1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

100% Permanent Face-Ups and Body Blushing?

Oct 2, 2009

1. Mentioning though that certain face-ups can take serious wear just from existing, I don't think this is neccesarily a bad idea. I mean, if we had a certain sealant we could use that was damn near indestructable, and optional, I'm sure plenty of people would use it. Especially for expensive custom face-ups or fast wearing body blushing.

2. I wish I would have done that for my first dollie, I really adore her current face-up, but it's chipped. :...(
      But this might change when (and if) I get her twin.

3. I'd actually not mind the idea of permanent body blushing. The cute pinkish knee, fingers and feet would be so nice if they don't chip.

Permanent face up though, I am not sure. Part of the hobby is to customize, changing things a bit here and there to freshen up. To me it is part of the fun... so no. I would hate the idea of permanent face up.

4. Another nay sayer here. I paint all my own dolls and would be really frustrated if I couldn't easily change their looks every now and again. I would be very interested in a more durable sealer though. It's irritating how easily they can come off.

5. I've noticed alot of people saying that customizing is part of the hobby, while it is, it's not fair to assume everyone's the same. There are people (like me) who once they have their character's set look plan on keeping it permanently. Since for that character to change the face would to be to destroy that character. Like I love Takuya and while I think he'd look cute with other things doing those things would just not be him. And I dread the day when his face up is too beyond repair and has to be replaced ;_; Which is why I started learning to do face ups so when the time came I could do it myself so that his face would never have to be changed.

6. I would love it if companies offered this! In fact they should offer it, right now! xD

I generally only buy LE dolls, always as fullsets with their complete faceup and body blushing if an option is offered. I have zero intention of ever wiping these faceups/blushing, and live in constant fear of damaging them/chipping them etc especially when it comes to things like Soom fantasy parts!
      If I was given the option to have perfect 100% permanent faceups and blushing, I would take that option in an instant!
      I can still customize with wigs and eyes and clothes, and that's all I need!

I also agree with HighPriestessIce. For me, the faceup IS the character of that doll.
      Once I change the faceup, the doll becomes a completely different person.
      My Unoa Lusis was like this. I got her on auction second hand as my first doll.
      She had a hideously bad faceup and body blushing, some done with NAIL VARNISH, but the second I saw her I just fell in love with her.
      I did some photoshoots with her for a project and truly enjoyed having her around.
      Then one day I decided to finally sort her out, clean her up, and finally give her a new faceup.
      The second I took her faceup off, she stopped being her. Months went by and I never got round to sorting out a new faceup for her.
      In the end, I sold her just the other week because she wasn't that character anymore.
      So yes, I dread the faceups of my current dolls being damaged because then they won't be them anymore.

7. I haven't seen anyone here assume everyone's the same, in fact, all I see is people saying what they personally wouldn't like or why they wouldn't buy a doll like that second-hand. :? Just because I don't want a doll with a permanent face-up doesn't mean I want the idea of such dolls banned from existing, and I don't think anyone else does either.

8. I'd never want permanent body blushing or faceup! 0.0 What if I change my mind, or want to sell? Or even if I never intend to change the faceup/blush, what if when I die, my dolls get passed on to someone who doesn't want it? (Let's face it, our dolls will probably outlive us!) I don't like permanent things in general. I'm indecisive!

I'm curious though, what kind of "permanent" methods do you have in mind? I mean besides, like, sharpie? XD

9. Personally, like someone said earlier, if there was some permanent OPTIONAL spray, I would use it. Only on one doll -- my Clock Rabbit Dali. I bought him FOR the faceup, and I'm going to be damned if it fades/chips/etc!! Im very very careful with him, and I hope his faceup never goes away, I love it to much.

All my other dolls I can deal with their face ups eventually needing to be redone in many years, I'm very careful with them, and I probably will want to change them in the future. So I think something optionally permanent would be useful for those who want to keep them.

10. floor sealant over the normal pastels, acrylic, and other normal stuffs ^_^ cements things on :)

11. That's it exactly. Because of the general nature of this hobby, most people like to customize their dolls (even if I'm not really one of those people) and so if all dolls suddenly had permanent faceups, people would not be pleased!
      However, I definitely think there should be an option that all companies offer which allows those who want to keep their dolls in pristine original condition to be able to do so.

12. I entered the hobby with customising and re-customising in mind, so a permanent faceup doesn't appeal to me, but I can understand the appeal in it for other doll owners. I guess it would be a good option to have.

13. My basic concern about a "permanent" face-up is what products were being used to create it. By their very nature most supplies used to safely do face-ups aren't permanent. Using some unknown substance could end up damaging the doll.

14. Still thinking about permanent body blushing, that would be SO cool.
      It's funny too I guess, I based my dolls on characters as well... since I've had Tomato (last December) she has had 5 faceups including the original one she came with. I wipe her a lot just cuz I don't know if she has settled into 100% her character yet. Each time I change a faceup she is still Tomato, just a prettier Tomato and closer to what I'd imagine her... perhaps that's why I am not quite for permanent faceup yet. I suppose once I have her exactly the way I liker her I'd not want her to change ever. :>

That being said, I'd think of face-upping a type of bonding activity so it would still seem a bummer to me if I can't change them up from time to time. :>

15. Oh wow, I would love to have this option. I only have a couple of dolls that I'd actually use it on - but I do get a little tired of the body paint on my poor Machina chipping, and chipping, and chipping, so I have to constantly touch up her paint. I haven't found anything yet that will make it just stay put, and metallic silver isn't exactly a color that one can dye into the resin. :| I still don't think I'd want to use it on most of my dolls though - even though I rather doubt that I'll actually want to make changes to most of them, I'd still rather have the option open just in case. It doesn't even have so much to do with resale value for me as the option to try something new. Heck, one of my dolls even switched gender recently... :sweat

16. There are plenty of acrylic sealers used in other similar hobbies that don't damage resin. I'm the friend in question and I had used miniwax floor acrylic on the doll. I love it! I kept having to redo the ears and nose before--this is a much more permanent option. I've carried it around in my pocketbook (it's a tiny) with loose change and no scratches! The stuff is amazing. It's a form of acrylic-no different than your average acrylic sealer reactivity-wise, and comes in a spray form. But it STICKS. I got the idea from the war-model community, who handle their models constantly. They need something that doesn't ding or rub from regular handling. I'm looking to see if verithane (often used on polymer clay which is similar if not more sensitive in reactivity) works as well which would be even stronger.

I did that specifically though because the type of market we reach with one particular resin sculpt of ours are folks looking for an action figure. It's expected to be more permanent. I am looking for a way to offer it as an optional thing in my faceups though too, and I also offer the typical MSC, etc.

There are other options too. I'm looking to get my hands on heat-set paints which also are more permanent than what is currently used as standard. They are expensive though.

SheJackal and I don't have problem casting small bits of resin to experiment on, which makes me a lot braver than most!

Perminant may be a misnomer; you also can always sand the paint or use a chemical to get it off. It would just be a lot more stubborn than the average faceup, and much less prone to damage.

17. The idea of permanent body blushing is nice if you like the job done. Depending on the type of face-up it might not be bad to try and keep it more permanent, while it might make resale harder it could also entice people if they feel they have to worry less. Even if there was a method to do it I'm not sure I'd want that done to a face-up on my dolls. I like changing around and reworking my characters so that would be a limitation for me.
      Either way, a doll will be worn by life eventually as long as they are handled and taken out. :(

18. Most defiantly a perm. body blush but not a faceup.

19. I wouldn't want either, even if the permanent faceups were perfect. My very first doll was an MSD Sakura kit that I sanded and painted and assembled myself, so it's always been about customization for me.

20. All sealant is removable and all sealant fades after time and wear even floor sealant.
      And what kind of finish does floor sealant leave since most dolls have gloss lips and matt everything else. I am very sceptically of this even being possible. MSC is a sealant and it is removable with other chemicals so I am not sure why floor sealant would not be. I have floor sealant on my tile at home and over the years it has slowly worn away.
      How about a photo of said doll.
      If this is just a hypothetical question then I would say no I would not want a permanent face up I like the option to customize and sometimes you get sick of a look even on a doll. I have sold dolls with Limited face up to re-buy a basic head so I could change their face up. I felt too guilty wiping a limited face up.