1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

A Family Affair: Do your loved ones love dolls too?

Aug 6, 2009

1. My fiance is the one who got me into the hobby! We save for all our dolls together. :3 My parents think they're expensive, but they support me all the same. My dad paid for Errol's new face-up for Christmas and both my parents are buying me a PukiPuki for graduation.

2. My sister just bought her first and is waiting for it to arrive and my mom likes them and thinks they're cute but doesn't have the funds for one at the moment. My husband doesn't mind me buying them but isn't into them.

3. I think my family likes dolls alright, but they aren't into them... Some people just don't see them the same way we BJD lovers do. But I did manage to recruit my sister after a couple years of her just being indifferent to them. She wasn't interested in my dolls because they were boys, and she said I should get a girl doll... so I started looking for a girl doll for HER. She wasn't satisfied with my choice, so we went through all the doll sites til we found her dream doll. At this point she was converted :D We ended up buying a doll to share (we both get a lovely doll, at half the price!). She's come to accept and appreciate my boys too. She's not into the community aspect of the hobby (doesn't go to meets with me and doesn't visit DOA), but whatever.

4. My boyfriend supports me but isn't into the hobby that much. He's a little scared of handling them but he likes all of them very much. :3

5. I envy those who have anyone around them who are also involved I this hobby >.< my mom and little brother are both scared of my doll, so they prefer to stay away from it.

6. My mom love my dolls and to sew for them. Sometimes she insists on buying some wigs or clothes for dolls.
      But dad is't interested in dolls at all. Some of them even he does't like.

7. My mom: "goodness I have a strange daughter ^_^"

My Sister: "goodness I have a strange sister"

my Dad: "for the love of Pete, when is my daughter going to grow up?"

my husband: "Well as long as she's happy. ^_^ <3"

That sums it up nicely.

8. My girlfriend and I got hooked on the hobby at the same time. Actually, we hid our interest from one another for a while, me thinking she'd make fun of me for it or get weirded out by it, and her vice versa! I was actually the one who was initially more into it, but now she has 10 dolls (counting ones on order) and I only have four!

9. I am lucky enough that my sister also enjoys BJD's and has one of her own. And I had no influence in pushing her into the hobby at all... :sneaky Nope, not at all...

10. Nope! I kinda wish I did have a family member to share the hobby with though. Thankfully, my family is accepting of my doll collection - they are not critical nor do they judge. And they will listen patiently as I go on and on about any particular doll topic. I don't think my husband "understands" my collection but I don't think understanding is necessary, just acceptance. :)

11. my mum finds them really cute (especially the photos of little msd girls i show her!!) but she also likes how the boys can be very cute as well ;o;

my dad is, interestingly, very interested in their clothing (designs and quality!) since he makes a lot of military uniform replicas (i can't stand to call them cosplays because that just sounds weird LOL) for himself so he is especially interested in the military based clothing you can get for bjds!

just happy to have parents who encourage and understand my hobbies ehehe! my friends also find them nice but the prices (like promised) just throws everything off orz;

12. My dad and mom likes Volks YoTenshi Yayoi som much! Since she is so chubby and adorable.
      They really support me on this dolly hobby.

13. Nobody in my family even knew what they were until I got one.

They got kind of freaked out over it, so I don't see them getting any. ;p

But, back when I got her, my boyfriend at the time liked her so much that he'd make jewelry for her, and help me with the makeup for her. :)

14. Your mum is lucky. I have followed my daughter into the obsession, but she doesn't like me to touch her doll. I can respect that. I got into it at first by having fun making things for her doll. My first little girl will arrive in 3 months.

15. Sadly, very much DO NOT. But I am single, have no children and no "significant other" -- which I feel no emptiness about [the significant other part anyway]. So pretty much I am just referring to my parents. Their value system is particularly sparse. If I wanted more than one ice cube in my glass they thought that was too extravagant when I was growing up.

16. Nope, just me. My sister and I used to play Barbies together, until she got too old. I'm really the only one in my family who likes dolls. That doesn't mean they're nasty about it, though. My mom is really supportive, and my dad is...tolerant. My grandmom ordered me a BJD for my XMas/Birthday present, so despite her fussing about it, I think she's actually pretty supportive as well.

As for my sister? She keeps calling my guy dolls "trannies" (her term, not mine!). It really irks me, but when I've told her, she doesn't seem to care.

17. [FONT=&quot]I am lucky enough to have a mother who likes them. She even suggests that I should buy a second doll this year [/FONT]:)

[FONT=&quot]My grandma seems to be afraid of my doll. She says that Toshiyuki sometimes looks like a living being.[/FONT]

18. Wow, at last I am not alone with disapproving families. My familydoesn't support me at all and there are 8 people in my family well 7 if you&#8217;renot counting me. My mother and sister are hoping that it is just a phase I amgoing through and I will hurry up and get out of it before I get more than onedoll. My other sister doesn&#8217;t like the price, but she thinks their cute, butwill never get one and thinks I&#8217;m crazy for getting one. My three youngest sisters&#8217;thing what every mother does and my father well&#8230; I do not ever want him to fineout he would flip.

I do not want any more of my extended family to find out eitherthey would be even worse. I have to say I am really jealous of those of you whohave people in your lives that are supportive.

19. my mother: "I don't get it, but you are perfect the way your are! *hug*"

my sister: "ARG! get those freaky things away from me! They're gonna kill me in my sleep! *runs and locks her room*"

My father: *couldnt care less*

My boyfriend: "Hey, hon? You've seen this doll here? She would go so well with my boy Floy... wanna buy her? -^^-"

most of my friends: "Well, shes weird, but so what?"

20. Sadly not. Even tough i have a job and no responsabilities (like children) my family doesn´t like this hobby...they think that is childish and a crazy and extravagant thing. My mom especially is very negative with this hobby and usually i have to keep from her the dolls that i have.