1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Zombie Tinies - Bad Taste?

Mar 9, 2010

1. If you're into zombie kids, you should check out Living Dead Dolls, which I also collect. The archive on their webpage shows previous dolls from that line, and the doll 'Deadbra Anne' sounds close to what you described.

As far as your idea, I say go for it, just take care w/the particulars, but it sounds like you're already mindful of that.

2. I think it is okay as long as she is not representing a real dead child. That is disrespectful.

3. I personally find zombie children to be just as disturbing as living children--LOL! :D

Now in all seriousness, if you're unsure of how you personally might feel if you go through with it then it's probably best to avoid the connection. After all, you're the one that'll have to live with the mod and it would be a waste of a doll to wind up with something that gives you the screaming heebie jeebies. Maybe you can give her bright red hair and green eyes to cut out the resemblance to the victim you cited? Also, maybe something inspired by little-girl-pageants but not a "princess" would work for the costume instead--say a ballerina or a little sailor outfit. That would be equally cute, youthful, and appropriate for your initial idea.

4. I misread the title at first and thought it was asking if Zombie Tinies taste bad....

It's your doll. Do with it what you want. Certainly there are consequences to your actions but at the end of the day, it's yours. Don't worry about what other people think.

5. Hmm, personally I think an undead tiny beauty queen is a kinda cool concept... pageant children *REALLY* creep me out, hence I think zombifying one would be a double dose of creepiness, combined with the fact BJDs can be a little creepy already :XD: Yes, the link to a VERY famous murder case is unfortunate, but I don't think it should stop you going through with your idea.

6. That would be.. SO... AWESOME.
      Do it.
      I don't think anyone would draw the comparison once you actually made the doll, because tinies don't look like JonBenet even when they're all up in cute little pageant dresses, which they often are. But I guess if you're still worried, you could make her a brunette or a redhead. (If she looks more like Sherley Temple than JB, you'd probably be in the clear.)

7. I too thought of Living Dead Dolls right away. I know those are so popular with a lot of people, but others just can't stand the creep factor of a zombie on top of a doll.

I think it's fine whatever you want to do to your own doll, but you have to proceed on the awareness that if you do something "controversial" rather than just a conventional, pretty, cute child doll, some people will likely think it's icky or in bad taste or just not like it. If that's not going to bother you, then more power to you. But if you're going to be feeling bad all the time about how other people don't like your doll, then don't do it.

8. Even though you clarified your position, I would still say tweak your design a little if the connection still bothers you. I mean, once you 'see' something, you can't un'see' it again, right?

And generally, no, zombie kids aren't bad taste ;) If you wanted to look at it logically, it's not just adults that can be affected by the zombie virus, but kids, babies and animals too. Not that I'm saying that zombies are real lol, but you know what I mean.

9. In general, I enjoy them...I have two of DD-Anne's zombie dolls, in fact. But, there being a personal connection to the "model" for the doll does sort of creep me out. But, you should follow your muse and create the doll you want, regardless of what your friends think.

10. background story aside? it's something that i would do. i just love that kind of juxtaposition. perhaps keeping that story to yourself might be the best idea, and not bringing it up with the people who knew her.

11. It seems perfectly fine to me. -shrug- As long as you aren't paralleling her to Ramsey then I see nothing wrong.

12. I think there's always room for a bit of variety in hobbies. Grotesque and cute can go together nicely (e.g. Junko Mizuno's manga works). The Alice in Wonderland theme is a good model to work off of.

13. It's sad, really, because it only takes one person to say, "you know, that looks just like...." to ruin something forever. Like when someone says of a favorite song "it sounds like he said...." and then that's all you hear ever again. I hate that!

I like the idea, but if you're worried about others making the same association, maybe you could do her as less of a beauty queen and more of a princess kind of look. A Zombie Princess has sort of a nice ring to it. A sceptor with a little skull on it would be cute for her outfit, too!

14. Totally seconding this. (And add on to people commenting on dA that your doll looks like so-and-so from this-and-this anime/manga/movie/book series/whatever... It always generates a "-_-;;;;" reaction from me. >>;;; )

For for the OP: I don't think that it's your fault that other people see connection to something else; it's not what you intended and people always see things differently. Besides that, this is your own doll and I would seriously love to see what a zombie tiny would look like.

In a way, it's similar to this quote: Do what ye will, but harm ye none. Your doll, your interpretation, your interest. You don't mean to harm anyone, and you just want to see your artistic interest come to life. I don't see anything wrong with that, so I also toss in my vote for "Do it! :D"

15. I can see where people would find that in bad taste, or offensive (even without the Ramsey connectionn), but as for me, my first reaction is "OMG CUTE!!!" The further explanation helps to eliminate the offensive nature. I say go for it. It's your doll, and your money. I wouldn't let the sensitivities of others stop you from doing what you want. If we did that, we would never progress - either as people or as artists.

16. My issue is that there are a lot of OTHER children out there that have blue eyes, blond hair, tiny chins and all the other quite common features many of the world's little girls have. JonBenet isn't the only little girl with blue eyes and blond hair, we have three girls that come to daycare that could easily resemble JonBenet if you were to dress them in pagent attire and give them that big hair look. I think you need to shrug off the comments your friends gave you, and just go with your original idea. Actually, I'd question why your friends would even bring JonBenet up at that point of time. I find that to be in bad taste.

There will always be those naysayers and party poopers. This is why I don't show anyone my drawlings for planned mods, I always get a downpour on my parade too.

17. I think it sounds totally cute (though the resemblance is unfortunate, I think if the doll you chose doesn't resemble her the way your art style did, it should be fine). It reminds me of Junko Mizuno's art-- grotesque but adorable.

=^__^=
      Anneko

18. I say "do it"! Are you going to let other people hold back your artistic expression?

19. I think ideas themselves aren't necessarily bad ideas. It's generally the execution and end result that shows whether or not you did the right choice.

20. I have to say I agree with Rook. To me, it's more in bad taste that they made the connection between a zombie child and Ramsey. Especially if they knew about how you met her.