1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Your reasons for choosing your first doll?

Jun 21, 2011

1. I had bounced between different sites, but decided on the VolksUSA FCS as my first as they seemed to be very dependable for delivery. I kept seeing people talking about waiting 10 months or more and while I was willing to wait several months, I didn't want to wait that long. Plus I loved the face that was available the month I purchased, so I'm happy as can be.

2. I didn't have a grail doll in mind at the time, but I knew that for my first doll I wanted a second-hand girl from the marketplace, so I just kept lurking in the marketplace for months until one jumped out at me and I knew she was the one : 3

3. When I got Olive, it was because I happened to see the promo post for Withdoll's Egon when he was first released, and the promotional pictures of the fullset just caught me. I ended up getting everything but the outfit. The face was perfect - and still is. I'm very adamant about never getting the same doll twice, but I would buy another Egon without hesitating. That sculpt is so beloved it became a basic release from Withdoll due to popularity.

4. I was set on Souldoll and almost got Liddell, but then noticed that the limited Gavi was the same price as a non-limited MSD... Knowing she was an option, I looked closer at promo pics and fell in love with her sculpt, which is stylized but mature and realistic enough to match the supermodel-esque N.L. body. I distinctly remember browsing on my phone in bed when I had the epiphany and am so glad I did. Knowing she's a limited and few were made makes my first doll all the more special to me (though I do miss owner pics!)

5. I always loved body sculpts that were realistic so I thought that my first doll would be from iplehouse. But I never made the purchase because I never felt that any of their dolls were THE doll for me. And then a video of a doll chateau alberta box opening came up on my youtube suggestions feed and i absolutely fell in love. I had this feeling of 'I NEED her'. But the sculpts of doll chateau were so slim and exaggerated and the total opposite of what I loved of realistic body sculpts.

The short of it is that it was the slim and uniqueness of doll chateau's body sculpts that made me get alberta as my first doll. It was so different from what I usually see from other companies.

6. MYouDoll's Delia is what convinced me to buy a BJD in the first place, and I was just on the verge of getting her until I realized she's sadly too big for my preferences. They did recently release a 1/6 version of her, but she looks a bit bobble-headed to me-- I'm grateful honestly, or else I would've been sad I missed out!

Though I didn't buy Delia, I really liked MYouDoll's look and prices (especially since I caught them during a sale period), and when I did research on them I saw pretty unanimously good reviews that their quality was excellent, especially given the price. So I stuck with MYouDoll and ended up buying their smaller Zhuozhuo instead, who looked just perfect for the character I wanted to shell.

Honestly, I'm quite lucky I found a doll I really liked for a price that was affordable for me. I grateful I don't feel like I'm "settling" at all; while I love Delia, I have enough room in my heart to love my Zhuozhuo as well! They're both gorgeous to me.

7. The reason I got my first doll was because her first owner was leaving the hobby and she was an Iplehouse, though she's not the sculpt I had been originally looking for. Iplehouse is one of my favorite bjd shops and they have amazing sculpts.

8. My first doll was a Little Monica Bear. The only thing I was certain on from the start was that I wanted my first doll to be a boy. I decided to look at MSDs because of the price really, but later realised that a SD would have been far too big for me anyway. At the time I ordered my first doll I was still so new to anything to do with the hobby I was literally just looking for a face I could fall in love with - which I found. :)

9. Pretty much the only doll I've seen that immediately makes me think of my OC. Perfect cute slightly chubby angelic face.
      It took me on and off eight years to decide to buy a doll. I'd still check once in a while to see if I still felt attached to the sculpt and every time I still did, so I finally decided I should just do it. :p
      I'd be so upset if the sculpt ever got discontinued, and after eight years I think I waited long enough. :3nodding:

10. Well I'd been researching BJDs for like...idk six years before I got one? So I already knew my general likes/dislikes and what companies I preferred. Sadly by the time I decided to get my own, most of the dolls I wanted the most were discontinued (AR Little Fair, MSD Mika) and I wanted my first doll to be completely stock and direct from the company which left me with BF Jasmine, the only still-available doll I really wanted. Looking back now I would have been better off waiting for a stock AR girl to pop up on DOA or get an MSD Mika secondhand because I found that I really did not like the new BF body and Jasmine was instantly my least-favorite after I'd acquired more dolls. And then, three brand new dolls into my collection, I got an old AR girl with her stock faceup and outfit and found that not only did I prefer single joints, but I also preferred old, slightly yellowed Mini-sized dolls with single joints and the classic MSD body type.

Pretty annoying to figure out that I liked an old, secondhand, yellowed doll more than I'd ever liked the three brand-new ones I had prior to her but at least it got me to the point where I know what I like!

11. I suffered from severe depression at the time. Listened to all kinds of "I wanna die and am otherwise super deep" Visual Kei music and tried to look the part, but failed for size and budget. I don't know how I came across Iplehouse, but I saw their Tania in the goth kitty outfit. She incorporated everything I wanted/pretended to be, so I bought her with money I didn't have.

12. I got my doll, (dollsbe potato) because he was small and cute, and I wanted to see if I'm actually *that* interested in BJDS or if its just a weird phase.. Anyways turns out I really bonded n loved the little guy!

13. I had this problem, too! Actually, most of the dolls I've fallen for in the past are probably difficult to get now. It's been a really long time.

Anyway, I happened upon BJDs as a young teen and quickly became obsessed, but for obvious reasons could not acquire any for a significant amount of time. Didn't stop me from daydreaming and making lists of, oh, an eminently reasonable 20+ dolls I was certainly going to someday have. Time passed, my interest level would wane for a bit and then pop right back up, and I'd start making new lists again.

Then, I saw Claude. The first Claude from Iplehouse, the fullset with the armor and everything. I am a huge, huge sucker for knights. I love everything to do with knights. I hadn't seen armor as good as that before... and Claude was beautiful. He was so perfect in every photo, everything about him--that smile! By this time, I actually had a shot at getting a BJD, and I knew this needed to be the one. If I didn't get him, I'd probably spend forever bellyaching over lists I couldn't narrow down and never actually buying one of these expensive things.

So, I got my first (still only) doll.

14. I'm in the same position as you right now! I recently bought a charm doll and wanted her cause she's cute and I can't stop looking back on her sculpt. But I'm also wondering if I actually like bad or wondering if I'm in a phase as well.

15. i know a lot of people have been saying "get the doll you really wanted and not what you think you want" but this is easier said than done
      my "supposed-to-be" first doll I chose rather quickly, which did not let me fully bond with it with my thoughts, so in my book, it was a mistake.. i chose it mostly because i was attracted to the price.. and "convinced" myself in a pressure that this could work..

however, I got now this secondhand head that I really wanted and I have a plenty of reasons for choosing it, including the faceup, the sculpt, and the aesthetic. This doll right now is a hybrid. To be honest, I feel like I might have unconsciously bought this doll with this criteria, I was just... it was just like that moment. Magnetic. Right now I could say though that this is the doll that I was truthfully going for, character wise. I love him and I think he's perfect.

16. I've been looking for months for my first doll. I have a lot of characters I wanted to make into dolls but didn't have one specific in mind. All I knew was I wanted either a male doll with Asian features (black hair and slanted eyes) or I wanted a boy doll that looked like he stepped out from an Anime. Other enthusiasts talk about a lot of dolls and doll makers but its very confusing when they use abbreviations and references I don't yet know. When one was mentioned if a picture wasn't posted I would try to search for it online so I could see what they were talking about. I found a lot of very nice choices but they didn't have that asian beauty I was looking for or that cute anime look either. Finally I got lucky when someone posted a picture that was exactly what I was looking for. My first purchase was Orijean from Dollshe. I saw him and just fell in love. Less than a week later I placed the order. Unfortunately I can't get the clothing or the faceup with him that I fell in love with but I liked him enough I didn't care. I still bought him. LOL I've already got another selected for the anime boy too Aooni from Ringdoll. :)

17. I didn't have much income when I was first thinking of getting into the BJD hobby, and I found that the company Custom House/Aidolls was selling PVC versions of some of their Little Junior sculpts for a lower price than most BJDs. In the end they had production problems, and ended up sending me a resin version of the sculpt instead. I chose the Mars sculpt in particular because his sad little face was perfect for my character. Years later he's been on several different bodies and has had many different faceups but I'd never sell him - he's still perfect. It took me years to be able to send him out for a professional faceup because I was scared of losing him.

[​IMG]

18. My first doll was a Luts KD Bory Unicorn. I ended up getting him because he was a combination of everything I wanted in a doll. He had droopy eyes, cute elf-like ears, and so I couldn't help myself. I knew I wanted dolls with all of those characteristics, so I fell in love instantly when I saw him.

19. I really enjoy dolls that are unique and uncommon so it was only natural that I fell in love with mini machina by batchix when I came across a video review of her from a few years ago. At the time I was really sad upon learning that the doll was currently unavailable and likely wouldn't be again for some time, but I also wasn't seriously looking at buying a bjd at the time. Recently I've started following an instagram page that sponsors posts for people trying to sell or find dolls to buy and saw a mini machina blip for sale! I was thrilled and determined to buy her.

Now I fill like I've opened the flood gates :evilplot: and I'm adding many dolls to my want list like skully by mister minou, pidgin doll, and pretty much any lilycat doll.

#939 DrHorus, Apr 3, 2018
      Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2020
    20. My first doll was Lishe Chicline from Fairyland. It was love at first sight, the doll has been living with me for 7 years.I have seen her photo in the Internet and have understood that I can't live without her:)
      I still strongly love her:)