1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Your reasons for choosing your first doll?

Jun 21, 2011

1. I honestly didn’t put so much thought into my first doll...
      Well..the doll I was planning on getting first, I put a lot of thought into him just to be sure he was the one I really wanted; so I looked at sculpt, looked for reaputable companies..good posing, nice bodies...all that good jazz...Then one day by chance I came across another scuplt and it just clicked and I didn’t care if he posed worse then a twig xD
      I had to have him. 
      I think that’s how a first doll should be; you should click with it right away. 

2. I searched through a lot of doll sites before I found my first doll Ani.
      He's a LUTS Kid Delf and the first moment I lay eyes on him I just fell in love! You know the feeling ;p
      I looked at the Kid Delfs because of their childlike features x3

3. i'm sorry but i have to bump this since i just pay my first doll ~

reason : his face , his pouty sad face ~ (i have this thing to a pouty face for doll :sweat)
      also he look like a original manga that i wish and want to have ~

mysterious , cool , quiet yet caring , loving and sweet :)

4. Well, I don't have a doll yet, but I know what is going to be my first doll. When I was look I mainly looked for just a beautiful face. But then as I learned more about BJDs, I looked for more things. The body, the joints....and price.

5. It took me ten minutes from the first time seeing my first doll's face to actually buying her. I just couldn't take my eyes off her at DDE. I knew she was the doll I'd like to purchase. I don't usually believe in love at first sight, but she definitely was the right choice.

6. I really wish my first was the doll I fell in love with at first sight (Crobi's Nia) but since he was so expensive, I was kinda leaning towards Dika's Yolanda. Then went into browsing more and more companies and suddenly saw Luts's limited La Sirenita Pine...and I REALLY loved her mermaid/elf ears :aheartbea So I just had to get her~ (I realised I have something with elf-ish looking ears...:o)

7. At first, I didn't know what to look for. I didn't even know if I wanted a male or female doll. So, I just went with my gut instinct instead and follow the "don't settle" advice. I looked at countless doll from various companies. I went from thinking I wanted an Iplehouse Storm or Chase to DoD's Twing-key and finally, settled with Dollmore's Victor Lou 3-eyes. <3

What attracted me to him was Idk - honestly. I like the fact that he has 3 eyes and a vampire. His jawline really stood out to me too. I love his nose! And those sexy lips. XD And all three eyes go nicely together, it doesn't look odd to me at all. Besides his head sculpt, I looked at the Glamour Model body and I ADORE IT. <3 Above all that, I felt like he was "calling" me. It's weird LOL.

Oh, I was also looking at his Dollmore page every single day and every few hours I'll check back on him. So, in a way, it was a sign that I wanted him. I just sigh in delight when I look at him. ;w;

I can't wait to hold him when he arrives. <3

8. I only looked at face sculpt. I was such a noob that I didn't realize they all had different bodies when I ordered my first (don't judge me by my noob ignorance XD )

I was trying to find, not The One Perfect Doll! but the perfect doll to embody a specific character. It had to look like him (and since I draw and have a clear idea of what he would like more realistically too, finding a sculpt was both easy and hard as hell), and in order to look like him I wanted certain specific features - sleepy but still large eyes, neutral expression, small mouth but fuller lips (just not super full XD), soft and smooth with little to no lines or sharp definition (this was the really hard one). I looked a lot of different companies and found nothing I liked or even close. At the time I honestly had convinced myself I was just "looking", not looking to buy so money wasn't a factor since I wouldn't actually buy said doll (ha ha ha).

When I found my first doll it was luck. I was done. I was literally thinking there wasn't one out there that would work and had consciously decided that the last search I did was going to be last one and somehow I found Dollmore. Kara Klum is to this day the only doll that I've ever seen that is Alex. So of course I had to buy him XD

And I got even luckier than I knew then, because since I didn't know anything about the bodies of BJDs att had I gotten any other doll it wouldn't have worked out in the long run and I'd either only own Alex, or I'd have had to reshell him at some point, because as a character he's shorter and skinnier than the rest of my OCs, and none of his clothes fit him well. So yeah, the other 12 of you out there with Dollmore Adams who know how frustrating it is to find clothes, that's actually a bonus for me XD It would have been next to impossible for me to have other characters if he hadn't turned out as small as he is.

9. It was love at first sight, and he was a limited. XD There wasn't much to it, really. Oh, and he had the most posable body at that time, which was an awesome bonus. 8D

10. I wanted to have one, since I learned about BJD´s. No big reason behind it. It was a birthday present from me to me. :-)

11. I just knew it, the moment I saw him, an electric shock ran through my body, and I rolled on the floor choking on oxygen. While I was suffocating, my brain said to me "remember to buy underwear for him when you get him".

12. My first ABJD doll is interesting on how it came about lol. I liked anime and stuff so I kept figurines and some of the pullips. Then it suddenly hit me that I love bigger figurines as I can take photos of them easier. The biggest was 1/6 scale, so I looked and thought about why not try out getting a BJD.

I got my first from a shop. I walked in and was satisfied with what I see and walked out with her. Its been 6 months since then and alot others were added into my collection but I still like her cause shes different and shes the first. I soon to have 3 6x cm dolls and man do I love them big :D

13. I knew if I was going to get a doll I'd want it to be male-- and after a while I wound up typing in a search of 'masculine bjds' in google, and found a list. Iplehouse was on that list. I was firstly impressed with their larger bodies-- and when Claude came out I was amazed. I wasn't sure though that I wanted a doll that big, or if I wanted to pay so much... and then before I knew it his sale was over, and I'd missed my chance.

When I saw their boy Kyle, I thought he was very charming looking, and more mature in the face than the other male JIDs. I had the money in my bank, and I kind of figured either I was gonna go for it now or I probably wasn't gonna get one (I don't normally have tons of free money just lying in my bank). So I placed my order with a filler wig and some clothes, because I knew I wouldn't be pleased if my doll was naked and wigless. Then I invested in some proper close from a tailor, a nice wig, high quality eyes, and a sofa in his size so I'd have a place to display him. Really, I could have bought two dolls his size for the price, but he feels right at home, and aside from his missing faceup, nearly finished now. (Well, USPS broke the legs off the couch so I need to find someone to repair them without ruining the sofa, but still)

I am so pleased with Louis that I've ordered my second doll, a Claude, on layaway. He was re-released, and for now I can't afford his clothes or wig, but they can come later. He's the first doll I really wanted, available all over again by a stroke of pure luck. So I'll get him and work on him!

But yes, that's the story of my first doll. ^____^

14. I knew from the first that I wanted a bobobie, since the scupts were pretty and relatively inexpensive. But I couldn't decide on one for ages, until I got my boyfriend in on it to help me decide. I was originally going to go for an Elena, but went with Ophelia because she was happier. I did learn my lesson about not buying a starter outfit, I'll tell you that much.

15. I'm looking for a doll that embodies a specific character I've created, as I'm choosing my first doll.

Obviously the aesthetics are important too, but there are so many pretty dolls out there... the specific pretty doll for me is the one that suits my character. :)

16. My first doll is Doll Chateau Bella. She was one of 4 dolls on my wish list, but the only small doll in the bunch with 46 cm height (the rest of them were big dolls, 58 cm).
      Since I didn't know for sure that the hobby would fit me ones I got the doll home, I went a bit "safe" and took the smallest one.

Today I regret it a little. I do love her body, and she is so beautiful.. But I thikn she is too small.
      I ordered my second doll this week (Peakswoods Goldie Wake-up, 58 cm) and I hope that they work together ones she gets home. If they dont it'll be Bella who leaves because of her size :(

17. I spent a long time deliberating over which doll would be my first, which one I would truly buckle down and save for.

However, it was all thrown to the winds when I stumbled across my boy for sale at a convention. I spent no less than an hour in front of that booth, and I knew I was smitten. Luckily the owner of the doll was local, and arranged a payment plan so that I could afford him. Sometimes, despite all the planning, they choose you.

18. I picked my first bjd based on cost. But i did splurge and buy a domadoll cooki cause I was head over heels in love with her right after that.

19. I wanted a doll with elfic features so I can make fairy theme dresses to her, I wanted her to look melancolic some how, and to have a thin body to make belly dancer clothes too. So I make a hybrid with a or doll head and a supia body and I am pretty happy with my decision since she fits perfectly to the image I wanted.

20. I choose my dolls based on how their face and body looks since I plan to have my dolls look like my original characters, so I try and find a doll that looks the most like them. I already have one of the dolls, Tumnus, but my second doll has to have pointed ears and be rather snobbish/grouchy looking and I keep running into the $800 since all the dolls I keep finding that match are limited editions. D:

Besides looks, I also look in sizes. I prefer SD sizes or larger. I also like double jointed dolls for more pose-ability.