1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Your Doll's Identity - Physical or Mental?

Apr 15, 2011

1. If your doll got badly damaged to the point where it can't be fixed, would you replace it with another one that is the same, or consider it... "dead"?

I would obviously replace it for a new one. I find it pointless not to! A doll cannot dead, nor does a character unless I 'kill' it in the story.

If you did replace it, would it be the "same" one as before with the same personality and background story?

Yes, of course. It does happen too when you replace a doll for another for the same character -I mean, if you switch a character in doll A to doll B, the character is still the same.

What if you weren't able to get the exact mold anymore and had to get another kind?

I don't think this would happen as there's the second hand market place in case the original shop doesn't sell the doll anymore.

2. I hadn't really given this notion any thought before and it took me a bit of considering... Ultimately, I think I am with ninive. I don't start with characters for whom I'm finding a body. I start with a doll I enjoy enough to buy, and the character and story evolves from the individual doll. To be honest, I had never even planned to give my dolls characters or story; that came later, growing from the dolls themselves.

As such, I suspect that if a doll was irreparably damaged, the character would likely be "dead" to me. If I loved the doll and character enough, and if I was able to find and afford an exact copy, I might buy it and try making it into the same character, but I don't know how well it would work for me. I would probably have enough misgivings that I would end up creating a new character for the replacement doll. There's even a chance I might not buy a replacement at all.

I most definitely cannot see myself putting the same character into an entirely different doll unless it was meant to be a reincarnation or transformation, as SoulAnimal suggested -- though I don't even see myself going that route, at this point. (I suppose that is an advantage to having a lot of fantasy dolls; there might be ways of working around those issues.)

My dolls' identities are obviously mental in that they're all in my head, but for me, they are inextricably linked to the physical form.

3. It's strange, certain dolls I could probably replace easy enough and not be to upset (Don't get me wrong, I'd be devastated, but I would still be able to consider it them) but there are a few I don't think I could ever do that with.

But I don't think I would. I'm in the school of thought that it's almost disrespectful to do that, just go out and replace them like it didn't matter in the first place. (Probably due to a loving parent buying replacement pets which has soured me to the idea) For me the character's aren't just their physical bodies, if I ever chose to age them or change the bodies than I would have no problem doing that, but something about them actually getting broken just seems like an end to me. To pretend that it's the same character when I never wanted to change them - even if in the same body - would just be a lie. But I think that's because I see the doll's being as part of whatever body they were in at the time, and it breaking means it's over. I'm not entirely sure how to explain it actually.

I guess it's both, the doll's character is mental, I can change the bodies as long as I want to do so and have reason to do so, but I also feel that they are whatever body they happen to have, and if it were to break and I had no plans to do anything else, then I'd probably be getting Jazz CD out and planning the dollie funeral :S

4. Mine are all charater. If the doll broke I would replace it, obviously if I couldn't get the same one I'd have to get a different type but the character would stay the same.
      Having said that I'd be crushed if one of my dolls broke and even more crushed if I couldn't replace it. I have 4 custom face ups and 2 discontinued dolls, 80% of my dolls are irreplacable for one reason or another. :/

5. If your doll got badly damaged to the point where it can't be fixed, would you replace it with another one that is the same, or consider it... "dead"?
      For most of my dolls, I would probably replace them. However, there are a few I would consider "dead." I bought my Heliot just because I thought he was pretty. He was not a character until after I got the doll, and if the doll was destroyed, Yav would be dead to me. E.Z., my green Lishe, would be dead, too. Most of my dolls are based on much older characters, and the doll is not THE character... just a representation like a drawing. The character would not be dead because of a destroyed doll anymore than they would be dead because of a ruined drawing. The exception is my Fox, who for some reason has become extremely tied to his doll representation for me. I may not actually kill him if the doll were destroyed, but if the doll was damaged, I would fit it into his story.

If you did replace it, would it be the "same" one as before with the same personality and background story? Yes, except for Heliot. I would probably get another one, but it probably would not be Yav.

What if you weren't able to get the exact mold anymore and had to get another kind?
      with some I would get a different mold, but with others I would rather never have them as a doll again than use a different mold to represent them.

Is your doll's identity a mental thing, or based off of its physical characteristics?
      It's all mental except for the cases of Yav and E.Z., and in Fox, my Husky's case, it has become both. His character is ever growing, and the doll and what happens to the doll has become part of that growth.

6. I suspect a lot of people will have a reaction to this similar to that of having a doll's well-worn faceup redone. There is no way to have them look exactly the way they did before, but will you like the new version? You might even like it better! Similarly, will you like the new doll if you do replace it? Also, people do change sculpts all the time to go up or down in size, to give it a better body, and so on. Picking up a replacement form of any given doll is never quite identical, as many companies do change the design of the bodies, the default faceup details vary, the color varies with some companies. Also, Minimee custom heads are not so easily picked up again, and there are odd or uncommon dolls which are just not replaceable.

7. If your doll got badly damaged to the point where it can't be fixed, would you replace it with another one that is the same, or consider it... "dead"?
      I'd consider it 'dead' myself. The character would live on, but it wouldn't be the same person, y'know? Even though it's my mental projection of the character onto her, I would know that s/he/it is simply Doll v2, and that would change the way I look at them.

If you did replace it, would it be the "same" one as before with the same personality and background story?
      Yeah, same personality, same story. But maybe something would be slightly different. Perhaps morph into a different direction than previously thought, as I wouldn't be mentally locked into the same personality.

Depends how fixated I was on the doll :lol: And considering me, I'd probably would be, and so would be sliiiightly upset that I couldn't recreate them again almost perfectly :XD: I may wait until it pops up the marketplace, or never shell the doll again. I know it's completely opposite to the above answers, but having a physical difference to the doll as opposed to just my mental difference is too much for me!

Is your doll's identity a mental thing, or based off of its physical characteristics?
      At the beginning, it's a mental thing, but once I'm used to the doll, the identity starts becoming more physically based. Most of the time, I'm a lazy bum, so I have a general gist before doll arrival and hope it develops when they arrive :XD:

8. If your doll got badly damaged to the point where it can't be fixed, would you replace it with another one that is the same, or consider it... "dead"?

I would replace it. I am not a writer, so the background stories I have for my dolls are very basic and limited. I fall in love with a doll, buy it, then make up some simple story to keep things interesting for myself. I'd get exactly the same doll as a replacement because I would want the sculpt back in my collection.

Yes, it would be absolutely the same. I recently replaced one of my dolls with an updated version (same sculpt, updated body). Because the newer version has bigger chest, I just updated the doll's story by making her a bit older, otherwise, it remained the exact same character.

In that case, the new doll would have a different story. I imagine that for those who get dolls to fit specific characters, the answer to this question will be different.

I suppose in my case, the doll's identity is based off of its physical characteristics, as I wouldn't be able to "transfer" a given doll's biography to a doll with a different sculpt - it just wouldn't be the same anymore.

9. Woah good question, never thought about that before since i have never lost, sold or broken any of my girlies.

If your doll got badly damaged to the point where it can't be fixed, would you replace it with another one that is the same, or consider it... "dead"?
      I don't think i could replace it. I might tape it up and keep it broken because I am sentimental that way, which is probably why I would consider it dead rather then replace it. It would be difficult to replace it because i think in the back of my head all the little quirks (like that tiny little bit of extra resin inside the head, or the way the eyes have to be always adjusted because they don't quite fit, or loose joints etc) give the doll personality in my eyes. The perfections can be easily replicated but the imperfections are never quite the same.

If I did choose to replace the doll, I would probably give it the same name and personality and probably use the replacing as an excuse to invent a new back story. Or include the fact that they have been 'brought back from the grave' as part of the story. After all why not own that fact? :D

Definitely wouldn't be the same. I find that the mold influences what kind of character the doll has massively. I different doll means a different personality. It just wouldn't be the same if the doll had say closed eyes or sleepy looking eyes.

It's a little bit of both. I think you can't separate the two because the physical informs the mental and vice-versa. For example a faceup could completely change the look of the doll so that the personality, or character, you have given the doll doesn't fit so much anymore.

10. If your doll got badly damaged to the point where it can't be fixed, would you replace it with another one that is the same, or consider it... "dead"?
      I'd be devastated and very sad, yes. However I wouldn't consider the character dead because that is totally in my mind and not based on the doll. In fact I had the whole story made up and it was just a matter of finding a doll I wanted (price-wise, aesthetically, and so on).

If you did replace it, would it be the "same" one as before with the same personality and background story? Probably, for the same reason as above. It might take a while to feel the same way or have the same investment in the doll again though.

That would really stink because I really like the doll but at the same time, oh well. Stuff happens and sometimes you have to move on.

Like I said earlier, totally in my mind. The doll is a prop to support the story/character.

11. Hmm I don't know, o think if one of my dolls was badly damaged id do anything to get it back to normal. I wouldn't mind buying a new body but I don't know a new hear for the same doll, even if it was the same mould, it wouldn't feel the same to me.

12. If your doll got badly damaged to the point where it can't be fixed, would you replace it with another one that is the same, or consider it... "dead"?

I would try to replace it.

If you did replace it, would it be the "same" one as before with the same personality and background story? Yes, all of my dolls are characters dear to me so the doll would be a new representation of the same person to me.

I would try to get one as close to the original as possible, but I think that as long as it had the same feel for me that I would be ok with a different sculpt.

For me it comes from the character that lives in that doll. Somewhat physical in that it meets the appearance of the character i had in mind, however it is mostly caught up in all the bits and pieces of the characters personality. Appearance is just part of it.

13. If your doll got badly damaged to the point where it can't be fixed, would you replace it with another one that is the same, or consider it... "dead"?

I would prob consider him "dead", since I don't have planned characters for the dolls I'm waiting. When searching for my first dolls I was just simply looking for interesting molds that spoke to me.

If I couldn't let go of the doll and ended up replacing him, it still wouldn't be the same doll. Maybe his twin brother or something, but no the same one.

Then he'd be a completely different doll, again.

I fell for the molds and am currently looking forward to finding out what kind of boys they are. :) They'll create their personalities and background stories as I get to know them. So to me, my doll's personality is a physical one for starters, but not limited to that.

14. If your doll got badly damaged to the point where it can't be fixed, would you replace it with another one that is the same, or consider it... "dead"?

Depends. I'd probably replace Faye with the same mold if I can could. If not then she's pretty much 'dead'.

Same mold, same personality, yes. She doesn't really have a background story but she has a heck of a personality and that would probably stay.

Like I said with the first question, she'd probably be 'dead'. Maybe there's a similar enough mold I could get, but I haven't really found one that would work as a Faye Mk. II yet.

Faye was originally meant to be the shell for an RP character but when I got her she became her own thing. I do think the physical characteristics influences a doll's personality for me, so it definitely is something that depends on the mold.

15. My dolls all have personalities, relationships, and backstories, but those things are not inherent to the dolls themselves. My dolls are meant to be 3D, as-close-as-I-can-get-them resin representations of fictional characters, mostly of my own creation (as my collection has grown, I've added a few fan-characters as well). Additionally, I do not talk to the dolls as if their personality were real. That is, I talk to them the same way I might talk to another inanimate object ("Don't fall down!" and "Stay there!" and "Why won't you cooperate, you little %^$@!!?!?"). I do not carry on conversations with them, nor do I have any desire to do so.

If your doll got badly damaged to the point where it can't be fixed, would you replace it with another one that is the same, or consider it "dead?" If you did replace it, would it be the "same" one as before with the same personality and background story?
      I would replace it, without hesitation, and it would still represent the same character. However, some physical changes (different eyes/wigs/clothing/faceups/etc) might come to have an influence on the character, because the relationship between the dolls and the fictional characters they represent is not entirely one-way.

I would potentially be upset, but it would not be the end of the world. I have 'upgraded' my dolls from one mold to another before, and may still do so with some of them in the future. This is because the mold that is the most accurate representation of my character available on the market and this point may not be the same in the future, as new dolls come out or others are discontinued. While I consider their current molds the best representations of them available at this time, if I am in a situation in the future where circumstances necessitate replacing them, and these molds are no longer available, then obviously I will be forced to find others. However, I would probably stalk the second-hand market for the original molds, possibly into perpetuity.

Primarily mental, but again, this is not a one-way street. My mental landscape is constantly influenced by my experiences and the things around me, and in the case of the characters, that includes the dolls that are meant to represent them.

16. Id replace it. Even though I created my characters AFTER I bought each doll - because to me the doll is just a representation of my character.

17. I do kinda' see my dolls as being real though I see them as dolls as well, if that makes any sense. If one of mine got broken beyond repair, I wouldn't think her dead but just as she is, broken. I'd probably get her the same body again and continue with her name, personality, etc. Though if her whole self got destroyed including her head... Hmm... Yea I think I'd keep her the same.

18. If your doll got badly damaged to the point where it can't be fixed, would you replace it with another one that is the same, or consider it... "dead"?
      I would replace it with another one. The character still lives in my head, so I'd just want to reshell it (I'd be ticked off, though. My doll was so pricy, and a limited Dx)

Yes.

I'd be ticked off, but probably try to get a doll that was similar enough to work... or I'd just get a doll based on a different character instead.

And that leads to my final question:

I would say it's based off her physical characteristics. I created her character based on the doll, rather than the other way around. However, my next doll is going to be based on a character I already have in my head, so that would be the physical characteristics being based off the mental idea I have of him.

19. If your doll got badly damaged to the point where it can't be fixed, would you replace it with another one that is the same, or consider it... "dead"?

To answer all of the above:
      I already have a duplicate of my favorite sculpt in the rare event that something does happen. The company stopped producing her because she didn't sell enough so I obtained a back-up! They have different faceups, my first one has the default, which I love. The second one is a combination of a former owner's faceup and my alterations to it, which I also love. They weren't meant to be two dolls, I was to have one doll (character) and the back-up was to be kept safe. Instead, I have two dolls - the original is the character, the extra is the "imposter." Funny enough, even though I tried to give her her own name and make her the former version of my main character (prior to her "changing" in accordance to the story), I call her Imposter Perdita. I thoroughly enjoy having the two of them!

They were all made up in my mind - based on physical features of dolls I never bought. LOL Back when I was researching dolls and keeping tabs on all the company's new releases, etc. Quite a few of them helped me develop characters in my mind to add to my story BUT their sculpts weren't quite right, so I'd continue to seek out those "perfect" choices to fill the story.

20. If your doll got badly damaged to the point where it can't be fixed, would you replace it with another one that is the same, or consider it... "dead"?
      Dead. The only part I think is important to my dolls is the head because that's where I think their "soul" lies for me. I know it's odd to think dolls have souls, but I believe each doll has a special soul that is unique. If either of my dolls were damaged, I would definitely replace them, but not with the same sculpts or if I buy the same sculpts I'd make a different faceup. There's no doubt in my mind I'd replace my dolls (except for my Crobi Maru, he was an event only doll), but I'd never reuse the name of my "dead" dolls.

Not at all. It'd be a completely different doll with a different personality and background.

This would probably be my first option. I don't think I'd get the same mold. The thing is, there are other dolls I like (I debated over getting more dolls). The only thing stopping me was space to hold all the dolls I wanted. Think about it as a "waiting list". If something happened to one doll, I'd quickly replace it with my 2nd choice doll for that size.

Physical characteristics and mental, but mostly physical. I told myself I would not name my dolls until they were in my hands and I found it to work quite well. My dolls are actually named after people I know/characters I have, but have their own characteristics (much like people name their children after their grandparents or parents).

I'm one of the people who believe they can see their doll's personality in their face and eyes. I do talk to my dolls and I believe I can tell if they're confused, angry (Artimis is always angry at me), or any other emotion. I know my dolls are really just dolls, but I also see them as companions too.