1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Your reasons for choosing your first doll?

Jun 21, 2011

1. I had a whole list of dolls I wanted to get at the time, but I ahd narrowed it down to my two very favorites: Luts Delf El and DoD DoC U. Honestly the only reason I picked U is because he was cheaper so I could get him soner xD I was also a little intimidated by the SD size in general. It took quite a bit of exposure to my friend's SD dolls for me to get used to the size.

2. Six words: I fell in love with her. She's the sole reason I am in this hobby now! If it wasn't for her, I wouldn't be on this forum at all. :D

3. After drooling over a friend's doll for months, I decided I wanted one of my own but SD size was far too big for me. So I looked around and finally found one on Dollmore that just *called* to me. So home she came and I've never looked back!

4. My reason? Very simple: he was (and still is) stunning. :D
      I didn't have any story or characters I was trying or wanted to create at that point in time. So the selling point to me was simply how they looked and DoD's Homme Ducan appealed to me.

5. I got mine because it was kind of Love at First Sight kinda thing. :lol: I saw him and I love him. I started comparing him to other doll but just can't stop thinking about him, so I ordered him. ^^

6. I had been browsing dolls for a while, a lot of dolls caught my attention, but when I saw a picture of DOD Code no. 2 I fell in love with everything about him. I mostly loved his eyes, his eyes are what really drew me in. I tried comparing him to other dolls I was looking at, but deep down I knew I had already chosen him ^_^

7. Generic reason for getting SD-sized dollie: I need a larger BJD to make accurate historical costumes for.
      Reason for getting the Feeple Chloe: she gorgeous, Fairyland dolls pose really well, and I WANT HER! hahaha

8. Because I fell in love<3 (:

9. I really felt in love with the Dream of Doll Company, since they're the very 1st BJD Company i've seen. I have been like trying to see which sculpt would fit in my taste, first there was Lahoo, Ducan, then Kyrill... Then finally after 3-4 years of stalking the site... I settled for DOI A&D Ver.2, and i'm in the process of saving for my very 1st doll... I wish that i could have him soon. ^^y

10. Love at first sight. I couldn't help it: he was just perfect. Once I'd seen him, I couldn't get him out of my head. I bought him within a week of discovering him, and despite the fact that I knew nothing whatsoever about bjds. When I got access to DoA, for a moment I panicked and thought I might discover another little boy doll who'd suit my character better - but I didn't. I looked around, but still thought my first choice was perfect.

In the meantime, he's here, and he has confirmed all my hopes :D. He's the cutest little thing and poses like a dream. *is now officially a Dollzone fan*

11. For my first doll I didn't want a childlike doll, so at that time MSD size was not an option. I chose my first doll because of his size (60 cm), the size of his nose (I like big noses) and the fact that he came with extra hands and a wig (I have never used those :sweat). He was also less than $600, which was the maximum amount I was allowed to spend on a doll (shipping not included). Because my first doll was a graduation gift from my parents I didn't have much to say about the budget and certainly nothing to complain about.

I wasn't smitten by this doll nor did I adore it when I chose it. I just picked one that I liked best out of a selection of nice looking dolls. As my first doll I wanted a doll to get familiar with the hobby and this doll grew on me later on.

12. My first doll was mainly based on how pretty she looks (somehow I find this a bit weird...can't find the right word to describe it...) and I chose my first doll from Supia. I love her to bit...The sculpt was just amazing and she looks like an ethereal faerie queen from the past or something :D!

13. I dreamed of her:lol:......
      3 years ago I was invited for my first BJD day. I was curious what the differcence was between them and Barbie Collectors, my hobby at that moment. I liked the clothes, but the dolls..... And then I saw a lot of dolls and the following night I dreamed about two of them. So the next day I phoned my friend (seller of these dolls) and after a long time staring and playing with them I made my desicion...

14. My friends got their dolls from Fairyland, so I decided my first doll would be from there because I didn't know much about other sites and that was the one they showed me. After that it was just fate that I fell in love with the mold I did.

15. The first doll I ever wanted chose me. I just knew the second I saw her that she was mine.

16. My first BJD was a Serendipity Sharmin. I thought she was very cute, her size seemed nice (I only had Pullips, Blythe and Living Dead Dolls at the time, and anything larger than a MSD seemed ridiculous though I liked them), her price was decent, and I was able to buy her on ebay from a seller with good feeback. It was another year or so before you could buy Volks from the US shop and I wanted that first Kun but I wasn't in a position where I felt comfortable buying from a company overseas, so I went for the more attainable doll. After the Volks store opened in the US, I ordered the doll I wanted to be my actual first. Eventually the Sharmin moved on, but the Kun remains. :)

17. When I 1st decided I wanted to buy ... my bank account was sadly lacking. I had an "Ori" character I want to do as a BJD and after many months of shopping decided on a Bobobie. I had heard of all the problems others were experiencing, but I thought I would try them anyway. I was not disappointed... the resin had a nice feel to it, no chemical smell, seam lines sanded no additional charge, face-up no additional charge, and received lots of extras from the Company. I did have my doubts, but was surprised when the girl stood like a rock right out of the box. So I decided to try them again... still on a limited budget and bought another 2nd hand. And he has never been a problem from the 1st day he stepped into the house. Yes I would love to have the funds to purchase some of the "Cadillac's or Mercedes" or the "Rolls Royces" I've seen here, but does money equate happiness? Not really, at least for me.

- ShadowHawke -

As for my other half.... having purchased a Doll More Ipsae Monahan... not my taste in dolls. Either the sculpt nor the structure of the body. The hands and feet are a disaster.

18. my reasoning was very simple...it was limited XD

19. Honestly, I chose my first one because he was cheap. He was a Bobobie and when I got him home, and I REALLY didn't like him. I sold his head and got a new one, then ended up selling the entire doll down the road.

20. I fell in love with a Pong at my first doll-meet. I was feeling a bit out of place (not being an owner and not knowing much about the different brands), and this itty bitty doll was thrust at me. I believe I made the same face the doll was making!

Well, I shopped, and shopped, and kept coming back to the one that made me smile, so my daughter got me my first bjd for my 50th birthday, this year. I love and adore that little angel (and my daughter). So I have to agree with Vanille, buy something you LOVE, not just like.