1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Your doll's wardrobe: Empty or Bursting?

Jan 31, 2011

1. I've been wondering lately, how many people have set outfits for a doll and who buy and buy and buy *_*

My questions really, are:

Do you get one default outfit for your doll and then move on to the next or do you buy several different outfits for your dolls?

(If you only have one) do your dolls ever feel boring? Do you lose interest in them because you don't spoil or customise them further with clothing?

(If you have many) how many per doll? Are you biased towards one particular outfit or do you change them regularly? When do you have too many clothes?

Do you buy or not-buy intentionally?

I've read the threads about where people store their clothes and people that dress dolls in pyjamas for bed or in different clothes depending on the season and I find it really interesting. I think I'm so addicted to buying dolls that I really struggle buying other things for the ones I have. I realised that I find it much more fun to change outfits when I like, but after finding one outfit that I love, I find it so difficult to find another I like as much!! Does anyone else feel like this?

2. Do you get one default outfit for your doll and then move on to the next or do you buy several different outfits for your dolls?
      I have items that get shared, and items specific to certain dolls. As I have several sizes of doll, this means I have lots of clothes. And I did a weeding-out a few months ago, too :sweat.

(If you only have one) do your dolls ever feel boring? Do you lose interest in them because you don't spoil or customise them further with clothing?
      In the cases where I have only one or a couple of outfits for a specific doll, I get frustrated with that. I do like to change their outfits now and again because I get bored easily.

(If you have many) how many per doll? Are you biased towards one particular outfit or do you change them regularly? When do you have too many clothes?
      I don't know how many I have per doll, as it varies. I have certain outfits that I especially like for a certain doll, that are really in character, but even so I like to change them around. I think I may have too many clothes now! And yet I still feel I'm missing many crucial pieces.

I'm trying to be more systematic about it. I used to buy for low price and versatility, or on impulse. I'd now rather have fewer pieces that are better quality and really in character. So both buying and intentional not-buying are going on :).

3. Do you get one default outfit for your doll and then move on to the next or do you buy several different outfits for your dolls?
      All my dolls have one default outfit pretty much (except for one). Sometimes I get them a new better outfit and sell the old one (or try to at least xD ).

Sometimes I get bored, but mainly because I feel their outfit doesn't suit them anymore. This doesn't happen that often tho and it depends on the doll. Some dolls just hold on to an outfit with dear life and others don't know how fast they can get out of one.

I think you have too many clothes if you forget you own a certain thing, which is my case. Like I said before, I 'replace' outfits rather than add to the closet, but alot of old outfits just somehow never make it out of there. And I do sometimes find something I had forgotten I'd had.

Do you buy or not-buy intentionally
      If I feel the outfit still suits my girl I won't buy anything new, unless I find something that just screams at me xD

I noticed I find it difficult to have multiple outfits for one doll. I have 6 dolls and one on the way, and if one doll has 6 outfits, and another only has one, I feel bad. I feel as if I'm not enjoying that certain doll as much as the first. I also am not able to 'equally' love outfits. A doll can have a basic outfit and a sleep outfit, but I can't like them both as much. I will like one more than the other and the doll will end up in the one I like better and then we're back to start xD

4. Do you get one default outfit for your doll and then move on to the next or do you buy several different outfits for your dolls?

I like to be able to change their clothes, but the order I do things in depends. Sometimes I'll make sure that everybody has something to wear and then move on to another doll, other times I'll go through a spell where I just buy clothes.

I don't tend to just have one outfit per doll, but I have some that don't change as often -- a few fan dolls that really don't have a variety. I don't find them boring, I do other stuff with them. Plus, since I have some dolls that are real clothes horses, I can play dress up with them.

I usually have clumps of dolls that have similar tastes and share clothing. I also like to have separates that can be mixed and matched into several different outfit combos, so I can't really give a number. I change the girls fairly regularly. I'll clean out the dolly closets when I feel like I have stuff that isn't the quality or style that I really want, and can replace those items with new and better pieces. So far I have not gotten to the point where I feel like I have overall too many clothes.

I usually have a plan in mind when I go clothes shopping -- I know what I want and need for various individuals. What order I do things in depends on who I'm in the mood to work on and how hard certain items are to get.

5. Do you get one default outfit for your doll and then move on to the next or do you buy several different outfits for your dolls?
      My dolls generally don't share clothes (I have the all the clothing divided into drawers, and each drawer is labeled with the name of the doll those articles of clothing "belong" to), but neither do they just stay in one outfit all the time.

Some of my dolls are easier to find clothing for than others, and so those dolls tend to have more clothing. But all of my dolls have several outfits, and many of them have dozens. Their clothing would change much more often if I had the patience to wrestle with it (and them) more frequently. I don't have "too many" articles of doll clothing, so I can't answer the last part of this question.

I have never accidentally ordered an outfit. :?

6. Do you get one default outfit for your doll and then move on to the next or do you buy several different outfits for your dolls?
      Jasper and Jehn definitely don't have one set outfit! Scout doesn't really but she doesn't have many clothes yet either... She has at least two day-to-day outfits though and I try to find anything I can for her to wear so she's more of a "several different outfits" doll. Quinn, however, seems to only want to wear one set outfit. (He used to have only one outfit before I bought him a Dollheart outfit. Now all he wears is the Dollheart outfit. -shrugs-)

Actually, I don't mind that Quinn only has the one outfit. It's a really nice outfit and looks good on him so I have no complaints! He doesn't bore me either (possibly because I have other dolls to dress up) but also because it's just in his character to stick to his one suit. xD

For my other dolls, I don't really have any "set" outfits. Jehn and Jasper have a small suitcase full of stuff (they share it with the others but most of the things inside belong to them) so I just mix-and-match from there. I change them pretty much every time I take them out for photos. I'd say I have too many clothes when I no longer have any room for them. xP

Uh... I'm not really much of a buyer actually. I tend to wait ages before actually buying anything. If I ever see a garment for one of my dolls that I'd like, I add it to my bookmarks and then I'll maybe buy it months later.

7. Do you get one default outfit for your doll and then move on to the next or do you buy several different outfits for your dolls?

My dolls have favourite clothes or outfits, but I have several shelves of stacked boxes crammed with clothes for them (boxed by doll size and gender), so they have a choice of what to wear and I change them for meets and occasions or just when I'm playing with them.

My girls have more outfits and clothes generally than my boys, mainly because there are such a range and variety of girl styles. Whereas for boys there's precious little choice in the styles I like - especially boy outfits that I like enough to put my boys in in the right sizes with all he details right (I refuse to spend a fortune on an outfit, that has parts I don't like or would need to change to make them right - If I'm spending that much money, the outfit needs to be right, not just mostly-right).

Plus, I prefer making girls clothes to boys clothes so my boys are neglected in that department too.

I buy intentionally, but too randomly - I realized when I tried to dress all of my gang in their "best" for an end-of year group photo' that I was struggling to find entire outfits and shoes to dress them all in their best at the same time... and the same would go for dressing them casually, especially the boys. Not enough jeans to go around, not enough casual shoes in the right sizes... not enough socks even.

I have too much trouble remembering what I need in which size for which doll so have made a resolution to take an inventory and create a minimum kit requirement checklist for each doll, so they will each have a minimum of one full good outfit and one full casual outfit before I spend any more money on more dolls.

Teddy

8. Do you get one default outfit for your doll and then move on to the next or do you buy several different outfits for your dolls?
      I create my doll characters specifically to be able to wear multiple outfits. It's part of the fun for me...the idea of each of them having their own specific style to create clothing for. It's part of my enjoyment of the hobby...part of the ongoing creative challenge for me. My resin crew has a limited number (basically as many unique display areas as I can fit into my home...one for each doll.) Their outfits can be stored safely away, so there's no limit to my creativity there. I can sew on forever if my heart desires!

Each outfit adds to the depth of my dolls' individual characters, so there is no limit. I'll never have too many as long as I'm enjoying the hobby.

Other than shoes, I seldom buy at all because I can sew or get involved in a swap for something new at anytime. But when I'm making something new, it always has a deliberate intent and purpose and is never un-intentional.

9. Do you get one default outfit for your doll and then move on to the next or do you buy several different outfits for your dolls?

Well, right now I only have one doll, and she has several different outfits. But I am planning on getting others with the same body. While to some extent they will share, they'll also probably need different wardrobes, as they do have different styles.

I'm not exactly sure how many outfits my girl has (which is probably a bad sign), but I've sewn her two fairly nice outfits, as well as a couple really sloppy pieces, and she has about four that are storebought. I do tend to be a little biased towards my nice sewn ones, so she's mostly in either her school uniform or Star Trek uniform. But I do get bored with them sometimes, since they're kinda specific, so I'll put her in her more general clothes then. If she gets a new outfit, she tends to stay in that for a long time.

Well, I'm very cheap, so I tend to either buy mass-produced doll clothing (there's one brand whose clothes my girl can wear) or sew my own. :sweat I think I'd only really buy her clothes online if there was a very specific or complicated outfit I wanted.

10. Do you get one default outfit for your doll and then move on to the next or do you buy several different outfits for your dolls? I was just talking to a friend today about a pricey new dressed limited doll, that I would hate committing so much money to one set look as I enjoy changing what my dolls are wearing.

I enjoy looking at my dolls all the time, & every month or two I enjoy changing their look. Not because I find them boring but because I really find the creative surprise of changing their look a big part of my "play".

My outfits are split up only as SD, MSD & Male & female. Some of my dolls seem to prefer either a more modern or historical or fantasy style, but they've all been known to try something different. Shall even borrowed a sweater from the boys' pile when it got cold. But there's no way the boys are going to try on any of the girls' clothes, besides they won't fit! Every so often I notice my clothes bin is getting pretty full & have pulled out a few things to sell or give away but the last time I tried to do this, everything that's left I really like or have an attachment to.

Since I can sew, it has to be a really striking outfit or else a price that's better than the time I'd take making it. Wigs & shoes are my shopping downfall.

11. Do you get one default outfit for your doll and then move on to the next or do you buy several different outfits for your dolls?
      Most all my dolls have 1 outfit, there are a few dolls that multiple outfits.

The doll's personality is what makes the doll interesting, not the clothes. It's just in the personality of one of my dolls to have lots of clothes. (Just as one has a bunch of purses but the other dolls borrow them).

Most dolls have 1 outfit. I have a few outfits that I just bought because they are pretty and I'll put various dolls in the outfits, or the outfit will look soo good on a doll it becomes sort of attached to them. But mostly dolls stick to their one outfit. However i do have a drawer of clothing and they will get changed into the 'general clothing', but usually go back to 'their outfit' after some amount of time. I don't know if there is a thing as 'to much clothes'.

Due to the 'theme' of my collection there is alot of stuff I can avoid buying, because it doesn't fit my family. But I still do have outfits that don't exactly fit the theme and use them for photoshoots and just beause. Having kimonos around as 'emergency new dolly is naked and needs clothing' is great.

12. Do you get one default outfit for your doll and then move on to the next or do you buy several different outfits for your dolls?
      It depends on the dolls some are more spoiled than others. Some dolls only have one outfit ... others have two ... and then there is my first doll with around eight different outfits.

I would not say that they are boring as the outfits I have suite them well. I am looking to get them more outfits, its just finding the right things for them that is the hard part.

Four dolls: One outfit each
      Two dolls: Two outfits each
      One doll: Eight...? Wow, did not realize she had that much!

I am a bit biased towards one outfit as it works well with her wings, bit she changes back and forth between her others enough.

I used to be a horrible impulse buyer when it came to clothing, especially when my dolls characters were not as cemented as they are now. Now I am find myself VERY particular about what I buy.

13. Do you get one default outfit for your doll and then move on to the next or do you buy several different outfits for your dolls?

It varies, depending on the doll. A few of mine have one or two outfits that suit them so perfectly that I don't feel the need to find or make them anything else. Others have more extensive wardrobes of their own or share from a common "pool" of outfits that suit the style I've picked for them.

Nope. If the doll looks Just Right in the one outfit they wear, I don't feel any particular need to change them. There are always others here to do that kind of thing with.

That depends on the doll and the specific types of things they wear. Amber, for instance, I keep in very ornate, 18th-century style outfits. He's the only doll here who wears that sort of thing and they tend to be very pricey and hard to find, so he has a very limited number of them. I only switch which one he's wearing every couple of months. Tien Jen, on the other hand, is one of the many dolls in my crew who typically wears traditional Chinese-style outfits. I change his every couple of weeks, and can choose from the shared, common pool of outfits of that type that I've made or collected over the last five years. They aren't "his" alone, but there are dozens of the things to pick from...

In either case, there are always going to be favorites. Some outfits from the collective pool look better on one doll than the others. Some outfits from a given doll's specific wardrobe are used more often than the others... That's just the nature of the beast. The only way I can see of having "too many" is running out of space to store them properly.

Well, yes... I buy outfits very intentionally. Clicking that "Pay Now" button isn't an accidental slip. :lol:

If what you're really asking is more like "Do I buy items specificly for one doll or just in general?", then the answer is still yes. I do both. Sometimes I'll pick an outfit because it suits one doll in the collection, and I know it'll be their's exclusively, like Amber's suits. Many times, though, I'll just come across something that I like and know would fit well in the "general collection". Any of my dolls may end up wearing those if the style is appropriate.

All of that said, I don't think there's any "right" way of doing things when it comes to picking extras. I consider myself a collector of dolls' outfits almost as much as I am a collector of the dolls themselves... But that may not work for everyone. I know a fair number of dolly minimalists, who are all about finding the One True Look for each of their dolls and leaving it at that.

14. When it comes to outfits, I'm one of the buy, buy, buy types:blush
      I find I'm happier with fewer dolls I can spoil than many dolls I feel like I'm scrimping to dress the way I want.
      I have a much longer wishlist of specific Volks and Dollheart outfits than I do of dolls and have spent several times more on my dolls clothes than what the dolls themselves cost.
      Oddly enough I don't change them that regularly, they sometimes sit in the same outfit for a couple months. I tend to change them for meetups (which I don't go to so often anymore), when I get something new, on random whims, or around holidays.
      I've joked before that I collect outfits and just have dolls so I have something to wear them. :lol:
      Really though, I didn't start this way, but the clothes have become a large part of the hobby for me over the years and are what have kept me interested.
      I do find that my interest in clothes dies down a little when I do really want a new doll.
      I recently let 3-4 outfits on my wishlist slip by because I'm saving for a new doll. I'm not sure if I regret it or not yet :sweat
      I have also sold dolls before partially because I felt like they didn't look good in the types of outfit I wanted for them.

15. Do you get one default outfit for your doll and then move on to the next or do you buy several different outfits for your dolls?

None of my dolls has a 'default' outfit. I changed their clothes regularly because I cannot stand them wearing the same clothes over and over again. Some people's dolls can rock one outfit, but definitely not my dolls.

Yes, sometimes I do lose interest in my dolls because I dont have anymore new clothes for them to wear! In that case, I start to ignore that particular doll and move on to another. LOL. I'm so vain o_____O

All of my dolls share clothes together 'cept the tinies, obviously XD The tinies have their own small chest of clothes. And the bigger boys has a drawer full of hoodies/tees and another drawer with pants/shorts.

I also have a box full of girly clothes for my girly boys and a box of unused clothes... I went on a buying spree when I bought my first doll, and none of my dolls now want to wear those clothes >.> I dont think there's a thing called "TOO MANY CLOTHES." I need MOAR.

Kinda both. I'm always searching for casual clothes that my boys will wear. When I see something I like, I will think it over plenty of times, should I buy it or not, cause most of the clothes I have bought, my boys end up not wearing them -____-

And sometimes, I just feel like spending some money so I'll just snatched it up without thinking much about it XD

16. Do you get one default outfit for your doll and then move on to the next or do you buy several different outfits for your dolls?

I tend to have my doll in one outfit for a long time, sometimes they wear something for a long time then I have a feeling if I want to see it again, I have a few match and mix pieces and a couple of outfits for each doll I think. Shoes I have a pair each for them, I wouldnt have more than two pairs for a doll for some reason, maybe expense.

Sometimes I feel my dolls are abit 'stale' with what theyre wearing so I will sell their clothes and start again, a bit like a make over!

I have about 10 items for each doll, including socks ;) I tend to leave them in the same outfit for a while. If I feel some clothes are too similar or that they havent worn something for a while I will sell on, I dont like their clothes to get bigger than my doll carrier.

Intentionally, I will save outfits I want for a while before buying, or know what Im looking for. Occassionally I will see something that I will add to an order that I like.

17. Most of my doll have no clothing. They have shoes, wigs, eyes, and anything else I can't make easily. However, as my collection has grown, I have indulged a couple times on outfits. As an avid seamstress and clothing designer, it's difficult to plunk down money for clothing that's merely Okay or good enough for the moment.

18. I buy lots of clothes for my girls, but then when they arrive I find one outfit that suits them the best and it becomes so much a part of their personality that I don't like to change it. I also find a lot of my dolls end up not suiting the clothes I bought. I have a big box of clothes for them all to choose from.

I want my new puki girls (I have a puki puki and a pukifee on their way) to be more versatile and change their clothes more. THOSE girls have empty wardrobes because I can't find clothes I like enough for them that really suit them. I am trying to make sure each piece is right for them so I am happy to change their clothes more often. I want them to be special. Each will have their own unique set of clothes just for them. BUT right now, they are empty.... one outfit each.

19. Do you get one default outfit for your doll and then move on to the next or do you buy several different outfits for your dolls?

I make one default outfit per doll. Sometimes, inspiration hits and a start a new outfit for him or her, and the old outfit goes into storage. At this point, I have probably as many outfits in storage as I have on dolls. Every doll has an outfit--though not all are completely finished--I'm still searching for the right shoes or a way to make the right shoes for nearly all my girls.

It takes me several weeks to sew an outfit, and I then I have a lot of fun posing the dolls all around the house (with props and/or socializing with each other). I love love love looking at them! I do change the dolls' clothes, but only when I've made them something new. Every time I finish an outfit and am ready to start another, I go hunting for which doll I'm bored or dissatisfied with (who thus needs a new outfit!)

Eventually, I hope to work up the guts to do photographs of the dolls, and then I'll want to get pictures of all their outfits. Probably, though, after photographs, they will all go back in their default outfits.

Each doll has a couple outfits, but only one that they wear all the time (if that makes any sense?) so I think that makes me "biased towards one particular outfit." I have several different brands of doll and make mostly tightly fitted or tailored clothes, so they can't really share clothes very well.

And there is no such thing as "too many clothes!"

Designing and sewing clothes is my favorite part of this hobby. I have bought a few clothes, but have not been very excited by them, largely because they don't fit perfectly.

I haven't figured out how to make proper shoes, though, and so buy all my dolls' footwear.

20. Do you get one default outfit for your doll and then move on to the next or do you buy several different outfits for your dolls?
      My dolls all have very set looks. They have character designs and outfits and generally only wear the one thing. I have some 'coming home' clothes which generally get swapped out as soon as I have their actual proper outfit home.

So my dolls only have one 'official' set of clothes.

Nope. I look at Lief and I see Lief the way he is in my imagination. As my dolls are characters from books I'm writing, and the characters do have one set style, I find I look at them and see the character, more than I look at them and see the doll. They're like very expensive figures for me, as much as my Edward Elric, SackBoy, Cloud Strife etc. figures are representations of the character.

My doll's character wears 'X', so my doll will wear 'X' too. I don't feel the need to change my doll's look once it's set.

N/A

Not really. I just don't see the point in buying clothes that my doll will not wear, no matter how pretty they are. -shrug-