1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Your reasons for choosing your first doll?

Jun 21, 2011

1. I actually chose Cesavier after an extensive search of the Dollzone website (whom I confess I chose for their prices at first, then promptly fell in love with their facial sculpting). It was a difficult decision between him and their Mo, but he just seemed to have tonnes of personality whilst the rest of them (though beautiful) I just didn't find that attatchment too. I've never been the slightest bit dissapointed with my choice, and still play with him now after five years together. :)

2. After becoming completely smitten all at once with abjds in general (having never seen them before), I poured over the web looking at people's dolls, during which time all the many reasons why I wanted a doll started pouring into my head and heart. From there, I stumbled onto the Fairyland A-line body and fell in love with it — it was perfect for what I wanted. So I was in love with the body aesthetics before I settled on a face. Once I knew it had to be that body, I explored all the images I could find of people's mnfs and one face stood out to me. Even after some time wondering whether I should research other heads that might fit on the mnf body, I still loved looking at Lishe's face whenever it would come up... So, Lishe it is!

3. I spent a few months looking around and constant discussion with a friend of mine about BJDs. Was totally new to the hobby, but after I saw my friend's Pipos Charlotte - I just somehow fell into the hobby after that. Mainly wanted a doll that I felt could be versatile, and that the body and face sculpt would be appealing to me. I ended up deciding on a Soom MD Yrie - despite it already being a few years since they were released, the little birdie just got my heart with that face sculpt and the fantasy parts. I guess it was love at first sight even though I kept looking at other dolls to be 100% sure that I wanted Yrie to be my first. :')

4. Money was a big factor for me. As someone noted earlier, BJDs seem so much more expensive to someone just starting out than they do to someone who's been around the hobby longer. It seemed like that first doll was the hardest to get. But also, when it's your first, it really has to be special, so I looked for something unique too and ended up with a Resinsoul hybrid satyr girl and I'm still very happy to have her.

5. hmm...Don't think I've answered this before. I chose my first doll, an Iplehouse Tania because she looked at close as possible, to my eyes, as Luts Spica, which was sold out by the time I discovered him, and has hence become my grail doll. She was decently priced, even though Mnf were my second choice after Spica, so I went with her. I don't regret her in the least. I have always had a longing for SD sized dolls though, and that may be because of Spica.

6. I adore Iplehouse and my first doll is going to be either EID Asa or Carina. I have a few Iplehouse dolls on my wish list but I think I'll buy one first so I get a chance to experiment with her. If I really like her, I'll buy the rest on my wish list.
      I love Iplehouse EID girls as they are realistic and seemed more on the plus side and some sculpts always look grown up and playful at the same time.
      I love a lot of dolls before but I am quite happy I didn't buy them on the spot but have time to reconsider, "Is it really a doll I want?"

7. When I was first looking into BJDs I looked at tooooons of companies. Looking for any doll that caught my eye. I didn't care about the sizes or anything. When I found Angell Studio I really liked their style so I looked at their dolls over and over. I finally found their SD Cinderella. I didn't get her until almost a year later. Now I have had her for about 6 months and still love her. <3

8. He's so handsome
      and I in love with him ^^

9. I fell in love with just this one doll at that time. ^^

10. It was love at first sight really...and the price was great as well, it was
      *godfather mode on* an offer I could not refuse *godfather mode off*

11. This admittedly happened to me. I bought my first doll because the price seemed expensive, but not as expensive as larger dolls. So it seemed to be the most suitable for how much I was willing to spend at the time.

12. I originally thought I was going to get an Illusion Spirit doll as my first when I first laid eyes on one. After joining DOA probably around 3 weeks after my first exposure I read tips such as, wait and see if you really like, research and research some more! So that's what I did (I took a good month of everyday looking on the net at the different dolls and of different companies).

Since I'm fairly new to the hobby the things I wanted for a first doll at least was:
      - I can carry it easily
      - It coming as the full deal (wig, eyes, clothes, shoes, body, face up) included. why? Because my parents were not going to spend the extra 50 -100 bucks on those on top of the doll.
      - I had to still be interested in it after a few months of waiting

I didn't mind the fact that Blue Fairies were a little on the odd side of sizing, I was going to sew for it anyways. So thats how I ended him with Benjamin.

13. i am looking at these dolls for over 4 years now! And still i dont have one TT_TT
      and about 2 years ago the "want"-factor started to increases, i began researching and fantacising till last year, i totally fell in love...
      i thought "its just a phase, two pics later your in love with another... " :D
      but till today i am still totally full in love with this doll and so i gotta say: it will be quite an easy choise which dolls i'll buy first time, without having any other resoning then being in love with this certain doll over a year now, it just has to be that one! <3<3<3

14. i wanted to get a bjd so bad when i first saw one then when i had the money i did research, talked to a few dealers and companies before i made my first decision. my first doll was a bobobie ariel sprite in blue skin(Ritsuko) i got her because her character just popped in my head one day and i adore her so much:)

15. Well, my first doll I chose because I liked the way he looked, along with the fact that the company I ordered him from, Bobobie was the only one in my budget at the time.

16. When I first learned about BJD's I did some research and ended up at DDE where I fell in love with the DiM Flowne. I looked at a lot of different companies for about a year and then ended up back where I started. I love her sooo much!

17. I dont have my first doll yet, im actually going to order her on friday. Shes going to be a MNF rheia. Ive been stalking her for over a year now and finally im going to be able to afford her. I fell in love with her face ( those pouty lips), poseability and body sculpt. Just thinking about her makes me all giddy inside.

18. I didn't choose my first doll, he picked me. I had gone to a local doll meet to see bjds in person before deciding to order one, and a very nice woman lent me a doll she was considering selling so I would have one to play with and wouldn't rush into a bad purchase. And then he told me his name and that he wasn't going anywhere. He's by far my most demanding doll and still my favorite. While I love the others that came after him, he's the one I wouldn't sell under any circumstance.

19. I guess I'm not like most people and chose my first doll for the price, a BBB Erin. She's very cute, and I've seen a BBB little tiny in person and liked it. I'll decide if I like bjd's based on how I like having her.
      She hasn't gotten to me yet, they say they'll ship it tomorrow. I'm glad I made a dress, have a wig, and ordered her with shoes. I can play with her right away!

20. To be perfectly honest, I simply bought Soraya because she was the only one in stock that I liked at MintonCard. The one that I really adored wasn't in stock and the pre-order wasn't for a couple months or so, I just really didn't want to wait to get my first doll after I finally had enough money. OTL

Even though I made a dumb decision in that regard, it turned out well. The RingDoll Rebecca looked better in person than I had hoped, and I love her to bits now. :)