1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Your dolls and posing (or lack thereof)

Apr 16, 2014

1. Wow, so much interesting information. As a newbie to the hobby (even though I have about twenty BJDs), my brain is on fire, lol.

2. I have no problem with my msd...(standing and sitting)
      but my sd dolls seem to have a problem with raising their hands at shoulder lever... and staning too... maybe because their hands and feet are too heavy? or maybe because I need to hot suade em??

3. My best poser is my dear mine Oskar. he stands like a champ and crouches like it's nothing even on uneven ground. and that was strait out of the box too

4. This effects both of my dolls!!
      My withdoll pricilla and my mystic kids lillian both have trouble standing, like since ive owned them they just wont stand!
      I think i can restring Lillian but not pricilla, so they either sit or laydown.
      Id also like to add that my lillians arms and hands will not stay where i want them too

5. I have given this some thought, and decided that I might be brave enough to try kips (those little rubber rings), depending on one thing. Do kips give an equal result to hot glue sueding? If not, it might not be worth it for a 'meh' result because of my hands. Sending her out will be too expensive, so kips is thee only option right now.

6. My Custom House Ange Ai Gaby isn't a great poser at all. They don't kick or anything, but I have a problem with their legs always turning around in the socket and getting stuck. Robin can, however, do some basic poses but they can't do anything complex.

7. All mine (66-72cm) can stand, but some have springy arms that won't stay in position. I will do some sueding when I have the time.

8. My Dollzone Yosd is the best poser of my dolls. She's tightly strung and wired, so she will hold just about every pose I put her in. Her main problem is her bobble head and her ankles, but I am planning on buying some silicone rings to remedy that problem.

My Dollzone SD, Gray (with the new body), is a pretty solid poser, though I think he could do with some wiring. He came with silicone inserts in his elbow and knee joints which definitely helps him pose well.

My Dollshe boy is frankly is nightmare XD. I havery him as tightly strung as I can get him, and I have him wired, but he still can't hold poses well. His knees, especially, are always giving out. But even if I suede him, the way his body is engineered, he won't be able to do what my other two could. But I love him anyway.

9. The lower the center of gravity is, the easier it is to pose. My Littlefee is by far the best poser out of everyone because of how small she is- not only is she less likely to fall over, but she's small enough that her magnets are strong enough to hold her during her more difficult poses. I've gotten her to stand on one foot, do a handstand, and plenty more. Only thing is, her ankle magnets are so strong, when she stands it automatically defaults so her legs are constantly closed.

That being said, my Feeple60 boy can pose with no problems as well- it just takes a bit of getting used to since his legs are so long :lol:

I think my worst poser ever was a Lillycat Constantine a friend let me borrow for a hybridizing attempt. Very lovely body, absolutely adorable and pleasing to the eye, but the classic body tended to default into a sitting pose, and the forearms were always springing up to be raised. I think it was probably due to a tight stringing- if it was restrung a bit looser or was wired, then it wouldn't have had those issues. 2nd worst poser was my Feeple60 Moe Rin- she would slip and slide due to her ankles, the Moe body cannot sit straight, and frankly the bust joint was rather useless unless you wanted her to lay down on her stomach and have her looking up at you.

10. My Mystic Kids Evelyn is an amazing poser; she was able to stand like a rock right out of the box. And with a little hot glue sueding I couldn't ask for her to be able to pose any better. However she is my first and only doll right now so I don't have much for comparison, but regardless I don't have any problems or complaints with her so she's wonderful :)

11. i've tried kips and hot glue sueding. the only thing I really like hot gluing for is when they have kicky joints that refuse to stay. I find a lot of dolls are too tightly strung or too loosely strung. I've gotten a method where I can get that sweet spot where it's not too tight or too loose and then I can get a really good range of posing without sueding! it's a personal preference of mine because I find them harder to pose when I have glue sueding in there.

12. All of my dolls where 10 years old with old style joins and everyone still seems to complain about the way older dolls pose... however I never had any issues. If you learn their quirks it becomes very easy to make them stand and pose. they can't touch their face or bend their legs all the way, but they still have a lot of amazing poses you can put them in! It's actually still amazing how well they pose to me, but maybe I'll be amazed how hard it was after I get my new dolls with the new style of joints and such! xD

13. Hm firstly for me, I really don't like to suede my dolls (did it once w/ hot glue and it ended up picking up so much dirt, getting gross, peeling off etc.) and I'm fairly picky about posing with my dolls. Only exceptions being if a particular doll is like, a huge grail for me or would be super hard to hybrid; then I'll put up with subpar joints. Ex. my Soom Little Gem. I LOVE her, but her posing isn't the best. It's not terrible by any means though. Just her arms don't have nearly as much range of motion as my other double-jointed dolls.

I can't quite decide who my very best poser is out of my current dolls. I guess for overall ability, it would be my Bluefairy Tiny Fairy (Neo body) and my BeYours 65cm boy. They have the works (double jointed elbows, knees, rotating thigh joints) but each has their own small issues. I got my BF body right before they updated the knee joints... so mine has the super snappy knees. BF is selling the new knee joints separately now so I might grab some. My girl's posing is great but those knees kill me.

My BeYours has the best thigh joints out of my current dolls. They rotate as well as having little notches that allow you to bring the legs almost right up to the chest, and lock them in place. His knees and elbows are pretty standard double-jointed fare.
      Best range of motion in the arms, which I guess I'd say is most important to me, are my Peak's Woods Dandy boy and my Volks SDMidi boy. Their elbow joints are just very flexible and smooth, allowing a lot of movement.

My less-good posers (though I love them so!!) are my Volks SDCute girl and my Soom Little Gem girl. The SDCute has "double joints" in her elbows but... I can hardly call them that. They only move slightly farther than a single joint would. The Soom LG has nice thigh movement, no actual joint there but the holes in her thighs where the elastic goes through (IDK how to explain this smoothly sorry) have like an X-shape. It lets her thigh be rotated and hooked into place so she can sit cross-legged or in the "Suwarikko" style. I have her with fantasy parts so her legs are single-jointed, but pretty decent for single joints. Her arms are alright, not as bad as SDCute but not as big a range of motion as my other dolls.

My Felix Brownie is also an amazing poser even as small as she is! As for dolls I no longer own, my worst posing experience was definitely with my Iplehouse JID. The thigh and torso joints were okay, but I hated the elbow and knee joints. Like the SDC, I felt they almost didn't qualify as double joints compared to my other double jointed dolls. My Iple boy was so beautiful and well made though, I will say that. :thumbup Another doll whose posing I really disliked was my Crobidoll C-line girl. I only had her maybe... a month or so before selling her. The posing was part of the reason, but it's worth mentioning I also didn't have a character for her, and she was a bit of an "oh so cuuute and cheap" secondhand impulse buy. Her double joints didn't work too well (like SDC and JID) her thigh joints were alright, but her wrist joints, strangely, had really limited motion if I remember correctly. I also had a Bobobie mature type 3-part torso girl body. It had great double-jointed knees, and the 3-part torso was nice, but the arms were single jointed and there were no thigh joints. The other problem was that the holes in the wrists were so small I couldn't fit any s-hooks through them. When I received her secondhand the person had actually strung the elastic through the holes instead of attaching the elastic to the hands via s-hooks. I had a DBDoll YoSD sized doll who had pretty great posing, the size just wasn't right for me but she was lovely.

I did have a fully single-jointed doll once. Never again. :sweat

I don't think I have any tips, tricks are usually specific to the body in my experience. :)

14. My Minifee is by far my best poser. She is able to stand and hold amazing poses if I can balance her right.
      The same can be said about my Doll Love Ya, most of the time, but she does like to kick back to her resting position sometimes.

On the other hand, my secondhand Dearmine Angela might be a bit too loose. I had trouble posing her just today, and I think I need to dedicate time to improving her posing. She is a wonderful doll, but she is the old body with single joints, and is a bit loose compared to my new Priscilla.

Needless to say, none of my dolls are sued yet; nevertheless there are plans to sued a few of them.

15. Aelic (a Kid Delf on the original boy body) poses okay; he could definitely do with some new elastic and sueding at his hips and shoulders and maybe knees. His arms pose really well, they can hold most anything solidly: unless the shoulers are involved. The double elbow joint is not very pretty, but it does it's job.

He slouches nicely and his head is fairly posable as well, though I would like to get a donut of some kind to help hold it up better. His hips and knees are kind of a problem area, because he just has a slot style hip joint and his knees are single jointed. He can stand up straight or sit bent at the knees and that is it. Some sueding would probably help, but there's only so much you can do with single knee joints...

Right now he's kind of in that butter zone where his elastic is loose enough that, even though his legs aren't too solid, they're not terribly kicky either. I feel like if he was strung tighter, his kness would start snapping into a bent position really easily, but it would probably help his floppy hips... I kind of want to get him a new body if I'm honest; pretty much all my pictures of him are portraits, because it's so hard to get his lower body to hold a realistic pose beyond standing and sitting, but his upper body is a dream. (He also has been in a box for probably two or three years, so...new elastic is definitely in order.)

16. My Luts SDF65 is my best poser among 3 of my dolls. On the other hand I still can't get my Volks SDGrB stand straight. He can stand firmly by himself but his upper body tends to lean forward so he always looks 'humpbacked'. I already re-stringed him but it doesn't really help.

17. My BlueFairy May (classic full blossom body) stands like a rock once I can find her sweet spot. However, she really doesn't like sitting up on her own but that may be because of the very top heavy full blossom body. Also, she's single jointed so she's limited on what she can do.

18. My Minifees are pretty decent posers in general. Then there's the black sheep of the family, my A-line tan Celine (now Sircca). She was so tightly strung when she arrived she couldn't even sit straight, let alone stand.

19. My dolls aren't the best at posing, but they can stand and sit like rocks! They are good at the poses they can do, but they just can't do somethings very well!

20. My vinyl DD and Obitsu are the best for posing, and I can leave them standing with no worries of falling. Just perfect. My best posing resin bjds are my msd Charm Doll and Fairyland Chicline. I would never leave them standing without me being there, but for posing they are always reliable. The rest of my collection....not good. They can sit, but they are all either kicky, or floppy due to construction. Oh well, I love them anyway!