1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Yellowing: Is it "Natural" or does it constitute "Damage"?

May 14, 2009

1. Depending on the quality of the resin, I would consider it natural. It's just like anything you buy, it eventually looks it's 'age'. I don't have any problem with my dolls yellowing.

2. I think yellowing is natural - the resin can just be like that. I won't think about "does it yellow or not" when choosing a doll.

I also won't try to fix it. The only exception - and the only thing "unacceptable" - if the doll will yellow in irregular spots in visible places - I don't want my dolls look like they have some illness. So i'll try cover it to the best of my ability, and if not - will try sanding. But if yellowing can't be seen by people or it goes evenly - I let it be.

As for last question - it's not a month yet as I've bought yellowed doll. I haven't done anything with yellowing and don't plan to. Really, it's not as yellow as, say, Dollzone's skintone and I think it's rather nice-looking.

3. Yellowing only bothers me if it's uneven - usually hands/face yellowing more than other parts of the body due to exposure to heat or light. As long as yellowing is consistent over the entire doll, it doesn't bother me.

4. I love yellowed white skin dolls...it makes them look more natural instead of ghostly...My WS Puki was second hand from one of the first runs of Pukis EVER and she's a pretty shade of ivory...but boy was I in for a shock when I bought a brand new WS Puki!!!

I would...and I mean this...NEVER buy one of the old Bambicrony colored elves (maybe tan) because they lose their color so much it's totally unacceptable to me. The new ones seem to hold it much better. I like to take my dolls outside sometimes and to have a doll I can NEVER bring out or even have a household light on bothers me (esp. since the old BC elves are $600).

Extreme yellowing to me is improper care...especially if it's splotchy. If it's a nice yellow tinge throughout then I would say it's natural...and I would pay the same amount as original price.

5. I would generally consider dolls yellowing as natural, and wouldn't mind buying one if it has yellowed evenly so it's not too noticeable. But if it has yellowed due to improper care then I'd consider it damage and would buy if priced accordingly.

6. That totally depends on the type of yellowing. My WS AS Andrea has yellowed a little over his six months with me, but I think he looks better now, not deathly-pale anymore but more like redhead-pale like he's supposed to.

On the other hand, if it was something like Luts' beauty white turned into a "beauty green", well... ^^;

In short: I like it if it looks nice ^^

7. Like Mista Isilme said with her WS doll my WS BBB Ophelia has been yellowing and it doesn't bother me at all because she looks so much better than paper white X_X Her skin is more of a normal very pale skin tone now.

So for her I don't mind, I don't have a NS doll just yet, in about a month or so I'll be getting my boy home whose NS and he's a secondhand doll so I'm not sure if he's yellowed much or not even if I've looked him over quite a bit.

I guess for me it just really depends on the resin and how much its going to yellow, if my girl turns straight yellow THEN I would have a problem.

8. This is an interesting thread. I'm new to bjds and just grasping the concept of yellowing. I've read a lot about it (sunlight, maybe heat, maybe just atmosphere) causing resin to yellow. I don't think I would be bothered by it except I have read threads that describe yellow almost orange/brown yellowing that is not uniform. Also, green is sort of an unusual color for skin. I attempted to post a thread in gallery asking people to show some of these "extreme" examples. I don't know what happened to it. Poof!

I love the look of French resin, there is just so much "negative vibe" or so it seems, that I guess I should shy away from those dolls, but I'm wondering if I would just have it and it would yellow and it would think no big deal.

As I have never seen a yellowed doll in person and it is difficult to see in photographs, I still don't see what the big deal is. (I can imagine people shaking their heads and thinking noob -- that is so true). Someone please explain it to me. Better yet, if anyone has an extreme example and can post a picture -- .

9. i saw a yellowed MNF shushu on the marketplace last year
      i really wanted to buy here (i think even because of that yellowing she was so cute *lol*)

10. I think yellowing is a natural thing. I don't believe that by yellowing alone you can tell if a doll was 'well loved' or 'improperly cared for', since eventually dolls just yellow. I personally don't mind the idea of yellowing unless it looks completely unnatural. Then it would bother me. However, I haven't seen many dolls that are that yellow.

Depending on the doll, I may buy a yellowed one. It depends rather heavily on other factors. Such as other damage, how hard the doll is to find, price in comparison to other prices, etc... As for practice heads or working dolls, yellowed is fine in my eyes. It's just a chance to experiment without ruining a brand new doll that has never seen the light of day or a loving owner.

11. I got lucky with my NS Shiwoo, he yellowing looks like a light tan. But I don't consider yellowing as damage though.

12. - Do you feel that yellowing is just a natural feature of resin, or does it constitute a damaged doll? Is yellowing a sign of a well-loved doll, or is it a defect that signifies improper care?
      It's a relatively natural feature of resin and I think it's to be expected that at least some yellowing will occur eventually. I don't think it necessarily means improper care or a well-loved doll--the rates of oxidation are different for each batch of resin (in conjunction with how much sunlight exposure there is). It's really a roll of dice as to how much yellowing will occur.

- When does yellowing cross the line between "acceptable" and "unacceptable"?
      I don't really have an opinion either way unless it has to do with putting up the doll for re-sale. I think it's important to notify potential buyers of any yellowing or, more importantly, uneven yellowing.

- Would you buy a very yellowed doll? If so, would you try to "fix" it? Why or why not?
      Perhaps, but it depends on the degree of yellowing and how even it was. :)

13. Sort of like how wrinkling is a process of ageing?

14. - Do you feel that yellowing is just a natural feature of resin, or does it constitute a damaged doll? Is yellowing a sign of a well-loved doll, or is it a defect that signifies improper care?
      it is not improprer in some case, too old (4 years or more) ! but i other case, that significate the owner don't care to sun :/

for me, it is when see fluo lol !

- Would you buy a very yellowed doll? If so, would you try to "fix" it? Why or why not?

if it is an Unoss, it is rare to have not yellowed doll !

15. - Do you feel that yellowing is just a natural feature of resin, or does it constitute a damaged doll? Is yellowing a sign of a well-loved doll, or is it a defect that signifies improper care?[?B]

To me an evenly yellowed doll is gorgeous - it gives them a sense of time-passed and to me its like a well-loved family heirloom. No-one can completely safe-guard against yellowing forever and if a doll is 10 years old and still as crisp white the day it was made I'd feel a bit sad because they werent touched and loved-up...

To me if you know how yellow it is when you buy it then its acceptable even if half your dolls head resembles a Banana. When its Unacceptable...? Well failure to disclose yellow to me is the only crime - not the yellowing itself :)

Yes I would - as for "fixing" it this would depend on several things - if the doll was very unevenly yellowed I would sand it a little to make the colour more even... if it was evenly toned then no - I'd leave it just as it is...

16. Failure to disclose yellowing in a sales post makes me consider yellowing to be damage. If yellowing was widely considered a natural process, disclosing it in a sales pitch wouldn't be taboo for some sellers.

I don't mind yellowing, it's a natural process. I would be upset if my doll yellowed unevenly, but that hasn't happened.

17. Acceptable to me : If it can be reversed. I accidentally left the blinds open on some VERY sunny days, and now it looks like my boy has a bad tanning job. :( But I've read up some ways to de-yellow, and I'll be trying them soon.
      Unacceptable to me: If it can not be reversed. Though, even if I can not undo the yellowing, I'll turn these lemons into lemonade, and try to even out his yellowing so he's one even shade.
      This has been a learning experience for me, and I can't believe how quickly the sun can yellow them! I'm quite mad at myself, but we'll see how he turns out.

18. i think that yellowing is a natural part of the process... it shows the dolls age...
      plus, in many cases, even 7 years old dolls aren't so much yellowed.
      i think it's fine :)

19. - Do you feel that yellowing is just a natural feature of resin, or does it constitute a damaged doll? Is yellowing a sign of a well-loved doll, or is it a defect that signifies improper care?
      Both. It is natural, but it also means it show wear. Erison of rocks is natural, but it also makes the rock smaller, if you can get the connections. Its a matter of opinon. And it could mean that they're loved OR improper care. If a doll is yellowed, its not too hard to get rid of it, IE, with peroxide baths. The owner could possibly like the yellowed colour, bathe them, not care, or hate the colour but not want to bath them. It's their choice and perspective.

The only thing I can think of is if the doll is being sold and the owner makes no note of it. If not, its still all perspective...

- Would you buy a very yellowed doll? If so, would you try to "fix" it? Why or why not? Of course! If I love a doll, skin colour won't matter too much! Just like humans =] If I liked the shade of the yellowing and it was even, I may let it go, if I don't, I'd peroxide bath them!

20. Yellowing happens, but I have to agree with everyone who said the uneven yellowing and turning green is past the "that's normal" yellowing.

I don't know if I'd go out of my way to fix it... I cleaned one of my dolls with 91% rubbing alcohol because he'd gotten pretty dirty and the brown water and lightening of his yellowing that happened did make me happy. He simply looked better is all. Cleaner. If I bought a yellowed doll I would indeed clean it the same way, if the yellowing lightened then thats awesome, if not... No big deal.
      Less it was green. Then I'd be trying to reduce that to at least a pretty normal yellow.