or sold elsewhere again, I probably should have mailed the second buyer just to ask!

Most folks who sell internationally are lovely to deal with, and I've had many many wonderful experiences on this site. Including one girl who had an item I was desperate for, I pmd her on the offchance she'd change her mind as the ad stated 'US only' and she was wonderfully honest and up front 'I've never shipped internationally and it worries me a lot' so, as a veteran buyer from overseas I was able to talk her through the whole process and got a lovely PM at the end saying she was now able to offer international sales without worrying about it.

Only selling within country will affect me - obviously - LOL our native UK people seem to sell more rarely I think <grins> I also think that sellers are missing out as they've pretty well just cut their potential buyer market in half, this site is so global that you could get interest from anywhere, seems silly to limit that interest.

That said I do very much understand the worry about shipping costs, like I said I'm a veteran at buying from abroad both on ebay and other places in other hobbies, I have a working knowledge of shipping costs, some people do not - especially those who are younger or who have never bought much from overseas. It can be worrying regarding items being lost or damaged - and I hear ya about the arguments between the buyers and sellers postal services arguing about who pays the compensation when damage happens, my partner went thru a similar experience to Lyrajean except she was the buyer.

Unfortunately I never sell items, but I would happily sell overseas if I did. Firstly as has been stated, this is an international site and I would hate to turn away half my potential buyer base, secondly I love dealing with people overseas - it gives me a real sense of global community - to the extent of calling up an atlas online and trying to locate their town just out of curiosity :)

Anyhow those are my thoughts

8. While it can be disappointing, I understand how some buyers might not wish to deal with foreign postal systems. They may have had misfortune with it previously, or don't want to risk any potential issues. However, I would have nothing against a buyer asking a seller who has such a declaration with a polite, respectful request for them to make an exception. If the buyer fully agrees to take all responsibility for any possible problems, and covers all of the costs, then there should be no problem. And of course, the seller still has their right to still decline.

Personally, as a Canadian, I wouldn't feel that bad about asking a "US only" seller about extending their reach to Canada, as there are trade agreements and such. On occasions where a seller has listed one set price for US and another for International, I often ask which one they consider Canada to fall under - and it usually goes as US. (In case anyone thinks this is wrong, somehow, I have never put pressure on the buyer for one or the other; if they decide the higher shipping cost is appropriate, that's what I pay.)

9. I, living in Germany, have sometimes problems like this.

I understand it might be expensive and maybe difficult to send something abroad, but...normally the buyer pays for it, so where's the problem?^^'
      However, I can understand people who are aware sending a doll far far away overseas, but a pair of shoes? Eyes? A dress?

I think I would be a little bit nervous, but as long the other person pays the shipping cost, I would do it :) However, maybe except Italy and Russia, 'cause of their post problems ^^'

I don't know. I would say a buyer would limit the people he/she would like to buy from, but vice versa?

3. Do you think buyer education plays a part in the decision? I.e. do people prefer not to ship internationally to avoid angry buyers saying &#8220;You&#8217;re charging how much for shipping?&#8221; What about seller education? Are sellers preferring to stay in-country to avoid educating themselves about international customs requirements?

Maybe? Possible, I think. In some countries the shipping costs are REALLY huge (one reason for grouporders, hm). And the last questions...myself, as a very lazy person, thinks yes. Some people like it easy X'D

4. Does a seller&#8217;s willingness to ship internationally (if stated) influence your decision to buy from them?

Yes. 'cause I'm not living in the states I need those people who don't make a difference between their homeland and abroad. It makes things easier ^__^

10. When I sell I don't limit myself to only my country or continent
      the problem with the Netherlands is just that we can not insure packages to non-EU countries for more than 146 euro, which is utter rubish(and no, we can not buy additional insurance either)
      that and parcels take long and often have shoddy tracking

therefore if two people would want to buy something, and one was, say, from Spain and the other from the US I would prefere to sell to the person from spain as EU shipping is automatically insures to 500 euro(at least from the Netherlands)

I also prefere to buy from EU sellers to avoid high (about 33% of total) custom taxes
      Of course when I buy from outside EU I don't ask for marking down, I would refuse to send a marked down parcel myself, so I certainly don't expect others to do it

11. Huh? If you set a price in USD/whatever currency you are using and someone pays you in that currency how are you getting "ripped off"??*_*
      -sidepoint: currencies like the S.Korean won are definitely NOT getting it for cheap if they are paying you in USD and only recently (past few months) has the Japanese yen gotten "stronger" than the US dollar.

Maybe for some people it is a hassle (they think?) filling out forms and what not to send stuff internationally especially something like a doll, and then add on top if something goes wrong in the transaction especially if you are sending it to a country where the primary language isn't one you speak. (Don't think I would want to deal with French customs as I don't speak French :sweat etc)

I do find it kind of annoying though whether it's here on doa, y!j, ebay, etc, in the end of someone says US/etc only even if it is in the country I am in I usually won't even look at that post/auction-I just assume (however right or wrong) that that person doesn't have much experience shipping stuff/selling and perhaps it will be a headache for me dealing with the person.

12. Very interesting point made.

It does get very disheartening when I find a sales thread that has things I want but alas will not ship out of their home turf. It is quite understandable but disheartening nevertheless.

I ship internationally. Or at least I have done on everything I've sold so far but I don't record or insure it because most of my sold items are so small they fit in envelopes. But I am about to embark on sending a 1/6th doll to estonia which will of course be bigger and require recording at the very least! I don't think I would sell a bjd out of the country, only because the shipping costs for a 'heavy' object with the Royal Mail is absolutely sky high. I have heard of costs reaching over 90 GBP (thats like 130 USD!) just to send one sd.

However I do think that if the buyer is prepared to give you all the money for shipping, the least you can do is to handle a tiny bit of hassle and fill out a few forms. And they're not HUGE forms.

13. I don't really agree with it.

Shipping dolls from the UK to other countries is extremely difficult due to size and weight restrictions on outgoing parcels, and a generally overpriced (due to being broke) postal service.

However I am very hesitant to say 'UK only'. Unless the doll is massive I will try to find other options, e.g. sending the the doll fully or partially unstrung.

I want to give the buyer the option. Whilst Airmail exists, I have no right to say 'I can't' unless the doll is over the weight limit.

14. 1. Have you ever refused to sell outside your own country? Outside your continent? Would you?
      No, I usually happy to sell anything to people who are nice buyer. But I know some buyer would ask seller to ship in a regular mail, and later ask money return said they do not receive. Even with register mail, it is still has some risk in there. There is no proof they recieve or not. sometimes it is quite troublesome....
      Just as I said previously, the risk of losting mail, high postage...

3. Do you think buyer education plays a part in the decision? I.e. do people prefer not to ship internationally to avoid angry buyers saying “You’re charging how much for shipping?” What about seller education? Are sellers preferring to stay in-country to avoid educating themselves about international customs requirements?
      No, and no. It is not the education problem. To me, it is a time consuming problem. As you are the buyer or seller, you have much heavior responsibility.
      I used to worried about the package when I sent international mail. You do not know it will be ever arrived if the reciever did not say it.
      Yes, it is one of the reason.

15. 1. Have you ever refused to sell outside your own country? Outside your continent? Would you?
      I haven't yet, but I've been highly tempted.

There are two reasons for me that encourage me to think about limiting my shipping to within my own country:
      1. People who want me to lie about the actual value of their package. This is illegal, it makes me highly uncomfortable.
      2. People who claim that "That can't POSSIBLY be how much it costs to send such and such to MY country, you're OBVIOUSLY ripping me off!!!"... I have gotten international buyers who have told me this when I'm sending them something like a doll head, and then they reference the last time they bought an article of clothing or something like that from my country... not only do I NOT rip people off with shipping, but I always tell international buyers that, should for some reason shipping be cheaper, I will always refund the difference... and I always have.

3. Do you think buyer education plays a part in the decision? I.e. do people prefer not to ship internationally to avoid angry buyers saying &#8220;You&#8217;re charging how much for shipping?&#8221; What about seller education? Are sellers preferring to stay in-country to avoid educating themselves about international customs requirements?
      Yes to Part 1 of this question... I especially hate when International buyers insist that there is a really cheap way to send something from the US WITH tracking for cheap. Honestly, there isn't... not if you want a *true* tracking number... I also hate when a buyer wants registered mail but seems to think that it will cost the same as non-registered, and be just as fast. Registered is an additional $10 flat fee (actually, it's slightly more than that) and it actually SLOWS down the package. I also really, really, really hate when you've gone through all the trouble to set up a sale with an international buyer, and then you tell them that shipping to them will be extra, because it costs a lot more to send, and they back out because of that... shouldn't everyone expect to have to pay a little more for International shipping at this point???
      As for the second part of this question, I'd say no. I'm always happy to mail an international item per the buyers request for method.

4. Does a seller&#8217;s willingness to ship internationally (if stated) influence your decision to buy from them?
      Well, obviously. If they aren't in my country and don't ship outside of their own, I'm not buying from them.
      However, as far as what I think of a seller for limiting their shipping range... I honestly can't blame them. International mail is one heck of a hassle (at least in the US)... there are customs forms which are long and annoying to fill out (this isn't really a big deal, you could just get some and take them home... but I could see how it would start to drag on someone who had to do it repeatedly), there really isn't a good and inexpensive method of tracking the package... and heaven forbid it does get lost, both countries postal systems that are involved then start playing the finger-pointing game and telling you how its the other countries fault, not theirs, then there's the fact that I actually have to wait in the long postal lines to mail it (and cross my fingers and pray that I don't get the annoying postal worker who seems to make up his own friggin rules for shipping, since he hassles me about 110% more than any other postal worker about shipping... even in-country packages), because there aren't automated machines to ship internationally, like there is with in-country mail... and then there are the high costs, which, if not figured correctly, can really cost the seller some out of pocket dough.

16. 1. Have you ever refused to sell outside your own country? Outside your continent? Would you?
      I have never refused and can't really imagine doing that... Although there is a chance I will have to someday, simply because I can't insure packages to some countries, our post office won't allow it (UK, probably New Zeland, ...)-- so what I am supposed to do if a person from one of those countries will request insurence? With EMS and my sea of bubble paper the risk is very small, but still-- I would rather not lie that the package is insured and then take the responsibility if something happend.

Oh. Look above. For now that would be my only reason though. I don't do "it's too much trouble to fill some paper". I am pretty grateful that someone is willing to buy my stuff.

Um, I don't think so. It's obvious that shipping to a different continent will be more expensive... I wouldn't worry about angry buyers. Lazy sellers happen, though.

Well, of course I can't buy from someone who doesn't ship to my country.

17. Actually, this is a fallacy. As it stands at the moment the $ is stronger against the £ than it has been in nearly ten years, it's also risen against the € considerably in the last six months or so, so in fact, if anyone's getting "ripped off" when you sell to Europe and the UK at the moment, it's us, not you.

For example, this time two years ago, the exchange rate was £1.00 - $1.98, now, it's £1.00 - $1.45. The UK's lost a huge amount of buying power, not the USA.

As for the rest:
      I've never refused it, but shipping large boxes internationally from the UK IS difficult and expensive. I probably won't ever refuse it, but I don't ever ship a doll strung for these reasons.

Personally, it's a question of dealing with the intensely useless UK postal service and their inability to charge you a reasonable price. If it's going to be prohibitively expensive to ship something abroad, then there's a valid reason not to.

There are a few countries that is it physically impossible to ship trackable items to, Italy for one, because they simply don't have a tracking system there. I do try to avoid posting expensive items there because of this and I know I'm not the only person.

Everyone has the right in a free market to choose where they ship to, I'm sure for some people, the hassle of reading up on foreign customs and shipping is just too much work, but when it comes down to it, it's their decision if, as someone else already said, they wish to cut their market in half.

As for buyers, of course it's your responsibility to know the rough going rates for things you're importing, how else are you going to know if you're being charged fairly or not? It's simply common sense to check.

Well, since the majority of sales on this forum and from the states and I'm in the UK, of course it does. A lot of great items pass me buy simply because the seller won't ship outside of the USA, but that is their choice and one which I can fully understand having been selling internationally for many years now.

18. 1. Have you ever refused to sell outside your own country? Outside your continent? Would you?
      No, but there are times when I mentally wince ie when people from countries with low customs fees are interested in my dolls etc. ie Spain, Canada. I know with Canada that Aust. Post doesn't offer insurance so the buyer has to accept the risk, this has cost me sales in the past, but I don't want to be out doll and money any more than the buyer. The same with people who want me to mark down items for customs, it means it can't be insured for the full value. I recently had a BJD I sent to the US go missing and luckily it eventually turned up but there would have been hassles over postage and other things. The buyer didn't pay for insurance, but luckily I did so we were able to trace the package. I know in future I'll be insisting on insurance for every doll I send.

The dramas of having things potentially go missing and having to deal with two lots of post offices.

No, it's just easier to deal locally for everyone. I understand that as a buyer and can respect people's decision to not want to ship items overseas.

Yes, because most sellers can be based in the US so international shipping is necessary to buy from them. There are also other issues of other locations like Canada can have larger shipping fees in comparison to other countries often due to the exchange rate. I'm also wary of France because I've heard the postal system is extremely slow, difficult to track and the dolls can take ages to arrive.

19. Unfortunately, I live in the "infamous Italy", so I know well how it feels when a seller refuses to ship. When you're looking for a rare item, such as a limited outfit or doll and you find that the only one selling what you need at the moment is located in a foreign country and doesn't want to send because you're in a sort of "black list", well, it's quite frustrating.
      I know, maybe shipping to Italy for someone is nothing but a whole bunch of problems, but when they occurred I was always the first trying to solve, without burdening the seller with my worries and anxiety about the transaction.
      Lowering the value on the form, well, for someone is illegal, but I think talking by experience that is somewhat necessary. I am very unconfortable with fees calculation, when the items gets declared for the right value you usually pay more than it's worth (for example if I mark a package 40$, I am more likely to get a 40 euros custom fee, which is unfair).
      Every transaction for me is a risk, but I am not to blame for living in Italy. I got my order refused by Ndoll because of that, when companies start to act in the same way it could be more than a trouble. You almost feel like you're being cut off.
      The best I could do is to assure the seller and to give some guidelines. I had problems with delays, but not with broken or damaged items. Maybe I was just lucky, but it's more than four years that I've been dealing with e-commerce (and I haven't purchased just dolls, but also clothes, books and so on ^^).
      I always choose priority international (flat envelope and standard) and express mail from USPS. Never had problems so far ^^

20. up to now, I've been very lucky with sellers and no one has refused to ship to spain, not even a full 70cm doll :)

I myself... well, I prefer to try and sell first in Spain when it comes to dolls, in local forums, but if I'm not lucky, I don't mind selling internationally. I do this because EMS shipping from Spain to anywhere else is ridiculously high. you can ship from the USA a doll EMS to my country for 50$, but the other way round would cost around 100 $ :o

of course, any seller would prefer to buy the same doll coming from a country where shipping would be less expensive, that's the only reason why I prefer to sell in my country first.