1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Your reasons for choosing your first doll?

Jun 21, 2011

1. You know—I can't recall why I picked out my first BJD. Probably because she was the cutest of the choices I was looking at back when I chose her out? That was back in...2007—2008 maybe? I can only recall searching through a few on Jeeryama's eBay page when I was trying to get my first bjd after meeting a local with a MSD boy at the time.

So—I guess that could be used as an explanation as to why I got her—She was the best out of the selection I had to choose from, after being spurred on by a newly ignited interest after seeing my first bjd in person:kitty2.

2. My first doll hasn't arrived yet (he should be home soon tho!!) but he's going to shell one of my favourite OCs! I decided to choose the Dream Valley 51cm body because it's pretty much exactly how I imagine this OC of mine, and I think the height is going to be perfect for my first doll :sweat

3. I picked my first doll - a Fairyland Fairyline Sircca, natural skin, human - because the eyes weren't as large as other BJDs that I saw on the BJD market on Facebook and Instagram. Her sculpt gave me this elegant vibe and her company face-up is beautiful. Fairyland also did a great job taking her promo photos which made me want to buy her even more, haha!

For a while, I was scouring the internet for her and I refused to buy the knock-off recasts off of eBay even though eBay was the only place I saw her being sold for a while. Thankfully, someone on Instagram had her for sale and I was able to buy her legitimately! I don't plan on ever rehoming her.

4. My first doll is a Feeple60 Moe Line Carol. I’ve always loved Fairyland’s dolls, and I wanted my first one to be from them. I fell in love with the Carol head from the Butterfly Fairyland version, and I thought she would be perfect for what I had in mind for a character.

5. My first doll is Harucasting Geuru I chose her because of the resin color, her face, and her size.

6. The reasons of my process of choosing my first doll is because the character I am going with is a favorite of mine- I adore her and I adore writing for her and as her. Decision became that I just would love to have a physical representation of her!

I have ideas of how the face sculpt of some dolls may fit, and I have friends that deal with my ramblings too. ^^;

7. My first doll is a Resinsoul Mei, which i know is the same for lots of people! I chose her because I didn't know if I would like the hobby, and so didn't want to spend too much to start (though I then bought a Chibbi Lana before Mei arrived!)

8. I don't think this counts because I haven't even picked my first doll yet.. but I wanted to say thanks for this thread. It was a great read to see how others decided upon their first doll. It seems like there's a few reasons I see pop up again and again - the doll fits the character very well, the doll caused the 'fall in love at first site' effect, the doll had to be affordable but still able to shell into a character, a doll was chosen after a few years of searching for a either a sculpt that embodied the character or just a beautiful sculpt in general.. plus a bunch of others. (OK I kinda skimmed - the thread's 50 pages! lol)

It helps people like me that are still unsure of how to approach the entire thing, and to see others had issues that feel relatable, such as the price, or it not fitting what you want your character to look like perfectly.. etc.

Hopefully once I GET a doll I can actually give my answer!

Mods, if this post isn't allowed here because I don't have a doll yet, feel free to remove it. :) I just wanted to share a new person's perspective on it.

9. Price, I didn't end up keeping it for much longer after because of that.

10. I saw a fox doll on Soom's website. I had been pining after a Soom Amber when Breccia showed up for sale. I was smitten.

11. My first doll is Musen's "Dual Head". He is so creepy and weird (there is a second face splitting out of the top of his head), it was love at first sight!

12. i was a teenager, and my family was not well off, so i couldnt afford to be looking at SDs and the like when i had to be contributing some of my money to bills and food ^^' ultimately i decided to get an msd or smaller; after looking around i fixated on kid dollmore renee, and saved for a long time. i still have him! he's currently with a few of my things at my mother's house (i've long since moved out but couldnt take much with me at the time), but i'll be picking him and another doll up right at the new year ^^

i would say my taste in dolls has changed since i was younger. i worked really hard to get him back then but idk if i would have picked the same doll now; probably not. but, i don't love him any less! i've got a personal attachment to him now so i know i'll never part with him. i do plan to get him a new faceup, wig, and eyes though, to freshen him up a bit and have him a little more in line with my tastes now.

13. well... i chose my first doll (DIM eileen soft vinyl) mainly for the price. she was the cheapest & cutest bjd that i could find on ebay back then.

however, nowadays u can find dolls that are way cheaper & bigger (thanks to chinese manufacturers) although they don't have ball joints or held together by tension cords. but, if they were available back then, i probably would've gone for those instead.

luckily i never mistakenly bought a recast (didn't even know about recasts in my noobie days) but then,10 years ago they were practically non-existent.

#993 sureya, Nov 27, 2018
      Last edited: Nov 27, 2018
    14. I knew I want a doll for a looong loong time (8 years!) and I ordered one just recently, it's not even with me yet. yeah, I could buy one when I was younger but definitely not my DREAM one. And long time ago I made decision that I can't buy a doll just because it's cheaper and if I can't have the dream one, I won't have any. And now I'm waiting for one I wanted the most!

15. Impulse purchase.. *cries
      He was the best face among those (little) I had looked at. My biggest mistake.. hard to say that but truth hurts..

16. No good looking dolls of my favorite character. Rose of Versailles has been my favorite anime/manga for a long time and all the dolls of Oscar were either too small for my liking or not good looking at all (not to mention expensive)! So when I got into BJDs I saw a perfect opportunity to recreate Oscar exactly how I thought a decent doll of her should look (650$ later ;-;).

17. I wanted an MSD (because it was the only doll type I've handled before), a more realistic one (with more or less human proportions, no fairy or animal parts), and a more or less complete doll (with faceup, wig and a set of clothes/shoes). So I got myself and IH Asa at a local second-hand marketplace.
      I'm completely satisfied with it. :thumbup

18. I saw someone's doll in person and wanted one. Looked online, saw a CP Delf Lishe and was gobsmacked. That was years ago, now I only buy a doll if I get the same reaction.

19. What a cool question! I'm loving reading everyone's reasons.

I chose my souldoll clodia to shell my original character, Guen. I knew I wanted an MSD size since I wasn't sure if I was going to like (or afford) an SD doll. It took forever to find an MSD that had a more mature looking face and I also knew I wanted fangs with pointed ears. Clodia has a bit softer face than Guen, but for her price, she works perfectly and I love her ^^

20. IOS Anarmonia. He was the bjd I've wanted for a long, long time. I bought his head once I had the money to, and I don't regret it at all. I love his eyes(though I might open them up a little bit since they're pretty narrow), his straight nose, and that smug smile of his.