1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

A fat dollfie.

Dec 30, 2005

1. Freakstyle bjd have some chubby ones. I rather have a dollfie that fit all the clothes I buy. I don't know how the sew!

2. I'd love to see more chubby dolls! But it would be hard to find clothes for them though. Also the wight of the resin can be a huge problem if were talking about FAT fat dolls @__@

3. Yes, agreed that custom clothes would be the issue here. Trying to sew from patterns would be a nightmare, as well, since I'm a complete beginner at sewing doll clothes, or sewing anything for that matter.

4. Ahaha, it would be awesome! :)

5. I know that FreakStyle's Salomé has a very curvy and more natural(?) bodytype. She has a very small bust as well.

6. I don't really think it would be any more difficult to find clothes for a chubby doll than pretty much any other size out there. Of my dolls - ALL of them - more than half are impossible to find clothes for due to size, and most of them are what I guess people think of as "perfect". They're all too tall, too short, too skinny, shoulders too broad, shoulders not broad enough, arms too long, butt too big, butt not big enough, calves too big, boobs too big, boobs too small....it's a never ending battle for all sizes and it is annoying and expensive because I don't sew either. However a chubby body in an average size - SD or even SD13 ish? Wouldn't be much different. SD10s aren't skinny - compared to most of my dolls' they are chunky - so if a doll wasn't much bigger but proportioned differently and sculpted to have more curves or chub, I don't think it would much more an issue than anything else I own.

And as for resin weight - why is it any different than the massive hulks of muscle?? :\

7. If you think about MSD clothing, take for example Dollmore, it tends to be quite roomy.
      It might get a bit tight but I do think a lot of clothes would fit.
      If there's a lot of booty going on, pants might be an issue but (butt!) that's what tights and skirts are for, at least for girls. XD
      I've even padded one of my SD boys who's supposed to be a baker. ^^;

8. Chubby dolls would be great, but i see way too many problems coming from it
      -Resin weight making for unstable dolls
      -Harder to find doll clothes
      -Extra costs in producing molds for a doll that may not even sell
      and those are just off the top of my head

9. I love my island doll Hejin (only just over a month from order to delivery with Alices Collections last Aug/Sept) She is not the best poser but she's such a cute shape - Her poseability is nothing to do with her curves though! It's just poor engineering on Island's part - her arms are particularly useless. She's not at all unstable - if you're used to 62cm dollzone girls with huge bums and looooong spindly legs, or 70cm impldoll idol boys with their huge manly chests and biceps, or conversely 20cm spindly little dollzone Wendy with a gigantic head - Hejin is not at all unstable! I love her as she's so cuddly looking - she's my little dumpling ^_^

Dressing her though is a bit of a nightmare! Her hips are 1/3 size (she's 39cm tall so a very small midi) She has no bust but her chest is still too big for standard 1/4 tops, especially since she flares out to her big hips very quickly - she needs a particular 'baby doll' style or cropped top. Midi boys stuff fits her better as it's slightly roomier around the chest - but it's narrow on the hips and not usually cropped. 1/3 tops are huge on her, but at the moment I have her in a 1/3 dress from Alices, which looks like an old fashioned nightgown on her - I've had to roll up the sleeves a bit and it is totally huge and shapeless. So definitely got to sew tops for her, although bottoms are easy to find in 1/3 size - having said that, the shorts I got her from Alices strain to fasten up so she needs a longer top to hide the undone waistband - elasticated would be better.

This is her next to my normal sized dollzone 1/4 Jake - The white, headless doll next to him is a dollzone 58cm girl (discontinued) Hejin is wearing a YOSD sized dress as a top (part undone at the back - halter neck style very accomodating) and 1/3 shorts - normal 1/4 size boots.

[​IMG]dollzone jake + island doll hejin by Resin Rehab, on Flickr

This gives a good idea of scale - she is really lovely quality resin and very solid and chunky - really nice to hold. Her booty has to be seen to be believed though LOL - I didn't take a photo of her butt as it seemed a bit undignified - but it is HUGE ^_^

[​IMG]island doll hejin by Resin Rehab, on Flickr

10. I love that^^^ She is gorgeous. Ugh a chubby male is what I want. I'm a big guy. I'm not bad looking either I think. I want my doll to reflect that. Having a doll of myself would be my dreammmmmmm.

11. It's true that it is harder to find doll clothes (now). But when Iplehouse launched their EID line, owners were facing the same issue. Few years later, the market is now also accommodating for their needs.

I quoted these two points, because I've got a little experience in making dolls*. Resin weight does not make a doll more unstable. Volks creates one of the heaviest SD's, but they are also the most sturdy (and their SD13 body is great at standing). As long as a doll maker makes sure that the walls of their sculpt have an even thickness, and the upper part of the body isn't heavier than the lower part (thus influencing the center of gravity), there is no reason for a doll to become unstable.

The thickness of the clay walls also affects production costs. A chubbier doll does not have to be more expensive to produce, because it is possible to hollow out the inside. Less resin used equals less production cost.

My Salomé and Eve - although not exactly 'chubby', but definitely bigger than regular MSD's - weren't more expensive to produce, for example. My casting service quoted the same fee as they would ask of another doll their size (height). Just to give you a little insight :).

EDIT
      *I wasn't trying to be coy or anything: I am a dollmaker, so I've got experience making dolls. What I meant was that I haven't created many different bodies (yet) and so my experience in this is limited.

12. I think chubby dolls are great! They don't need to be significantly heavier, just have different body types. I think Salome and Eve are beautiful sculpts, the bodies look so natural. :)

13. I would love to see more chubby/curvy dolls. Salome is a gorgeous sculpt. (And I think Hejin had the cutest shape, difficult sizing/posing aside.)

One of the things I love about BJDs is the variation in shapes and sizes - of course, it's also one of the more frustrating things when trying to find clothes and shoes sometimes. :)

14. I prefer chubbier dolls to the slim ones. On the other hand I prefer small bust to large one - so I guess I like doll bodies that look.. hmm.. normal. Then again - I like them to have original faces where I can see the sculptors touch and where I can actually see how the face has been molded. Love that. Anyway it seems to be so that so many smaller and often European doll makers design chubbier dolls or dolls with larger booties than at least Asian ones. At the moment I can't remember names of American doll designers and what they do when talked about chubby dolls.

I myself am the happy owner of a DoD Appi Lünn, a Freakstyle Eve and a Salomé and I absolutely love the roundish forms of their bodies.

15. There seem to be a few more sculpts out there these days with a large backside, although most of these seem to be younger dolls. I don't see why people wouldn't want to make them of adults as well. Some of the artisan dolls out there have very unique shapes and there are collectors who are looking for dolls like that.

16. That chubby doll is so cute!!! Yeah seeing a few dolls leaving the spindly look behind would be nice :)

17. I think, If this doll have sculpt that I like. I don't care if he(or she)is fat or slender.