1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

A fat dollfie.

Dec 30, 2005

1. I agree! I like the BJD boys because they're slight. They get away from that 'thick neck, big arms, low IQ' look that's so popular where I live. Perhaps it's the goth side of me, but I think the thin boys are much yummier.

2. I also am in the bandwagon of scrawny boy fetish #^.^# *Pokes AR Fair*

But I would like to see a 'chunky' lady. Not fat, but not thin. I know that some of the girl dolls are curvy and such. But it's simply that very few people would want to buy such a lady that wasn't perhaps beautiful (body wise) according to common standards u.u

It seems like it would be some people's cup of tea, but not most people. So no company would be motivated to make any of these types since they're going to target things that MORE people will want to buy. Tragically >.<

~Dottie

3. I just want ANY boy.
      /emo
      Just kidding.

I like variety though. That's why it's nice that there are so many different body molds <3<3 So that we could each get whatever type we liked.

4. I know what you mean- I am plus sized, but I love being able to dress my QiXa in ways I never could....from tiny tees to the platform boots I am too clumsy for!

5. That Volks doll with the crazy name I can't spell (starts with U) has a chubby face. When I first saw it I was like, "OO! Pudge!! *pinch*" XD

6. oooh me too. That crazy U ----------------- doll has such pinchable cheeks. I would like to see a doll that was like the greek ideals of beauty. not fat, just with more on her.

7. I think Kid delfs are a tad chunky too...at least my Bu is...and I love his puffy chipmunk cheeks. *kisses them, gets kicked in the neck* DX

But he is still pretty flat and curvy despite his round, kiddie appearance.

8. Oh, the Volks doll with a chubby face is Ushiwakamaru. He's so cute!

I guess if you're looking for a doll with a larger body, you could away use padding! I remember seeing some pregnant bellies in the sewing forum (although they were made for boys... XD) and I'm sure that same idea could be adapted to make larger bellies and boobs. But my DOC has more than enough extra resin on his butt! I find myself staring at it... it's a very nice, generous butt...

9. One of the problems with chunkier/curvier dolls is that the clothes they wear are still made out of human scale fabric. When artists design the bodies, they need to take into account the thickness of the fabric, because if a body was made to completely realistic proportions, they'd look something like the Michelin Man in regular street clothes. I've even seen people here complain that a lot of the current outfits make their dolls look chubby - and BJDs don't have completely unrealistic figures.

This is one of the reasons that Barbie has the figure she does - if she had a more realistic figure when nude, she'd look terrible in clothing. And if her clothes were made out of fabrics that were 1/12 the thickness they are now, they'd be way too fragile to stand up to play.

There's also the fact that the more variety of body shapes there are, the more different sizes of clothing would have to be made. People already complain that they can't find what they're looking for for common sizes of BJD - imagine if you have a really uncommon doll!

I admit I'd love a Ruby or a BJD made to her proportions - I'd definitely dress her like the goddess she is! And maybe some talented sculptor could make a one off like her. But for the mass market, as wonderful as it would be, just doesn't seem like it would make practical business sense.

Marcia.

10. I like my dolls skinny. Too much junk in the trunk is not attractive or healthy, reminds me of people who just eat and then sit. No exercise. :p

Being too skinny is not healthy. So is being so obese that your sides spill from the chair when you sit down.

I've been on both sides of the weight scale so I know :)

11. in one of the gothic lolita bibles with pregnant, dismembered... and quite creepy set of ABJD's but I think they are all one of a kind dolls

if I get near a scanner anytime soon I'll scan them in...

12. Undine dolls have pretty chubby faces...

13. Volks is Japanese, and most Japanese people aren't fat, so it makes sense that their dolls (except for the voluptuous DD) have an average figure. By western standards this may seem 'idealistic' but I think it's pretty normal for Japanese dolls. I imagine it's similar in korea.

I agree that the lovely Sarubia is probably the closest to an overweight BJD in that size. The chubby tinies are adorable though. MSDs have chubby hands, so I think if you chose a rounder face and padded the clothes a little, you could have one with a cuter figure.

14. I'm still going through your links (I remember those postcards, my older sister had some of these) and I would like to point out that the doll was created with graphical tools, not physically, according to her CV. :sweat

15. It would be an interesting break from the usual.

Dolls, portraits or whatever reflect some kind of truth or message. There's always a reason behind what they do. Ruby was supposed to be an alternative. Another doll we could all enjoy yet she was not loved pretty well by people. It's their response. We have no right to critique them. It's their choice.

BJDs reflect some kind of art form of making little resin people. We can't exactly allow every sort of being made into such. It's costly and may cost problems. (Balance, resin usage and weight). There are only some sort of type that can be executed. And it varies from company to company. It's all a matter of taste and choice. Bulky, muscular, skinny or a little on the chubby side. They're there somewhere really or just waiting to be made.
      It is possible but as to who and when it will happen it will be hard to tell but its a nice ida. I'm curious as to how it will go if it were marketed openly. ^_^
      Most of the artworks we have around us tell us of an ideal.
      Ideal muscles, skinniness and tanness. I suppose this hasn't been explored yet. Say why not suggest it?

I do like the point Dezarii made. It packs a good punch. Most asians are pretty much on the slender side. Most companies nowadays are starting to cater to international market - such a blessing - but their main market will always be the local one. So it makes a whole lot of sense if its based on whats common already.

But in the end do what they look really matter or is it just a matter of if we love them? OKAY. OT.

/shuts up.

16. Hahaha, it's funny to me how this is in the picture request forum and still hasn't been locked for chatting.
      Anyway, I think a chubbier doll would be pretty cute, depending on the maker, but of course, if there is a chubby doll made, it will most likely be the only one for a while, and being that, we wont have the variety we have with slender/"average" looking dolls.
      I think it would take someone from here to do one or a few before any Asian countries would do it, especially with Japan, a country where it was okay to post billboards promoting bulimia (don't know about now).

17. I hope if they don't want it here they'll just move it instead of locking it. =) it's raised a good discussion I think.

OT: what's this about billboards? O_o are you serious?!?!

18. Well, I'm hoping that it stays here -- that way, if a picture does come along, it'll be posted!!

There would be Ruby pics in the thread except that I didn't want to hotlink to someone else's pics and steal their bandwidth, FWIW.

Someone who's got an Ushi needs to post pics of him/her!! (I know that there are some Ushi girls out there)

-- A :D

19. A chubbier kid would be more commercially viable than an SD size, I guess. I would love to have a petite ai dolly with a tummy like I-elf and a head or face like Sarubia or Mai. Am I weird? I kind of like Sarubia (not the feet though), Mai (if only he is taller), Yomo and Yoi (with a little more tummy), yes.