1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Zombie Tinies - Bad Taste?

Mar 9, 2010

1. If the doll doesn't resemble a real person at all, then I don't see how it could possibly be "in bad taste". People like what they like. Personally, I think the doll you described in your first post sounds adorable. To be fair, I grew up with Tim Burton, and cute things wearing pretty dresses with eyes hanging out of the sockets is not bizarre at all.
      I mean, it's a doll. It's not, as someone stated above, you "playing with a dead child". These dolls are made of resin, they don't look 100% realistic, and they're certainly not real people. Of course actually playing with a dead child would be.... disturbed and incredibly "tasteless" (obviously), but the fact of the matter is that tinies - for all their big-eyes cuteness - are not real children. They're dolls, and once you've bought one, it's your doll, and you can do with it what you please.

2. Sorry, but I disagree. There IS such a thing as something "being in bad taste".
      While I have no real problem with the topic of a zombie tiny, I actually enjoy a
      good (or bad) zombie flick now & then, BUT there are things that one might do
      to a doll that IS in bad taste, all you need is an imagination to realize this. And
      just because something might be considered "ingenious" to others does
      NOT make it alright. There are people, sick people, who are enamored by serial
      killers and admire their "work" does that make it OK? I hope no one here thinks
      so. Yes this is pretty far OT, but I'm trying to show how all-encompassing that
      comment is.

Anyhow, back OT, I'm not bothered by the thought of a zombie tiny. After all
      it's pure fiction. Why should a child zombie be any worse than an adult one?
      Also, how might a zombie tiny be "impolite"? Yes, if she sculpted a doll to
      look identical to JonBenet then proceeded to zombie it out AND then showed
      it to someone close to the family THAT would be impolite (among other things)
      I could be wrong, but by what she said it didn't seem like they were best friends
      ....it could be upsetting, sad, even scary to know someone who died so young &
      in such a terrible way....but traumatic? I'm not sure it applies here, but maybe we
      should ask questions before presuming things. Perhaps her initial reason to want a
      zombie tiny was subconscious *shrugs* only she knows for sure and it's not quite
      anyones business imo.

As long as the reason for wanting to style a doll like that isn't motivated by a morbid
      desire to harm children &/or bring them back from the dead:sweat I don't think it's a
      big deal. But maybe I should see someone about that.

3. I don't think there is anything wrong with that. People glamorize death all the time, and lots of horror movies include children. What in the heck is scarier than a dead kid? Have you seen The Shining? I say do it, it'll be fun!

4. I say go for it. I think I would rather my child be a zombie than a pagent girl. Those fake teeth freak the heck out of me. I thank my mother every day that she didn't let me be in them even though I kept getting all those invitations. XD

5. Doesn't sound tasteless to me.
      Sounds downright adorable really.
      Besides, it's your doll, if you like how it comes out, why not turn it into a beaten and bruised undead abomination?

6. It never would have occurred to me to draw that conclusion either. I remember who JonBenet was, but it's not something that I really think about, and considering the amount of time that has passed, I wouldn't have made the leap to compare a doll to her.

I like zombies, therefore no, I don't find zombie dolls tiny or big to be in bad taste. It's all in fun the same way cheesy horror flicks are fun. Sometimes people read way to much into what people do with their dolls, and this is one of those many times when it should be made clear that people should do whatever they want to their own dolls.

The problem is bad taste is a largely subjective term. What I find to be bad or good taste maybe entirely different from someone else, same with the stuff you do/don't like.

7. Thing is, you're in no position to judge-- if the doll/content is within the forum rules, why do you get to be the one who decides? We aren't talking about things that break laws or forum rules; there is no bright line available for this, so you can't make the claim that "something just IS in bad taste". That's the whole thing about art/taste being subjective. Like, I don't like chocolate. There's nothing you can do or say that'll convince me it's a good taste. And it doesn't matter whether you think it's a good taste, and it doesn't matter that you think you're right because a lot of other strangers on the internet agree with you. The simple fact remains that I don't find it a good taste, but you do.

Wow... if you are the sort of person who thinks someone owns a zombie doll because of an innate desire to kill children & try to resurrect them from the dead.... wow, what else can one say? The same sort of people usually think that videogames makes kids go out and kill people, or that Vladimir Nabokov was a pedophile because he wrote "Lolita". There is no convincing that sort of person about the way the world actually works.

All I can say is that I have spoken to Zombie Babies creator DD-Anne many times via email, and followed her blog for a long time, and she has just never struck me as a necromancer type.

8. I don't think there's anything Bad Taste about Zombie tinies,or Zombie Pageant Queen tinies, sounds really cute actually, it's just fun

BUT...

... with the background you have given, about your link to JBR (however tenuous) and the fact that your friends are seeing parallels in your drawings already, it's a shame because you have a good idea but your previous slight connection to the family mean I think it could be bad taste for YOU to make a zombie doll that's into beauty pageants. If people close to you continue to make those comparisons you will wind up having to defend your doll and your intentions over and over again. You could end up hating the doll.

In the end nobody can decide but you, but if it was me, I'd modify my dolls character, not the Zombie part just the pageant queen, so the connections won't be made in the first place.

9. I think you should go for it, a zombie kid would be amazing :D

I don't think, if you didn't intend it- there should be any link to JBR at all, we can't attribute a zombie girl with a tiara, blue eyes and blonde hair to a specific person- because that's just silly. While it was a horrible thing that happened, and if you intended to make the doll of her I would definately be against it- it doesn't seem that way at all to me, and so I think you should go ahead with it :)

10. Oh my god those are adorable and I think the term you're looking for is Necrophiliac.
      A Necromancer is a kind of wizard.

11. If you dressed a living child as a zombie every day and taught it to eat flesh, I would be concerned.

If you dressed a doll like a zombie, I would ask to take pictures and hug you.

12. I don't know, I like the idea, not so much because I'm a big fan of gore mods, but I love contradictions and things you wouldn't expect. A little zombie that wants to be a beauty queen is a really adorable, curious idea. I think since the connection was not made by you, I think it's fine. Other people drawing parellels shouldn't keep you from doing what you want.

13. Oh it doesn't really matter. If you shared your concept with other folks who knew the family then, yeah, it was probably bad taste to show them the design. Your art, however, is your own. TONS OF ART IS DONE IN BAD TASTE. It doesn't make it bad art. As a matter of fact sometimes such art is a way of processing tragic events and in an important part of the healing process for folks.

In the grand scheme of things hundreds of thousands of people are dying everyday of all shapes and sizes and millions have died before us. This would make the concept of the undead, zombies, vampires, etc all in bad taste. Worrying about what other people think or making everyone happy/appealing to their sense of approval is about as effective as spitting into the wind. All the same, it'd probably be a tactful not to share your vision with those who were directly impacted by such a traumatic event.

14. Urm, i think you got the word wrong too, its mis-spelt but if you're trying for what i think you are that's a person who abuses dead bodies!

15. Necrophilia, also called thanatophilia and necrolagnia, is the sexual attraction to corpses
      Wikipedia
      HURRAH FOR INFODUMPING.
      Unless I've misunderstood your point.

16. Uhh, no, I meant necromancer. Bringing children back from the dead is necromancy.

17. Ah then I misread you too!
      Apologies.

18. No worries-- and, for the record, DD-Anne never struck me as the necrophiliac OR necrophagist type, either. :XD: Her blog talks about her cat, and her new studio, and her family events, and how much sandpaper it takes to sand one Lotus Near.... it's TOTALLY missing the stuff you'd expect, about having to look at all the delicious children in her neighborhood every day & how much willpower it takes to keep her from hunting them down and ripping them apart with a meathook. I mean I just don't get that vibe from the owner of the Fairy Garden. (And her zombie babies are so effing cute!!)

19. ...and for the record, a necrophagist is an eater of the dead. I quite agree with JN that DD-Anne doesn't seem to be that, either.

20. I've never made a meal out of any BJDs so far, but I don't imagine any of them would be too tasty, regardless of whether they are a zombie-mod or not. Plus, the resin/paint/etc probably isn't very healthy for you. If you do decide to eat one, you probably want to use a lot of sauce (barbecue, teriyaki, honey mustard or wherever your tastes lie) to make it a bit more palatable. Bon appetit!

[​IMG]