1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Your view on 'Grail Dolls'

Nov 13, 2010

1. Have you ever had one, or not?
      Uhm, I suppose yes and no. My one "Grail" doll is Volks Pearl but for a lot of reasons, I haven't really moved forward in trying to obtain her. For one, she's giant in comparison to my other dolls which are only 26cm or smaller. For that same reason, I don't have any clothes, eyes, or wigs in her size. I adore her sculpt, I really do, but I don't know if she's a "Grail" doll. If I wanted her that much, I could easily get her and her necessary accessories, but I would have to sell most of my other dolls and I'm not willing to; she doesn't mean THAT much do me, so I suppose she's not as much of a "Grail" doll as I thought she was because if she really was, I'd go to any reasonable extent to obtain her, and I won't.
      If you have, have you finally managed to have it in your collection?
      Nope but I also haven't really tried.
      Do you treat it differently to your other dolls?
      n/a
      Do you only consider the very expensive dolls as Grail dolls?
      Not necessarily but in my case, this is true. Volks Pearl is very expensive.
      Have you managed to buy your Grail doll, but then been disappointed in some way with it?
      n/a

2. Have you ever had one, or not?
      Yes, several in fact.
      I've managed to obtain one of them so far, my IoS ASYD Pinion. I was very lucky that IoS did another run of him when she came back from her year-long hiatus so I was able to snatch him up at retail. The IoS Gin that I have incoming could also have become a Grail doll if I hadn't found someone willing to sell him so quickly.
      In certain ways I do, he has a good deal more work put into him than any of my other boys. He doesn't get photographed or played with more though and sits on the doll shelf with everyone else.
      A doll that is very difficult to obtain for any reason AND that I spend at least a year wanting/searching for is a Grail doll. This can mean either in price or rarity, basically a doll you really really want and are willing to go through the extra money and effort to own. If the doll is super expensive then you have to decide if the cost is worth it- if it is you can probably save up and get it eventually, even if it takes a while. On the other hand, I have some unpopular out of production dolls on my wishlist that probably wouldn't cost half as much a Soom or Volks limited. Finding one for sale is the difficult part. Also sometimes its a doll that doesn't even exist yet and may never exist, like a Soom Minigem boy. If one of those is released I'll be able to buy him for a reasonable cost but I've been dying for one for years.
      Have you managed to buy your Grail doll, but then been disappointed in some way with it?
      No. Pinion is everything I hoped he'd be.

3. Have you ever had one, or not?
      ABSOLUTELY!
      YES!
      YES
      No.. then again I think ALL dolls are expensive...
      Her legs are a little loose and I don't feel like messing with her stringing... she did come out of the box perfect... looseness is probably my fault... BUT I LOVE HER!!!!
      Now for the other grail dolls....

4. Sorry to hear! I hope the sale goes well though!

5. A grail doll is only a grail doll until the next doll comes along.

6. Have you ever had one, or not?
      Yup. DollZone Quinn. Only doll I ever saw, wanted, and didn't think I'd ever actually manage to own.

He just came home this week. <3

Not really, no. He's been the focus of my attention since he only just arrived, but I don't really feel any inclination to give him special treatment.

Expensive, no. Rare and hard to find, yes. Expense is just a matter of saving up until you can afford something. But when a doll is no longer produced and you have to cross your fingers and hope that someone will put one up for sale... that's different.

I'm a little surprised that he's got light spots, since DZ tan usually doesn't have that issue, but he is a very old doll so I suspect they hadn't figured out the current process when he was made. :3

7. Have you ever had one, or not?
      Yes, Volks' Williams has been my only "grail" doll .

Thanks to a generous seller, I was able to bring his head home last July!

I had a definite idea of what I wanted Williams to look like, so he does get treated differently. He gets more time on the main doll sofa, he has more clothes, and he gets his clothes changed more often. If I need to try wigs on a boy doll, he's the first one I grab. He just gets more attention! :)

Well...yes. :XD: His rarity and price tag are what made him a "grail" doll, for me. For a long while I really thought he was unobtainable. If he had been readily available and less expensive, I could have just bought him without years of waiting, saving, and wishing. :doh

I haven't been disappointed with his sculpt at all! I don't really like the default face-up but hopefully that will be taken care of soon.

8. Then it wasn't a grail doll to begin with. I don't think you understand the meaning of "grail doll".

9. Only when the next grail doll comes along. ;)

They usually are the more expensive dolls, but it could also be a not so popular and now discontinued doll. I'm sure that a Dollshe Moon won't catch the same price on the secondary market as a Dollshe Bermann, but it will be hard to find one.

10. Have you ever had one, or not?
      No, I got all of my limited dream dolls the first time company release or get second hands fair price from market (cheaper than company sell, even he is a limited doll).
      If that dolls are so hard to get or so expensive. No matter how beautiful they are, I don't want them. I found they are not worth my time, money and mental health.
      I think no specific dolls that can make me happily ever after when I get them, so for me no Grail Dolls.
      (Actually for me, dolls that I really like them no matter how many time has pass are my Grail Dolls.)

N/A

N/A

No, if ther are popular they will cost a lot but some dolls are rare but not popular so they might inexpensive.

N/A

11. A grail doll is what got me into the hobby. For me it was Elfdoll Lydia, 1st ed. I didn't realize that "limited edition" meant it was truly limited (I was new to BJD). After she sold out, it took 8mos of trolling ebay to find her. It had turned into a quest.

The problem with this is, that I am expecting the same thing for my next doll, and it has made me excessively picky. The only other BJD that is very close, is DM Lusion. Her size and cost are issues, but she is my only "grail" doll. If I heard they were going to discontinue her, I am pretty sure that I would decide to get her.

12. All these answers are great, and are still showing me that Grail dolls mean different things to different people....

13. I have two so I put them both up ^^

1) (this one goes about Mephisto my ringdoll teenager) I was madly in love with the pictures ^^
      Have you ever had one, or not?
      Yes I have
      Yup
      Nope, my first BJD I ever bought stays my favorite ^^ (Kuroyami)
      Not specificly.. I bought Kuroyami on the dutch marketplace for 350 euro.. (around 400 dollar I guess)
      And he stays my favorite ^^
      Jup I have (it is Mephisto I'm talking about)
      And yes I was disappointed.. Because the face up was to shiny to my liking (extreme high gloss also on the eyelids ><) and he had really smal eyes I didn't expect o.O also his hands were not "as jointed" as I'd like.. (kuro's hands can move better)
      And his wig was kind of messed up.. (it wouldn't stay the way I wanted without a hairclip ><)
      But it's not that I don't love him!! =O

2) (this one goes about B&G: Loretta white cat limited edition) When I first saw her I was like: ZOMFGKFJSDKFJDP FIODJFSDOFIJSDOFIJSDOFIJDOSJFSOPDFJ I MUST HAVE HER!!!!!! OwO
      Have you ever had one, or not?
      Yes.. yes I have
      She is on her way now ^^
      I guess I will.. because she is pocketsize I can take her anywhere!! (26cm)
      Nope.. unless you call 329 dollars for a limited expensive..
      I don't have her yet.. the only thing I could be disappointed about is if she doesn't get the normal hands that you get with them.. or that her eyelashes are not placed properly.. or she is damaged in any way..

14. Have you ever had one, or not?
      Yes, Unoas and Unoa Chibi are my grails!

Hopefully i am soon an owner of an Unoa Chibi.....maybe christmas ^^

I don´t think so every doll is special!!!

Thats my problem.......my favour is too expensive.....^^

Hopefully i am not dissapointed with my Unoa Chibi ^^:aheartbea

15. Have you ever had one, or not?
      Yes! When I first got into the hobby, Volks' SDC Renee quickly became my grail doll.

I ended up getting her a few months after discovering her. :D

I take more photos of her than my other dolls. She also has a lot more clothing!

For me, a grail doll is one that you really want but is hard to get, either due to rarity, personal finances, or both. "Very expensive" is relative. For someone who has a lot of money, a grail doll at $1k might not be expensive to them - it may be more a matter of waiting until one eventually pops up in the market. For someone without a lot of money, a grail doll at $1k is not only very expensive, but also even more difficult to get, as he or she may not be ready to buy when one pops up.

I was a little disappointed with how poorly her eyes had been glued in and how insanely difficult they were to remove. Other then that, she's perfect!

16. I did have one. 1st Chris from Volks many many years ago....I never had it...

17. Have you ever had one, or not? I don't think I have had a grail in the BJD world, but there is a doll I really love but I'm still not sure if I will end up with.
      If you have, have you finally managed to have it in your collection? No.
      Do you treat it differently to your other dolls? I probably wouldn't.
      Do you only consider the very expensive dolls as Grail dolls? Not at all, my grail is pretty cheap compared to others.
      Have you managed to buy your Grail doll, but then been disappointed in some way with it? N/A

18. actually, the only reason why i got into dolls was because of a "Grail Doll" ~
      dolls are so expensive that i wouldnt' start collecting them if i didn't actually REALLY want one

so ~ yes, i've had one (or have rather) xD
      it's in my collection now ~ safe and sound !
      i don't treat it differently to my other dolls because apparently my other dolls are Grail Dolls too xD
      money is definitely irrelevant ~ if a doll is super expensive and not my taste, i wouldn't have got it; conversely, if a doll was cheap and i loved it so much, i would want it right away (in fact it would be even better ! to be able to acquire it at such a cheap price!)
      i love my dolls not because their expensive, but because i love them, it would be great if all my dolls only cost $1 (while everything else like quality stayed constant) ~ that would help my wallet lots xD

yes, i've been disappointed once with a Grail Doll of mine ~ the eyes were a little bit messed up but i'm fine with it, just have to becareful while taking photos, need particular angles to make her look good ~

19. Have you ever had one, or not?
      Yes, I have a few grail dolls.
      I have not acquired her yet.. I haven't even see if anyone has had her come in or not.

No, not really. But it seems to be the case.

20. Have you ever had one, or not?
      Yes I have. @-@
      Yes! I was able to find one on the marketplace. ^^
      No, not really. He is very special to me but I give them all love and attention.
      Not at all. I don't think price has anything to do with it, but how well the doll fits into my personal ideal of beauty. Have you managed to buy your Grail doll, but then been disappointed in some way with it?
      Nope. I am happy to say he is as beautiful and wonderful as I imagined. Poses extremely well also! Very pleased. ^^

One thing I will say is that while I have had a "grail doll" I do not think that there will be just one for me... or that one will be the end all for my collection. As new dolls come out and my tastes change I think there will always be the chance. Not a good thing or a bad thing, just the nature of... well... me. XP