1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Your doll's "Fingerprint"?

Mar 28, 2009

1. I like this thread!!
      before I got my girl, I had an OB Henzel head and was planning on switching the chest piece, making my boy. But oh man, when i put Rylai's head (OB Gretel) on the body just to check it out, it was clear that it was HERS. She is very... adamant. She was supposed to be brunette or redheaded, but instead is blonde, she also stole my Henzel's grey eyes.
      When she was a blank head even, I knew she was pushy and willful, but super sweet. As soon as her face-up was finished and I plunked her head on, I was sold. She's amazing, even though she isn't what I first imagined. She's just... Rylai. :D

2. When I first got my Bory, I was shocked at how... confused he looked. Like, very timid and afraid, despite Bory usually (with the company faceup) looking rather annoyed. This confused look really matched my character Nika well! ^_^ And no matter what face-up I've given him, that look is always there. I've tried to change it by giving him different face-ups, but it never changes.

The way he poses as well is very cute. His leg always turns in, making him a little bit pigon toed, and his arms always want to cross his body, like he's feeling insecure. ^_^

My boy Tarrant has the feel of being lazy. I have to fight to get him to do anything, and though he'll pose beautifuly, I have to go half crazy first before he'd do it. Like he's purposfully trying to make me mad and then suddenly doing what I want. Like an annoying little kid, you know? XD

3. This is actually a very interesting topic. I can't place my finger on it, but if one of my dolls was ever stolen or ruined beyond recognition in any way, I wouldn't get another of the same sculpt. I guess it just wouldn't feel like the same doll to me. :/
      Besides, I've put quite a bit of effort into most of my dolls, and I couldn't duplicate it easily and happily.

4. I know my first doll, Ophelia, like the back of my hand. Its obvious from the second you see her, that she's got a childish innocence about her. A friend in my group has a doll of the same mold named Nani, who is 2 years 'younger' (Ophie was made in 2009, Nani was made in 2011). And nani looks MUCH more naughty and mischievous then Ophie. It doesn't matter that they are technically the same doll. They are worlds different.

5. Aiden I remember him being surprisingly smilely and happy looking for such a grumpy sculpt. I worked perfectly with his character and he has been a more than perfect fit for his character. My next doll was the one who just didn't fit for who I wanted. When I first got him he seemed fierce and arogant, but as I spent more time with he I saw he had an adorable side that just wasn't cutting it for the character. I changed his character to something that suited him better and I'm much happier.

6. Mine looked like a character I was trying to flesh out--the mold's DZ's Demi. Was totally drawn in by her tiny nose and that little sneaky smile of hers (and that round face!) She's still got the factory face up, but I'm really excited to do my own, to really make her "mine." (:

7. Because I want the doll to shell a pre-existing character not created by me, I hope he really works out, or at least, his quirks don't clash with his character. Reading about all this stuff is why I decided to buy the two dolls I couldn't decide between for him in case one of them doesn't work out. (And I plan to sell the other one.) If it's something wrong about the face (or face up) it's something I can change by repainting him or modding him (he might need a more asshole-ish smirk). At the moment, the one I have refuses to sit modestly even though he's strung just about right. :sweat At least...it kind of works for him.

8. So what is it about your doll that you think defines its "fingerprint"?

I'm talking about something deeper than faceups, clothes, or wigs. I'm talking about that first impression, that first smile, smirk, or frown. How did your doll identify itself?

For me it was the sweetness of Chaeri's face. (I mean, seriously, look at my icon, how can you NOT love that face?) Neither aloof and remote nor super-sappy grinny-grin, with the most expressive eyes I have ever seen on a doll.

For those of you who bought your doll with the idea of it personifying a character of yours, what drew you to it?

When I first got Chaeri, I didn't know she was actually going to be Chaeri. I was attracted both to the look of the doll and the customization aspects--being able to change hair and eyes as easily (well, almost, in the case of the eyes) as I could her clothing. Funny thing is, now I never change out her eyes and, although she has a LOT of wigs, the ones she wears the most are pink or pink-streaked.

If you brought it home with every intention of it being your character and it clearly had other plans, how did the new character develop?

I didn't have this problem with Chaeri, although it has happened to me in the past with other dolls. Megumi, my first Asian jointed doll, chose her own character and personality and I didn't have much say in it.

If a doll you thought would be perfect "rejected" the identity you tried to give it, how did this hinder/help/change the bonding process?

I've never had a doll reject outright the character I tried to shell her/him with, although sometimes the character developed in a different direction than I expected.

9. Luken's quite - determined about his wig. Meaning that the one he came with suits him better than any other I've tried, so far, and I'm starting to dread the day when I will HAVE to find him a new one cos the old one's getting - well, too old. He also looks best wearing a certain kind of clothes (in fact, there's one set of clothes that's his "favourite" ...). Luckily, the character he represents wasn't really all that fleshed-out to begin with, so I could just go along with it. :D

Morgan, on the other hand, is quite flexible. Whatever wig or eyes you give him, he looks dashing all the same. Same with clothes. Basically, you can turn him into every kind of character, from Hippie to Pirate. *gg*

10. this is definitely a fantastic thread idea...

I started this hobby with a Luts KD Ani. Even before I decided she was the one for me, I had fallen hard for the Lishe. It took a long time, months, of saving, and such, for me to change my mind. Eventually though, I brought my dear girl home. The company did a great job on her faceup. She stuck with her brown eyes, but her hair (she was going to be my wig whore) decided to be blonde. I had wanted her default color to be brown, sort of like my own. She wouldn't have it. I had a basic character in mind, but the rest developed as we bonded. She even inspired details about her past and history, which makes knowing all aobut her character even more fun...course now I've been forced to find and order her girlfriend... After a bit, she was in dire need of a new faceup and after I got her back, well, she wasn't my Zoe any more. She has since been sold and redolled as a MNF Miyu, and she's back to her old self. It's so odd how a personality can shift between dolls like that. The same thing has happened with my other character, Kaname. He was a MNF Shiwoo, and now he's a MNF Breakaway.

I have a boy whom my friend is keeping for me right now(money issues), but once I saw his pouty face on the Bluefairy site, I jsut knew. When he got home and I first glimpsed that grumpy face, I knew I had my surly prince. He is perpetually angry, hates the world, and can't stand to be around anyone. He doesn't even like me! Hahaha...makes it hard though, because I adore him. I have been without him for about a year now, and I am really feeling it...which is a new experience.

I have had the unfortunate experience of bringing a doll home and totally not bonding with him. This was the case for my Cherishdoll Favian. Loved him on the site, loved him when I opened him, but after a few weeks, he just never really settled. I decided the size was too tall for the character, and that I didn't like the sculpt as much as I thought, enough even to give him a different name or character. Off he went! i still haven't replaced him, but maybe in time, I'll get that particular boy again.

11. Hey I must say I really like this topic!!This is really way different from the rest of the topics that I've seen ^0^Now I hadn't really planned anything when I got my first doll,and so are the incoming crews..
      I agree with what you mentioned :D!The first impression^__^!
      That doesn't apply to dolls only ;D Humans,too!
      Since I decided to give everyone of them a character,I will wait till I opened their box and identify their unique personality by their first impression XDD!
      However,I do have the tendency to lean towards more comical character O: Instead of giving them an angsty one I would be giving something,that is more on the brighter side^0^!(Life is already hard enough lol,since this is going to be something which I am going to enjoy,of course,make it something light and fun ^__^.....I came to realise this when I checked the profile after my 5th boy came^^""")
      Even if my boy has a pretty dark face up...I just,cannot find the trace of darkness...(I tried) ...and he will end up to be someone,probably a little on the loner side but then getting dragged into the crew in a comedy way,by the rest of them!I tried planning for once but it didn't really work out as how I want...So
      I decided to let them be ^_~They will find a way into the family !That plan was an incredible failure LOL.
      That was my DOD Code 02...I thought this boy would be a really cool guy!Yet I was so shocked when he joined in....OTL...
      He isn't cool,no he is cool but mellow will be a more suitable description XD..So I have to figure out a more suitable character for him...
      My problem I am facing is not about the boy not being able to bond,but it's about me myself being pretty indecisive^^"""""I have tons of ideas about the character and I will start writing it out on a piece of paper.....but sometimes there MIGHT be details overload or,even contradicting points OTL....I just cannot make up my mind of who he should be...
      This hobby is really a love<3..I like how different the boys can be......Way better than a Barbie could do.

12. When I got my Dorian I had characteristics in mind, and while he had them, he also had traits I never could have expected. He was meant to be arrogant and sadistic, but I was amazed at how sensitive he turned out to be. During certain moments he looks like hes about to cry, and he can also get the most subtle sweet smile. Also.... I never, ever, expected him to be a ballerina. First week I got him I was posing him and everything about him said he was a ballerina. I figured it was just the body but when my friend got her own doll from the same company it just wasn't the same. After a while I figured it was just me seeing things, but I was playing with him and he started doing it again. I'm now looking into buying him a sort of ballerina style dress ^_^