1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

A Family Affair: Do your loved ones love dolls too?

Aug 6, 2009

1. No, I am the only one in my family who likes and collects dolls. Having said that my father is a collector too, it just isn't dolls - it's steam trains. He's a massive train fanatic and in the process of creating his own model railway. So while dolls and trains are very different we can at least relate to having a passion for collecting. We can relate to the cost that's involved e.g specific model trains for example are very expensive just like certain dolls are. My mother used to own several porcelain dolls back in the 90's when they were popular (given to her as gifts) but she didn't really bother with them, they were stored away in their boxes and eventually given to charity. She doesn't hate dolls but she's certainly not into them like I am but that's okay.

2. Woaah!! That's super cool! Have you ever heard about Miniatur Wunderland? Your dad must know this spectacular model! Check this video, it's so amazing! Miniatur Wunderland video

It's great that you two share this. Not everyone understands what collecting means for collectors. Trains and dolls are not that different, in the end they're both small versions of real figures (or fantasy, of course).

3. No one else in my family collects dolls. I think my grandmother used to collect porcelain dolls for a little while, but that stopped a long time ago. My dad thinks they're kind of weird but my mum quite likes them, though I don't think she would ever want a BJD of her own. My sister also thinks my dolls are weird but sometimes wants to borrow my doll to draw for her art class ~

4. My parents both have dolls. My mother collects traditional Japanese dolls and a few porcelain dolls while my father has historical action figures. I am the only one that has a BJD type of doll. As for my future wife I think my current doll is growing on her. Considering that she previously had a doll phobia, I think she is well on her way to full dolly acceptance!

5. My girlfriend collects BJDs, my mom collects BJDs, my aunt collects BJDs... basically everyone in my life pretty much collects BJDs, lmao, and it's as awesome as it sounds. My mom did a faceup for my Doll Leaves Noir and my girlfriend's Dollshe Saint, and gave my girlfriend a Dollstown girl she won in a contest because my girlfriend fell in love with it (that happened this weekend and I'm still just. DYING.)! :D My aunt has bought me and my girlfriend a couple of dolls for birthdays and Christmas, too (most recently my Mystic Kids Gene). And I take pictures of dolls my mom and aunt are selling and write up the sales posts for them since they're less computer savvy. It's all pretty amazing tbh.

6. @roserising Can your family adopt me? Your family meetings must be really interesting!!

7. My husband will be very disappointed if he finds out that I spend all my salary on the dolls. He cannot appreciate the beauty of this little art creations :(

8. Not really ! My sister does own a 1/6 Obitsu, and could possibly owns another one in the future. She loves making clothes for her little doll and is really good at that, but since she already has another expensive hobby (mangas, and now she's also beginning to collect Magic cards) she doesn't really want to spend too much money on a doll since she's already really happy with the one she has (that was a gift from me).
      My dad is not specially interested in them, and my mum, even if she does like my dolls a lot can't get over the price, and anyway she wouldn't do anything with one, it's not her thing.

9. Well, I don't know him, so I can't really have an opinion about it. However, I think when someone spends all their money on a hobby, their loved ones become concerned. Of course it's your salary, your money, and you can spend it the way you want and makes you happy, but when a hobby requieres almost a salary every month, I would say it's normal that he can be a bit upset. I have no idea if it has to do with not appreciating the beauty, but if my husband spent an awful lot of money on his aircraft models I would be concerned too, and still would appreciate the level of detail on the models and the artistic aspects of the hobby.

I'm sorry if it's something you didn't need to hear (read), we're supposed to support each other on this hobby, but I wanted to give you another point of view.

10. My husband really seems to like all my dolls, including Serenade. :3 He also likes looking at the bjds and other dolls in my wishlist, and helping me pick out which one I should save for next. xD My brother also likes seeing photos I take of my dollies, and he also buys me dolls I want for my birthday and for Christmas. :) My mom is aware of my hobby, and likes my dolls well enough, and she even has one of her own, as she said that she wanted one, so I bought her one for Christmas one year. She doesn't really find herself very into the hobby though and mainly just keeps her's on display, but it's where you can see her as soon as you walk into her house, which I think is pretty neat. ^_^ So everyone in my family doesn't seem to find it weird, nor have they made any negative remarks about it. ^_^

11. No. My husband doesn't mind them and my two daughters (ages 13 and 15) stopped collecting dolls about three and five years ago. They enjoy doll photography (sometimes) but I'm the doll collector in the home.

12. My partner isn't into it, but they're happy seeing me happy, which in turn makes me even happier! I plan to give them a customized doll of their favorite OC at some point, and I'm sure they'll love him even if dolls in general aren't their thing~ My mom LOVES my new doll and I think squeals louder over her than I do. She'll walk into my room and see her and say "Oh! The dollie! She looks so beautiful!" I'm pretty sure my doll is going to have a massive ego before long. :mwahaha

13. I have an Aunt who has been collecting dolls since forever but she would never by a BJD since they are out of her price range. That would change if she ever won the lottery. She loves when I bring my dolls around for holidays so she can look at them. My mom has also started collecting dolls but not BJDs. She stated she would only want the SD sized dolls. She gets excited when my dolls come in the mail. My best friend loves them and hopes to get one soon. My father is a collector of train sets and buses so he can understand the hobby.

14. My girlfriend actually got me into this hobby! Though she rarely takes photos of her dolls anymore but now that I have purchased one, she is slowly getting back into the hobby as well and buys more clothes again X3

15. My mum likes helping me pick out clothing for them, and making small things for them, she thinks it's amazing how detailed the things that are made for our dolls, likemshoes!, are, it's very cute, and I try to include her when I buy something for on of her favorite dolls of mine.

16. My family vary. My brother is, I think, a bit terrified of BJDs... My dad looks at them with curiosity, but doesn't really mind at all and listens when
      I talk about them from a crafting point of view, as I make a lot of things for them.

My nephews just act as if it's nothing unusual. They're used to their auntie having action figures, stuffed animals, BJDs and all sorts.

My mum thought they were a bit weird, but then I sat two of them on the couch and she started posing them and stuff! She loves their little clothes and makes suggestions on what they should wear. Also, she wants it to snow so they can make tiny footprints...:XD: My mum is odd.

17. My mother loves them! I actually think she might be a bit more excited that I'm going to be getting two new smaller dolls! She loves knitting for the dolls, and with them being a different size from my old dolls I'm going to have to get them a entire new wardrobe! My mother loves knitting, so I can guarantee a lot of their new items of clothing will end up being knit rather then bought! : D

18. My parents helped me order my first doll and my dad wants his own dolls in the future, but wants me to design and create the outfits for them. Its so cool that he's like being dragged into this hobby with me. My significant others find the dolls creepy, but I hope that that will change.

19. My sister has one ^-^
      as for my parents they aren't interested in getting their own however my mom likes to buy furniture for my dolls ^-^

20. Well... I can say that my parents really don't get the hobby. I would like to say they are supportive but not really that either. They think my liking it is a bit childish and they view it as a waste of perfectly hard earned money. That being said, my dad while he doesn't share in the hobby whatsoever can be supportive at times when he thinks of it just in the strict sense of a hobby/interest but the price of them really irks him lol. As for my boyfriend, he supports it whole heartedly as long as I don't try to convert him into collecting. :lol: