1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Your view on 'Grail Dolls'

Nov 13, 2010

1. Have you ever had one, or not?

Yes, I consider Volks Reisner to be my grail doll, I've wanted him since the day he was annonced in 2007. Previously I would have considered Volks Tony, Hikaru Genji, Soom IO and Musedoll ReChe to be other dolls I really really want but had no hopes in acquiring. But no doll to date has matched Reisner for me.

If you have, have you finally managed to have it in your collection?

I manage to acquire a Tony, Hikaru Genji and IO heads from different people. I placed a WTB for Tony, I bidded on many auctions on Y!J for Genji and IO was a stroke of luck from another member. ReChe was almost a lost hope when I found out musedoll only did him as a head years ago and he was retired when I found out about it. I was estatic when I found out they were rereleasing him again as a standard. But Reisner is still one doll I have not acquired, I think he's one of the last dolls that I laid eyes on and wanted from first sight and still desperately want but not gotten.

Do you treat it differently to your other dolls?

Nope, they're all more or less the same. Almost all my dolls are extreme wants 'love at first sight, must acquire someday' dolls. All of them (par a couple) has to pass a 110% perfect rule for me. Although some are more expensive than others and harder to replace, I try to be careful regardless which doll.

Do you only consider the very expensive dolls as Grail dolls?

It doesn't have to be, rarity and expensive doesn't always go hand in hand, though a majority of times they do. For me, not acquiring Reisner was just out of wrong timing when I found him I could not afford him. Once I had enough for him, he risen in price and went beyond my comfort spending zone. So he went from a 'someday' doll to 'grail.' So to me, its any doll that is so perfect but for whatever reason makes it hard to acquire for the person.

Have you managed to buy your Grail doll, but then been disappointed in some way with it?

None have disappointed me at all. All the dolls I pinned for, especially Genji (Like Reisner I never thought I would have him) turned out more gorgeous in person than the photos. I've always been happy with them. Although my love for Reisner did wane a little when I look at blank photos of the mold, but once he has a faceup, I fall in love all over again.

2. Have you ever had one, or not? Yes! A Fantasy!Soom Heliot
      If you have, have you finally managed to have it in your collection? No ;3; Probably won't for quite awhile XD;
      Do you treat it differently to your other dolls? Don't have it so P:
      Do you only consider the very expensive dolls as Grail dolls? I guess, since they're much harder to get, and then they have a much lower priority (because of cost).

3. I had a grail doll, which was a Dollshe Bermann, years back I was desperate to have him, but not anymore, because I found a different doll that suits my character so much better than a Bermann. However, back when I first joined the hobby, manly looking dolls were quite a rarity in those days, but not anymore now, heh.

I currently don't have a grail doll at the moment, I suppose the closest would be that Anne of Green Gables Dahlia from Dollmore, I know I would love to have her, but I can still improvise a similar style with just a regular Dahlia if I am unable to obtain her.

4. Have you ever had one, or not?
      I have. There are about 4 dolls on my list that are definite grail dolls. But my ultimate grail doll was ALWAYS Iplehouse Kamau from the moment I saw him in Real Skin.

I never managed to get my Real Skin version, BUT yes I did get him in what turned out to be even more a grail doll for me when he came out in Light Brown skin.

Yeah I kinda do. But my reasons for doing so are fourfold. Number 1: He is my oldest and most favourite character I ever had. Number 2: He cost me more than most of my other planned dolls would have done put together. Number 3: He's my biggest and most durable boy. He's easier to hold and carry than my two slender and smaller boys. And finally, number 4: He's my most realistic doll. He just looks so real sometimes, that he makes me squeal with glee. All in all, because of how old the character he emodies is, how much a part of me that character is (and I do mean this literally as he is an embodiment of me in soooo many ways) and because of his price, he does get slightly more special treatment, like a few more hugs and more time curling up in my bed than my other two boys do. Though I try my hardest to give them all the same treatment, and not to give preferential treatment to any one individual even if I don't always manage it...

Not as such no. I consider a grail doll, at least in my opinion, to be any doll you can just look at and instantly know that you really desire that doll. That you need it, have to have it and can't live without. Like me with Luts Delf El, who is one of my grail dolls. But another grail doll for me is my planned Bobobie Apollo/ResinSoul Mu hybrid boy. It's not about price, it's about desire and want. That's what makes a doll a grail doll to me.

Have you managed to buy your Grail doll, but then been disappointed in some way with it?
      Oh no! Sarge turned out to be everything I ever wanted when I first attempted to find the right shell for his character. He's more amazing than I actually thought possible. However, as I say I don't have all my grail dolls at home right now, the answer to this question may change one day. lol

5. Have you ever had one, or not?
      Yes, absolutely. I fell in love with Elfdoll Soah the first time I saw her.

Having two kids who were in various stages of college, etc., it was hard for me to spend over $500 on something as frivolous as a doll for myself. However, my husband wanted some new (very expensive) fishing gear and so he told me to go ahead and get her- I think to get himself off the hook, lol.

Sadly, I do. I now have a number of dolls who were just as expensive, but for some reason she remains the aloof princess. I have only done one outside photoshoot with her (at the SF Zoo). I think it's because I love her so much I don't want to take a chance of messing her up. She is my favorite model that I use in my auctions, though, so she is technically a "working doll".

Absolutely not. I really love my BBB Apollo- I love BBB floppiness because it allows for such natural poses, and love their quirky faces. But I wasn't really feeling the love for the BBB girl bodies and didn't really feel that drawn to any of the girl faces (although they are very cute, and I've seen some beautiful ones). When Resinsoul came out with first Sprite, and then An- I have both of them, LOVE their faces, find them to be very photogenic, and of course they have that RS/BBB floppiness that I love. So I said that if only Resinsoul would come out with a 60 cm girl. That became my "grail" at the time. They finally did come out with them, and I got my Dai.

Absolutely not disappointed in my Soah. She is as beautiful and enchanting in real life as she is in all the photos I had seen of her. On the other hand- when my Dai arrived I was disappointed to find that she was much "tighter" than the BBB Apollo and the BBB/RS Sprite and An. I wanted her floppy. So I spent an afternoon with a dremel and sandpaper and finally got her where I want her in terms of floppiness. She is a lovely doll, and I take her everywhere in case a photo op comes up, yet I don't worry about leaving a $500+ doll in my car, or getting her dirty, wet, banged up, etc.

6. Have you ever had one, or not?
      nope

can't answer that since i don't have one

if i have one, i would treat it fairy with other

not really

nope

7. Have you ever had one, or not?
      I've gotten my 'Pullip" grails but not my bjd one x_x Dollfie Dream - Nia

The pullip ones yes..besides one.

Actually yeah, I don't handle them as much so I don't ruin their outfit/wig

Any doll can be a grail doll, might be an older release but I kind of see Grail dolls as hard to obtain so yeah possibly expensive or older models.

Yeah, I bought a Pullip Kirakishou who was one of my grails and her outfit was horrible quality T___T

8. First of all, I have thoroughly enjoyed reading every single response to this thread! All the little stories of obtaining that hard to get doll are so adorable!

Have you ever had one, or not?

Ah yes indeed! Clearly I love the Volks Rozen Maiden dolls, for my three grail dolls are Volks Suiseiseki, Volks Shinku, and Volks Suigintou.

Yes! Around this time last year, I managed to obtain my dear Suiseiseki, the crown jewel of my doll collection. :) While she was the cheapest of my grail dolls, and I got her for a very good price at that, she was still very expensive. It was many months before I found a fullset on Den on Angels, since I was hesitant to buy one through Yahoo Japan Auctions.

I really love all of my dolls, but she is definitely my favourite. I tend to bring her out to meet-ups more often, but all of my dolls have been getting things like clothes pretty slowly, haha. In general, I am careful with all of my dolls, so in that respect, they're all treated the same.

Not necessarily, but I do consider grail dolls to be hard to obtain for most, and generally require a bit of a quest to obtain. Sometimes this means that they're really expensive (like my grail dolls), and other times, they're merely very rare, perhaps due to discontinuation or a low number of quantity. Generally, I don't consider readily available non-limiteds to be grails, even if they are hard to save up for. My first doll was $300, and while that took me months, it's just not on the same scale as obtaining my Suiseiseki, or trying to find something else I love like a Volks MSD F-12 in good condition.

Oh gosh no. I actually saw a Suiseiseki in person, which is what really made me fall in love in with the sculpt. I knew that I'd adore my girl when I got her, and she's really been a treasure the entire year that I've had her!

9. I hope this isn't *really* necessary, but it seems as though some people aren't familiar with the origin of the term "Grail."

Holy Grail? The cup used at the Last Supper to hold the "drink, this is my" blood? Biblical reference. The Grail was lost and has been searched for, in story, song, reality and otherwise, for the over two thousand years since. Thus, the Search for the Holy Grail when it refers to dolls would be the one you search for or attempt to get, and just haven't been able to find and/or afford and/or win the lottery -- the Unobtanium of your dolly life :)

I don't really think I have one at the moment, although I have longed for a Yukinojo off and on. I seem rather stupidly happy with most of my collection right now.

Now as to my other hobby, if anyone wants to unload a cel of Zelgadis from the "split ends?" scene, or an episode 30 TV Kenshin from the fight with Saito, I'm your target! :D <-- Kay's two Holy Grail items.

10. Have you ever had one, or not?

Yes... Volks Reisner and Elf Ducan... It was like a "love at first sight". Elf Ducan is the first BJD I saw and disappointed coz I don't really have that much money... Reisner is the first Volks doll I really love, I couldn't get him ever since he was first release because of the price.

YES! I got Homme Ducan in instead of the Limited version and I love him! He's my first dollie! And now my grail doll, Volks Reisner, is here now!

A bit... I'm spoiling my Ducan with clothes and shoes >3< My reisner is also getting a lot of my attention too.
      But I love all my dolls. I'm very careful with all of them :D

Not all... rarity also affects it? But it's a personal choice...

So far none...

:D :D :D

11. Heh, being an incurable LOTR nerd, I like The One Doll better than the term "Grail doll."

Have I ever had one? Well, I keep holding my breath for a SOOM Romantic Shadow Onyx. She's even haunted my dreams lately, which isn't something that happens often. I may be obsessing a bit. I've seriously considered buying a NS version since it's still available, but that would be like settling for an Oreo when you wanted cookies & cream ice cream. Not quite the same.

No, she's not in my collection yet. Maybe someday...I feel like cost is just one factor of The One Doll-ness. It could be a LE that was really unpopular when it was originally released (like Vesuvia), or a full-set version of something that has been split/sold off a lot. Onyx wasn't one of the more expensive SOOM MDs, because she didn't have any fantasy parts... but she's my The One Doll, and I hope to bring her home someday.

12. Have you ever had one, or not?
      Yes, I have had and have currently xD! Actually, I have two ;~; Soom Euclase and Dollshe Saint.

Not yet, but I am saving for a Saint :3

I don't think so... Maybe? I'd probably not leave them lounging around naked or headless :P

Well, the very term of 'grail' means something that is so rare it's almost priceless, just as the Holy Grail which it's named after. So... Yes. A grail doll is something, to me, that implies it's expensive / rare / something like that! It's different from a 'favourite' doll, it's the 'unreachable' doll.

I hope not, when (if) they arrive~!

13. To me, a "Grail Doll" is the centerpiece of a collection--the one you think would be the best representative/most presentable/most-likely-to-be-shown-off of your doll family, for whatever reason. Price is not a factor per se, but I won't lie--good accessories and such can boost the price of the "flagship" doll by quite a bit. Doll companies also tend to put the most effort into adorning their most expensive dolls as well, so I would think combined with the rarity, people would be more likely to choose them as their grail in the first place.

I do have a grail doll, but she isn't limited exactly; she's an FCS. She's also in the cheaper half of my girls. I find that I do treat her slightly differently than the others, but it's a weird combination of being more aggressive in some ways and more careful in others. But if I am bringing a doll out, there is a very good chance she will come along; the other girls rotate amongst themselves.

I call her my mascot. She's happens to be a child character, so I would like to eventually make a grown up version of her, which would then give me 2 grail dolls of the same character.

14. Have you ever had one, or not?

Yeah sorta. One of the first BJDs i saw and fell in love with was a Leekworld mable. She's just such a cutie. Her price though would be around 350 and at the moment is completely out of the question for my budget. So someday having that kind of money to spend on this hobby would blow my mind and i'd feel very accomplished being able to save up that much. So for me any BJD over $200 that i really want i consider a grail doll.

Nope not yet. not even close! O:

If i did have her i would not treat her differently. It would feel great to have her and it'd be a very magical moment but all my dolls are special to me and i love them all just as much.

Yeah for the most part. I consider a "grail doll" something i have to spend a lot of time saving up for and working towards. So if i like a cheaper doll as much as an expensive doll and buy the less expensive one right away i can't really consider her a grail doll if i didn't spend time working and saving for her. So it's not so much "expensive dolls" as "out of reach" dolls.

N/A
      however i don't think i would be if i got my current grail doll. :)

15. Have you ever had one, or not?
      Yes, two actually
      Narae is the first doll I found on my own, and no matter how many other dolls I thought I might like, I kept going back to her.
      Puki Sugar is the second doll I knew I really wanted, and again, I kept going back.

Yes. I have the Narae now and I'm waiting for the Sugar to arrive.

This one is not applicable to me, because I have only got the one doll at the moment ;)
      I had a feeling I may only ever get one, so I bought THE ONE.
      Though to be quite honest, since I got the Narae and had a plan to get the Sugar, I pretty much stopped looking at other dolls entirely - I haven't seen any other doll that I want to buy, so I guess I look at all dolls differently now that I have (or am waiting on) them.

Not at all. I think they are the doll that you desperately want, more than any other.
      Pukis are fairly inexpensive, and quite common, but I knew as soon as I saw them, I wanted one, and while I was slightly torn on which faceplate to get, I kept going back to Sugar.

Not yet! The company actually made a mistake and sent me the wrong faceplate for my Narae (I ordered one with an eye crease, and got one without), but I find the doll so beautiful, that it didn't matter in the slightest.
      Still waiting on the Sugar, but I don't think I'll be disappointed there. I've played with other people's Pukis enough to know what to expect.

16. Have you ever had one, or not? I suppose so, I have always loved Volks Four Sisters/F01 and it was a great happiness for me when I was finally able to realise that dream. I had the same feeling when I brought home my Volks YoSD Yuh. I suppose my Volks SDC Kurt was also a grail doll for me in that I wanted him as soon as I saw him!

If you have, have you finally managed to have it in your collection? Yes :)

Do you treat it differently to your other dolls? No. Each of my dolls goes through a period of being my favourite and then another doll will have a turn. I don't play en-masse, I tend to spend time photographing one doll at a time.

Do you only consider the very expensive dolls as Grail dolls? Expensive is relative in this hobby. All dolls are expensive considering people are working with different budgets. I think the 'grail' part for me has more to do with the adventure you have to go through to get your hands on the doll, rather than how much it cost you financially. My journey towards getting my SD Megu, Mafonwen, took a few twists and turns; I bought her head first and intended to have her share bodies with my Dollfie Dream, but she demanded a body of her own which took more searching again! My adventure towards bringing home my Yo was just as indirect; I traded a Minifee Rheia to Australia and in return my gorgeous Yo, Mari-chan, came all the way to Wales for me :) I had no plans to trade the Rheia, but I knew I wasn't bonding, so when I saw the trade advertised on the Marketplace I had to go for it!

Have you managed to buy your Grail doll, but then been disappointed in some way with it? Nope :)

17. Have you ever had one, or not?
      Yes. My current grail doll is the Volks Ian. I haven't seen one for sale in over seven years now :(
      I used to consider the yo-sd megu as a grail doll, but now that I've owned her and traded her off, I don't consider her one anymore.
      I had the yo-sd megu for awhile. I have yet to find Ian :(
      When I had the yo, I didn't treat her any differently than my others. I imagine Ian would get the same treatment as well.
      To me, a grail doll is something that would be nearly impossible to get, regardless of price.
      I had the yo-megu, and while she was very cute, she wasn't as wonderful as I'd hoped. I traded her for another El and I'm infinitely more satisfied.

18. Have you ever had one, or not?
      Yes, Glorydoll Louis.
      Not. ;_; He isn't for sale and I haven't found anyone selling him on the marketplace, either.
      Not at all, I think it depends on the person.

19. Have you ever had one, or not?
      -- I have indeed! I have had a few on my list. IP Tedros Circus Master, Volks Kakeru, MD Tan Ryu (on a volks body) and the EVER ELUSIVE Crobidoll Mikhail

-- I have managed to get the first three, but I have MISSED the Mikhail over 5 times - both second hand and when Crobi has rereleased him.

-- Not really, but they are dolls which I do not ever see leaving my collection.

-- Definitely not. I know someone who has one of my discontinued and rather rare dolls (Serendipity Valencia) as one of their grail dolls. Compared to a lot of my other dolls, this one was one of the cheapest! Personally, it just depends on who you are and what you like.

--
      So far, definitely not! None of my grail dolls have disappointed me. My Tan Ryu is on his way home right now and I sincerely doubt I'll be upset with him. ^_^

20. Have you ever had one, or not?
      Yep. Volks Nono Sweet Dream-ES :aheartbea:aheartbea
      Sort of... I have a SwD Nono head, but from a different release in a different skintone and with a different body. She is beautiful as I have her, but I always know she isn't the same doll I fell in love with. I don't realistically think I'll ever find the ES release of her. Doesn't stop me from checking Y!J occasionally though. I'm not sure what I'd do if I actually found her!
      My Pseudo-Grail doll stand in is my only dreaming head, so I think in that respect she gets treated differently. She still gets dressed up and displayed the same as the others though!
      No, however I think a grail doll is expensive enough that the person who considers it a grail doll is not able to order it/buy it on the spot the moment they first see it. Part of the appeal and elusiveness is usually a combination of a prohibitively high price and a lack of availability.
      If I ever find her, I will let you know! ;) However my pseudo stand in has yet to disappoint!