1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Your reasons for choosing your first doll?

Jun 21, 2011

1. It catches my eye just like eye in first sight.
      Is Gus from AS.
      I still have it till now.
      The first bjd is always the best!!

2. I wanted a little doll to try out with first, something I could make a fantasy character and one with a unique look. I also wanted one that was ready to go with a company face up. I saw lots of YOSDs that were cute but none of the expressions spoke to me. I looked at lots of companies but no luck. Then I saw the Realpukis by Fairyland and thought "We're getting warm!" They had such fun unique expressions and a pixie like quality that I loved. The banner on the page for them featured this little guy, laying along a branch, smirking to himself and I feel in love with that smirk. He was my tiny Peter Pan like boy and I couldn't be happier with the Papilio sculpt. I'm glad I got him

3. I'm really new to this hobby so all the information is definitely overwhelming for me. I don't even know where to begin to look at to choose other possible dolls.

I chose my first doll (that I don't own yet) courtesy of my sister. She fell in love with this one sculpt (Minifee Celine) and is stuck on it. So we planned to have twin dolls of that sculpt :) as we kept discussing details of the doll. Which I'm fine with since it is a pretty sculpt.

But when it comes time to pick another doll (maybe...I'm not sure if I'll be ready to own a 2nd doll when I don't even own 1), I'm going to be so lost because of so many options.

4. @flaflooflachan I have twins myself. It can be a fun way to see the versatility of a sculpt. Plus being the same size they can trade things.

5. At the time all I knew about was Volks Dollfies. For 2 years that’s all I searched bc I didn’t know about any others. The first actual in person doll I ever saw was at a local convention I go to every yr . It looked like Sebastian from Black Butler. An so I wanted my first doll to look more animeish. So the first doll that caught my attention was Miko a DDD. She just looked so cute and beautiful all at the same time I said she’s the one I want. So after I got my tax return I sucked it up an spent over $400 for her. She came standard nothing special an after I hit the purchase button I thought why in the world am I spending this much just for a doll??? Plus I didn’t know how big she really was let me just point that out there . I thought she was Barbie size honestly bc I didn’t pay no attention to her messurements. When she finally came in the box was huge I thought that’s a huge box for a small doll maybe they were making extra sure she wouldn’t break. Nope I opened the shipping box an saw her box an thought where am I going to hide this!!? An my old Barbie clothes are deff not going to fit !!! A year or so later I learned about bjd and how much a bigger selection of dolls are out there kinda wish I had waited on my first till I found that “just have to have doll” no matter the cost. Sad thing I have found her an all I can do is look at googles pics of her bc I can’t find her to buy.

6. My first doll was Dollzone Benjamin, and hilariously enough he's one of my only dolls who still hasn't arrived. :huh?:

I bought him because, honestly, he's the perfect sculpt for me. He's got a really distinct face that I feel makes people either completely uninterested in him or absolutely head over heels in love with him, and I'm definitely one of the latter.

At first I was agonizing over whether I should buy him or Doll Chateau Jodie first, and I decided on him because he was bigger and seemed easier to buy clothes for.

After getting Dollzone Carter I'm really glad DZ was my "Gateway" company- they seem like the perfect mix of affordable, distinctive and sturdy.

7. I just think he's pretty.

8. @0bsequi0us
      Benjamin is such a cool doll. His face is so interesting! I really adore him -- Carter and Benjamin are two of my favourite dolls all around.

--

For my first doll, I wanted someone with a somewhat neutral expression and a face that was interesting but not too unusual. Like someone you might look at twice on the subway but wouldn't remember afterwards. I absolutely adore sleeping/dreaming sculpts so I was looking at some of those, but I thought for a first doll it might be nice to have someone who could look around.

Eventually I picked Leon from Dollzone! I love his little eye bags, they're so sweet. And I like that you can leave the wing on for a fantasy element, or take it off and have a more standard doll. From the promo photos, it seems you can his expression look pretty different by using angles and shadows. And I just adore the joints on Dollzone bodies, especially the torso joint -- they're very obvious but still unobtrusive.

9. I chose a Volks Saki because my friend told me it was a reputable and reliable brand with good resin, and I found her the cutest among the three basic models <3

10. I knew I wanted an MSD size, so I looked around on Alice's Collection that fell into my price range. I started bookmarking everything that seemed affordable and cute, and then narrowed it down to a few. After that, I just listened to my intuition. I felt more drawn towards one, even if I liked the clothes or wig of the others, I knew I would connect with one more than the others. Hopefully she arrives soon! She shipped from China a few days ago

11. I wanted a doll with nice face, body with good posing, but the cheaper category. I didn't know how strong my interest. I choosed a Dragon Doll Ying Ying. She was perfect first doll! :3nodding:

12. Well I really really really wanted a Luts Model Delf Abadon, because that sculpt matched an oc of mine PERFECTLY. But I was short on funds so I picked a Resinsoul Sui to shell the oc instead. He's still a work in progress and he wasn't my first choice, but I still adore him. :)

13. Eight years ago I bought Loid from Luts. I don’t know why I ordered him, really. He had a okay-ish/nice face, and the brand was reliable. I wasn’t too hyper about him, but about the old OC I made him to be. I sold him ages ago. He was a great first doll, but this time I will be more selective.

14. My first doll was Benetia from DIM. I chose this doll because I really liked the sculpt, and the price was also affordable for my age at that time compared to the other ones I wanted.

15. I actually didn’t choose my first doll! My friend was getting rid of her MSDs and offered her to me for free, and I loved her immediately. She’s a garden of dolls narrah, and she’s honestly so pretty and I’m incredibly pleased with her!

16. ResinSoul Tang was the first sculpt I fell in love with; he looks exactly like a friend of mine who lives overseas. Finding one on the MP was like fate.

17. I wanted a doll with a faint smile that could pose fairly well and also fit my budget. I also didn't think I could bear to wait for months and months, so I picked a doll that I could also find in stock somewhere. The in-stock part was what narrowed down my choice from my final two options, and I've been very happy with the result. It turned out that I picked a doll that's a good, fairly generic size, easy to clothe, and very easy to find eyes and wigs for. Perfect starter doll!

18. I didn't know if I would even like a doll, so I was looking for a first doll that would be fairly good quality and give me a feel for what dolls were like, and would also be easily sold if it wasn't for me. Also one that would hopefully be easy to find clothing for and wasn't too big or too small. Checking out dolls in that category, I also preferred a more mature body type, but not too hyper realistic - and I wanted something with an actual expression, without looking stoned or tragically apathetic. I ended up with a Minifee, who I adore <3

19. I actually had 2 dolls I really loved. The first one was a CP El. I tried to contact Luts via email about layaway payment (wich was most important for me that time) but they never answered (my fault. I should have just used the Q&A instead^^).
      Well the other doll was a Soom Mecha Angel Sabik. This guy looked so cool and handsome, especially on the promotion pictures where he was wearing a suit :drool. And he was huuuuuge!!!!! The tallest doll in 2008!! So, Luts didn't answer and Soom replied immediately to all my newbie questions and layaway request - I thought ok, since I only will get one doll in my life, it should be the tallest, most handsome and perfect dude!
      So I ordered Sabik (I still have him in my collection; he is not the tallest anymore, he is not the one and only doll I got in my life - but still deadly handsome :love. Oh! And I also got a CP El some time later)

20. I just wanted a small one to start with, since I was scared the bigger ones would be "too big" haha. So I started with a Fairyland Pukipuki Pong. Very cute, not as expensive as a YoSD or MSD.