1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

A fat dollfie.

Dec 30, 2005

1. It does look adorable. I think once I'm better at clothes sewing, I'll consider a doll like her.

2. People have been saying for ages that you can't sculpt a larger body for a female because of weight or joint size- then making male dolls with joints the size of my clenched fist. I dropped an EID torso and it broke my keyboard. An EID weighs 7 lbs.

Conclusion: Resin weight is not a reason these kinds of bodies, male or female, haven't gotten made by many companies yet.

3. I don't own a chubby doll, but there are several companies that are working in creating more diverse dolls. I have also seen modifications that transform dolls to make them more rubust.

I believe our current sense of aesthetics prevents us from deviating from the lithe but curvaceous bodies for female dolls, and a more chiseled look for male dolls.

I would love to have a plump, curvaceous bjd girl one day. :)

4. I love to have different boby shape
      my Lunn/Dustofdoll and Manon/cerisedoll are a little chubby and I love it
      because we are all so diffente in real life so it's good if dolls are too

5. While I think you make a fair point and it could be interesting to see some larger dolls... I think I would be a bit deterred by how much resin this could potentially involve! Hahaha I just got my first SID from Iplehouse and while there isn't an inch of fat on them, their muscles are bulky and they're so darn thick! I don't think I could handle too many dolls that were that heavy to pick up. Perhaps they could use a lighter resin or make them more hollow? I would then be worried about fragility but... It's an interesting concept! I think it could be pretty easy to just make some chubby BJDs though, that would be awfully cute!

6. same here! i want those kind of doll. i like skinny model looking doll but sometime i think what if i have a real human body looking doll. there's people who have small and skinny face but chubby body,sometime i want to try that thing but brand make the item for selling so i wonder company would make that kind of body or not.:(

7. I've seen some people on tumblr, designing and making plus sized dolls.

8. I don't think than fat BJD will have commercial success, because this is popular kind of dolls and most of people prefer to have beautiful and slim ones. There are a lot of fat art dolls, but I don't remember ball-jointed items.

9. I want a really round girl <3

10. I would definitely be inclined to get myself a nice, realistically proportioned doll. It wouldn't necessarily have to be chubby, and I think that a lot of the "chubby" dolls people have linked in this thread aren't very chubby at all. To me, they look normal, and not incredibly thin and tiny like every other doll. I wouldn't mind a thicker doll either, though. As long as they were made to look lovely. I love big hips/thighs, and a nice tummy.

11. Zuzus aren't really chubby, but they do have cute little tummies.

12. There's some more coming to the market nowadays. I haven't seen any clothes for them though :( only sculpts.

13. I'm going to have the oakbottom beechkiss girl. I don't know if she would be on topic or not. I only wish she was SD size so my Dollshe Saint could have the girl of his dreams. Then I could make him settle down and stop chasing women (as much).

14. I'd definitely be interested in more of a chubby BJD. They can still be tall and limber or short and petite, but instead of a flat stomach/abs, a bit of some cute sculpted love handles and a poochie tummy would be cute, ESPECIALLY along with some thighs that can actually touch together while standing (I'm looking at you, all you giant thigh gap dolls out there! :sneaky). I read the beginning of this thread, and it's very interesting to see how different the community and diversity of dolls are from way back then. There's a lot more big-hipped pear dolls, to be sure, though I'd still like more of an hourglass girl who doesn't do situps x'D.

But in terms of very fat BJDs, I don't think I'd be as interested. In terms of posing, I think a lot of people like the lines a body can make when you arch or slouch their back, or the negative space formed between limbs and so forth. The fact of the matter, is that thinner limbs better show these lines, as the less fat there is, the more you can see things like the smooth curvature of a spine. Also, the fact of the matter is that thinner limbs are easier to pose, in terms of doing things like crossing one's legs or arms. Of course, a real fat person can cross their legs, because fat squishes and conforms. However, a solid doll doesn't have the ability to squish fat, so you run into problems when you want to do things that involve dynamic posing.

I'm glad that Oakbottom dolls are going to be a thing, because it definitely opens up the community for more and more unique dolls. But I think that to tackle a BJD of that bodytype would require some very innovative jointing, which I don't really see the current creator doing. Granted, it's a work in progress of course, but seriously, just one slit in the hip balljoints?! The fact that this fatter doll's only method of sitting is with her legs wide open isn't very attractive. I hope she experiments more than that default, because not only does a fatter BJD *require* innovate jointing, it can actually incorporate unique jointing that wouldn't be as possible with other bodies! For instance, divided torsos for joints on skinny dolls usually show very conspicuous lines. HOWEVER, for a fatter doll, one can disguise the line for the torso joint under a layer of fat, so it looks more like a sculpted fat roll rather than an obvious joint! I'm not sure if that makes sense x'D, but I REALLY don't mean to put Oakbottom dolls down-- I think it's innovation with dolls, which I always find cool. I definitely do want to challenge them to do better, and if they don't care for my viewpoint, that's fine! They just won't have a customer in me, which is also fine :thumbup to each their own!

But I guess what I'm saying, is that the only way I'd be interested in a very fat doll is if he/she had some seriously innovative jointing that would make them fun to play with. I want my doll to do more than just sit and stand, so that's my personal interest in BJDs! Others may prefer that they have a doll that can just stand and sit, focusing instead on them looking pretty, and I suppose they could benefit more from the limited poseability that a traditionally jointed fatter doll would have.

15. I'm just so happy to see a little more variety for the dolls. I hope it continues. As I understand the designer for oakbottom is just one person. Beechkiss is her first doll, so I'm sure if it can be financially viable, there will be more dolls with more innovations. I wish the joints were a little different, but I'm just happy about her shape, it's a minor issue. Other than my tiny, I had zero interest in owning a girl doll. I'm a big lady, and I like being a big lady and I think big ladies are more beautiful. It's a minority opinion, I'm well aware. I just didn't want any kind of doll that I didn't think was attractive for me. I like all my friends' girl dolls, because they love them, but I never saw a girl one I 'had to have' until my friend sent me a link for the oakbottom beechkiss. It was instant love, even though I had not wanted to have anymore dolls for the rest of the year. One of my friends wants a fat boy doll, so that would be cool if the bigger girls catch on, maybe we will see some chubby boys!!!

16. I haven't noticed any mention of the Dollmore Alexis. She's definitely chunkier than most MSDs, more of a tween than a child or a teenager.