1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

100% Permanent Face-Ups and Body Blushing?

Oct 2, 2009

1. I concur, if the materials used didn't damage the resin in some way, I would love permanent body blushing. You only need it basic really, but it does chip (especially if you're like me, and love your dolls to death - I know my dolls are going to need repainting every few months tbh)

2. I think it would be great to have the option of doing so if one wanted to, as others have said, esp. for body-blushing, which can chip so easily! Though, I really like the idea that one day I would be able to change my doll's faces... even though they have set character types and "looks" at the moment, I might want to change them one day if my interest in the hobby takes a different direction... ^_^

3. i love the idea of permanent body blushing! Am pretty violent with things.. Am so afraid mine will wear out easily in future. My recent purchase is without body blushing as i know it'll just be a waste of money.

As for face-ups.. i'm not as keen as i may most likely get bored of it after a while. X)

4. I think for body, it's alright. But I don't need a permanent face-up.
      I can't imagine how I would feel if I or anyone I love have no chance to change the look.

In case of I really fall in love with a doll with that treatment, I will consider again. However, I may need the change someday, and I'm sure there must be the way to do.

5. I would love permanent body blushing. I love the way it looks and the tone it gives to their beautiful sculpture, but I love that sculpture so much that I want to touch it! And so I don't have body blushing. But I'd love some. But only if it wasn't going to come off!

As for a face-up - I wouldn't mind it being permanent as long as I got it right first time. And let's face it, the chances of that are pretty minimal...

6. Omg yes!! I'm kind of a noob to this and I didn't even know that was possible!!! Yes I would totally do that XD because there's one particular look I'm planning for my soon-to-be doll and I don't want him to change at all after I do it :)

7. I would definitely consider it for the body... cuz the blushing does tend to chip or fade quickly. But the faceup is something I would have to think about. I would compare this decision to someone considering permanent makeup for their face... its a tough choice. Can I really stay with one look for the rest of my like?

8. I gotta say, I would never consider permanent faceups. I'm a makeup artist, and I change my own makeup at least once a day. My dolls so far have had about 6 faceups each >_< I love being able to change it!
      For other people, it may be a good idea, especially for collectors.

9. If there was a way to safely and permanently seal my dolls' faceups on without changing the color, creating a gloss effect, or in some other way changing their current appearance, then yes, I would definitely do it. And I might even consider body blushing on my dolls, if such a thing were possible.

But I've yet to see any proof that any of the methods mentioned in this thread are permanent, will not alter the original faceup, and won't damage the doll in the short or long term. It seems everything discussed so far is speculative, and no one has said they've actually tried these methods, or reported on their efficacy.

10. It would be pretty cool to have permanent body blushing, but it is something that would have to be applied in the mold and almost cast directly into the resin... as in the manufacturer would blush the silicone mold and then pour the resin.

Same with faceups, although they would have to be painted in the mold in the same way that animation cells are painted (reverse order).

If baking resin didn't have such negative effects, using heat cure oil paints (as are used on Sculpey figures and reborns) could also be an option. Doesn't matter if the paints stain resin that is permanently painted, right??

I'm sure someone will come up with a solution eventually, but personally I really like the possibility of change once in a while, and being able to customise and undo and redo. I could see a doll character coming together just right and wanting to freeze the look though.

11. If i was 100% sure on what i want for my character, yes, i think i could totally try this. Well, more accurately commission a good artist to do it for me. :)
      But if i'm not 100% sure, or i get the feeling i'm going to change my mind on it, i'll just give it a normal faceup and just go with it until i decide what i want for my dolls.

12. I said on page 2 I tried it (I'm the person she was talking about), with a miniwax acrylic sealer. It works really well, not 100% but certainly much better than the available options out there! The sealer is a satin, but that's incredibly easy to fix with a layer of MSC or Dullcoat. I actually really like the effect on my anthro doll (the one in my avi), which gives it a very "fine china" look--people asked me if it was made of ceramic.

I've had it with loose change in my pocketbook to see what it takes to get it to rub. It took 4 days for the first rub to appear (that's with it coming everywhere with me and being consistantly handled--it's also painted in the joints themselves-) It's been a week later and the only places noticably rubbed are the eartips--previously I couldn't get these to stay on past the first day even with delicate handling when sealed with MSC. There is als a rub on the inside of one hip joint, but that's to be expected! Honestly, the only issue I have with it is how long it takes to dry completely; one full day (it's dry to the touch after a couple hours but takes a full 24 hours to not be tacky or stick to itself if two peices are touching; it can be coated every 2 hours--I used 3 coats as suggested by the manufacturer).

It also has the nifty effect of sueding the joints because it's thicker than most sealers. It's also water resistant and makes the painted parts MUCH easier to clean with a damp cloth.

My conclusion is that it isn't 100% permanant, but it certainly has it's benefits. It is of course removable by sanding or by chemical means such as acetone. Constant rough handling will eventually cause rubs, but at a much much slower rate. I'm dern impressed at the amount of beating it takes before the first rubs start--if you are rough, you could easily recoat the doll periodically before it ever shows.

There is nothing different about it from other sealers that puts it in a place where it reacts chemically with resin. It's used all the time on resin models in other hobby communities-some which are constantly handled as in WH2K. That's where I got the idea. The only issue I could see occuring is possibly yellowing. I can make 2 test peices of resin, paint one with it and leave them in the sun for a bit to see. I'm trying to get some nice pics of the doll in question.

13. Oddly enough, it seems like my Yumiko's factory faceup is on for life. She's a Dollfie Dream and whatever they used to face her up is pretty solid. Of course, this is vinyl, not resin.

14. If it is really possible, I would absolutely consider it. I never change my dolls once their looks gel for me. At this moment in fact, I have a doll that I purchased rit dyed by her previous owner, and now her skin tone is mottling and changing with age.. The only real solution is to wipe her completely and start over. Since she was painted by a friend to match her "sister" it's a bit of a disappointment.

I'm planning to replace her with a doll that has stable resin in the color I want, but it wont be quite the same. There isn't much I wouldn't consider trying if it means I wouldn't have to do this again. If there ended up being real chemistry to back this up I wouldn't hesitate to finish my two or three of my dolls to be sure their looks last - resale value, what's that? ;)

15. In fact I've tried dentures opaquer in resin statuetes after I saw it working in numerous dentures made by resin for change the resin colour etc... but it's better not to use mr super clear before blushing or painting its better to let paint bind with the doll in this case ... just paint or draw with anything like pastels/acrylic/watercolour pencils etc (no inks , no oils) and then place the opaquer for resin (resin used for dentures is similar with this for dolls) - there are transparent opaquers or coloured ones , you need the transparent) but it is hard to find it and needs skill to apply it properly , It's not the easy method but I know it works , I'll do it to dolls too but I slowly paint every detail & I work too many hours (lack of time) , so it will take time ... I thought it was this so I poped up ... it finally seems there are more than one way to make this possible!

16. I would love to be able t make both perminant. I haven't had my first doll very long and the thought her face one day will need redoing fills me with horror as I love the way she is. It would also make me a lot more confident in handling her and maybe I would think about taking her out with me more.

17. I wish defaults could be more permanent, but I think it would be a pain if it got scratched because it would have to be removed to fix it, what a pain that would be. I've had to remove a faceup where the choice of materials was more permanent it was a nightmare.

18. There are two of my dolls that are all about face-ups - I mean, their face-ups are so unique and mean so much for me that I dread a thought someting might happen to it, it will be irreplacable. As for my other dolls, I wouldn't want their face-ups to be permanent, I might want to change something one day :) And for body blushing - definitely not :) I actually like to change it quite often.

19. I wouldn't want a permanent face-up. I love doing the face-ups even though I'm not perfet at them, it's fun to re-do them and watch myself get better. Besides, if they were permanent, people that were commissioned for face-ups would have to charge hundreds to do the permanent kind and I don't have that kind of money. The dollies are pricey enough as it is.

I like playing with mine, and if I wanted to sell it, the face-up might not be what someone else would want. Sanding the doll to remove it could end up completely changing the sculpt.

20. I love the idea that the face-ups can be changed. That is one of the things that drew me to these dolls is the level of customizing. But I might at some point want permanent face-ups. I would like it to be an option.