1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

A Family Affair: Do your loved ones love dolls too?

Aug 6, 2009

1. For the first time today, my boyfriend said that he actually wouldn't mind "having" some dolls, but they would still be in my collection. He's super supportive, and finds certain dolls cool, but can't see himself calling them his own. This is really more than I could have asked for, since he's much more into outdoorsy, "manly" things haha. Other than that, nobody in my family "loves" dolls, but I wish someone did.

2. I sure wish mine would! I grew up creating elaborate worlds for our barbies with my sister. That was where I learned to sew and world build and what the BJDs have replaced for me now that I'm all grown up :D I would love nothing more than to continue with that with her but she has moved onto "cool" things and while I can tell that she is interested in my dolls I also know that she would never spend the money on them and she doesn't like them enough for me to purchase her one.

My mom was pretty against them in the beginning and is now supportive enough that when I told her that I was spending $1200 on my Grail doll she actually told me that she was happy for me and couldn't wait to see pictures :D I figure that if she keeps moving at this rate in a year or two she'll have her own lol!

3. My mother has always loved Ces, and she's now talking about getting an MSD of her own (to the point of checking out different sculpts!). She always says hello to him when he's with me and puts up with my doll ramblings a lot. I've bought her a tiny for mother's day -I thought a baby BJD would be an appropriate gift. :)

My dad is much more into building and fixing things, although he does take some interest in my interests (because he's nice like that). He once said Ces was very well made, and he restrings my boy for me when I fail at it. He says hi to him sometimes, but refers to him as 'Casavier' (it's close enough! Haha). When I told him about Seraphine he asked where I was getting her from and how much she was. When I told him the same place as Ces and not very expensive he said 'So not only are you getting him a cheap woman but she's his sister as well?!' which was hilarious but (obviously) incorrect.

My boyfriend and I have only been together for 2 months now, and I've been blown away and honoured by how active a part he likes to take in my interests. He's started to make Ces and Seraphine clothes without me asking (he's the arty, creative type) and he asks me about Ces a lot. The first time he met him he said he didn't want to touch him incase because he had greasy fingers (without me saying a word) and to balance him on his arm so that he could feel the weight of him. He now talks about what 'we' should dress Ces up in and said he'd like to meet Seraphine once she gets here. He's so much more involved in my life and hobbies than my ex, and I find it incredibly endearing. I love having people to share my boy with! :)

4. Well my sister likes Juliet and told me she would get her own of she only had to pay $40 (I'm thinking of using that to my advantage..... >_> <_< ) haha and my dad is slowly growing to like Juliet. :) my grandma hates them, thinks that they're a waste of time and won't get me anywhere in life. =_= my cousin owns one and my cat diego puts up with them. All in all I'm workin on it XD

5. My boyfriend really likes my dolls, and has expressed an interest in learning how to mod BJDs, so I'm on the lookout for a project head and body to get him so he can practice. I like being the enabler for this! :)

6. My mom was very supportive at first ^_^"" She gladly accepted the hobby and sponsored for my dolls too...
      Yet she's very against the idea of a girl playing with a male doll = =..In her POV she thinks that a girl should just stick to something like her own gender,like what I did when I had my first Barbie(facepalm)
      But she still supports as long as I like it ^_^.My aunt is living with my family and she's my best companion whenever I am thinking of an outdoor photo shoot :) ,she's not into dolls but she takes photos with me.My sis used to hate dolls because of Chucky but started to accept it,got clothes for my boy and slowly joined the hobby too.She has a DOT Sha

7. My mom is on the fence, mostly because she's like "you're paying so much for something that doesn't do anything", but she also says that if it makes me happy, that's fine too.

My dad has no say in the matter. :sweat

8. My brother shall never know of any dolls I will get.
      My mom is half supportive/half think they are a waste of money. She makes jokes about them that are very crude.
      My father will kill me if he gets any knowledge of me liking them.
      And my cousins are supportive about them until I remind them of cost.
      For my whole family, it basically comes down to the cost for the hobby... not the dolls themselves.
      But I don't really mind what my family thinks, since I like them and looking at them make me happy~ I've got enough friends to support me if I need it~ <3

9. Mom is really into dolls, but she can't get past the price of BJDs. I think it's still a sticker shock for her. She was so into dolls in the past that she even made some of her own, that came out really cute, and she later sold. Dad knows they are expensive, so my mother and I never let him know the exact price. Brother doesn't care, he drops lots of money on cards, so yeah.

Boyfriend is very understanding and might say they look nice and stuff. Truth is he really doesn't like dolls that much though, but doesn't care if I buy them either. His hobby is cars, so yeah. When I spend a couple hundred on dolls he doesn't complain too much because cars are way more expensive. You could say I tolerate his love of cars and will look at them, so he does the same for my dolls.

Forgot to add mom even likes them to the point where she says stuff like let me buy a dress for my pukifee.:| I don't know how many times I have told her whose pukifee it is, that if she wants one she should get one for herself,and stop trying to mine. She doesn't want to because of the price though.

10. Though my friends and my family know about my doll hobby, I'm the only one that actually own one. Friends love my dolls, but they still think they're expensive. My parents as well, but they're very supportive. Every time they had friends over visiting, they would bring my dolls out and show them to their friends.

11. My dad and mum were the ones who got me my first doll~
      As my dad often goes to Japan, he goes to Volks and buys me outfits for the dolls and even bought me 2 YoSDs. My mum doesn't really like it when I play with them too much and don't focus on my studies :P
      All in all, they are really supportive as they do offer to buy me things and don't ask me to stop playing with them~ However, mum thinks I'm too young for such an expensive hobby... OTL

12. My husband is really sweet and supports my hobby but no he doesn't participate beyond admiring my dolls and their clothes etc.

My kids are still little but my little girl is certainly showing a keen interest though, she begs to give my dolls "love" whenever she can, which involves giving them a little hugs and then carefully passing them back to me...I must say I do love it and hope she picks up the hobby as she grows because I think there is so much scope for learning and creativity in it!

13. My fiance doesn't mind dollies, he thinks they are cool and wouldn't mind having a girl someday. Still working to get to the 'OMGMUSTHAVE' phase. :D

14. My ex strongly disliked them and would grab them by their limbs and such... My mum thinks that they're cute and my sister actually wants one of her own, a Souldoll, at this point. I'm so excited! I can't wait to share this hobby with her. :D

15. My SO has a few dolls herself, and two of our dolls are even a couple (which is really awkward because that is utterly out of character for both of the characters the dolls embody. Oops). We share a doll as well. My mom finds them interesting and loves my Dragondoll Cheng, she thinks he's very manly (And he is).

16. Hmm... Fella loves them... Dad indiffrent about them... Mum thinks they're creepy and hates me leaving them in the livingroom...

Everyone else I know locally thinks I'm wierd.

17. My husband is okay with it. My youngest daughter (12) likes them too. She likes the tiny. My family doesn't understand why I need to buy those expensive doll's. They always say: you have enough, do not buy any anymore. But that is just the triger to ignore and buy and like them even more!

18. First I got into bjd's, and my husband thought they were really cool and artistic, so he got one of his own. Then my daughter saved up for her own doll, and really enjoys meetups. She also got her best friend into collecting bjd's. My Mom loves them but doesn't want to spend the money on one, but she's always on the lookout for interesting finds for dolls, like chainmail bracelets and mini swords, and feathers for wings. My Dad finds them fascinating in their construction, and he's proud that I've been so sucessful making doll clothes. My Grandma.. she likes them and says, "They never had dolls like this back in my day!" She's a darling.
      All around my family is interested and supportive, I'm so blessed.

19. Though I have been collecting all sorts of dolls for over 30 years - my husband has not really shown any interest until recently. The BJD's and my one other type of doll he has recently asked me about.

He wanted to know the origin, designs/sculpts of bodies and heads and the Asian manufacturers. We had a date night and actually talked about my hobby... I was gobsmacked!! He then asked me if I wanted any dolls for my b-day coming up and I had two in mind. He bought both of them for me and I am thrilled.

His keen interest and new appreciated for my BJD world has led me to wonder if he would ever want to join me in this hobby. I think I won't push it and see what happens... =)

20. My family doesn't like the fact that I'd ever want to prefer to spend my money on expensive dolls rather than other things. I don't like to talk to them about my dolls because I'm worried I'm going to get a lecture about how it's a waste, I should be concentrating on wanting other things, etc,... I end up taking my dolls out when no one else is around, though all they do is sit on the sofa or another chair while I use the computer or watch TV.

My mother is more accepting of the fact that I've chosen to spend my money on them. When I do talk to her about them, she seems receptive. I'm not sure if she's humoring me or if she's really interested, but I don't worry about it. Sometimes, not being able to talk about my dolls with anyone but an online community can become a bit stifling, so having a real person to talk to is refreshing.