1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

A fat dollfie.

Dec 30, 2005

1. waif reminds me of waffers... and waffers remind me of those vanilla waffer cookies... and now Im hungry... @_@ >_>

2. I'm actually working on a chubby BJD right now! I love her to death...she looks like she weighs about 180-200 lbs (she's kind of modeled after myself).

I'm also working on an African girl doll too.
      Damn the man~! Fight for equality in BJDs! :D

3. i'm sitting here holding fred, my little chubby baby petite ai and giggling a little at your post...

well see they scare me too, lol. I don't know any people like that; I don't look like that; so at least SOMEBODY in this house can have rockin' hooters and the sexiest tummy on the planet. :nosebleed They look like they do in a large part because of how I dress them, too, which of course can be changed. Memphis CAN look less sexy than she usually does, I just... don't want her to.

When I want to play with a more real looking doll, I reach for one of my minis, jeremiah blue or shawn or something... or fred....

and shel, thanks a LOT, now I want nilla wafers. -_-

4. WAFERRS~! :D

For your favorite Waif. :3

5. Well, in the boy department . . . I do think CH boys are closer to being "sturdy and solid" (heh, heh) than most of the others. They're a long way from fat, but there's more substance there than in a lot of boy bodies.

When I'm having trouble finding pants to fit my Pen (CH Jin), I tell him he has a big old Korean farmer's butt. When he's looking good and his clothes are fitting well, I tell him he has a sexy baseball player's butt. Perspective is everything.

6. Oh, I'd love some sturdy/solid boys. I think that's why I prefer CH and SD bodies, and don't like CP mal bodies... I'm not into the thin, slender look for guys. Not saying its ugly; its not. I just don't want it. If I want thin, I'll get a Hound/Berman. They look thin in a masculine way; everytime I see a CP male doll all I can think about are "Agh, slender woman legs!"

I looooove how the SD10 jointed and non-jointed boy body looks... Das a good boy who likes his groceries ... X3 *dreaming of an SD10 boy to coddle some day - cuz I'm weird* He's still got some baby-fat.

7. Damn DOA, you ate my reply! D:,

Anyways, in response to a few of these replies;
      I can't say for sure, since I don't own either doll, but aren't CH and CP's boy bodies pretty similar in size? the only big difference I see is that the CH body has a more feminine waistline, and that the CP body looks a bit more mature.
      And also, it looks that CP's boy may even have thicker thighs than CH, but again, this is just going by comparison shots here on DOA.

Some reasons chubbier bodies may not be showing up in the BJD community may be partly because of the lack of exposure to that body type in children in the native countries where BJD are produced, and that they might not sell well as a product.

Personally, even though I am an overweight person (I'm 5'5", and about 170, & male), I would love to see dolls of a "thicker" body type, in either gender, and depending on how well this hypothetical doll is made and how good it looks (in an objective standpoint, not subjective), I'd definitely buy a body like that.

Uhm, and just saying, because it hasn't been mentioned, this thread seems to be turning into a chat thread, rather than a picture thread, probably due to the lack of existing dolls in the requested category... Maybe it should be moved to general discussion (as to not get locked)?

8. I have to say, that El has quite big thighs on him. XD

I hope I don't offend anyone by saying this.

I also have to agree with a lot of the others - the 'baby' type of BJDs are quite happily chubby! :)

9. That's part of what attracted me to DOD girls- they're well fleshed rather than twiggy, but don't have the "uber curves" common of dolls such as Barbie.

10. I just know I don't like the appearance of the CP bodies. ^^; A matter of personal choice. Though they are about the same 'size' as CH dolls, their overall apearance to me is a slender, feminine one. Once again, this is just me, and I do not look down on the dolls or anyone else. I just don't prefer them and find a different aesthetic/appearance more pleasing.

11. I like to tease Odette because she has thunder-thighs. XD But they're natural hip sizes. It's not like huge saddlebags or anything. XD

And I personally LOVE CP bodies.... Both on KidDelf and Male Delf... They have such lovely legs. Then again, I like boys with an air of femininity.... Especially smooth, curvy legs. x3 mmm. And little, waify arms. X3~!

But that's just my personal preference. I see enough jocks at my school. :P

12. Part of the thing I would see being a problem is much like the discussion of squishy doll breasts being able to behave more like doll breasts, and breasts are mostly fat, unless you're pregnant or activly nursing.

So because fat behaves different from resin, it would be difficult to have a truly overweight doll that would still be poseable and act like a BJD. It would likely be better to have a hard frame then a softer, squishier material over top.

Plus, one of the fun things about the human body is the way fat behaves when you move. Breasts move, if you lay on your back they try to slide to your armpits, they hang down, they can be squished up, squished flatter, etc. I'm using breasts as an example as they're fat that most people are fairly familar with, not in a sexual way.

So other than round young babyfat figures in some of the dolls, we're unlikely to see chubby BJDs. It's sort of a shame, I'd love a Chouji doll ^^

13. so... does that mean it is impossible to make an obese doll?

14. Not impossible, but difficult.
      And you already thought BJDs were expensive. ^_^;;;

Since there would be a lot of work involved in making fat, with not much profit to gain, it is unlikely we will see them anytime soon.. which is a shame, really.

15. *cough* You made my day with that <3 (*luffs on Chouji*)

But, yeah, like they were saying earlier, the SD10 boy is a bit chubby <3 It may be mostly to how highly his back is arched, though, instead of is belly. Though, he still has a good bit of girth about his waist <3 What a cutie

16. WOOHOO!!

Now we demand that you post pictures of your lovely anti-establishment girlies in the Artist's forum!! ;)

Seriously, I was totally in love with "Rubenesque Ruby," the "fat Barbie" that the Body Shop used in an ad a few years ago . . . I'm still to this day pissed that they never sold her commercially, she was fabulous!!

Here are a few images:

http://www.judgmentofparis.com/BS_R6.jpg

http://www.darkrose.com/bbwbarbie.html

http://www.thebodyshop.com.au/ourValues.cfm?pageID=30

http://www.jrn.columbia.edu/newmedia/projects/masters/bodyimage/fighting/defectors_page2.html

http://www.bestrejectedadvertising.com/ban/print/ruby_poster.jpg

As I'm Googling, I'm discovering that there are evidently several versions of Ruby -- the U.S. version looked like a Barbie facially, some of the other countries' versions had different faces and forms.

Now, here's the part that pisses me off . . . Ruby is still used in other countries, but there's no mention of her on the U.S. site anymore. . . WTF??

I do love what Anita Roddick (founder of the Body Shop) has to say, though:

http://www.anitaroddick.com/readmore.php?sid=13

So, yes, a fat (curvy, Rubenesque, voluptuous, heavy, however you want to define it) doll is definitely possible!!

-- A (who's somewhere between a Lishe and a Ruby in terms of body type, and I think they're both fantastic dolls!)

17. Now THAT is awesome, Ashbet.

A little OT, but I recall seeing dolls in a store somewhere that were a little rollypolly. And they were really cute!! I can't remember where though. I wish normal stores would start carrying them. >_<;

And according to Mattel, they're modifying Barbie's sculpt to be more 'realistic'. Let's see how 'realistic' they mean. :roll

18. http://doll.luts.co.kr/item-img/mai.jpg

Mai is super chubby!

And I dont think it's correct to say that most dolls conform to the idea of an "ideal" body - but rather, that they conform to the idea of an -idealised- body.
      Which isnt to say that that they arent lovely, they are, for what they are, but they arent "ideal" (sure, they may be the idea for certain individuals, but still not ideal in general).

But I think it's a good point that you have raised =)

However, more than chubbier dolls, I would like the doll houses to stop making the girls shorter than the boys. Please. And even more than that - I'd like to see dolls that represent more people of colour.

19. Well, we've got Afghan coming out, and she's rather tall... And at least we're starting to get "Tan" dolls now, so that's a step in the right direction. I really think that the companies are starting to diversify, and that's a good thing. Now that there is more international interest, I believe that the dolls themselves will change. Patience, I think, will probably bring all sorts of new and unexpected things. ^_^

20. The nice thing is that if you buy dolls from a range of companies, you'll get a whole bunch of heights and skintones . . . I need to take an updated pic of my dollfamily all together, but I have short girls, tall girls, shorter boys, taller boys, and somewhat of a range of body types in terms of bust size and build (although, as noted above, there aren't really any 'heavier' body types to buy). My HyperManiac/DollTown hybrid girl is taller than my Luts boy!! (And my MNF/Ttory girl is taller than my DOD boy, for the minis). It *can* be done, just not all from the same company. I've got a range of skin tones, too, although I don't have any 'tan' dolls.

There actually is a physical reason why darker-colored resin dolls aren't made more often -- it's difficult to get the pigment to distribute evenly in the resin because certain areas of the mold tend to heat up while curing, which causes those areas to be darker. Anu at TensiYa mentioned that only one out of five Tan Hound casts was usable due to this problem. And "tan" dolls generally can't be sanded or modified, because the outer layer of resin is darker than the interior.

I agree, though, I'd love to see more body types and skin colors represented -- and maybe some genius can get around the resin-color issue!!

-- Andi :)