1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

A Family Affair: Do your loved ones love dolls too?

Aug 6, 2009

1. My family doesn't mind my doll much. My mom likes to amuse herself by putting things in his arms to hold, and she thinks he's pretty, but she doesn't like the price tag. ^^; My dad thinks the way he's put together and everything is interesting but doesn't really pay him much mind. My sister really loves him though, and even wants one of her own someday.

Besides them, my boyfriend has seen my doll and thinks he's creepy. And thus, doesn't really pay him much mind, haha. On the other hand, my sister's boyfriend (who is like a younger brother to me) loves my doll. He even makes little things for him and wants one of his own, hehe.

2. No one in my family (well my brother and mom) seems to care but they don't mind BJDs either so I guess that's a good thing. As for my dad and his family they probably wouldn't like BJDs but I could care less I just don't need to hear their whinning. You see, my mom and dad, they're big jokers so I know they will crack jokes like crazy yes all in good fun but it will get old....fast. I think she might grow on my mom though. So here's to hoping. =D

3. Well... My mom loves MY doll! XD
      She actually really enjoys dolls herself, but I don't know if she'll ever get one herself. >.> I'd really like for her too, though! And she knows what doll she wants, even. XD

I also think that my step mom would really enjoy BJDs, but I'm not around her and my dad as much, so she doesn't really know anything about them. :/

4. I seem to be the only one of my kind in my extended family. My two sisters like dolls, but not abj dolls. Hubby loves bikes and couldn't care less

5. I seem to be the only one of my kind in my extended family. My two sisters like dolls, but not abj dolls. Hubby loves bikes and couldn't care less

6. My mom liked it but not the price though~ XP
      My aunts liked it too but they said that it's too pricey for collecting dolls xP

7. My mum doesn't care about the price, so long as the bills are paid first. And she likes mine so much she'd admitted to considering taking them with HER when she goes places durring the day when I'm sleeping. XD And she and I don't even like dolls.

8. XD My family isn't really interested in buying one, I think. The price tag is a bit shocking...
      But most of my relatives seem really into my boy when I bring him with, and my mom and dad even have a nickname for him~ XD They call him "Hank" instead of Henry. It's rather cute.

I think my boyfriend is kind of neutral, though. He thinks my hobby is kind of silly, and mistook Henry for a girl. >>; But otherwise he's been OK about it.

9. As far as BJDs it is just me. My mom collects other dolls, and appreciates the BJDs but probably wouldn't buy one for herself. I'm sure she wouldn't complain if I got her one though! :) My boyfriend supports my hobby, as I do his so it's never really an issue as to price. We both have jobs and once the basics are paid for, it's still your own money to spend.

10. What a fun topic!
      My family is completely fine with the dolls, but none of them own any. My brother collects art figures and has an obitsu dog that he loves to death. He thinks the amount of effort that goes into the dolls is a bit much but fully understands why I love them and is happy to stare at pics with me. He even has me notify him whenever soom releases a new monthly. :XD:

My mother likes my dolls, she even talks to them, weird but funny. She helps me find fabrics and to-scale items for the sewing and is always ready with comments on my latest faceup.

My father thinks we're all strange. :lol: He does love that I come chill in his workshop because of them though. He seems to like the modding aspect of the hobby, and helps out whenever possible. He also like the newest addition, Soom MD Cass, since she's reminiscent of Mucca's models.

11. two of my three daughters were into bjd's before me so we have lots of fun together. my youngest however just shakes her head and my husband just thinks i am nuts.

12. My family mostly thinks they are creepy and really really don't like the price tag. My mom thinks the main one I want (( Calla )) is kinda pretty but still, doesn't like the price tag at all. Her boy friend hasn't given much of an opinion. My brother thinks they are creepy and scary. My mom's boyfriend's son and daughter think they are creepy to. But that's ok. I like em and thats all that matters.:)

13. All my family loves dolls! My mother (she is 55 years old) and my brother (he is 29) own dolls with me. We collect money for them together, choose and discuss them together. When I was a teenager, mother learned me to make clothes for them. Now she's going to buy MSD from Iplehouse. ^^ Even our grandmother (she's 87) interesting with dolls and their clothes.

14. Unfortunatly I'm the only one in the family too love BJDs. My father thinks they look beaufitul and are interesting, but besides that he doesn't care while my lil brother thinks the whole idea is kind of creepy. My boyfriend thinks the idea is fine and they're very artsy, but thinks I'm crazy to try n spend so much money on dolls. But luckily for me I LOVE them! And have a good friend to share my hobby with. :P

15. My family has sort of learned to accept my dolls. At first my whole family was all "...keep her away from me" to my MSD. My aunt was OK-ish with her. Then I got my Puki, with no warning at all. My mother was mortified, my brother indifferent, and my aunt thought she was cute. Now, my entire family is ok with them (not the price), and will sometimes come home with a little trinket for my dolls. My grandmother and aunt still have heated discussions over whether my MSD or my Puki is better (my Grandma believes my MSD, because she is bigger and cheaper and easier to sew for, and my aunt thinks my Puki is much cuter, easier to pose, and less creepy.) My aunt is really warming up to my Puki though- she's buying her new hands, and is needlepointing a custom box, with compartments for her puki box, clothes, mini furniture, etc. I think I may have a bjd fan in the making, folks! Also, my camp boyfriend thought they were neat (through pictures). Unfortunately, he lives in another province, so that possible bjd fan is going to be difficult!

16. I'm saving for my first doll, my boyfriend thinks I'm a little nutty I think, but he's always been really supportive of my creative outlets.

My mother is indifferent, I don't think it will sink in for her until after I spend the whole day at her house waiting for it to be delivered. (i live on my own, but all my mail goes to her place)

17. My mom has talked about getting one, but I'm not sure she's gonna do it ^^
      It would be nice if she did.

18. I think I can safely say that I am the only one interested in ABJDs in my immediate family. Everyone else seems to think they're creepy.. I do have ONE friend that shares my interest. ._.

19. I haven't gotten my first yet (Christmas at the absolute earliest), but I've tested the waters.

My dad doesn't even understand my love of figures, so he definitely doesn't get my fascination with dolls. My mom, however, admits that she "can see the appeal", and I can imagine her posing mine behind my back whenever I get my first, especially since she's been doing some entertaining things with the still-naked 1/6 doll I'm slowly customizing for her. She's got lots of other things she wants to spend money on before dolls, though. Like that new floor she just had put in. I've also run the idea by my grandmother, who acknowledged they're pretty but is absolutely flummoxed by the price. She did hint that she might help me sew stuff once I do get one though, so maybe once she sees one in person she'll change her tune at least a little.

20. Most of my family is very understanding about the hobby. After my first doll meet, my mom has set upon getting her own doll. (An Oceanmoon Eun-Ryoung, which she will name Olive.) Infact, she wants to get her own account on here, too. My dad, on the other hand, has disdain for the hobby but understands my passion for them. Although he calls all dolls ugly, he helped fix Valentino when his finger snapped off.

Both of my siblings are infatuated with Valentino. They don't dare touch him unless I'm around, and my sister constantly asks me if she can hold him. Both of them say hello to Valentino when they see him, and I'm trying to teach my brother to use underwear so he can be a big boy like Valentino.

My cousin, suprisingly, thought Valentino was awesome. He liked to pop off his headcap, and said that if it wasn't for the price and the fact that he was a boy, he would get one.

My aunt, an artist, thinks Valentino is beautiful and likes it when he poses with her miniature food. She's thinking about getting a doll too, but seems to be more into Blythes and Pullips.

The rest of my aunts (I have a lot) think he's nice-looking, but of course are set back with the price.

However, my 2 grandparents on my dad's side and the 1 grandma on my mom's side would probably be offended by Valentino.If I showed them my doll, they would probably think he's the work of the devil and would immedietly command me to get rid of him. You can't really talk back when one of your grandmas is a pastor and the others are strictly religious.

Oof, sorry about the overkill.