1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Your Bad Experiences With BJD's in Public

Nov 17, 2012

1. I've heard nothing but good so far about bringing dolls outside the home... besides yellowing of course! I am curious... where are the horror stories? It's good to know that it's generally a positive experience but... what's the worst/some bad things that have happened when carrying a doll around in public? ...be it for photography, a meetup, or just to have him around? This is just to say ahead of time, I'm really sorry to any doll owner who sustained damage in any of your experiences.. that's an owners worst nightmare. :(

2. I read one time here on the forum an owner was at a meet and set her tan doll out in the sun for not even five minutes and suddenly he was greening all over just rapidly.

3. oh gosh that's horrible :o

4. My worst was at a public meet when a young child whose mother was not watching her grabbed one of my dolls. I about had a panic attack, I'm pretty sure I DID scream. I don't handle children touching my dolls well at all. Lucky for the kid, one of the ladies in our group is much MUCH better with small children than I am and gently got him back and explained why she shouldn't grab without asking. The mother never acted on it at all.

The other bad experience was in a park meet when some random guy started being an idiot and pretending to freak out over "Chuckie".....he was just being really really stupid, I didn't let it get to me.

5. When I got my first doll a while ago I was so excited about it I tried to revolve everything around dolls, so I brought the poor thing with me to school in order to make a stop-motion video for a class (or something like that). As I was leaving the school and walking to the bus with a friend of mine who filmed the project for me, a gust of wind blew my doll's wig off. Before I could pick it up, someone relatively nearby took a running start and kicked the wig into the parking lot. While I was immobilized by shock my friend ran to retrieve it for me, then he walked me away from the situation and calmed me down because, understandably, I was angry.

That was my worst experience, and it happened 4-5 years ago. Nothing bad has happened since then! :)

6. I haven't had many bad experiences in public. However there was this one time, a couple of years ago, I was at a con with my mother.

We had come across a both that was selling BJDs and other items so I stopped in there to buy some things for my dolls. My mother had fallen in love with this cute tanned 70cm boy doll so she decided to buy him. Since she was already dropping a lot of money, she only could afford to buy him 2 Monique wigs and a pair of shoes at that time. However she was able to find a pair of shorts and a t-shirt for him to wear (I couldn't lend her anything at the time since I only had MSDs) The wigs she bought were slightly too big for his head and kept sliding off. We had no velcro at the time so she used some clear tape as a quick fix. Even though he wore a make shift outfit and his wigs were too big, she was so happy with him. Her face literally lit up as she looked at him. I was so excited for her because at this point in time, she didn't really show interest in owning a doll but she had enjoyed my dolls.

That evening we went to one of the doll meet ups that were organized for that day. My mom was so excited to share her doll and talk with others about dolls. Now, I should mention that she is this adorable little Filipino lady who has a relatively thick accent but she can speak English well. Anyway we got there and people were off in their little cliques doing their own things. My mom, being the social person that she is, tried her best to talk to people there, but they didn't give her the time of day.

She ended up speaking with a lady who had just bought her first doll at the con too. (We were there in the booth and she had been asking me questions since I was helping my mom. I know this person was just as new to the hobby as my mom was) The entire time my mom was talking to her, this lady was being condescending and rude to her. She acted as if she knew everything and my mom was the dumbest person in the universe. Her tone was so snobby that I couldn't even handle listening to her talk to my mom.

Anyway, I was talking with one of my friends who had come back from a panel, when I looked over to find my mom. She had been sitting off to the side by herself fiddling with her doll. I told her we didn't have to stay so we left. Let's just say she ended up not liking her doll so much after that and did not want to go to the final meet up with us. She put him away in his carrier and didn't really touch him for a few months. She eventually told me to sell him.

While this experience seemed to put her off to the hobby as a whole for a couple of years, she is finally showing interest again.

tl;dr - Some buttmonkeys were rude and condescending to my mom at a con doll meetup, who made her upset and discouraged her from the entire hobby. It's my worst doll experience in public to date because the entire thing still makes me so angry. (Sorry it was so long)

7. I haven't had a really bad experience with my dolls out yet except the one time I had some kid's mom walk by and she kept saying "Look at the creepy doll! Look at the creepy doll!" I wasn't too offended by it, instead, I just felt bad for the kid to have to grow up and learn from such a rude person.

8. Recently I had a horrific experience as it was my engagement party of the weekend I had positioned all my dolls in the glass cabinet case that was in the corner of the lounge room.

Now to make more room for my guests we were forced to move part of the recliner couches over to the wall beside the cabinet (my idea and I regret it).

As the night progressed, someone was rough housing on the couch (alcohol influence here) and knocked the cabinet. At this point ONE doll fell. And although I panicked and checked it over and was happy that it was not damaged I replaced it back in the cabinet and closed the doors.

Sadly, no more than 20 min. later the same thing happened only this time... ALL of the dolls came crashing down.

A HUGE 70cm Dragon Doll fell like a pillar of resin onto my much smaller clan compiled of a DZ Megi-3 and MSD which in turn then proceeded to fall on top of my even smaller smaller clan of Hujoo's.

Sparse to say.... I had the worst heart attack and checked over every single one meanwhile fearing the worst. But they are ALL ok and no harm done.

But the lesson I have learned here is perhaps it is best to put the dolls somewhere alot safer when you know your having a party that has alcohol.

9. Aikohaku: wow you're story reminds me so much of why high school.. no, school in general was torment for me. I can NOT stand how obnoxious people act in high school. It's depressing to think that high school isn't the only place these morons exist though - they grow up, graduate, and move on to be idiotic obnoxious adults. Your story especially just made me smoke at the ears and think of how much I hate people. I really have trouble understanding what would make someone KICK a wig that's obviously and tragically on the loose, and someone's trying to get it back. It's bad enough that the thing fell on the dirty ground - but they were compelled to KICK the thing. I just can not understand that stupid mindset at all. I can understand not caring, and not feeling compelled to help retrieve the runaway item... but to kick it with my nasty shoe..? And people call me a bad person for hating people in general... why would you wish that much malice toward some random persons property, or does it just not occur to their idiotic brains...?

Miu Len: Was it a Gothic doll or something? Yeah it's sad that people randomly insult strangers' property LOUDLY, talking to someone else. Talk about passive aggressive...?

Seems like with small kids it's usually just an unfortunate and difficult social situation, but I think a lot of the stuff with older people... even with drunk people and kids who ought to know better is enraging.

Bishie_Hunter: You said they wouldn't give her the time of day... was it because she was a newbie and they didn't want to have to give her advice, or thought she was too 'uninteresting'??

10. Lol No, not a gothic doll. This was taken on the same day, only a couple of feet where I met that unfortunate woman.
      http://imgur.com/3oKao
      Other than being a doll, he's not even that weird looking.

11. Hmm... I've heard of people acting this way about BJD's. Though... he does have 'angry' eyebrows... they look normal to me, but for people with no exposure to anime or something they might think it looks very much angry.. MAYBE if she thought he was a female like stupid people will think anything with long hair (or feminine face/voice/etc) is necessarily a girl. Maybe that would be a scary lady face to someone... but who knows why she said it.... typical people. And he's a gorgeous man ;)

12. xD Why thank you! I actually don't think she even got a good look at him, honestly. I stood between her and the doll (not only because I WAS IN THE MIDDLE OF TAKING A PICTURE) but she sounded so crazed that I was afraid she might take a run at it. LOL I can see what you mean though. I did try very hard to get the most realistic sculpt that suited him but alas...

13. Ah! Don't feel bad about his looks - he IS realistic.. especially his nose, and the area around his mouth where it looks soft. n.n Wow she was that bad, huh? lol

14. There are a lot of threads like this, from people being creeped out, to handsy sticky people...

I haven't really had any "horror" stories. I have been annoyed by people. I hate doll molesters (people who have to flip a doll to see if it has underpants/naughty bits). I also get annoyed by people who talk down to new owners at meets, or snatch up a newbies doll and start to mod without real permission.

15. I went to Disneyland with a couple of girls, one of whom had several smaller dolls in her backpack. At one point, we stopped and a very rude person punched her backpack... you know, instead of politely asking us to move. Then we went to a popular picture spot, were taking a couple of quick photos and this lady is standing there hemming and hawing and tapping her feet even though we were there first and only there for a couple of minutes. Not horrible but definitely some rude people.

16. ...they ....punched a lady's backpack.... -faint-

17. Thank you Kymera yeah maybe...this should be closed on account of being a duplicate of that one? sorry guys! D; But my intention was specifically in public.... like interactions with people

18. True, but that thread does cover a lot of what you were asking.

19. Yah, I was reading quite a bit of that other one and I DO find this one just a bit more interesting. Here it's more of a people situation and on that one it's more of something bad happening to the doll.