1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

You've got ALL the dolls you want-- What Next???

May 4, 2011

1. I don't really have a list of characters I need to shell, or grail dolls I want to own. For me, I really just want to customize dolls, not have a huge collection, so I'd love to do faceups for people, or make wigs, clothes, or accessories. My dream, which may never come to be, is to customize dolls into OOAK masterpieces complete with hand-sewn clothes, custom faceups, etc., and sell them to people who will love them. That way I'd get to express myself creatively but won't have to deal with a huge collection of dolls. :D If I did have many dolls, they'd probably just sit around, since I'm not much a photographer, and I don't know what to do with them outside of customizing them and making stuff. :sweat

2. I've set my own personal limit on thirteen dolls. No more! Thirteen is a magical number for me and if I went to fourteen, I would have to go all the way to 26 or 39 (multiples of thirteen). I couldn't afford that! So I have a wishlist of thirteen and if I get the desire to shell another character, then I have to choose which ones on my list NOT to shell.
      It may be very difficult but I feel that when my collection is complete I will have as many looks and personalities as I could want!
      After this, I would like to work on clothes, sets and furniture for them. That's where my energy will go after that.

3. Hm, well, I don't exactly shell my OCs, so that will never be a problem for me. However, space is a big concern-- and with that said, I don't think I could manage a collection much larger than what I've already got (five full dolls and two heads).

So, already I am learning how to sew for them, and have put more of my creative energies into doing face-ups and body blushing. As tempting as many gorgeous dolls are, sometimes it's better to just enjoy them from afar and see what other people do with them. There's also something really nice about getting to know a doll's character over a period of years. My first and oldest doll has been here for three years (which I know isn't that long), and I am still completely fascinated with her.

4. I've been at that point, and what happened was that gradually, as doll companies changed their offerings to sizes and sculpts I thought better suited some of my characters, they were reshelled. I'm waiting on a doll now that is a character I've had shelled for years, and I hope she'll be it because I'm really sick of buying and selling (and waiting), but who knows?

Then I got a few of my dolls repainted, and started working on their wardrobes (sewing and buying some of the items I'd wanted for them but had always put off while I put money towards other dolls). I have grand plans to finally get around to some of those manicures and tattoos I've been meaning to do, and some of those complicated photos I wanted to take but needed all of my characters for. It's hard in this hobby not to always have that "new shiny," but there's so much you can do with the dolls you own, it's really a shame that we all end up trailing after that new dolly high.

I have no intention of leaving, but I'd like to work on things other than acquiring.

5. Even in the far off chance I'd become bored of them, I have a friend who wouldn't let me hahaha!

That being said, I dun think I ever will. There are far too many things to do after you get all your dollies (apart from the fact new ones keep getting released), that I dunno, I think it's kinda hard to get bored of them haha~
      I'd like to be a dealer one day or something along those lines hahaha (my friend suggested it today actually, all jokingly). But that'll be like after I win the lottery or become that artist that will sell her painting for millions hahaha!

6. I have almost reached my limit with dolls. I have 8. Maybe 3 or so more. I would concentrate on all those lovely limited outfits. There are some wonderful Pirate, 17th Centuary, Victorian, Goth, Steampunk, tailored suits etc. Just love the details a few of the pros do. I make my own outfits too, but I love getting ready made stuff fresh from the mail. I find maintaining my dolls just as important as getting new ones.

7. I cannot wait for this day. When I have all the resin I want, I will buy them so. much. clothes. XD Anyway, more than they have now.

I've been in the hobby since 2008, and I have somewhere between 15-20 dolls. I used to be so gung ho about getting new ones, but now I kind of wish I had about 8 dolls instead of this huge collection. It's too many for me to customize and accessorize, and I don't have time to play with them all. So I have been toying with the idea of culling the collection down to the ones I can't do without (well, you know what I mean) and using the profits to spoil them absolutely rotten. The problem with this plan is that there are still about 4-6 dolls I would love to have XD

It's funny how your priorities change.

8. I cannot even tell you how many times I thought I had all the dolls I wanted. However, something always seems to change, so even when I think the collection is good, someone leaves, someone else comes. Even though I just want to be done buying or selling and enjoy the dolls I have, I find there's always a bit wanting and a bit of letting go.

9. I don't think there's any way I will ever get all the dolls I want. As others have said, there are always new dolls coming out, and even in those spaces where there aren't any, the dolls I have could always use new clothes to buy, or new supplies for face ups. I have a feeling I will be buying for this hobby for forever.

10. I think that if I ever really completed my collection, I would keep buying clothes and maybe upgrade my dolls bodies to taller ones!

11. Right now, I have all the dolls I want for one particular 'family' group... they belong to the same little world in my head, and whilst I could endlessly add characters, I think 7 in this set is enough! So my goal for now, before I start another 'set', is to get them all face-uped, dressed and styled how I want them and take loads of photos :) That is going to take a while!!!

But of course... I already have my next set of dolls planned for after that... :XD:

12. I haven't been in the hobby long enough to know for certain, but the only other hobby I ever had was collecting stamps when I was in elementary school. A LONG time ago. I had no idea I could have so much fun! I fell hard, and bought MANY dolls in a mad race,,,
      to I don't know where.
      ...The cardboard box behind the Ross store? ;) I might end up homeless, but I will take at least ___, Hmmm, how many do you suppose a shopping cart will hold? Dolls with me, to walk around pushing our overflowing cart together. It will contain bags of wonderful things with great creative potential no doubt. I will be the artistic BAG LADY.

I thought by now I could choose my top favorites and begin selling. Having a hard time with that, and daily I see new dolls that have just something so special...I will begin customizing and sewing, and making/painting/refinishing props for them. IF I can ever slow down with the buying. [Seriously] WHEW. Who needs therapy when they can buy another doll. hee-hee

13. That time will never come. Doll companies will keep making new dolls I want and new dolls will fit my characters better, so they'll be in need for a replacement. But let's say it did happen.
      I don't know, how I would feel. Maybe a little empty. I like the feeling of buying and waiting for a doll a lot, but after some time I would start buying clothing and other things my dolls need.

14. I think that if I got all the dolls that I want that I could stay more than busy with photoshoots and costuming. There is SO much that I want to do that I imagine I could busy with it for a decade or two!

15. If I was done? Then clothes and photoshoots! More Photoshoots...lots of them! I am still short of characters in my main story.

16. I can hardly see myself having all the dolls I'd want so it would not end at that. If I would I propably would end up sculpting my own dolls as well as trying to get single artist greated dolls.

I would also go on sewing etc. and greating photostories. Making inside places to those photostories as well as photoshoots etc. So I'd hardly stop at "getting all the dolls I want" :mwahaha

17. I guess in this hypothetical case, then I'd start buying WIGS! I love wigs UXD And then eyes and shoes and clothes and... It never ends, you know ;)

18. Right now I'm not interested in new dolls, either I've lost my interest in BJDs or have not seen another doll that catches my eye...I think both cases are right but I have not lost interest in my current dolls, they are special to me and I sincerely love them. So, now that I have all the dolls I could possibly want and I'm content with them, what's next? just enjoy them :) and spoil them a lot. I still love to buy clothes and shoes and things for them, I think they have more clothes and shoes than my whole family lol so I just enjoy their company whenever I can (and take lots of pics).

19. Despite their being four more dolls on my Saving/Wishlist, I am in no dire rush to obtain them and as such feel pretty content with my crew and would probably not be too sad if I never bought the other dolls (except perhaps the single girl doll I have planned). I have the main cast of my beloved stories, I'm pretty set with them and don't really see myself creating a new character who I will come to love enough to want to shell in resin. As such, my dolls have sort of been put on the back burner for awhile and I'm pretty okay with that. I've devoted a lot of time and money in them these past few years and now I think it's time to focus on myself again, updating my own personal wardrobe and other activities I enjoy. My dolls aren't locked away and every so often when the perfect item for one crops up I nab it up, but I'm not on the intentional hunt for these things as I used to be. I find myself going in rounds, as my dolls still have a lot of work to be done, including face-ups and mods for them all, and most of them only have one outfit. I do plan to further enhance their wardrobes, invest in some really high quality eyes for each of them, collect more wigs (just because I'm a wig fiend and love them) and ultimately work on building extensive backdrops/dollhouse area for them, but I feel these projects are the kind that should be worked on over a long period of time as new things are always coming out, so I'm in no rush :)

20. As someone who IS done, I like to practice sewing clothes for him! (Yes, just one doll! And my boyfriend can't convince me to get another one.) I'm not always on the hunt for clothes like I used to, but I'm always on the hunt for inspiration for clothes to make and photoshoots. I also need to find him a high quality pair of eyes. And last but not least, I still have to send him out for mods before he's actually complete. After all that, I like to relax at the end of the day with him in my arms. :)