1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

100% Permanent Face-Ups and Body Blushing?

Oct 2, 2009

1. I'd def. do that for body blushing--it's heartbreaking that it kinda squeaks off between the moving joints :( as for the face, I wouldn't. Sure, it qould be pretty cool that it won't wear off, but what if you want to change it..?

2. I don't think I'll ever bother with blushing, but permanent faceup? Oh yes. My dolls are bought specifically to be certain characters, so once their look is perfect I would be all over keeping it that way. I would certainly like to see more examples of what these talked-about sealants would look like, though, before trying it out...

3. Now see, that has my attention. Is this applied without MSC under it (eg: to a faceup that has never been sprayed with MSC before, so on bare resin and paint)? What brand/type/whatever did you use? Is it spray or brush on?

4. I can definitely see the merits of permanent blushing and faceups however I am fairly sure I would not quite want it for myself because I know over time my work will change and improve and I would want to be able to freely redo anything I had once done +laughs+ Although I have a DZ fox who is now permanently black because I dyed him but that is perfectly fine with me as I can change his blushing at least.

As far as your anthro idea, that is a good one really, I can completely see where many people would like that and buy permenantly painted ones that looked like their species' colours.

5. Nothing wrong with a permanent face up for me. It reminds me of how you cannot really remove antique doll's make up and how highly desired they are when most of the face paint is intact. It really makes it your doll and most of all, your art can stay forever. Being a face up artist myself it's kind of painful to see your face ups get wiped. Like if a painting you worked on was destroyed forever. So it being a option to be permanent is pretty neat!

6. Permanently really well made body blushing- heck yeah! But not on the face-up, I like to repaint them from time to time.

7. Faceups overall I can't imagine not having the option to change them as my skill improves... but I'd like a way to change my Hound's skin color permanently.., something that won't wear off at the joints like my previous dye job has.

8. I use Utrecht acrylics, and I did do a layer of MSC underneath just in case, and to give the pastels something to grab. I don't know if everything would stick better to "virgin" resin. I also used professional pastels, both Prismacolor and PanPastel (which I love and highly recommend! I use prismacolor only because I can't afford to buy too many PP's at once...) The kind I used brushed on, but it's also available as a spray, which is. as far as I can tell, the exact same thing. Similar price too ^_^ I will most likely be buying the spray in the future, I didn't close it properly one time and my can rusted along the lip and the lid no longer fits properly. Thank goodness for ziplock baggies!

Still been carrying it around. The one biggest issue I see is that it makes the paint thick--it's very resistent to damage but if something sharp makes it "rip" you need to reseal it before it peels. When it peels, it's down to the bare resin, perfect white. Mine has one on the back of the head. This is solved with a quick dab of sealer for damage control. You can tell before it rubs though, because the area looses a bit of its finish first, If you weren't "abusive" like me (carrying around a doll in my purse with my car keys?), you could easily fix it before it rubs.

9. Is this the stuff you used? If so, I think I'll buy a can and test it out on some of my random doll hands and such to see how it holds up and whether it is likely to damage any of my dolls' faceups before I go so far as applying it to them.

I assume you mean that it can come off in "sheets" if it cracks or tears, and that it takes all the layers of paint and MSC off with it? That sounds like standard sealant behavior (MSC and Testors do the same thing).

10. I have pondered a long time about dying my Sards hoove feet/legs because the blushing chips off so badly. I just don't really KNOW how to and I don't want to mess up a LE doll.

But if Soom offered to dye the oprion parts on their monthly dolls I would be all for it!

11. No way! I do not like the look of body blushing and I love to change my dolls face-ups

12. I'm new to all of this... don't people usually use sealant (mr super clear) after they've blushed/painted a doll? I know you can take it off, but I thought it was kind of like how you can strip the paint off your walls or whatever. Walls pretty much stay painted permanently unless you actively try to remove the paint. But faceups aren't like that? They rub off, even with sealant?

Because I'll be painting my first doll soon, and I was thinking I'd like it to stay on indefinitely.

13. Good luck with that one. Faceups aren't permanent - they can last a long time, especially with proper care, but they don't last forever. They wear off over time, and the sealant (MSC, Testors, whatever) can pick up dirt and also change color as time passes and it is exposed to light.

14. Okay.. I guess I'll have to keep that in mind. D: Oh well, it's only a little extra work, I suppose.

15. if people started doing that, i'd be out of business! but, to thik of the well fare of the dolls, i would say that it is a good idea. i would buy a doll like that.

16. nah.. I like the idea of redoing the face-ups.... I really love the fact that you can clean your dolls from scratch and do a new clean face-up. It gives a refreshing look on them. :3

17. Custom is the best part :D I like to redo Make Up over and over again! I think I will never go for a permanent Make Up or blush!

18. I think the option would be nice. In the event that a doll isn't damaged, I'm all for having options.

People who prefer to customize could opt out and those who wanted the permanence could opt in.

19. I think if it could be guaranteed that the doll's face would stay pristine under the layers and layers of permanent sealant then I might be tempted for my LE dolls, but if it goes grimy after a few years I suppose it would be much better to have the doll freshened up and repainted.

20. Maybe a permanent body blushing, but I'm scared.. If I don't like it? If I can redo it more nice or perfect?
      Absolutely no permanent face-up, I'm moody so I need to change sometimes..