1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

1 Piece, 2 Piece High, 2 Piece Low, or 3 Piece Torso, which do you Prefer?

Jun 4, 2008

?
  1. One Piece Torso

2. Two Piece High Torso (Ribs joint)

3. Two Piece Low Torso (Hip Joint)

4. Three Piece Torso

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. Really it's a toss-up for me between high or low 2 piece or 3 piece bodies. I've seen all of them done nicely & just as many done awkwardly so it really depends on the doll itself. I'm not fond of 1 piece bodies as I like the extra posability of multipiece bodies though I do have a Ruru & her body is lovely & smooth without the extra joint. But my other smaller dolls with 1 piece bodies all ended up getting sold.

2. I love the three-part torso; because of the mobility and because I think it looks nice. (but hey, I like it that my doll looks like a doll)

3. I absolutely hate the hip joint on dolls. I've gone out of my way to avoid those bodies and find another alternative. They're just so entirely useless =/

4. Definetly A 3 piece high! With a nice upper chest joint just under the pecs/breasts and a slim hip joint <3 That makes the best and cutest poses ever :D

5. I like a split torso around the ribs. My favorite part of a guy is his lower abdomen so I don't want a joint breaking up the line of the body there.

6. My preference is dependent on how well the joints are made, with an equal split between how well the dolls pose and how good they look - which makes it quite difficult to vote. :sweat Well designed and made joints can look great to me.

I have little interest in One piece torsos, they are far too limited in movement for my tastes. I have seen both two piece and three piece torsos that I think are lovely - I have at least one of each myself - but I have one pet dislike which is purely aesthetic. I do not like the look of the under-bust joint on female dolls which seems to be all the rage at the moment. I will admit, as in the case of MNF active line, they can make for great posing opportunities but I just can't get past the odd look of that joint. *_* Weird huh? :)

7. Which type of Body type do you prefer? I loathe waist jointed only bodies, can tolerate three part bodies, but prefer two part ones with a chest joint. most of my dolls are really relaxed characters, they are mostly rock musicians so the ability to slouch is important. I actively try to rid myself of those that have hip joints only, and only have them if that was the only option at the time. I only have three now, and all three characters are defined as having good posture so I can live with it, the rest I have traded out.

For what reasons? Aesthetic, mobility, simple preference. Certain poses and I just prefer the aesthetic, I like that nice smooth belly and hip better than a smooth chest line. I find chest joints make fitting pants easier too.

What do you feel are the pros and cons of each type? well chest and three part joints allow for slouching and relaxed poses, and chest only joints have smooth hips, while the waist joint suits those who will be bare chested a lot. Personally I see very little benefit in waist only joints.

8. I would never get a one piece body, but either two or three pieces provides the mobility that I want in a doll. The only problem is if the seams are visable with the clothing types that the doll wears. A female doll, I prefer a higher joint, while I prefer lower ones on males.

9. definitely two piece high. its amazing how natural they look when posing, i can get my dollmore dolls to slouch their shoulders and jut out their hips while standing...none of my other dolls can do that, not even the 3 piece. B&G has almost got it, but its more in the middle and the difference is noticable...and the low ones can barely sit without help =_=

10. Which type of Body type do you prefer?
      For pleasantly plumper dolls, I prefer the underbust joint. For sslightly slimmer dolls, I love the look of 2 parts torso with a waist joint or a 3 parts torso. I honestly like the look of a 3 parts torso quite a lot, feel dollish to me. But 3 part torso is the most number of pieces I can stand, more and it look oddly segmented to me, like a centipede.
      For what reasons?
      Aesthetically speaking, a more matured body doll generally look better to me with a underbust joint and nothing more. But a slimmer doll, 2 parts and 3 parts torso look more doll like to me. And I love the look of 2 or 3 parts torso on a doll. So it is mostly aesthetic and personal preference.
      Pros and Cons
      Can pose wonderfully with 2 or 3 parts torso (excluding underbust joint) but since I like the look, not much cons. Except that with bad jointing mechanism, it can be real hard to put it in a solid pose.
      I dislike the 1 part torso. They are pretty indeed, but the posing is limited to only the limbs, and I don't like comprising that much on posing ability.

11. I like the two-part torso. I've been able to own one doll with a 2-piece, and one with a 3-piece. Stephen (the BBB Apollo, with the 3-piece) keeps falling out of his hips. It might be that he's so loose, but it gets annoying to have to stop what I'm doing if I'm carrying him, to set him back into his joints.

Even when Emma (my DM Kid with the 2-piece) loosely strung, she's still been pretty put together and not much of a fuss at all. She slouches very easily, and stay that way if I decide to pick her up.

I liked the look of the one-piece torsos, but I could never think about getting one until I wanted to get a Yo-sized doll; I wanted a Lati Green, which have single jointed torsos, but it might not be so difficult.

12. Which type of Body type do you prefer? I prefer the two piece, high joint, but the top piece has to be curved under the ribs, like BBD. I really hate the straight across right under the pecs, it looks like boobs on a boy to me...lol

For what reasons? Aesthetic, mobility, simple preference. All of the above. It seems this way tends to pop out a lot less and allows some slouching. right along the rib line seems most natural and you still get pretty pretty hips!

What do you feel are the pros and cons of each type?

1 piece - looks good and seamless in standing pose // very little mobility
      2 piece high - looks most realistic if along rib cage, good for slouching, pops out the least // not as much mobility as 3 piece, line under the pecs visible separates the torso and looks like a bra line to me
      2 piece low - good for leaning forward at the hip // pops out easily, not very practical, not pretty with lowrise pants
      3 piece - best mobility // least realistic, middle piece often pops out on some companies

13. Reviving another old thread about jointing!

I think we're now seeing more of a trend towards three-piece torsos, and also two-piece torsos jointed directly under the bust, not at the ribs. My preference is for a two-piece "ribs" joint on all dolls except tinies, who are fine with the one-piece torso. ^^

14. Most definitely three-piece! They have the best posing and while they might not look the best (especially with low-rise pants), the posing is worth it. If I had to go for a two-piece, I'd prefer a lower joint. I tend to use my dill's hip joint more than her chest joint, anyway. Though chest joints do look the most natural out of the choices. I guess I'd be okay with just a chest joint, but eh...

15. Which type of Body type do you prefer? One piece high joint torso.

For what reasons? Aesthetic, mobility, simple preference.
      It is more related to just watching people just trying to deal with more then one join torso joints. I always see a problem with there doll sitting up tor getting to said pose hey want. I also never see my self bend such away that would be needed for a doll to bend. There are no poses I would want them to do. This also could do with me personally how I can bend. So it relates to how I would pose or would want to. (Some things I would never do. Not because I can't but because there is no point to.) I also realized that some of the other joints don't really do enough for me to even want them. So just having a high torso joint fits me just fine. I do also like the look of it better. (But that's more related to I like the look of the New Dream of Doll's DoT new girl size body over all.)

I think the pro's are they are less joints to worry about all messing up. As well as it does not show like the other joints do. Down side would be having less points of articulation. Having more joints two three or so on gives you more points of articulation. down side though Is it makes the doll harder to stand harder to pose the way you want to with out messing with the other joint. As well as it shows more if there are more points of articulation.

Take note: I only own one bjd right now. I only ever seen one bjd In real life and only ever held one bjd.(At least for now.) For me its mainly about how the over all body looks and what poses would I really use. If I like a doll enough or would fit a story of mine then I would get it. So I am not limited by which doll I get if it had more joints or not.

16. I definitely prefer three-piece, but everything is going towards two piece now! It's infuriating! My 5Star has a three piece and it is the BEST thing ever because she is the most posable doll out there, it seems. Otherwise, without 3 pieces, dolls just don't seem real.

17. Which type of Body type do you prefer?
      I prefer the two piece torso (high-middle)
      Because I've found that a lot of three piece torsos out there have no use for the hip joint so it just ruins the aesthetic for no reason. With torsos around the waist (not under-bust), you're sure of about what kind of mobility they'll have, and it looks nice, even when posing, imo~
      Well, one piece looks great usually, and for those who photoshop joints out of photos, well, less joints to photoshop. Of course, no mobility.
      The two-piece torsos have a great mobility while they still look great. I can't think much of a con for it...
      Three piece usually aims to have the most mobility (a lot of them fail though). There are a lot out there that are awsome still though (like Loongsoul).

18. Yay for thread revival!

Which type of Body type do you prefer?
      I'm not big into posing, but I like to have the option, so 3 parts is good. Of course, just because there's a joint there, doesn't mean it's a USEFUL joint! I've had some jointed bodies that I never move out of the base position because they just don't look right or work well...

One part bodies--not good, even for someone who doesn't get their dolls in extreme positions, like me. It just seems so STIFF.

Hip or Rib joint-- I was used to the hip joint and rather liked it for some movement, but also for the aesthetics. Now, I don't mind rib joints for the extra movement. There's also the slighter difference between RIB and UNDER-BUST/PECS joints... I can see the latter for aesthetic reasons, but I often don't like how they look... Sometimes they make pecs look too much like female breasts on guys, and sometimes they just don't look like they'd work as a moveable joint. So, unless they are done just right, I have preferred the joints slightly lower on the ribs...

All of the above! Sometimes one or the other... but they all might factor in!

NO JOINT:
      Pros: aesthetics, maybe... You'd have to really like your doll lying about with few clothes on to worry about this, though!
      Cons: very stiff! Even for a non-pose type, I don't think I'd like a non-jointed body AT ALL.

HIP JOINT:
      Pros: aesthetics... if you worry about how your doll looks without clothes, or with a bare chest...
      Cons: slightly stiff. No slouching, not much twisting. But it's OK... better than no joint at all, anyway.

RIB JOINT:
      Pros: as a single joint, I'm not sure if this is much better than the hip joint, posing-wise.
      Cons: not so good aesthetically.

2 JOINTS:
      Pros: if they are well-made, definitely greater posing ability
      Cons: if not well-made, can look ugly and not be great for posing, either!

19. I prefer 3 piece, but only one of my 3 bjds has one. The other two have double-jointed torsos with high joints. Those work well for changing them from slouching to sitting up straight, but I don't really ever lean them to the right or left. My 3-joint boy is really good at leaning every which-way, and he's so darn manly. :D I don't feel the lines get in the way of the aesthetics.

20. for girls, I tend to prefer the one-piece torso, I think the unbroken line is nice and poseability is not really something I care too much about (as long as the doll can sit and stand) but there have been some two-piece torsos (waist-joint) that I like
      for boys, I like two-piece torsos (a bit higher than the waist)

I don't like the way that the lower hip/torso joints look and don't like three-piece torso bodies no matter how amazingly poseable they are