1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

100% Permanent Face-Ups and Body Blushing?

Oct 2, 2009

1. If I had dolls for my well-set characters that aren't going to change appearance (aside from hair styles/colors), I'd go permanent for them. Otherwise... I'm not big on face-ups in general.

2. Would you do this? Why or why not?
      No; I'm not good enough at faceups and whatnot to want it permanent! Yikes!

Would you buy a doll with this treatment? Would you opinion change if it was an anthro painted to be the species it was sculpted as?
      Not likely. My favorite part about this hobby is the complete customization. Unless the doll was simply stunning, I want to wipe it down and make it my own. I won't even send my dolls out to have someone else do their blushing because then it's not mine.

3. Having a face up be permanent sounds pretty good, so long as you think you'll always be in love with that face up on that doll. It's a nice way to never lose the quality of a really good face up. I would do it if I knew that I could be content with a doll looking a certain way forever. It seems pretty practical if you've got a specific look on the body that you want to maintain despite a lot of handling as well, such as leopard spots or something.

4. How would you make the face-ups/body blushing permanent?

5. I guess my question would be, "What the heck are you using to do your faceup?" I've never heard of one that couldn't be removed, unless someone really messed up.

I would hope at doll meets that the attendees would be respectful of your dolls, and treat them with care.

I have a Volks Piccadilly Lucas from March 2003 and his faceup is as wonderful as the day he arrived. No marks, no rubs, no chips and the weather here changes a lot.

6. How the HECK is this even a debate? There's nothing to debate- Permanent faceups are impossible unless you stain them blotchily into the resin somehow, thereby ruining the doll. The POINT of BJDS is that you can customize them again and again, and that nothing done to them is all that permanent.

7. I would have no wish to do this. I do my own doll's body blushing and find it fun and a good bonding experience. I've already redone one of my dolls a couple of times and each time it looks better than the last! I do send my dolls out for faceups but I have yet to have any of them redone and I'm careful enough around their faces that non have been damaged so far. I do actually look forward, one day, to sendin them in to get a new faceup just for something different :)

8. I would never consider giving any of my dolls a permanent faceup, I really enjoy changing the way my dolls look. As a kid I always wanted to change the looks of my other dolls too lol.

I might consider buying a doll with a permanent faceup if it were at a "damaged" price and suited my tastes. I'm sure I could find a way to remove the faceup if I didn't like it.

9. It would depend on the doll faceup. There are those beautifull dolls I think it is a shame changing them,
      But then, I love changing most of them.
      About the body blushing, yes I think that is a very good ideia.

10. I would totally do this! I'm not looking to change my dolls around a bunch. I know a lot of people don't because then if you want to sell them they would have to go to someone who loved it as much as you do. But I would still do it as I hope to not have to sell any of my dolls.

11. Only for some dolls.
      I don' wanna change they:(

12. I probably wouldn't do this because what if I decide to sell them sometime in the future, or they change character, I change my mind on how they're supposed to look, or it simply doesn't turn out the way I imagined once it's finished? I'd simply be too scared to do it.

Because, I doubt I'd ever buy a doll that had permanent body-blushing or faceup (I'm ignoring whether or not this is possible, I don't know and at the moment I don't care, treating this as a hypothetical question). It's very unlikely that I find a doll that ooks exactly like I want it to, I might very well want to change it, that's part of the charm, isn't it, being able to make the doll completely mine in every way.

13. I think I would like a permanent faceup and body blushing as long as it looked well done. I once dropped a doll and took out her eyebrow. That was very distressing since I couldn't personally fix it. I also had some BJDs where the face paint just disappeared over time. That was very upsetting because I liked her faceup and didn't want to change it.

14. My style isn't that great yet, so I'd have to say no for now on the faceups, but a permanent body blushing would be awesome if it weren't patchy!

15. If it was well done and I liked how it looked, I wouldn't think twice about it. After all, most porcelain dolls, which attracted me to this hobby in the first place, cannot be repainted (or easily modified, for that matter).

16. I really like changing up my dolls' faceups, so I'm honestly fine with them not being permanent. I'm also glad that the botched face-ups I've done in the past weren't permanent for that reason. As for body-blushing, I've never been the biggest fan of it mostly because of how it's notorious for chipping, so I'd love it if it would be permanent. I also feel like the main goal of basic body blushing (as in just accentuation of the joints, not scars or anything that could be considered modding) is realism, whereas there can be all kinds of different face-ups based on gothic themes, Hollywood glamor, Harajuku, etc.