1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Your dolls and posing (or lack thereof)

Apr 16, 2014

1. Iplehouse- Hard to pose, but great at standing
      My doll collection began with Iplehouse SIDs (both male and female), which is known for terrible posing. I had the most difficult time with their elbows. Positioning them required pulling the arm out and the elbow nugget, and half of the time the piece would unlock and shoot back up into the socket or dislocate completely. Sitting is also an issue. My SID girl is the more troublesome between the two, since she absolutely refuses to sit unassisted. The hooks in her hip joints are pretty much useless. I had no prior experience with BJDs before, so I got used to their quirks and it was considered normal for me. With much patience, posing was manageable.

When I acquired my Iple nYID, it was then that I realized how much easier posing could be. This one's hip hooks actually functioned during sitting, and the elbow joints are much more similar to the double jointed ones found on most BJDs (although the arms have a tendency to bend rather than remain straight).

Iples are also notorious for their very limited ankle movement, but the trade off is much more stability. They have no problems standing, and can pull off very natural poses such as legs partially bent, slouched to the side, narrow stance, you name it. At the end of the day, I favor aesthetic over posing. So long as it can do the basics, I'm fine with it.

MYou 45cm - Requires kips for good posing
      My first and only MSD. The lightweight body and extra torso joints allows much more versatility. the elbows are an improvement over my Iples (he has the usual peanut), but never have I ever owned a doll as kicky. Any slight bend at the hips and he would buckle over. Same with his knees. I have since added kips in all of the joints of his lower limbs and he now holds positions much better. With the kips, he can squat unassisted with ease.

Withdoll SWD- The best
      Is the best at posing straight out of the box, no modifications required. I was absolutely blown away by her engineering. She is the only doll that I trust to display without a stand. She can sit unassisted, and the ankle joints have the greatest range of motion out of all the dolls in my collection. The best feature is her elbows, which can be posed with ONE HAND and can be rotated in any manner very similarly to that of a human arm.

2. Mine is too tightly strung so little adjustments are difficult. You do get to know how your doll likes to sit and whatnot so after a while it gets easier. I like using chairs to sit but thick wire (or thin wire doubled up) helps in a pinch with standing.

3. So I've been reading this thread and what exactly is "seuding" and what are "kips"? I'm still very new to this and I keep learning all these new terms

4. Sueding is putting something in the joints to make them less slippery... it used to be actual thin pieces of suede (leather) glued in the joints. Now it's either fake suede made expecially for jointed dolls, or you can 'hot glue suede' -- which is putting a thin layer of hot glue in the socket part of the joint. --Traditional doll supply places sometimes sell suede for this purpose. Antique dolls with joints often had sueded joints.

Kips is Volks' term for little silicone disks with holes in them that are strung between joints in order to hold them in place more easily. Same theory as sueding--if you raise an arm and it keeps falling instead of holding the pose, you can try sueding or kips or some people try putting wires through the joints ( following the elastic) in order to try and get the pose to stay put. You can find silicone disks sold by some bjd suppliers. They come in various sizes for different sized joints.

#124 april, Mar 14, 2018
      Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
    5. Oh, I get it now, thanks so much :)

6. My classydoll senior girl body isn't the best poser. She even had difficulty standing. I'm not sure if that's due to the way of how she was strung. Her legs have different elastics from the body.

On the other hand, I just received an Impldoll Star body. Her ability to pose wows me. It's not perfect, but so far she's the best posing doll I have now.

7. The answer to this problem, as given by the topic starter, is simply lie and cheat. How?, i will tell you.

[​IMG]

This is Avalon "B.A." Mercury, she is a tall 65cm IMPLdoll Bella SD girl. And however a very good poser, dolls still don't have over 100 muscles in their legs to keep their balance like we humans do. So this walking pose is as good as impossible for every doll.

How do i do this? By using the surrounding area and a 2mm thick, 80cm (almost 3 foot) long steel welding rod covered in flat black shrink tube to prevent unwanted reflection of light. On the dolls end, there is a 90 degrees angled straight hook about 20mm (3/4 inch) long.

The hook grab the doll in the waist, in this case behind her leather belt. The other end is clamped between the tiles on the background. Position the rod in a way the camera cant see it.

You also can stick the rod into the ground and the other end into the dolls pants or hook it into the boots the make the doll walk freely. Of coarse out of camera's view. This is not always possible, in that case edit the visible parts away.

8. most of my dolls are great posers one of my favorite posers is actually my msd Gem of doll . my only problem with her is that her head doesn't really move like at all her head movement is pretty minimal.I can probably fix it by sueding it but as she is pretty stationary there isn't really a need

9. Posing ability is important to me, which is one reason I love double-jointed, excessively jointed, Russian BJD

10. 2 years into the BJD hobby made me realised that I prefer thigh mobility when it comes to doll bodies. I like my dolls to be able to pose freely, having their knees to their chest etc. Which made me regret buying AS 74cm male body. The lack of thigh mobility somewhat irks me. I know that ID75 also dont have thigh mobility. But I heard that they can hold their poses really well.. I have yet to get a ID75, but I guess I can live with it.