1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

A bad season for dolls?

May 11, 2007

1. I've never heard of a broken Dollshe, nor one with oddly green resin (besides sun damaged tan). They don't use any of the same materials as Cerberus Project/Luts as far as I know. I don't think you should worry ;)

2. Sorry, I do agree that it's a crap shoot all year! XD

I do recall that the summer I bought my El was the summer when all of the BW dolls were distinctly greenish. It actully makes the head a better match for his Volks Ltd. white body so it's all good to me! St. James ordered her Shiwoo a month after I ordered my El and he's the greenest white doll I've ever seen.

3. Perhaps....but it seems to me that complaints stand out more than compliments. We all expect to receieve stuff perfectly, so when things don't turn out right, we complian. I think that the amount of positive experiences far outweigh the bad, otherwise no one would be buying dolls. I've never had a problem with any of mine (and my youngest dollie is 3 months old) so...perhaps the complaints are getting more attention than usual??

4. I thought summertime was the worst time to order from Korea too, but my CH Little Jr was ordered in February and it STILL isnt ready yet!!!! They were not happy with the results and went back to remake the doll. Maybe next time I'll order uniques only as at least I know they're already made.....Alex

5. At least they were checking :)

6. I think every season will be a bad season for someone.
      Out of the hundreds of order they get a day there are always gonna be mix ups and mistakes and slow orders. It just always happens to be me that's the 'someone' ;)

7. Oh, jeez. I really wanted to order Sicily soon, but if she'll likely be green or cracked up...now I'm worried. Is there the same problem with CP normal skin?

8. I've never seen a NS doll that had the greenish cast some of their BWs get... although the exact color of the NS resin can vary a lot from batch to batch. Some are pinker, some are yellower. Most are sort-of a peachy color.

As far as cracking goes, that can happen to any of them during any season if there's a flaw in the casting, or if they're packed incorrectly or if they get handled too roughly by the post.

9. I have never heard of a cracked Dollshe doll or green tinged one - with the exception of Zestroy's Fraud; he was ordered during the transition period from V1 to V2 I think and he's a medley of V1 and V2 parts. Not that it's a very bad thing, it's rather amusing really. xDDD (Correct me if I am wrong, Zes!)

10. Well, okay, I'll bite.

Peter Grey, my version 1 Dollshe Hound, arrived with a mucking great chip out of his head--this version closed with rabbet joints, which slip out easily, and the headcap clocked his head. He was well-wrapped, but not against this self-damage.

I wrote to Luts, where I'd purchased him, and sent pictures when they requested it. Luts mailed me out a new head promptly; this one turned out to be a version 2, with magnets holding the headcap on the head.

So, I have Peter Grey and "Chip" (that's not my name!). ;)

Ann in CT

11. Oh my god are you people serious? ;_; I was just about to order a CP doll reeeally soon but I don't want him to be green!! T3T It seems like all the BW dolls who are just arriving recently are very white, though... I guess I won't worry O__O

Anyway, uh, I also doubt it is a "bad season" or anything like that... People definitely tend to give more attention to complains than compliments, so as BJDs grow more popular and more are being bought, more complains surface so it just seems like there are more problems. But there are also more good experiences :3

12. I think there is a right to complain because of the amount of money that's being spent but to me it seems like more people tend to pay attention to the complaints moreso than the compliments, which gives the illusion that the complaints are becoming more frequent. I can remember a few problem threads about different companies in my head very clearly, but all the "OMG MY DOLL ARRIVED AND HE'S/SHE'S/IT'S SO PERFECT!!" threads kind of blend together on account of the frequency, not like it's a bad thing :)

As far as the beauty green goes, I won't touch it. I'm too neurotic as it is to risk the chance of it shall I ever order a BW doll so I know I just never will. Luts seems to be the company famed for it as well, I wonder if others have had greenish tints around this season also.

13. Exactly. It's called the vividness effect and accounts for a lot of misconceptions about companies.

14. It's probably true that people tend to pay more intention to the complaints. I guess it's because they're planning to order their doll, so they want to be extra sure that there's a way to get their money's worth, or keep an eye peeled for any problems they might face.

The compliments are great, but I guess future doll owners just don't wanna end up as the random odd someone who gets stuck with the short end. o.o

15. Chemistry lesson! :D

Polyurethane resin cures OK when exposed to moisture (it cures via a chemical reaction!), but more bubbles form (making a weaker finished product). If there are actually water droplets in the mold when the resin is poured, the resin may explode back out of the mold - this is a sight to behold, rest assured, but a massive expenditure.

The demand on some of these companies is a new thing, so mistakes are understandable.

In many cases, I am willing to buy the "screw-up" dolls at very close to retail, and there are others like me, so if complaining doesn't get you very far (or if you don't dare try sendback because the language barrier is too problematic), drop me a line or post your "sickly" dolls to the board. Some of us have a use for them. :)

16. :o I'm going to be ordering a Lati Yellow as soon as they open back up for orders in mid-June... I really know nothing about this, should I be worried that the heat of the summer is going to melt or otherwise mar my new baby? :( That would suck.

17. You mean the heat from the sun if you take her outside? No, she won't melt. She might become a bit yellowed over time (extended time in sunlight, generally), but she'll be fine.

This kind of topic seems to pop up once every couple of years. I don't think there are any more mistakes being made now by specific companies than there were the last time this came up. There are just more companies, and more people to complain... and we read all the complaint threads instead of being over-joyed with others that they've finally gotten their dream doll... (it's kind of a sick mentality when we concentrate so much on the bad things...)

18. I'm worried about the doll in shipping... Will I open her up only to find her head in the shape of the corner of the box, or marked with the styrofoam (or whatever) she was packed in?

19. I'm planning on getting a BW boy from Luts soon (unless Abadon wins me over in the end). I had hoped to order this summer. Are my chances of getting a "beauty green" that much higher? And is it even that bad if they turn out a tiny bit green? XD When I first got into BJDs and heard someone mention it I thought, "Oh noes! GREEN?!" I guess as long as he doesn't come looking " :ablah: " I'll be happy. ^ _ ^;

20. I've ordered dolls from Dollshe, Luts, iplehouse, Volks, Dream of Doll and few others. I've never had a doll arrived damaged in any way. Some were packed better than others, but these dolls are pretty tough. Even if a piece arrives damaged, the company will replace it for you.:)

The best thing you can do for your doll is keep it out of the sun, try not to keep them in really bright rooms every day and keep them away from flourescent lights.

It is true that with more people buying dolls than ever before, there's going to be a proportionate increase in damages and defectives. People are also more likely to publicly air their grief on DoA than before. (It used to be that people were just so happy to even get a doll they'd keep these kinds of issues to themselves) I do wonder if the customer service reps at some of these places are feeling a little run down with all the new customers and issues they must be dealing with.