1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

100% Permanent Face-Ups and Body Blushing?

Oct 2, 2009

1. The idea of a permanent faceup makes me cringe, personally. One of the reasons why I love BJDs so much is because of the nearly endless possibilities for customization and recreation. I wouldn't be able to bring myself to make anything on a doll permanent. And I would NEVER buy one with a permafaceup. It wouldn't feel like it was MY doll, you know? I want everything to be lovingly made or chosen by my hand. That's just my personal opinion, though. I can totally understand the allure permafaceups might have to others, but I just wouldn't do it myself.

2. I doubt I'm saying anything new, but while I think permanent body blushing could be a good thing, mine is a definite no vote for permanent faceup. That's one of the strongest draws BJDs have for me - I get to play makeup artist with my doll! Heck, I've been known to move my furniture around just to change things up a bit, changing my doll's face is a must have for me.

3. Maybe it's a silly question but I am newbie here and I have for only for a couple of months the bjd addiction so I would like to ask how long can you keep a faceup without fading. Does it fade through time? How long can you keep it if you do not want to change it? Can you keep it "for ever"?
      Thanks for answering.

4. I wouldn't like it. I enjoy redoing face-ups to improve them and my skill. I wouldn't want to buy a doll that had a permenat face up and I wouldn't put one on one of my girls.

The things I love about this hobby is that everything can be customized, and permenant face-ups take that away.

5. I'm going to have to go with 'no' on the faceup, but it could be kind of nice to have permanent body blushing, since that doesn't really change much. I've also wondered about the tattoos people put on their dolls - I know some are easily removable, but some look pretty permanent to me - I guess if you're not planning on changing your doll's character much, EVER, a permanent faceup could be a brilliant plus as far as normal wear and tear goes.

6. For tattoos and body blushing probably this 100% permanent aesthetic service would be good. I mean, when you blush your dolls body then dress him/her and take him/her out on photoshoots and such, the blush will get scratched and chipped then you'll have to spend more cash and effort to redo it or ship the doll to an artist. Permanent body blushing and tattoos make perfect sense.

Permanent faceups, however, aren't very appealing since one of the main advantages of a BJD is the customizability and the fact that you can paint the doll's face. It's one of those things that set BJDs apart from other dolls.

7. Well I think that it would be nice to have a more durable body blush, but not permanent, incase you find a spot you'd like ta edit.
      Definently no for a face up! Even if i cannot do a face up if i want to change it by-god i'll learn how to do one! Hahaha, premanent never would suit me but maybe someone else would love it.

8. I love the idea of a tough body blush that is more resistant to fading/chipping than the normal MSC-coated jobs. I wouldn't want a permanent faceup, though; change is fun and wonderful, and I love being able to change the look and feel of my girls.

9. For some of the more elaborate creature stuff I want to try to do some day, this is a very appealing concept -- for faces and bodies, in some cases. I'm going to keep an eye on this thread -- has anyone started a thread in the customizing forum about this just for trading ideas and experiments along these lines?

10. At first I kind of like the idea of a permanent face up because if it is really good then I don't really want it to chip so easily, but I would have see it first before purchasing. I bought a new doll with face up and there parts I don't like. I accidentally chipped a bit off above the eye, so I'm glad that I can redo it to what I like (I wanted to keep face up long as possible because I wouldn't be able paint one just as nice). There are definitely some custom face ups I would love to have permanent though. I don't really mind if my dolls had body blushing but it depends on the quality again for me to decide if I want it permanent or not.

11. I don't like the idea too much. Of course it's nice when you can be a bit less careful but I think dolls change with their owners and so the dolls have to be changable. I prefer coating and care. ^^

12. not for me! face ups need their hygiene as well ^^ a permanent one , will never give u flexibility to create variety.

13. I don't think I'd so a permenant face-up for one of my dolls, for a number of reasons. Firstly, I kind of like the whole refresher a new face-up can lend a doll; even if you're simply redoing one the same way it was before because of its age or condition, it can lend a new vibrance to the doll. Also, if you had a permenant face-up on a doll and you had a change of heart... not being able to change it would be a costly mistake.

Personally, I wouldn't buy a doll with a permenant treatment like body blushing, or a face-up. Part of the reason I enjoy my dolls is getting to send them off for esthetics, and not being able to do that would sort of take some of the fun out of it for me. xD

14. I would like an optional way to make something more durable. I like the idea of using the floor sealer or dental acrylic sealer. To me, it's pointless to have a beautiful doll that I can't play with - if I have to handle it with kid gloves, then what's the point of getting resin over porcelain? But I am leery of factory face-ups and considering that a 'good' face-up is in the eye of the beholder, I would really not want to buy a doll with a 'permanent' face-up or body blushing.

15. I would like Permanent body blushing it seems to come off so easy. Faceups on the other hand. no.

16. Now that is something i've been wondering myself. I guess that depends on the materials used when doing the face-up, and the sealant, and how much wear and tear the doll is put through.

Experienced owners/face-up artists, could you please share some examples? :)

Hmm. Assuming it'd be like a sealed permanent layer on top of the resin, that would not in any way harm the resin or be harmful to its owner, it sounds very nice as an option. I'd definitely want to keep some characters as is, for as long as possible.

I could see this being very useful for those tanning their dolls too. The dream scenario for me, would be entire permanent body and face tan/blushing, where one could still remove and re-apply face-ups, while the skin tone overall was left intact. Maybe one could consider it an outside re-casting/re-sealing in a way?

SheJackal, the natural fading of resin is not accounted for in this scenario?

17. i personally would have permanent face-up/body blushing/mods because i never intend to sell or alter my dolls once they are complete. i can see why others would not like this idea or want it to be semi-permanent as many people in the hobby sell their dolls or change their character or fancy a change of face-up. really i think that if someone is going to have something permanent done to their doll, it has to be permanent in their decisions because otherwise it will make it difficult to sell the doll on or change it for themselves.

18. I would love a permanent faceup..yes..but..I think part of the fun is making them look different all the time..so..I'm going to straddle the fence on this one.

19. hm... the first couple of dolls i got i'm not planning on ever changing so i used to think that permanent face-ups were awesome but now i got a couple of boys that are required to be changing their make-up every now and them so i'm REALLY grateful that i didn't go through with getting their face-ups permanent back then! O__O

20. Has there been any more information on the acrylic sealers? I know that Stormslegacy talked about using a 'Miniwax Acrylic Sealer', then mentioned something about 'Utrecht acrylics', as well as mentioning that they got the idea from the Warhammer 20K hobby but... I'm clueless. :sweat

The only thing I can think is that Stormslegacy meant 'Minwax', not 'Miniwax', Minwax makes acrylic floor/wood finishes (but I don't think I've ever seen any in a spray can like what is mentioned).
      Or that they meant the 'Utrecht UV Resistant Clear Acrylic Coating Spray Varnish for Drawings and Paintings'. Or if it's something else entirely.

I looked up the methods used in the Warhammer 20k hobby (I used to dabble in it), and they usually use an acrylic floor finish called 'Future Floor Wax' (aka Johnson's Kleer in the UK), usually mixed with some water to thin it down, and some Tamiya's Flat Base which cuts down on any shine. They then brush it on, which might not work so well for our dolls (and might be too thick for an airbrush. I'm not sure I want to gum up my airbrush by trying it). Or, instead of the Tamiya's Flat Base, they alternatively sprayed on a layer of Testor's Dullcoat afterwards. Personally I would use MSC, since it doesn't leave such a yellow cast as Testor's seems to.

This would be great for body blushing, for those who want to seal on a tattoo, people who have dyed their dolls or given their dolls 'body paint' (like painting on scales, 'sewn on' patches, etc.)- and don't want it to rub off!
      I've always liked body blushing, but I've never done it because of the fact that it chips and wears off so easily (and MSC isn't really all that easy to get a hold of in Canada). Sturdier body body blushing would be awesome.