1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Your doll's "Fingerprint"?

Mar 28, 2009

1. For me, it was the smirk. That famous Luts Shiwoo smirk.:aheartbea [Bakayaro onna, I blame you! ;) ]

it was literally love at first sight.:aheartbea:D:aheartbea I knew I was looking at Sakuma Ryuichi from Gravitation when I saw that smirk.

I used to have at least one of the pics from the Luts site up as my desktop on both my laptop and my phone and I'd look at it after working a 6 day week and sigh. I did it for months. And still was the only breadwinner in the house at the time. I paid the bills and worked for that mischievous smirk.

And then I found someone willing to work with me to get his type three body. Willing to give me layaway. Which I paid every two weeks until I had it paid.

And then I was laid off.

My friend Java-Wolf, let me use a loaner head so that I could bond with Ryuichi's type three body. Of course, this was before I found out that Shiwoo would be coming with the type three body as an option.:doh

So I fretted over finding a Shiwoo head in the MP. I looked...every night.

And then Java-Wolf came through again, and told me that because of a three-way deal, that I would have my Shiwoo head.

As a gift.:o:D:aheartbea:fangirl:

I nearly fainted, I was so happy!

She even sent me the papers, so now he's official! :aheartbea

A spoiled, very loved and appreciated Rock God and Nittle Grasper vocalist with all KINDS of toys and jewelry and whatnot.

Sure he's a work in progress. His eyes are the wrong shade of blue, not to mention finding a wig in his particular shade of green is turning out to be a monumental effort.

But its worth it. He'll NEVER be sold. He's one of a kind.

Now, together we're now saving for Tohma!:)

And I can tell his particular smirk from a crowd of Shiwoo.

Ryu and Ryuichi

2. Well, my first boy Rikka is just....Rikka. When I opened up that box a few days ago, I immediately realized that he wasn't like the character I imagined him to be. Where I imagined he was neutral, not-really-frowny-but-not-really-smiley, and a bit overreactive at times, the moment he came out of the box, I found that Rikka's a lot more mellow. He has this sort of calm, gentle happiness about him, he's more cuddly and a tad shy, but now that he's here, I can't imagine him any other way. :3nodding:

I think the fact that the KDF Ttori was the first humanoid BJD I fell head-over-heels in love with might have something to do with how unique he is to me, too. :XD:

3. Hearing you talk about how you got Ryuichi and how much you love him makes me that much more committed to getting my own BJD! You've inspired me, Ryuichi13!

4. I think it's because of us ourselves. Our life experiences and who we are can contribute to how we think our doll should be. Maybe from something we watched or someone we met.

I'm still trying to bond with my first doll. She sits on my shelf most of the time and I don't take random photos... so maybe that's what the delay is. But she's 53 cm, it's hard to bond with her. She's so big, I can't really take her anywhere. Little dolls appeal to me more, I seem to get more excited about them.

But I think when my second doll comes and they are able to interact with each other... I will figure them both out. The way they want to speak to each other and pose together... I think this will definitely help define who they are.

5. I know what you mean by "cold stare!"

One of the things I LOVE is the option to be able to slightly cross Ryuichi's eyes, thus giving him a more innocent aura. [Don't tell him that he's "innocent," I get enough mischief from that imp!:lol:]

Barbies have nice clothes and cool accessories, but that cold stare is probably what unconsciously turned me off of them when I was a kid.

Ryu

6. My first Doll (and only atm lol) Takuya was originally going to have the persona of Takuya from An Cafe.... but as soon as i opened that Box...he didnt have the vibe that i wanted for the kinda peronality i had originally created.

so in the past month that ive had him ive been stumped trying to figure out a personality for him....and about 2 weeks ago it came to me....

Split Personality!

Now Takuya is the J-rocker / Visual Kei side that i originally wanted just a bit cuter, then his other personality Kura, is the side that came to my head after looking at Takuya for the first time...ther 'innocent slutty type' XD hehe i love that my mind is so messed up that i make my own dolls personas messed up too lol

7. My character Sophie was originally supposed to be a happy-go-lucky kind of girl, but when I first pulled her out of her box, she looked so serious I knew that would never work. She now has 'selective mutism', and only ever speaks to her brother and boyfriend. :)

8. I had a personality all worked up for my first bjd Saké - he was supposed to be cocky and full of "I do what I want' attitude - but instead he turned out be a calm soft guy - all dreamy and romantic.

9. I remember the price tags on most of these dolls being way above my ideal budget! haha... it took me about a year before I discovered the IpleHouse Ryushin sculpt, and I can't really explain this, but this was the turning point for me... I knew that THIS was the sculpt for me, and that I would do what ever it took to bring him home... so I started storing a little bit of my pay to the side, every payday... until finally, I had the funds!

Now, when my IH Ryushin came home, I didn't have too many plans for him, except that I wanted to name him Zeek ((Ezekiel))... and that I perhaps wanted to make him into a Steampunk type of character... Other then this, I had no idea what his personality would be like, or anything else, for that matter...! I'm still learning!

So far, Zeek seems to be a well rounded nice guy, but instead of just being a Steampunk kid, he's explained to me that he's from more of a Steampunk-inspired-Retro-Futuristic alternate universe ((I know, it sounds so complicated, hahaha))
      He's an engineer of sorts, he likes to work with scrap metal, old junk parts and turn them into new and handy things. Our technology is primitive to him, but yet, he still entertains himself with my 'primitive' video games.
      A charming trait about him, is that he just LOVES listening to all kinds of music... but when he's tinkering away at his latest creation, he NEEDS to have music from the 1940's playing in the background, for inspiration!

Now to sum it up, Zeek keeps telling me a little more about himself, each and every day! It’s kind of like meeting a new friend, where you start off with just a name, and the more time you spend with them, the more you learn about each other!
      When I thought he was a steampunk kid, he kindly steered me into the right direction. I didn't have a whole lot influence on his character, it’s mostly all him!

…And I find myself listening to a lot more music from the 1940's because of him!

He's also been helping me re-create his real garbs! Here's a peek, if anyone's interested @.@

http://kora-chan.deviantart.com/art/Zeek-sketchdump-126487592

10. My husband decided to surprise me for our wedding anniversary/my birthday by getting me an expensive doll. To date, I've only considered Chinese companies because of the cost, though I admire the aesthetics of the Korean and Japanese companies a great deal. He searched Ebay and found a Luts Blanchett for sale, complete with clothes, wig, faceup, and a painted event head, too. It was a really good deal.

I happened to be oogling dolls on the internet [mostly guy dolls] and he grew concerned when he noticed my taste wasn't jibing with his. Who wouldn't when $650 is on the line, right? Blanchett is kind of baby faced and the faceup was little technicolor at first glance. I liked the event head much more, its features are sharper, more mature, and the natural tones of the faceup more flexible. He chose the perfect body, so I had no concerns there.

As I stared at the auction photos day after day, Blanchett started to grow on me. I began to see the possibilities and to appreciate her. She arrived yesterday and I welcomed her with open arms. My first impression -- she is sweet and very ladylike. I sat her on the windowseat and she automatically crossed her ankles and sat up straight. :fangirl:

I think we're going to get along great!

11. I realized at some point that a white-skin Bobobie Elfkin would be a perfect mini-version of one of my favorite fic/RP chars (who is usually human or originally-human vampire, but he's always a blood elf in WoW). The one in their so-very-small pic on the site looks very calm and serene, which would be true to him (I think it's how they placed the eyes, actually, butanyways). So I decided to begin my dolly collection with him, finally got Aster about two months later, and wow but he couldn't have come out more opposite than expected. Okay sure I guess he could have given me a completely evil impression (which I am actually expecting from my currently-in-the-mail DZ Bady Demon Leo)... but actually he's more just obnoxious, demanding, and impish.

I have noticed that if I place his eyes a little different, he can look more calm, but they still seem to move on their own eventually back to the more "oh no you DIDN'T!" position. Must be the eye putty. Right. Sure. xD

Does this effect how I feel about him? Not at all. I can get him to behave (sorta, he needs restrung) for photoshoots where I want him to look less impish, and as to the rest of dolly life, he's not going anywhere. He's been a great introduction to the BJD world, and I can't wait to see who Karl ends up actually being. And I juuust put Dollzone's Limited Asura on layaway. Talk about jumping from tinies to the big-time. XD I have no idea who he is or what his name is, and I'm waiting to see and hold him and find out what he wants. I'm so used to thinking character first and doll second, but for Asura, waiting feels like the right thing. ^_^

12. Well, last Halloween I saw on ebay a Doll Love Leon in grey resin and instantly fell in love with him. He was a limited full set and had his own cute personality. Seriously, he was so cute I said "Awwwww....your adorable!" out loud. He was a complete impulse buy.

I later regretted getting him, purely because I normally think things through (most times to the point of talking myself out of a purchase :sweat) - I hadn't heard of the company or the ebay seller before I purchased him and the fact he was limited.

Anyway, when he arrived I opened his box to find him headless...his head was rolling around the top of the doll box....and he had a broken ear and a few scratches on his face and neck from the s hook. Luckily the seller was absolutely great and sent me 2 free heads for my trouble. As soon as I saw him in the box I just liked him more. It's weird, it was like "well, I can't hurt you anymore than you have been hurt" but I was still upset. His cute personality didn't seem to exist. He just had this rebel kind of attitude as soon as I opened the box.

I took him apart for restringing/repairs and left him in pieces for a few months....I just couldn't stand to even think about him anymore....I just couldn't bond with him at all.....I didn't even want him near me....I seriously though of selling him (which for me is a huge thing - I normally get attached to dolls really quick). Then I ordered a few things from dollmore and I received a pair of glass eyes as a free gift. Those eyes are the thing that made me LOVE him! They were the right size/colour/everything! :aheartbea Now that he had a personality transplant, I was determined to get him back together. It took me a few (frustrating) tries to get his stringing right, but now he is back in one piece.
      He is my cheeky little rebellious monkey and I have fallen for him all over again. If it wasn't for him I wouldn't be capable of restringing and repairing my dolls. He was a blessing in disguise ;)

13. Actually, I think that different wigs have a great impact on a sculpt. You mention multiples of a blank (faceup-less sculpt) doll even looking different from the next. This is definitely contributed to by the eyes and the hair in my opinion.
      From there I'd have to say the faceups contribute enormously to differentiating between them, even ones that have a factory faceup, there will be some variation no matter how small.
      Then I suppose you could think about seamlines and bubbles in the resin or damaged areas.

Looking at others' posts I'm starting to think I didn't quite get the question.

I read some above (page 1) and have to agree with spenser's mom also that perhaps not figuring a doll out can lead to a miss on bonding. I recently got a Souldoll Limited doll and I've had him over a week and yet, still feel like I don't care much for him. For one thing I don't feel he's a good sculpt for the character I'm trying to fill. But the doll I did want is no longer available and extremely difficult to get secondhand.

Did I get it right? Did I answer with what you were trying to find out?

14. From pictures before I bought him, I thought he might be something quite different than what he is. His eyes and lips give off a sweet vibe, without being childlike (oddly mature in attitude, if not age, as he turned out younger than I thought). I could tell right away his character was something quiet and lovable. And the more I think about it, the more it seems so. I hadn't pre-assigned his personality, so it was no worries what his personality came out as. I love how it came out, though :3

15. FF-- I had no idea what kind of personality my boy would have at first. Either of them!
      I pulled my first boy from the box so excited and just fawning over him again and again. And for MONTHS I carried him around eeeeeeeverywhere. School, friends houses, even work once or twice. Showing him off and letting people know how awesome he was and somewhere in all of the excitement... he turned into a real spoiled little poo. XD If other dolls are getting attention he gets moody I guess? But he's also shy...

I could be holding him and my other boy Gabriel and if Gabe starts getting attention and not my first boy... well.. next time you look he'll be leaned in, head facing away and just looking so pouty. XD I'm always telling him to "don't be jealous I love you both!". But he just fights me after haha!

Gabe though doesn't mind at all. He's just a sweetie, always willing to let others handle him or to say hi. I dunno, he just behaves so well and waits his turn so nicely. Too much attention though and no matter what his hands just will NOT stay out of his face! Every time I look to him he'll be hiding haha.

I don't know, my boys are my boys and theres no real way to define them. I guess my first boy is a spoiled child, having all the attention for almost 2 years! And Gabe is just a real cutie always wanting to meet people and make friends--however shy he can be haha. I never tried to impose anything... if I had tried it failed and they are who they are. XD

16. Somehow it seems like nearly every doll that comes into my care ends up with a slightly sad, yet gentle vibe. Perhaps it is my inner energy projected onto my dolls, but I've had circumstances where I've had the same doll as two other friends, and one was instantly quirky and loud-seeming, one was regal and elegant, and mine was so passive and quiet. This was verbalized amongst us, too. Perhaps it is too new age-y to suggest a personal energy can be applied to resins, but it sorta seems like it happens with my collection. Even my Pippitan, who is a pretty humorous sculpt, has started to look a bit sedate over time (though I don't mean for that to sound as bad as it seems, she's still a favorite doll who amuses me greatly).

17. I really think we tend to project a bit of ourselves into our dolls, and that is why they are so important to us...

My first doll wasn't an impulse buy, I wanted him for YEARS - but i had no clue who he would be.
      I thought he would be a mature, quiet type of character, but when I opened up his box... nada.
      He was very shy and needy all at once. Maybe because I needed him... It didn't help that my only outfit for him was a cutesy bear outfit, haha. But after a month or so I grew tired of this cute look, I really did want a mature character (which is hard with a male bluefairy. XD) so I had his faceup redone, with serious eyebrows and what not... Well, now we've compromised, I always feel guilty when I don't handle him for a while and so I get this neglected puppy feeling from him - but he's definitely more independent and standoffish than he once was.

Anyways, in short, I think they mirror our own emotions, and perhaps that bit of expression and detail magnifies it in just the right way to make it real. :3 Whether or not it's imagined, I still love him.

18. When I was chosing my first doll, all I had in mind was that I wanted it to be a girl, and 1/6. I went directly to browse Volks's website in search of one I liked. Curiously, I found a head that looked almost exactly as the character I had in mind, so it wasn't difficult. For the rest... Well, I mainly choose the doll before noticing I don't have a character for them, so I quickly create a story for them. For me, it's more a matter of "Gorgeous! Me want one...". Though I have several sculpts in mind for pre-made characters. A certain Souldoll girl resembles quite closely the main character of one of my fantasy novels, and BBB/RS's Mei another one.

As for the "fingerprint"... I think it's us playing with them who gives them that. Despite the zillion similar sculpts out there, we give them a special feeling that makes the dolls ours.

19. Fingerprint.. i guess it works for all kinds of BJD regards of height..

Rini was my first.. was looking up on the net, suddenly this idea just pops in.. so i just bought the parts, drew her a face *i just drew with what suits her* and there she is.. wanted her to be a cute little happy pixie, but it turns out. She was a little shy yet willing to open up if she wants to, but from time to time.. her look kinda changed into like she is moody, happy or even dreamy.*Maybe thats just me but well...how demanding can she get? (^__^)*

After taking some photos of her * the first few times*..she looked really really sad, showing me the feeling of.. " I am in need of some friends." or " I am really lonely can you play with me?"

and there was where Sani came. Remi and Semi after that.

Sani was a kinda more concern about things around him.
      Remi is shy and quiet,yet playful.
      Semi is active,playful and pesky.

20. My mom and me label Lucifer, my DZ-Mo, as a smirky. Whenever we compliment him he just smirks.
      When I opened him for the first time and ripped off all the bubble wrap, my mom said he was a big boy (ya know down there), and he smirked for the first time at us like we were idiots.